HyperPro Group Buy - Here It Is! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation HyperPro Group Buy - Here It Is!

Here is the information I promised on the HyperPro Group Buy. The information in black is my own, and the text below in dark blue was provided Steve Larson ("SteveLarson") with Annitori Distributing/Hyperpro USA.

Several points to keep in mind as you go through the technical information below:

1) You can pay by check or by credit card. If you pay by credit card, please fax or mail the form in, and then call in your credit card information. If paying by check, just mail your check with the form;

2) You will notice the damper is missing from the offer. I pointed this out to Steve and he will work on something for those who want steering dampers, and will post that info shortly;

3) GT riders, rejoice! You also qualify for the group buy;

4) If you want the adjustable rear, and want to use your own adjuster, you can send it in and they will install it for $40 additional. You can also install your own adjuster if you know how (I'll be paying $40!). If you want to send in an adjuster, but don't want your bike out of commission, maybe we can start a pool of adjusters to share and just play it forward. Or, you can likely buy a good used adjusters from a selection of our Premium Vendors. refer to the home page of BMWLT.com for links;

5) This offer positively ends on 15 January 2008. They wanted to end it at the end of December, but I convinced them that some folks might prefer/need to wait until after the holidays. Please, no whining on 16 January! Get your order in on time;

6) Those of you in the area, their facility is a big warehouse, nothing to look at, and no hospitality area. Telephone calls are encouraged to confirm details, ask questions about the product and the program, but please don't call HyperPro to talk about the riding weather up in their area. They are great folks, so let's be on our best behaviour. Yes, even me.

7) Shipping is included for CONUS orders. Non-CONUS orders are welcome, but please call for pricing on shipping to non-CONUS destinations.

OK, enough of that. Following is the information from HyperPro, and the order forms are attached in PDF and XLS format so pick your format and get going!

We are pleased to say we are able to offer 2 shock choices for the LT machine. The 3D emulsion (preload adjustable only, no added options available) version and the 3D "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version which boasts just about everything anybody would ever need in shock features and adjustability, including both 30 high speed compression and 30 low speed compression adjustability as well as 50 preload.

As an added upgrade for BMW owners, we are offering the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension as well, giving true performance addicts the same extensive features for the front shock as we offer for the rear shock. This will give serious suspension adjustability and control to the front, a huge "one up" on our competition for riders who demand "complete" adjustability front and rear.

Other features to note:

Length Adjust: We can offer the added benefit of length adjust to the remote reservoir versions, this is where the rider can adjust the height of the shock by 10mm or so, normally used for very specific setups where you are changing the “stance” of the motorcycle for handling purposes.

Overall Shock Length: This is not "length adjust", that is the feature noted above. Overall shock length is for people who wish to raise or lower the bike "permanently", or for customers with dragracing bikes, extended or modified swingarms, etc. Our guess is that most LT riders want stock replacement shocks, except those who wish to change the height of the bike in a permanent way. This option is the last line on the order form attached.

Another, and this is a biggie: We can offer something nobody else has, our remote reservoir version will have the ability for customers to use the OEM BMW remote preload assembly (RPA) on the Hyperpro 3D shock.

Let us explain:

OEM Remote Preload Adjuster: For the LT we have been able to design our shock to accept the OEM remote preload adjuster (RPA), which saves each buyer the added cost of adding the "aftermarket" RPA to the aftermarket shock. As these RPA's added on to an aftermarket shock are not cheap (ours sells for $279.95), this is a huge cost savings for a very useful feature. Our design will allow everybody to save a TON of money compared to any other comparable shock out there. The only reminder is that the customer has to remove the RPA from the stock shock and install it on our shock (about the same effort as a spring swap), and our shock HAS to be purchased with this option as "YES" to Original RPA so we design it correctly to accept the BMW RPA.

Or to say it another way, our standard Hyperpro design can accept our Hyperpro RPA, but not the BMW RPA, and the reverse is true as well; the Hyperpro RPA will not fit on a BMW RPA 3D design. The shocks are identical in terms of features and performance, just how we design to accept the RPA is the only difference.

There will be no added cost for having the shock designed with the BMW RPA option.

This is a huge benefit to LT riders, just need to be sure everybody understands BEFORE they place their order on which version of the shock they wish to have.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) Coating Standard: Hyperpro 3D shocks ALL come with DLC coated shafts. No other shock we know of uses this finish, a large step above Gold Nitrit and a million miles above standard chrome moly. DLC coatings exhibit high hardness, a low coefficient of friction, chemical resistance and wetability, and is the HIGHEST standard of finish on commercially available shocks. We do not know of any competitor offering this finish as STANDARD on their shocks, and most competitors add over $100 for the lesser gold nitrit.

16mm Shaft Design Standard: Our competitors use 14mm shafts at best, and do not to our knowledge offer anything larger. Larger shafts are stronger, but more importantly allow more fluid movement, which gives the Hyperpro 3D much better control over the damping circuits. This is a very important part of a shock design, and raises the Hyperpro 3D quality and function even higher, and beyond the reach of many competitors.

Spring Rate Choices: We will offer both straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices, simply note on the order form which you desire. We of course recommend and feel the rising rate springs are MUCH better choices, but we also understand that everyone has an opinion on this and rather then argue, just tell us what you want and you can have it.

Only stipulation is that Hyperpro rising rate springs are in the purple color, straight rate springs are black. Sorry, but we have to "show off" our products to everybody somehow, and the spring is what everybody sees first so it is our "brand" image.

There are many other reasons to purchase the Hyperpro 3D, but these are the major points. I will be happy to research and/or discuss any other questions anyone has about our shocks as needed.

On to pricing:

There is NOTHING pretty about exchange rates right now, but Retail Prices are:

Emulsion: $549.95

Triple Adjust w/ Reservoir: $949.95
+ DLC shaft coating - Standard
+ OEM RPA use: No Charge
+ Length Adjust add- $99.95
+ Hyperpro Remote Preload Adjuster add - $279.95

GROUP BUY PRICES:

Emulsion version - $499.95

"Triple Adjust w/ Reservoir - $799.95
+ Length Adjust add $99.95
+ Hyperpro Remote Preload Adjuster add $279.95

Sorry, there is no margin for us in the "upgrades", so have to do what we can with the shock price.

We expect most people to want the Triple Adjust, so we have priced this VERY aggressively, to see if we can both "hook" your BMW friends into Hyperpro, as well as making the GB worth doing for as many of your members as possible.

I know this is a bit long, I hope you understand most of it and please call me so we can discuss any questions you might have.

Steve Larson

Customer Support – Annitori Distributing
www.Annitori.com
[email protected]
1-888-963-1212
www.HyperproUSA.com

Attached Files
File Type: pdf HyperPro_3D_shock_order_ form_THROUGH_01-15-2008.pdf (46.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: xls HyperPro_3D_shock_order_ form_THROUGH_01-15-2008.xls (47.0 KB, 101 views)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:54 pm

Wow.. thanks, Tony!

Great, thorough job as usual, Tony!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 6:03 pm

I'd love to see one of the motorcycle magazines re-test the concours, FJR, ST1300 and K-GT with one of those re-done shock setups in front...

c'mon lotto...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 6:38 pm

I've got an adjuster if anyone needs it to keep the bike rolling while sending their's in.

rick b.
San Antonio
post #5 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 7:24 pm

OK, I look at the website and I'm confused.

I guess there has to be one guy that is confused.. so I will step up to the plate and be first to ask.

The website, when I select K1200LT 99 front >

I get.. one selection
  • BM12-005R
and when I select it shows me this picture.

And it says type 40/Emulsion...

If I select K1200 LT rear

I get two selections.
  • Emulsion Type 40 --------- BM12-006R
  • Remote reservoir type 41 -- BM12-006R
The Emulsion type 40 has this picture... and it is same picture as the front so I assume the design is similar only the characteristics and internal design is different. Again I have not had my shocks off or seen them off another LT.

and the Type 41 w/remote reservoir has this picture...

Since I have not taken my shocks off I do not know what I am looking at or for. I gather from the offer that the Type 41 with Remote Reservoir is available on both the front and back now!

Questions...
  1. Is that true?
  2. If it is is there a place to mount that reservoir?
The $279 adjuster is in addition to the remote reservoir and there is a place to mount that in the front also. I think I understand that would be the case for the rear. I just want to be sure that I'm reading this right.

I read the website for both front and rear shocks and also have a few more questions..
  1. Both front and rears have multiple levels of damping and compression settings?
  2. Both front and rear can be factory rebuildt?
  3. Without the added adjuster I cannot adjust the length of the shock easily. I will have to turn something with a spanner of some sort to manually adjust the sag of the rear?
  4. What is the average amount of miles that an average user consider rebuilding these? (I know it is variable to tastes)
  5. How much is a factory rebuild costing today?
  6. To remove the RPA from the stock shock and install it on our shock (about the same effort as a spring swap) is there any special tools required. To do spring usually requires a special tool.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Nov 30th, 2007 at 7:35 pm.
post #6 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:10 pm

Thanks for stepping up, Jack. I'll admit I'm more confused than you, but that's because of my lack of knowledge in this area. I'd be very hard-pressed to point to the shock on my LT. I'm sure it's down there somewhere!

My '05 needs new shocks and this group buy is a great deal, but I'd have to have a technical consultant help me figure out what all the terminology is and what I need/want. I don't have the first clue what most of it is.

Finally: It's one thing to take advantage of this group buy, but what about organizing a Group Install? Without someone to do this for me, or show me how to do it, these will be expensive bookends.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 74 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:27 pm

Question

So.... Huh.... What would it cost for Front and rear??? Assuming I want the triple... Maybe!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
So.... Huh.... What would it cost for Front and rear??? Assuming I want the triple... Maybe!
So let us know what you need and we will be happy to help you with any questions.

You have your choice of Emulsion or Remote Res. either available for either front or back, which means in the end you have just about every possible option at your call.

So, just let us know what it is you are looking for and we will match you up with what you need...

Steve Larson

Customer Support - Annitori Distributing

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #9 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
OK, I look at the website and I'm confused.
Sorry, the I.T. people did not move as fast as our exclusive offer to your Forum for a first shot at the new LT shock offerings, we apologize that you are reading "old" information on the general public site.

We have removed the LT "old" information, and will have the I.T. people update the site as soon as they can to the new 3D information.

Sorry to confuse anyone, did not foresee a "pre-release" Group Buy to become an issue of "confusion" for our customers.

The information here in the thread is correct, we will get the general public site updated as soon as we can.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #10 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 7:01 am

Keep it simple ! please...

I too am confused. I would like to simply (is that possible) know what the replacement cost would be to as closely as possible, duplicate/ replace both of the shocks I have with new ones. I am a little confused with the options/reserve? I generally ride solo, weight about 150 wet and love the standard K1200LT that I own. I do not wish to change the height or the way it used to ride as new. Help!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 7:26 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Steve e-mail sent to help me sort out the confusion.

I have no clue as this is all Greek. Well I do have a clue but need you to look over the e-mail and invoice or quote me and I will call with the CC number. The only other thing is the steering dampener and I included that in my e-mail.

I thank you for your time and the opportunity you are giving us at BMW LT to get your products at a reduced price.

And thank you deputy5211 for your work and time on bringing this to us.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:11 am.
post #12 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 7:49 am

OK, maybe I can help...

I have posted here the two shocks which are available, so as to clear up that part of the topic quickly:

The photo above is the "top of the line" Type 461 "triple" shock; what 99% of you are wanting for the rear shock.

The photo above is our RPA (Remote Preload Adjuster), the BMW one on your shock now looks very similar and does exactly the same thing. The RPA is the convenience feature that attaches to the top of the Type 461 shock and allows you to adjust preload from the outside of the motorcycle, thus not having to reach in with a wrench and turn the collar on the shock. Whether you choose the OEM (which requires one extra step for you to remove the BMW RPA from your shock and install it on the Hyperpro shock) or the Hyperpro version (already installed, all you do is "swap out" your shock for ours), 99.99% of you want this feature.

The photo above is the Type 460 Emulsion shock, which 75% of you are probably wanting for the front shock replacement. We say 75% because there are probably 25% or more riders out there (and BMW riders especially) who want to use the Type 461 "triple" on the front as well to have maximum suspension control and adjustabilty at both ends. Whether or not "you" want to do that is really just a question of how much control you want at both ends, and what $300 means to you.

Let's hope this helps clear the first part of any confusion, please email me for specific questions, or post up here if you feel the question is of a nature that everyone can benefit from and I will do my best to keep an eye on the thread throughout the weekend and give you our best answers.

Trust me... By the time we finish up here you will all be suspension experts!!!

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #13 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:09 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help with the Group Buy. Your last email helped me a lot but I think there are many riders like me that are new to all the options available with the shocks.

If I just want to replace my current shocks with HyperPro shocks that are as close to the original as possible I would order the following:

Front: Type 460 emulsion

Rear: Type 460 emulsion with BMW RPA option

Is this correct?

The other option is for us to upgrade to the 461 "triple adjust with resevoir" which is available for both the front and rear. Do I understand that correctly?

If I understand that correctly can someone explain why I would want to upgrade? I can understand this if I was racing but what if I'm just an average LT rider?

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #14 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:05 am

The way I read it the BMW preload feature is only available on the 3D shock. I see what several of us are getting at and I agree, the 3d is overkill for the majority of us riders, but the minor remote preload adjustability is handy.

I too would be most interested in a remote preload adjustable Emulsion rear shock, but that does not seem to be an option. Although I would love to spend a day at the track setting up a suspension, there is no way I am going to be able to justify the time and cost on any street bike.

I appreciate the effort you guys put into putting this buy together, and I hope you aren't upset if you missed your target audience with the available options, but I'm looking for an aftermarket option in the $500-$600 per shock range. Used and return shocks can be found below this range, and since they are rebuildable, not a big purchase risk.

Again, thanks a ton for putting this package together. I hope it works out well for everyone, and I'll monitor for future updates

Edit - If what Kevin says is true, and my stock adjuster can be used on the Emulsion model, then we are right were I need to be cost wise. Thanks again

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 1:29 pm
mos

Ok let me ask this question. I have a 05 KLT with 11,000 miles on her . I like the twisties. Hate the kick stand hitting the blacktop. Ride two up 75% of the time . I am 160# passenger is 128# . What improvements can I except with the Hyper shock upgrade and what would be my total cost for front & rear shocks?
Thanks
post #16 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 1:40 pm

Quote:
If I just want to replace my current shocks with HyperPro shocks that are as close to the original as possible I would order the following:

Front: Type 460 emulsion

Rear: Type 460 emulsion with BMW RPA option

Is this correct?

The other option is for us to upgrade to the 461 "triple adjust with resevoir" which is available for both the front and rear. Do I understand that correctly?
Close, but no...

The RPA option is ONLY available on the 461, not the Emulsion 460. So the most common and normal package is the 460 front and the 461 rear.

Quote:
I too would be most interested in a remote preload adjustable Emulsion rear shock, but that does not seem to be an option. Although I would love to spend a day at the track setting up a suspension, there is no way I am going to be able to justify the time and cost on any street bike.
I think that some of you are missing what high performance shocks do, and why they are important for the overall enjoyment of your machine.

High performance does not mean "racetrack"... Why do you think you like your LT over a Honda CB250? They are both motorcycles, they both go down the road...?

You own a top machine because you believe you are getting a higher quality of parts with more engineering to give you more control over your machine, thus giving you a better experience when you ride.

That is what highly adjustable shocks add to your BMW. A much higher level of engineering and control, with a ton of adjustability so you can fine tune the most important aspect of your machine to exactly what you demand it to do.

And that has nothing to do with a racetrack.

With a few part swaps I bet we could take an AMA Pro Superbike and have it handling BETTER then your stock LT in every situation your LT (not racetrack) rides in.

Why can we do that? Because we have the fundemental parts which give us the ability to adjust anything, to whatever we want it to be.

That is what you are paying for.

You do not need to be at a "track" to set up suspension, and you do not need to be deeply versed in pagen black magic to learn, understand and use the basic fundamentals of what suspension does for you and your machine. It is not that hard...

Why can so many Americans quote verbatim the ins and outs of Nitrous on their bikes, but don't have the faintest idea what those knobs on their suspension even do?

Because you learned what Nitrous does but nobody ever taught you anything about suspension.

Oh well, no time like the present!

Once you learn what suspension does for your ride, you will kick yourself in the butt for wasting all those years never riding a bike that was actually setup as "you" wanted it.

In the end, there is nothing different between what a racebike needs to be "perfect" and what your machine needs to be "perfect". Everybody is looking for the most perfect ride and control, which you get through real adjustability.

And there is nothing "magic" about suspension, so forget the B.S. that only a so called suspension "guru" can discern the fog in their crystal ball and set up your bike.

Baloney...!

A few days of practice, a couple of trial and errors, and you can have 4 or 5 specific setups for your machine that you can switch in and out of in 90 seconds or less. Each giving you EXACTLY what you need to make the motorcycle 10 times more fun and comfortable to ride.

That is all a Type 461 shock is offering. It is still just a shock, but now you have the keys to control in YOUR hands. And with a small amount of effort and a few days of practice, you can transform your machine from one you spend your time working "around" its faults, to one which YOU control and determine the exact nature of in any situation.

Yes, maybe this is not for everybody, nothing is. But doesn't it seem incredibly silly to spend days researching and arguing what are the best tires for your LT and then attach them to something you have no idea or ability of how to control?

So don't be afraid to learn something new. It is quite easy and once you have even a few basics understood, you will have a 1000 times more fun riding your machine.

Please ask away, if there is something not understood I will see if we can get you a basic understanding, and there are thousands of reads all over the internet on suspension theory. Dig in, and if we can, we are happy to help you through it.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy

Last edited by SteveLarson; Dec 1st, 2007 at 1:58 pm.
post #17 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
Ok let me ask this question. I have a 05 KLT with 11,000 miles on her . I like the twisties. Hate the kick stand hitting the blacktop. Ride two up 75% of the time . I am 160# passenger is 128# . What improvements can I except with the Hyper shock upgrade and what would be my total cost for front & rear shocks?
Thanks
Well, that depends. Are you riding the LT like a GSXR-1000? Maybe the best solution is to get a GSXR

Seriously, it sounds like you just need to improve the basic setup of the machine, as a combined 300 lbs is probably to the upper end of the stock suspension range. Thus, when you get a bit "spirited" in your riding, the suspension is overworked, softens and then you start dragging things.

Other question would be to ask if you are riding the twisties two up, or is that only when you are alone? This will lead to our asking which aspect of the machine are you most interested in perfecting, and then we can design your shocks towards what you most desire from your machine.

All of this is of course assuming that you are riding within the design parameters of an LT, because it is not a GSXR and no amount of shock is going to change that. But we would guess you already understand that...

So a Type 460 front ($499.95) and a Type 461 rear ($799.95) setup to your riding and weights would be a huge improvement over what you have now, with the only consideration being that "if" you are that interested in the twisties, maybe you would consider the Type 461 for the front as well to give you even more range of control front and rear.

All of which will get you much better action and control over the rough stuff, while keeping the bike stable and firmly planted to the pavement during your more "spirited" rides in the twisties. Nothing lost, and a ton to be gained...

Hope this helps, let me know if I have answered your question for you...

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #18 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 4:32 pm

Steve, I like your style of explaining the options to those of us who aren't mechanical engineers, or who haven't been riding since Steve McQueen was a toddler.

What do you recommend for those of us who ride our LTs conservatively, especially two-up, AND who are both heavy weights? I weigh 250#; with full gear on I'm sure I approach 280# or more. (OK, I"m guessing what an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants plus boots, Gerbing's liner, gloves and helmet weighs but you get the idea) Add a passenger who is no spring chicken and our shocks are shot. Can the HyperPro products be setup for heavier rider/passenger combos? Would adding the length option help in this area?

Two-up I ride conservatively. One-up I ride a little more assertively, but nothing like some of the expert riders on this site. I like the idea of the RPA as it is on my stock shock.

What do you recommend?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Dec 1st, 2007 at 9:12 pm.
post #19 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 5:54 pm

Question Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLarson
OK, maybe I can help...

I have posted here the two shocks which are available, so as to clear up that part of the topic quickly:

The photo above is the "top of the line" Type 461 "triple" shock; what 99% of you are wanting for the rear shock.

The photo above is our RPA (Remote Preload Adjuster), the BMW one on your shock now looks very similar and does exactly the same thing. The RPA is the convenience feature that attaches to the top of the Type 461 shock and allows you to adjust preload from the outside of the motorcycle, thus not having to reach in with a wrench and turn the collar on the shock. Whether you choose the OEM (which requires one extra step for you to remove the BMW RPA from your shock and install it on the Hyperpro shock) or the Hyperpro version (already installed, all you do is "swap out" your shock for ours), 99.99% of you want this feature.

The photo above is the Type 460 Emulsion shock, which 75% of you are probably wanting for the front shock replacement. We say 75% because there are probably 25% or more riders out there (and BMW riders especially) who want to use the Type 461 "triple" on the front as well to have maximum suspension control and adjustabilty at both ends. Whether or not "you" want to do that is really just a question of how much control you want at both ends, and what $300 means to you.

Let's hope this helps clear the first part of any confusion, please email me for specific questions, or post up here if you feel the question is of a nature that everyone can benefit from and I will do my best to keep an eye on the thread throughout the weekend and give you our best answers.

Trust me... By the time we finish up here you will all be suspension experts!!!

Steve Larson
Steve can you show actual examples of both front and rear triple shocks. The examples do not show the preload adjuster, only the Remote resevoir with Hi Lo speed compression adjusters.
Why do you guys not have rebound adjustability?
Also I assume the front shock only has compression dampening adjustments and not hydraulic preload adjustments ?
Are the shock bodies steel or aluminum?
Sorry to be a pest, Oh is the price posted per shock or for the pair?
Thanks!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #20 of 74 Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Close, but no...

The RPA option is ONLY available on the 461, not the Emulsion 460. So the most common and normal package is the 460 front and the 461 rear.

I think that some of you are missing what high performance shocks do, and why they are important for the overall enjoyment of your machine.

High performance does not mean "racetrack"... Why do you think you like your LT over a Honda CB250? They are both motorcycles, they both go down the road...?

You own a top machine because you believe you are getting a higher quality of parts with more engineering to give you more control over your machine, thus giving you a better experience when you ride.

That is what highly adjustable shocks add to your BMW. A much higher level of engineering and control, with a ton of adjustability so you can fine tune the most important aspect of your machine to exactly what you demand it to do.

And that has nothing to do with a racetrack.

With a few part swaps I bet we could take an AMA Pro Superbike and have it handling BETTER then your stock LT in every situation your LT (not racetrack) rides in.

Why can we do that? Because we have the fundemental parts which give us the ability to adjust anything, to whatever we want it to be.

That is what you are paying for.

You do not need to be at a "track" to set up suspension, and you do not need to be deeply versed in pagen black magic to learn, understand and use the basic fundamentals of what suspension does for you and your machine. It is not that hard...

Why can so many Americans quote verbatim the ins and outs of Nitrous on their bikes, but don't have the faintest idea what those knobs on their suspension even do?

Because you learned what Nitrous does but nobody ever taught you anything about suspension.

Oh well, no time like the present!

Once you learn what suspension does for your ride, you will kick yourself in the butt for wasting all those years never riding a bike that was actually setup as "you" wanted it.

In the end, there is nothing different between what a racebike needs to be "perfect" and what your machine needs to be "perfect". Everybody is looking for the most perfect ride and control, which you get through real adjustability.

And there is nothing "magic" about suspension, so forget the B.S. that only a so called suspension "guru" can discern the fog in their crystal ball and set up your bike.

Baloney...!

A few days of practice, a couple of trial and errors, and you can have 4 or 5 specific setups for your machine that you can switch in and out of in 90 seconds or less. Each giving you EXACTLY what you need to make the motorcycle 10 times more fun and comfortable to ride.

That is all a Type 461 shock is offering. It is still just a shock, but now you have the keys to control in YOUR hands. And with a small amount of effort and a few days of practice, you can transform your machine from one you spend your time working "around" its faults, to one which YOU control and determine the exact nature of in any situation.

Yes, maybe this is not for everybody, nothing is. But doesn't it seem incredibly silly to spend days researching and arguing what are the best tires for your LT and then attach them to something you have no idea or ability of how to control?

So don't be afraid to learn something new. It is quite easy and once you have even a few basics understood, you will have a 1000 times more fun riding your machine.

Please ask away, if there is something not understood I will see if we can get you a basic understanding, and there are thousands of reads all over the internet on suspension theory. Dig in, and if we can, we are happy to help you through it.

Steve Larson
Steve,
Does the 461 using the BMW RPA amount without any modifications?

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #21 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 9:48 am

Quote:
What do you recommend for those of us who ride our LTs conservatively, especially two-up, AND who are both heavy weights? I weigh 250#; with full gear on I'm sure I approach 280# or more. (OK, I"m guessing what an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants plus boots, Gerbing's liner, gloves and helmet weighs but you get the idea) Add a passenger who is no spring chicken and our shocks are shot. Can the HyperPro products be setup for heavier rider/passenger combos? Would adding the length option help in this area?

Two-up I ride conservatively. One-up I ride a little more assertively, but nothing like some of the expert riders on this site. I like the idea of the RPA as it is on my stock shock.
You are a bit on the end of the "bell curve" for the stock suspension (see #2 below), so you are a fantastic opportunity to prove #2 below.

BMW simply cannot "fit" your situation into its conclusion, so a pair of shocks setup to what you describe above will re-define the machine as you ride it. Not because we are "genius", but because just getting a pair of shocks that center more around your situation will be something you have never been privy to.

Add in adjustability, and you will be able to finally enjoy the LT as it was designed to be ridden.

Please keep in mind there is nothing wrong with BMW. But they have to create a motorcycle within two very REAL constraints.

1) Cost
2) Sales

Cost means that although every designer envisions perfection, the real world says something else. And if $15,000 is the target retail price that marketing has set, then all you have to do is work the number backwards and as a manufacturer you know what you get to spend. Guess that counts out the $25,000 front forks... But that is what Bimota is for!!!!

Sales is the other reality since once a shock has been chosen by BMW, they have to find the settings and setup that fit the "most" number of people, so they can sell the most number of units, and get their profits back.

Great if you fit this window (ever wonder why the seat is X distance from the handlebars, the pegs are Y, etc?), but with 5 billion people on the Earth things get a bit "generic" very quickly.

For the passion of motorcycles, there is a good thought to remember:

What do you get when you have a committee design a horse? A camel...

Call me Monday and I will be happy to speak with you directly and help sort the shock setup with you.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #22 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Steve can you show actual examples of both front and rear triple shocks. The examples do not show the preload adjuster, only the Remote resevoir with Hi Lo speed compression adjusters.
I have emailed manufacturing to see if they have actual photo's of the shocks, sorry but that is not usually something we take pictures of. Let's see if anybody has one and I will post it if it exists.

The RPA simply mounts to the top of the 461 shock where the "wrench collar" is now, if that helps at all...

Quote:
Why do you guys not have rebound adjustability?
Rebound (50 clicks) is of course on ALL our shocks (see the original text), our mistake as we get a bit forgetful that what we know and do all day, every day, is not obivious to others. Sorry about that!

Quote:
Also I assume the front shock only has compression dampening adjustments and not hydraulic preload adjustments ?
My mistake again, let me see if I can sort this...

Front has two options available: Type 460 (Rebound ONLY) and Type 461 "triple".

Rear has two options available: Type 460 (rebound only) and Type 461 "triple", and only the 461 can have an RPA attached.

Quote:
Are the shock bodies steel or aluminum?
Billet aluminum for all our 3D designs. 100% manufactured "in house", we have complete control over our shock bodies.

Quote:
Sorry to be a pest, Oh is the price posted per shock or for the pair?
Prices are for each shock as there a more then a few combinations which LT riders will want to create.

And you are not a pest...

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #23 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:15 am

Quote:
Does the 461 using the BMW RPA amount without any modifications?
Do you mean can you attach the BMW RPA to a Hyperpro Type 461 (with the BMW RPA option) without any modifications?

Yes. The BMW RPA installs on to our shock with no modifications as long as you have ordered it with the BMW RPA option in place.

(You do need to disassemble the Hyperpro shock when you get it, install your BMW RPA and then reassemble. It is the same as doing a spring swap, so any shop should be able to do this with ease. But there are no "modifications".)

If you are asking if the shock bolts onto the bike with no modifications, yes again. Take yours out, put ours in, mount the remotes and you are done.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #24 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:15 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Rebound (50 clicks) is of course on ALL our shocks (see the original text), our mistake as we get a bit forgetful that what we know and do all day, every day, is not obivious to others. Sorry about that!

Steve Larson
And this is my next question.

How does one know where to start? I mean the rear is one thing with the adjust, but how do you set the front one and know you are close? And then what, if not?

Do you have literature, is there a formula based on some type of criteria?

And with rebound circuit, clicking one way or the other how wide of range is that, and what effect will that have on the other, dampening ?

Any information on that would be good to know.

Thank you for your patience.

All I know is EVERY car or bike I have owned I have upgraded shocks and it is night and day. I think it is where every manufacturer saves money, car or bike. Front fork springs on bikes is another area of cheapness in my opinion.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #25 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 2:52 pm

OK, a very, very simple starting guide:

There are 3 circuits to a top shelf shock which you can with great ease adjust. High Speed Compression, Low Speed Compression and Rebound.

High Speed Compression: This has NOTHING to do with the speed of the bike, it has to do with the speed of the shock movement. A ripple in the pavement, a sharp edge bump, these are "high speed" compressions. The shock has to move VERY rapidly to react.

Low Speed Compression: Again, nothing to do with the speed of the bike. A long, up and down hilly road where as you reach the bottom of the hill the suspension compresses. The suspension is constantly compressing (albeit slowly which is why it is called "low speed") as you get to the bottom of the hill.

Rebound: The part of a shock that once one of the two above actions has taken place, controls the "unwind" of the shock (spring) so you do not shoot up in the air and hit low flying aircraft. Also related to the "top of the hill" part of the ride.

There, some of you have just learned something new, which means you can now go have a beer, the day is a success! At least that is my theory...

Onward...

So, how do you learn how to manage these?

Read, ride, write, think and practice...

What do you need? Your bike, your brain, your butt and a notebook with something to write with.

Read: We know that as Americans we want everything spoon fed to us, 30 seconds or less to get see the headline, get the story and have complete resolution. Sorry, this takes a bit more...

There are thousands of discussions on suspension, and you have started by reading this one, so you are on your way. Just don't stop, and if something seems interesting, read it, try it, make your own opinion. Just be careful of website forums, the number of posts you have does not make you an authority on anything except having too much free time for web surfing...!

Ride: This is where YOU are going to start learning to form your own opinion.

First, the legal stuff: No where, no how, no matter what DO NOT DO ANYTHING that breaks any laws, or puts you or your machine in danger. This is not a race, this is not about testing the "limits". Ride within your ability, ride safely and obey all laws. If you feel uncomfortable with any aspect of these tests, do not do them...

First, find a favorite stretch of road, one with conditions that meet your test needs. Let's start basic; find a long hilly road, lots of gentle ups and downs where you can feel the tops and bottoms effecting the bike. Then we need a second road with lots of "stutter" bumps or such, harsh pavements which will give us some testing of the high speed compression settings.

Set all your suspension settings in the "middle".

Pick a correct speed, and ride the stretch of road a few times. Get a feel for it, take notice of how the bike is acting, how the suspension is responding. After a few runs up and down the same stretch of road, at the SAME speed and conditions each time, pull over in a safe spot.

Write down EXACTLY what the suspension settings were, and your thoughts... ALL of them. Don't worry, nobody is spell checking, nobody else is going to read this, nobody is going to critique your thoughts. And forget high tech suspension words, you are not talking to a tuner, you are writing notes to yourself.

So be expressive, try to put all you are feeling in your butt, sensing with your brain, everything you can relate as to how you "feel" the suspension is acting, feeling, doing. There are NO WRONG ANSWERS!

Then pick ONE circuit (high, low, rebound) and move it all the way to the lowest setting.

Repeat the above exercise. Same road, SAME speed, same conditions.

Pick the next page in your notebook, put in the EXACT suspension settings, and then all your thoughts and feelings.

Now, put that damping circuit all the way to the other direction. If you were "off", make it full on. Or vice-versa...

Again, SAME road, SAME speed, SAME conditions until you have an opinion. No variables allowed except the change you made to the circuit.

BIG NOTE!!! Do not re-read your last notes and then write. Forget everything from the previous test and just try to feel what the change you have made has done to the bike. Write what you notice and feel, and again do not shorten up your thoughts. The more the better, you will need all you can re-read for later.

I will guess you are getting the idea now of what is next...

All back to the middle, another damping circuit, another set of tests.

Write, write, write!!!

OK, now you have a bunch of pages for that road. Guess what?

Repeat on the "other" road, same tests, same note taking.

I know, what a pain in the butt. Wow, having to spend an afternoon riding your motorcycle in the name of science!!! The torture, the absolute torture of it all!!!

If you have done this correctly, you are going to end up with a notebook containing many 1/2 pages of thoughts on each of the damping circuits and how you "felt" they effected the ride on each of the roads.

Now for the fun part.

End of the day, everything is done, grab a beer or nice glass of red wine and sit your butt in your favorite easy chair.

And start re-reading your notes.

At first, it will seem like a jumbled mess of thoughts. If you have done it correctly, it should. (If you cheated and re-read your last notes before writing new thoughts, then you will find that your writings try to tie everything together. That makes things tougher, so hopefully you did not do this. If you did, then you probably have to re-do your tests and notes.)

But what you will find very quickly is that after reading, then re-reading, a pattern starts to emerge of "which part" is doing "what"... Yes, this is all very raw data, and the results are very "extreme", but you will start to discover exactly what it is that each of these circuits is doing.

Find a pattern, and think about it. "Well, if high does this, and low does that on my road, then setting high at "X" and low at "Y" should do "Z" to the bike".

Write this down on a new page.

Then read some more. And think some more. And come up with more scenario's, what you believe each combination will do if your thoughts are correct.

Write each of them down in separate spaces across pages. You are not trying to find "answers", you are trying to confirm that you understand what the circuits are doing. So make up combinations that may be useless, but which you believe will result in a particular outcome.

Next chance you have (no, not after killing a 12 pack or the entire wine cellar!) go out to the same roads, same conditions, same speed and PRACTICE your settings to see if you are correct. Test your guesses, see if what you thought was going to happen, actually did happen. If not, write down what DID happen, and move on to the next settings you are trying. If yes, write down what did happen and move on to your next test. But you have to write, there is no way on Earth you are ever going to remember all the possible scenario's and combinations.

(Now you know what our little notebooks from the 'ol days and laptops in modern times contain!!!)

Back to the easy chair... (Brutal trying to learn suspension, huh?)

What most of you are going to find quite quickly is that your "guesses" stop being wrong very quickly, and what you think is going to happen, DOES HAPPEN!!!

Wow!!! You are now a suspension tuner!!!

Well, not really. But you do now understand what all those little knobs are, what they do, and all you have to do is PRACTICE your settings until you have a few that meet your needs.

What do you think all those practice laps in racing are all about? It is just looking at their notes, putting in settings and then working them to what is out there. A bit of overkill for all us mere mortals, but really it is nothing more then what we have just described above.

Seriously, it is really this basic. You are not trying to tune for World Superbike, you are trying to get the machine to ride the way YOU want it to ride in "general" situations. Mountians, city, curvy, straight, etc...

So instead of "max on - max off", you can now start fine tuning the knobs until you reach a combination that is what you like for "smooth hilly roads with easy turns", as compared to "crappy road, straight" or "smooth and flat"... 12 clicks here, 17 clicks there, 22 on this and you have "that" result.

And once you have these, you put the 4 or 5 combinations on a card that you stick on your bike, and anytime you change riding styles you look at your card, dial in your settings, and 90 seconds later you are exactly where you want to be...

Best of all, it is what YOU want, what YOU like, for how YOU ride.

Isn't that what motorcycles are all about...?

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #26 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 3:18 pm

Quote:
What do you recommend for those of us who ride our LTs conservatively, especially two-up, AND who are both heavy weights? I weigh 250#; with full gear on I'm sure I approach 280# or more. (OK, I"m guessing what an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants plus boots, Gerbing's liner, gloves and helmet weighs but you get the idea) Add a passenger who is no spring chicken and our shocks are shot. Can the HyperPro products be setup for heavier rider/passenger combos? Would adding the length option help in this area?...
Quote:
You are a bit on the end of the "bell curve" for the stock suspension (see #2 below), so you are a fantastic opportunity to prove #2 below...
Steve Larson
Thanks for the info, Steve. I'll chew on this for awhile.

"a bit on the end of the 'bell curve'"... so that's where I am!
You are a diplomat.

Thing is, I know we've got some really... large riders out there. Hopefully they will benefit from this discussion, also.

What about the extra length option? What is that for... what does it give you?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 5:45 pm

Hey;

What happened to the steering dampner deal?

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #28 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:37 pm

Thanks Steve for being so patient.

Simple posts seem to get the best and most concise answers so..

Questions..
  1. Are Hyperpro Shocks factory rebuildable?
  2. What is the recommended rebuild cycle. (20k, 40k, 100k)
  3. If there is not a recommended cycle what are the obvious signs other than a leak that I would look for?
  4. What the cost of a factory rebuild on a 460?
  5. What is the cost of a factory rebuild on a 461?
I have more but I don't want to get carried away.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #29 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve, for the ongoing education. From our conversations, you already know I know little about how all this ties together, but I feel that I have a place to start. I really appreciate all of the time you put into working with me to develop this deal, and I am somewhat amazed by the incredible input you have added via this thread.

Darn, I'll have to spend a lot of time riding the bike to get this dialed in the way I like it. Well, heck, I suppose I'll just do it and take one for the team.

I want the steering damper as well, and you may recall seeing a bunch of interest in the prior thread. Thanks for doing the research and working that in. Call me or email me when you have something and we will get it moving.

Best,
Anthony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #30 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:33 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I was hoping to take one for the team also, and get mine ordered tomorrow.

I figured Steve would have the Dampener pricing figured out pretty quickly

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #31 of 74 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 8:21 pm

I will respond to the questions in the morning, time for relaxation around here!!!

I am waiting for my sales people on the steering damper kit pricing, should have that in the morning.

As for "taking one for the team". Yeah, nothing worse then having to tell the wife you cannot go curtain shopping because you have a very important scientific project to complete. All the while you are out riding your motorcycle and sitting in your easy chair drinking beer!!!

Oh, the horror... the horror...

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #32 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:38 am

End of Bell Curve

Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I tooo am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn.
Thank you for the education on shocks and all your time.
Brian Fairbank
post #33 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:26 am

Wow!

I think this is one of the most interesting and valuable threads we've had on the forum. I think these are awesome shocks at a good price. I'll be jumping on this once I've digested all the information

Steve: thanks so much for your patience and assistance in this...you're doing a helluva good job and it's appreciated!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #34 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:16 am

OK, after all the discussion here and in emails, we have come to realize that our product offerings might not have been the best on our first try. So I have spent the morning on the phone with R&D, and here is what I think we have worked out given all of your input.

This might get a bit confusing, but we are trying to respond to the "wants" of the riders (you) as compared to what we "geeks" sometimes "think" people want to buy. But that is why customer support, marketing and R&D all have to work together!!!

The Emulsion shock in the rear is not going to be offered as it does not offer the ability for us to meet the needs of you, the riders.

We have decided to drop the 460 and instead offer the Type 466 "de Carbon" shock, which looks exactly the same as the 460 Emulsion version, but internally is VERY different.

The Type 466 uses separate gas and oil (opposite of an emulsion), just like a remote reservoir version uses. The nitrogen and the oil do not mix or interact at all, making for better action which the rear shock needs, and eliminates any concerns we have about the overall performance of the shock in a rear application. Of course the Type 466 has fully adjustable rebound...

The reason for my wanting to change our offerings is that the Type 466 DOES give us is the ability to offer a very high quality and high performance shock in a much less expensive version then the Type 461 . Only things missing are the remote high and low speed compression adjustability (which most of you do not seem to want to deal with and that is quite OK!!!!), and the remote reservoir which your stock shock does not have either.

So in the end, you we can now offer you a true high performance shock, without all the "bells and whistles", for much less money then the Type 461.

So what is the change in price?

The Type 466 we can Group Buy here for $539.95, which is $40 more then the Emulsion version offered at the start of this thread.

We have only one condition for the moment, we need to get the LT back into R&D to confirm that the RPA options (which we are 95% sure are OK) do work also on the Type 466. We are told R&D will have the bike in at the end of the week so we can sort this for good.

Please keep in mind the Type 461 is still available for the rear, so those of you wanting access to all the adjustability can still get it. And the front offerings are still the same, the Emulsion and the "Triple", so nothing has changed there.

We are simply trying to adjust our product offerings, features and price points to what you the customers want and need, which we think is what we have done here.

Or, I have just made the entire world more confusing, and if that is the case, then I am very sorry!

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #35 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:35 am

Given my post above, I thought I would now clear up some general questions.

Q - "What is the best combination?" seems to be a big part of our emails.

A - Everybody has different wants, needs and price levels. So here is "my" best help:

From a "I need new shocks" or "I am not part of the standard bell curve" standpoint, the Emulsion front and the de Carbon 466 rear with (we hope and will know for sure in a week or so) the OEM RPA. In the Group Buy this will run you $499 + $539, so you have a pair of immensely better shocks designed to you and your riding as compared to stock, for very little expense. This will give you a pair of shocks which are miles above stock in terms of design, performance, ride, setup (we will make them to your criteria) and rebuildability, all at a great price.

From a seriously good "I want to play a little but not learn Calculus" standpoint, the Emulsion front and 461 rear.

For the very serious rider who demands complete suspension control and adjustability, then the "triples" front and rear are the way to go.

Q - Rebuilability?

Yes, fully. We recommend service every 2 years or 40,000 km, of course all depending on how you use the shock. Three months on gravel roads is very different then 1 year on I-80...

Parts are a couple of seals, o-rings, oil, gas and labor, we charge $149.95 including parts. Costs from others may vary on who is doing the work, but $125 to $195 including parts is a common range we see.

Q - Warranty?

Yes, 5 years on workmanship, craftsmanship and materials. No, crashing does not count...

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy

Last edited by SteveLarson; Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:54 am.
post #36 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf70
Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I tooo am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn.
Thank you for the education on shocks and all your time.
Brian Fairbank
OK, this one is a bit more involved...

Yes, we can make longer shocks, but there are negative consequences for doing it this way.

The bike will be taller, so you will need longer legs and all that goes with that. There will be issues with the sidestand and centerstand, the centerstand becoming a larger issue the higher you go. Most critically, the handling and braking of the bike will be altered, and this makes everyone involved very nervous, and leads us to not recommend this direction. It is just not the way to go...

The shock design and spring choice is the correct way to go, and when you fill out the criteria sheet to purchase our shock you are going to tell us what we need to know to make sure the shock is designed with your factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that NO shock can be both a GSXR racetrack and I-80 Superslab design. There has to be compromise somewhere, and that is why we like to speak with our customers as we design the shocks for them. You need to understand and know "what" part of the ride you want to focus on most, so we can "center" the shock design there, but still have some "left and right range" to the shock so it meets your lesser needs as well.

For those of you on the "edges" of the bell curve, the solution is not that difficult for us. We just move the bell curve over to meet your needs, and that is something most of you have never experienced with stock machines.

My guess is you are really, really, REALLY going to like it!

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #37 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:46 am

Steve, Thanks again for posting more details. Good thing we have 6 weeks. I'm leaning toward the 461 model even though I probably won't use 75% of it capabilities. I don't want to regret not going the extra. I'm undecided about what to do with the front.

When I look at your RPA it looks like it is a cable type assembly that operates a worm gear to move the adjuster. The BMW RPA uses oil to do the same thing. Is this a correct assumption?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #38 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:51 am

Question

Steve, I would like to know if you "spring" the shocks based on rider and possibly passenger + gear total weight and riding style, like Ohlin does?

TIA.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #39 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Steve, Thanks again for posting more details. Good thing we have 6 weeks. I'm leaning toward the 461 model even though I probably won't use 75% of it capabilities. I don't want to regret not going the extra. I'm undecided about what to do with the front.

When I look at your RPA it looks like it is a cable type assembly that operates a worm gear to move the adjuster. The BMW RPA uses oil to do the same thing. Is this a correct assumption?
No, ours is hydraulic, uses oil just like the BMW unit...

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #40 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Steve, I would like to know if you "spring" the shocks based on rider and possibly passenger + gear total weight and riding style, like Ohlin does?

TIA.
Yes, that is what the criteria sheet (attachment in the first post) is used for. We want to know LOTS of things so we get the shock designed correctly for you.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #41 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:52 pm

Question

Steve,

So the price for the triple adjust with Hyper pro remote preload adjuster front and rear shocks is $799.95+$279.95X2= $ 2158.8

Rather pricy indeed !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #42 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 6:55 pm

466?

I'm waiting to hear how the 466 works out. It seems to me to be the closest to the stock shock in adjustabilty. The less for me to adjust, the less I will screw up. Some of us just shouldn't have to much to play with.
post #43 of 74 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf70
Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I too am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn...
I'm so glad to be a useful example for someone, although I'm not sure it's a compliment in this case.

Gosh guys, I don't think I'm a Refrigerator Perry or anything, but yeah, let's face it: I'm overweight. Doc says lose 50#. I've met a number of people on this site and elsewhere on bikes and more of them are in my "shape" (hey, round IS a shape!) than are height-weight appropriate. Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd...

But then, maybe you were referring to my general size (XL) AND riding style (conservative). I'm hoping that's the case.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #44 of 74 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 1:26 pm

First off, could you explain more about the straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices? Then could you explain how getting the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension would be a plus for street riders or is that just an advantage for racing? Where would one install the RPA at the front? What are the advantages to the average street rider with Length Adjust? Also what tools are needed to put the OEM RPA on the new shock?

Last edited by tonyn1; Dec 4th, 2007 at 1:51 pm.
post #45 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:13 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Steve any word on the steering damper cost yet?

And do I need an install kit for it?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #46 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Pete, you double charged yourself. If you use the OEM RPA you don't need the Hyperpro RPA, so your cost per shock will be $799 + $99 Length adjust if you feel it necessary to have.

Personally I don't think I would get the triple for the front, so my cost would go down, but even with the group buy the deal is still pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Steve,

So the price for the triple adjust with Hyper pro remote preload adjuster front and rear shocks is $799.95+$279.95X2= $ 2158.8

Rather pricy indeed !

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #47 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
First off, could you explain more about the straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices? Then could you explain how getting the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension would be a plus for street riders or is that just an advantage for racing? Where would one install the RPA at the front? What are the advantages to the average street rider with Length Adjust? Also what tools are needed to put the OEM RPA on the new shock?
Straight rate springs are of course a single, linear spring. Constant rising rate springs are just that, very specially designed wires where the engineers are able to make the springs "do" what they want it to do at very specific points in the curve.

The debate over rising rate vs. straight rate has been going on for years, with rising rate becoming more and more accepted by both tuners and manufacturers as these tuners learn to work with different setups.

And before anybody says "only straight rate springs work"... consider that the Kenny Roberts Team Marlboro ran Hyperpro rising rate springs.

Add in that in 2005, we supplied two of the AMA Pro Racing National Championship podium bikes (running a particular brand of suspension not ours) with our rising rate springs, which obviously worked quite well.

This April, I personally sent off a box of many different rising rate springs to the tuner of one of the Big 4 Factory AMA Pro Superbike teams, what they did or did not use I don't know as we don't ask. But before anybody tells you "everybody runs straight rate", you really need to know more about what is being used out there, and that there are many ways to get a good end result.

That said, I do not intend to get into ANY pissing match with anyone over which is better. Choose as you like, we offer both, both can be tuned quite effectively and get the job done.

But if you are asking our opinion, we prefer the rising rate springs as they are much more capable for what is the "real" world we live and ride in, and with less effort we believe they can offer more effect over a wider range of real world situations.

Regarding triple adjusts in the front, these would give you incredible adjustability over front suspension movement, which is for many "overkill", but you have to remember we deal with A LOT of people who do some very interesting things with their motorcycles. So rather then argue with anyone, we offer products to fit every level of "tinkering" that a buyer may choose to indulge in.

As stated in the opening post, Length Adjust is probably of little value to the average or even good rider, unless they understand and want to alter the steering geometry of the motorcycle. On an LT, we would be amazed to see anyone use this, but again, as I stated in the paragraph above, you have to work here to understand just what kind of requests we get!!!

Lastly, in short the OEM RPA is installed above the spring, so you need a "shock tower" so you can compress the spring, remove the top collar, install the RPA and then re-install the top collar. Almost the exact procedure as for a spring replacement, just not replacing the spring...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #48 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Steve any word on the steering damper cost yet?

And do I need an install kit for it?
The Hyperpro damper kits uses a different "clamp", as our damper tube is different then the stock one so there is this one small piece that is needed. But the RSC "Active" damper is a fantastic unit which since its re-design a few years ago has been an exceptional success.

Our current retail is $340 on the damper + mount kit, and $360 is probably on the way this Winter as we adjust to the wonderful US Dollar / Euro.

We are willing, during this group buy to offer the forum members here:

BMW LT Damper kit at $289.95

Sorry for the delay in getting this information to you, just a lot to be done around here!

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #49 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Quote:
I think maybe I need to clarify something here.

The $799 is the shock.

The DLC is standard, so an upgrade for no additional cost.

OEM RPA, as discussed above, is a choice which does not add any cost to the price of the shock.

Length Adjust (and this is what I think I need to clarify) is an OPTION, one which most of you do not need. So there is no added cost unless you want to order it for your machine.

Hyperpro RPA is simply wanting to use our RPA in stead of BMW's, so yes it adds to the cost but if this is a concern we do offer the OEM RPA option for no extra charge.

So in the end you can buy a fully featured, "top shelf" rear suspension unit with most of the goodies you need for your LT at $799, which we believe is an exceptionally good value...

Steve Larson

1-888-963-1212

Hyperpro Suspension

Micron Exhaust

Zard Exhaust

Laser Exhaust

Motad Exhaust

Puig Windscreens
EvoTech Italy
post #50 of 74 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 4:29 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

The Wait Begins

Man I am just all pumped up

Just got off the phone with Steve and order is placed

Just so you know I went 466 in the rear as I decided I don't really need to play with those other two settings,

I did buy the adjuster from them to preserve my near new rear shock for when needed, and a clean swap.

I also bought the steering damper.

I also had them lessen them a 1/2"

1600 and change.

Now I know it is pricey but it is right in line with Ohlins best price I could find of 1300 and change.

I could find no damper from Ohlins.

So good, bad, or ugly if you don't buy the adjuster or the damper, you are in for way under what Ohlins will cost you.

Now I know I am putting faith into a product that is new to us as BMW riders, but after the way I have been treated by Steve, I have no doubt the support on this product will be second to none.

After reading the information on their pages I see why they offered the first offering. They are shock Geeks They cater to a bunch of world class knee dragers. While I do like toys, I really did not want to have all the adjustably to drive both of me more insane

So I am done, Merry X-Mas to me and all that

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:40 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in