BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

HyperPro Group Buy - Here It Is!

14K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  rlv 
#1 ·
Here is the information I promised on the HyperPro Group Buy. The information in black is my own, and the text below in dark blue was provided Steve Larson ("SteveLarson") with Annitori Distributing/Hyperpro USA.

Several points to keep in mind as you go through the technical information below:

1) You can pay by check or by credit card. If you pay by credit card, please fax or mail the form in, and then call in your credit card information. If paying by check, just mail your check with the form;

2) You will notice the damper is missing from the offer. I pointed this out to Steve and he will work on something for those who want steering dampers, and will post that info shortly;

3) GT riders, rejoice! You also qualify for the group buy;

4) If you want the adjustable rear, and want to use your own adjuster, you can send it in and they will install it for $40 additional. You can also install your own adjuster if you know how (I'll be paying $40!). If you want to send in an adjuster, but don't want your bike out of commission, maybe we can start a pool of adjusters to share and just play it forward. Or, you can likely buy a good used adjusters from a selection of our Premium Vendors. refer to the home page of BMWLT.com for links;

5) This offer positively ends on 15 January 2008. They wanted to end it at the end of December, but I convinced them that some folks might prefer/need to wait until after the holidays. Please, no whining on 16 January! Get your order in on time;

6) Those of you in the area, their facility is a big warehouse, nothing to look at, and no hospitality area. Telephone calls are encouraged to confirm details, ask questions about the product and the program, but please don't call HyperPro to talk about the riding weather up in their area. They are great folks, so let's be on our best behaviour. Yes, even me. ;)

7) Shipping is included for CONUS orders. Non-CONUS orders are welcome, but please call for pricing on shipping to non-CONUS destinations.

OK, enough of that. Following is the information from HyperPro, and the order forms are attached in PDF and XLS format so pick your format and get going!

We are pleased to say we are able to offer 2 shock choices for the LT machine. The 3D emulsion (preload adjustable only, no added options available) version and the 3D "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version which boasts just about everything anybody would ever need in shock features and adjustability, including both 30 high speed compression and 30 low speed compression adjustability as well as 50 preload.

As an added upgrade for BMW owners, we are offering the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension as well, giving true performance addicts the same extensive features for the front shock as we offer for the rear shock. This will give serious suspension adjustability and control to the front, a huge "one up" on our competition for riders who demand "complete" adjustability front and rear.

Other features to note:

Length Adjust: We can offer the added benefit of length adjust to the remote reservoir versions, this is where the rider can adjust the height of the shock by 10mm or so, normally used for very specific setups where you are changing the “stance” of the motorcycle for handling purposes.

Overall Shock Length: This is not "length adjust", that is the feature noted above. Overall shock length is for people who wish to raise or lower the bike "permanently", or for customers with dragracing bikes, extended or modified swingarms, etc. Our guess is that most LT riders want stock replacement shocks, except those who wish to change the height of the bike in a permanent way. This option is the last line on the order form attached.

Another, and this is a biggie: We can offer something nobody else has, our remote reservoir version will have the ability for customers to use the OEM BMW remote preload assembly (RPA) on the Hyperpro 3D shock.

Let us explain:

OEM Remote Preload Adjuster: For the LT we have been able to design our shock to accept the OEM remote preload adjuster (RPA), which saves each buyer the added cost of adding the "aftermarket" RPA to the aftermarket shock. As these RPA's added on to an aftermarket shock are not cheap (ours sells for $279.95), this is a huge cost savings for a very useful feature. Our design will allow everybody to save a TON of money compared to any other comparable shock out there. The only reminder is that the customer has to remove the RPA from the stock shock and install it on our shock (about the same effort as a spring swap), and our shock HAS to be purchased with this option as "YES" to Original RPA so we design it correctly to accept the BMW RPA.

Or to say it another way, our standard Hyperpro design can accept our Hyperpro RPA, but not the BMW RPA, and the reverse is true as well; the Hyperpro RPA will not fit on a BMW RPA 3D design. The shocks are identical in terms of features and performance, just how we design to accept the RPA is the only difference.

There will be no added cost for having the shock designed with the BMW RPA option.

This is a huge benefit to LT riders, just need to be sure everybody understands BEFORE they place their order on which version of the shock they wish to have.

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) Coating Standard: Hyperpro 3D shocks ALL come with DLC coated shafts. No other shock we know of uses this finish, a large step above Gold Nitrit and a million miles above standard chrome moly. DLC coatings exhibit high hardness, a low coefficient of friction, chemical resistance and wetability, and is the HIGHEST standard of finish on commercially available shocks. We do not know of any competitor offering this finish as STANDARD on their shocks, and most competitors add over $100 for the lesser gold nitrit.

16mm Shaft Design Standard: Our competitors use 14mm shafts at best, and do not to our knowledge offer anything larger. Larger shafts are stronger, but more importantly allow more fluid movement, which gives the Hyperpro 3D much better control over the damping circuits. This is a very important part of a shock design, and raises the Hyperpro 3D quality and function even higher, and beyond the reach of many competitors.

Spring Rate Choices: We will offer both straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices, simply note on the order form which you desire. We of course recommend and feel the rising rate springs are MUCH better choices, but we also understand that everyone has an opinion on this and rather then argue, just tell us what you want and you can have it.

Only stipulation is that Hyperpro rising rate springs are in the purple color, straight rate springs are black. Sorry, but we have to "show off" our products to everybody somehow, and the spring is what everybody sees first so it is our "brand" image.

There are many other reasons to purchase the Hyperpro 3D, but these are the major points. I will be happy to research and/or discuss any other questions anyone has about our shocks as needed.

On to pricing:

There is NOTHING pretty about exchange rates right now, but Retail Prices are:

Emulsion: $549.95

Triple Adjust w/ Reservoir: $949.95
+ DLC shaft coating - Standard
+ OEM RPA use: No Charge
+ Length Adjust add- $99.95
+ Hyperpro Remote Preload Adjuster add - $279.95

GROUP BUY PRICES:

Emulsion version - $499.95

"Triple Adjust w/ Reservoir - $799.95
+ Length Adjust add $99.95
+ Hyperpro Remote Preload Adjuster add $279.95

Sorry, there is no margin for us in the "upgrades", so have to do what we can with the shock price.

We expect most people to want the Triple Adjust, so we have priced this VERY aggressively, to see if we can both "hook" your BMW friends into Hyperpro, as well as making the GB worth doing for as many of your members as possible.

I know this is a bit long, I hope you understand most of it and please call me so we can discuss any questions you might have.

Steve Larson

Customer Support – Annitori Distributing
www.Annitori.com
info@Annitori.com
1-888-963-1212
www.HyperproUSA.com

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Thanks Steve for being so patient. :thumb:

Simple posts seem to get the best and most concise answers so..

Questions..

1. Are Hyperpro Shocks factory rebuildable?
  2. What is the recommended rebuild cycle. (20k, 40k, 100k)
  3. If there is not a recommended cycle what are the obvious signs other than a leak that I would look for?
  4. What the cost of a factory rebuild on a 460?
  5. What is the cost of a factory rebuild on a 461?
I have more but I don't want to get carried away.

#29 ·
Thanks, Steve, for the ongoing education. From our conversations, you already know I know little about how all this ties together, but I feel that I have a place to start. I really appreciate all of the time you put into working with me to develop this deal, and I am somewhat amazed by the incredible input you have added via this thread.

Darn, I'll have to spend a lot of time riding the bike to get this dialed in the way I like it. Well, heck, I suppose I'll just do it and take one for the team.

I want the steering damper as well, and you may recall seeing a bunch of interest in the prior thread. Thanks for doing the research and working that in. Call me or email me when you have something and we will get it moving.

Best,
Anthony

#30 ·
I was hoping to take one for the team also, and get mine ordered tomorrow.

I figured Steve would have the Dampener pricing figured out pretty quickly :)

#31 ·
I will respond to the questions in the morning, time for relaxation around here!!!

I am waiting for my sales people on the steering damper kit pricing, should have that in the morning.

As for "taking one for the team". Yeah, nothing worse then having to tell the wife you cannot go curtain shopping because you have a very important scientific project to complete. All the while you are out riding your motorcycle and sitting in your easy chair drinking beer!!! :)

Oh, the horror... the horror...

Steve Larson

#32 ·
End of Bell Curve

Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I tooo am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn.
Thank you for the education on shocks and all your time.
Brian Fairbank

#33 ·
Wow!

I think this is one of the most interesting and valuable threads we've had on the forum. I think these are awesome shocks at a good price. I'll be jumping on this once I've digested all the information :confused:

Steve: thanks so much for your patience and assistance in this...you're doing a helluva good job and it's appreciated! :thumb:

#34 ·
OK, after all the discussion here and in emails, we have come to realize that our product offerings might not have been the best on our first try. So I have spent the morning on the phone with R&D, and here is what I think we have worked out given all of your input.

This might get a bit confusing, but we are trying to respond to the "wants" of the riders (you) as compared to what we "geeks" sometimes "think" people want to buy. But that is why customer support, marketing and R&D all have to work together!!!

The Emulsion shock in the rear is not going to be offered as it does not offer the ability for us to meet the needs of you, the riders.

We have decided to drop the 460 and instead offer the Type 466 "de Carbon" shock, which looks exactly the same as the 460 Emulsion version, but internally is VERY different.

The Type 466 uses separate gas and oil (opposite of an emulsion), just like a remote reservoir version uses. The nitrogen and the oil do not mix or interact at all, making for better action which the rear shock needs, and eliminates any concerns we have about the overall performance of the shock in a rear application. Of course the Type 466 has fully adjustable rebound...

The reason for my wanting to change our offerings is that the Type 466 DOES give us is the ability to offer a very high quality and high performance shock in a much less expensive version then the Type 461 . Only things missing are the remote high and low speed compression adjustability (which most of you do not seem to want to deal with and that is quite OK!!!!), and the remote reservoir which your stock shock does not have either.

So in the end, you we can now offer you a true high performance shock, without all the "bells and whistles", for much less money then the Type 461.

So what is the change in price?

The Type 466 we can Group Buy here for $539.95, which is $40 more then the Emulsion version offered at the start of this thread.

We have only one condition for the moment, we need to get the LT back into R&D to confirm that the RPA options (which we are 95% sure are OK) do work also on the Type 466. We are told R&D will have the bike in at the end of the week so we can sort this for good.

Please keep in mind the Type 461 is still available for the rear, so those of you wanting access to all the adjustability can still get it. And the front offerings are still the same, the Emulsion and the "Triple", so nothing has changed there.

We are simply trying to adjust our product offerings, features and price points to what you the customers want and need, which we think is what we have done here.

Or, I have just made the entire world more confusing, and if that is the case, then I am very sorry! :)

Steve Larson

#35 · (Edited)
Given my post above, I thought I would now clear up some general questions.

Q - "What is the best combination?" seems to be a big part of our emails.

A - Everybody has different wants, needs and price levels. So here is "my" best help:

From a "I need new shocks" or "I am not part of the standard bell curve" standpoint, the Emulsion front and the de Carbon 466 rear with (we hope and will know for sure in a week or so) the OEM RPA. In the Group Buy this will run you $499 + $539, so you have a pair of immensely better shocks designed to you and your riding as compared to stock, for very little expense. This will give you a pair of shocks which are miles above stock in terms of design, performance, ride, setup (we will make them to your criteria) and rebuildability, all at a great price.

From a seriously good "I want to play a little but not learn Calculus" standpoint, the Emulsion front and 461 rear.

For the very serious rider who demands complete suspension control and adjustability, then the "triples" front and rear are the way to go.

Q - Rebuilability?

Yes, fully. We recommend service every 2 years or 40,000 km, of course all depending on how you use the shock. Three months on gravel roads is very different then 1 year on I-80... :)

Parts are a couple of seals, o-rings, oil, gas and labor, we charge $149.95 including parts. Costs from others may vary on who is doing the work, but $125 to $195 including parts is a common range we see.

Q - Warranty?

Yes, 5 years on workmanship, craftsmanship and materials. No, crashing does not count... :)

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Steve Larson

#36 ·
brianf70 said:
Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I tooo am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn.
Thank you for the education on shocks and all your time.
Brian Fairbank
OK, this one is a bit more involved...

Yes, we can make longer shocks, but there are negative consequences for doing it this way.

The bike will be taller, so you will need longer legs and all that goes with that. There will be issues with the sidestand and centerstand, the centerstand becoming a larger issue the higher you go. Most critically, the handling and braking of the bike will be altered, and this makes everyone involved very nervous, and leads us to not recommend this direction. It is just not the way to go...

The shock design and spring choice is the correct way to go, and when you fill out the criteria sheet to purchase our shock you are going to tell us what we need to know to make sure the shock is designed with your factors in mind.

Please keep in mind that NO shock can be both a GSXR racetrack and I-80 Superslab design. There has to be compromise somewhere, and that is why we like to speak with our customers as we design the shocks for them. You need to understand and know "what" part of the ride you want to focus on most, so we can "center" the shock design there, but still have some "left and right range" to the shock so it meets your lesser needs as well.

For those of you on the "edges" of the bell curve, the solution is not that difficult for us. We just move the bell curve over to meet your needs, and that is something most of you have never experienced with stock machines.

My guess is you are really, really, REALLY going to like it!

Steve Larson

#37 ·
Steve, Thanks again for posting more details. Good thing we have 6 weeks. I'm leaning toward the 461 model even though I probably won't use 75% of it capabilities. I don't want to regret not going the extra. I'm undecided about what to do with the front.

When I look at your RPA it looks like it is a cable type assembly that operates a worm gear to move the adjuster. The BMW RPA uses oil to do the same thing. Is this a correct assumption?

#38 ·
Steve, I would like to know if you "spring" the shocks based on rider and possibly passenger + gear total weight and riding style, like Ohlin does?

TIA.

#39 ·
jackd said:
Steve, Thanks again for posting more details. Good thing we have 6 weeks. I'm leaning toward the 461 model even though I probably won't use 75% of it capabilities. I don't want to regret not going the extra. I'm undecided about what to do with the front.

When I look at your RPA it looks like it is a cable type assembly that operates a worm gear to move the adjuster. The BMW RPA uses oil to do the same thing. Is this a correct assumption?
No, ours is hydraulic, uses oil just like the BMW unit...

Steve Larson

#40 ·
zippy_gg said:
Steve, I would like to know if you "spring" the shocks based on rider and possibly passenger + gear total weight and riding style, like Ohlin does?

TIA.
Yes, that is what the criteria sheet (attachment in the first post) is used for. We want to know LOTS of things so we get the shock designed correctly for you.

Steve Larson

#41 ·
Steve,

So the price for the triple adjust with Hyper pro remote preload adjuster front and rear shocks is $799.95+$279.95X2= $ 2158.8

Rather pricy indeed !

#43 ·
brianf70 said:
Steve;
I am waiting on the answer for Howard Schisler. I too am at the end of the bell curve, in fact I look like a bell curve. What do you suggest for a large rider. Don't ride all that aggressive most of the time ride two up some time live in East Tenn...
I'm so glad to be a useful example for someone, although I'm not sure it's a compliment in this case. :eek:

Gosh guys, I don't think I'm a Refrigerator Perry or anything, but yeah, let's face it: I'm overweight. Doc says lose 50#. I've met a number of people on this site and elsewhere on bikes and more of them are in my "shape" (hey, round IS a shape!) than are height-weight appropriate. Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd...

But then, maybe you were referring to my general size (XL) AND riding style (conservative). I'm hoping that's the case. :)

#44 · (Edited)
First off, could you explain more about the straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices? Then could you explain how getting the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension would be a plus for street riders or is that just an advantage for racing? Where would one install the RPA at the front? What are the advantages to the average street rider with Length Adjust? Also what tools are needed to put the OEM RPA on the new shock?

#45 ·
Steve any word on the steering damper cost yet?

And do I need an install kit for it?

#46 ·
Pete, you double charged yourself. If you use the OEM RPA you don't need the Hyperpro RPA, so your cost per shock will be $799 + $99 Length adjust if you feel it necessary to have.

Personally I don't think I would get the triple for the front, so my cost would go down, but even with the group buy the deal is still pricey.

murray said:
Steve,

So the price for the triple adjust with Hyper pro remote preload adjuster front and rear shocks is $799.95+$279.95X2= $ 2158.8

Rather pricy indeed !

#47 ·
tonyn1 said:
First off, could you explain more about the straight rate and Hyperpro rising rates spring choices? Then could you explain how getting the "triple adjust w/ reservoir" version for the front suspension would be a plus for street riders or is that just an advantage for racing? Where would one install the RPA at the front? What are the advantages to the average street rider with Length Adjust? Also what tools are needed to put the OEM RPA on the new shock?
Straight rate springs are of course a single, linear spring. Constant rising rate springs are just that, very specially designed wires where the engineers are able to make the springs "do" what they want it to do at very specific points in the curve.

The debate over rising rate vs. straight rate has been going on for years, with rising rate becoming more and more accepted by both tuners and manufacturers as these tuners learn to work with different setups.

And before anybody says "only straight rate springs work"... consider that the Kenny Roberts Team Marlboro ran Hyperpro rising rate springs.

Add in that in 2005, we supplied two of the AMA Pro Racing National Championship podium bikes (running a particular brand of suspension not ours) with our rising rate springs, which obviously worked quite well.

This April, I personally sent off a box of many different rising rate springs to the tuner of one of the Big 4 Factory AMA Pro Superbike teams, what they did or did not use I don't know as we don't ask. But before anybody tells you "everybody runs straight rate", you really need to know more about what is being used out there, and that there are many ways to get a good end result.

That said, I do not intend to get into ANY pissing match with anyone over which is better. Choose as you like, we offer both, both can be tuned quite effectively and get the job done.

But if you are asking our opinion, we prefer the rising rate springs as they are much more capable for what is the "real" world we live and ride in, and with less effort we believe they can offer more effect over a wider range of real world situations.

Regarding triple adjusts in the front, these would give you incredible adjustability over front suspension movement, which is for many "overkill", but you have to remember we deal with A LOT of people who do some very interesting things with their motorcycles. So rather then argue with anyone, we offer products to fit every level of "tinkering" that a buyer may choose to indulge in. :)

As stated in the opening post, Length Adjust is probably of little value to the average or even good rider, unless they understand and want to alter the steering geometry of the motorcycle. On an LT, we would be amazed to see anyone use this, but again, as I stated in the paragraph above, you have to work here to understand just what kind of requests we get!!!

Lastly, in short the OEM RPA is installed above the spring, so you need a "shock tower" so you can compress the spring, remove the top collar, install the RPA and then re-install the top collar. Almost the exact procedure as for a spring replacement, just not replacing the spring...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve Larson

#48 ·
LAF said:
Steve any word on the steering damper cost yet?

And do I need an install kit for it?
The Hyperpro damper kits uses a different "clamp", as our damper tube is different then the stock one so there is this one small piece that is needed. But the RSC "Active" damper is a fantastic unit which since its re-design a few years ago has been an exceptional success.

Our current retail is $340 on the damper + mount kit, and $360 is probably on the way this Winter as we adjust to the wonderful US Dollar / Euro.

We are willing, during this group buy to offer the forum members here:

BMW LT Damper kit at $289.95

Sorry for the delay in getting this information to you, just a lot to be done around here!

Steve Larson

#49 ·
I think maybe I need to clarify something here.

The $799 is the shock.

The DLC is standard, so an upgrade for no additional cost.

OEM RPA, as discussed above, is a choice which does not add any cost to the price of the shock.

Length Adjust (and this is what I think I need to clarify) is an OPTION, one which most of you do not need. So there is no added cost unless you want to order it for your machine.

Hyperpro RPA is simply wanting to use our RPA in stead of BMW's, so yes it adds to the cost but if this is a concern we do offer the OEM RPA option for no extra charge.

So in the end you can buy a fully featured, "top shelf" rear suspension unit with most of the goodies you need for your LT at $799, which we believe is an exceptionally good value...

Steve Larson

#50 · (Edited)
The Wait Begins

Man I am just all pumped up :dance:

Just got off the phone with Steve and order is placed :D

Just so you know I went 466 in the rear as I decided I don't really need to play with those other two settings,

I did buy the adjuster from them to preserve my near new rear shock for when needed, and a clean swap.

I also bought the steering damper.

I also had them lessen them a 1/2"

1600 and change.

Now I know it is pricey but it is right in line with Ohlins best price I could find of 1300 and change.

I could find no damper from Ohlins.

So good, bad, or ugly if you don't buy the adjuster or the damper, you are in for way under what Ohlins will cost you.

Now I know I am putting faith into a product that is new to us as BMW riders, but after the way I have been treated by Steve, I have no doubt the support on this product will be second to none.

After reading the information on their pages I see why they offered the first offering. They are shock Geeks :rotf: They cater to a bunch of world class knee dragers. While I do like toys, I really did not want to have all the adjustably to drive both of me more insane :confused:

So I am done, Merry X-Mas to me and all that :p

#51 ·
OK I changed my mind, I went to the Triple. Just cant see pinching pennies when I am in for pounds.

So that is that..............

LAF said:
Man I am just all pumped up :dance:

Just got off the phone with Steve and order is placed :D

Just so you know I went 466 in the rear as I decided I don't really need to play with those other two settings,

I did buy the adjuster from them to preserve my near new rear shock for when needed, and a clean swap.

I also bought the steering damper.

I also had them lessen them a 1/2"

1600 and change.

Now I know it is pricey but it is right in line with Ohlins best price I could find of 1300 and change.

I could find no damper from Ohlins.

So good, bad, or ugly if you don't buy the adjuster or the damper, you are in for way under what Ohlins will cost you.

Now I know I am putting faith into a product that is new to us as BMW riders, but after the way I have been treated by Steve, I have no doubt the support on this product will be second to none.

After reading the information on their pages I see why they offered the first offering. They are shock Geeks :rotf: They cater to a bunch of world class knee dragers. While I do like toys, I really did not want to have all the adjustably to drive both of me more insane :confused:

So I am done, Merry X-Mas to me and all that :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.