Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Hi Guys,

In the Spring, I will be going on a fairly long trip, for me, anyway. I wanted to go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I know this is a stupid question, but they do allow motorcycle travel over the Chesapeake bay Bridge Tunnel, don't they ? I just assumed they did, but then I got to thinking that, maybe they don't. Any of you ride a bike over it ?

Thanks, Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:04 am

Hi Roy,
Yes, they do allow MC travel over it. The cost is like 15 bucks or something for all travelers, not only the two wheeled kind - so be prepared to pay. It is beautiful or so I am told by some of my fellow Virginia riders who have been across it. Look me up when you get down here. The tunnel is something that is on my list of places to ride, just haven't made it there yet. I live in Richmond - so I don't really have a good excuse not to have made the trip.

'01 R1100R - Tres
'04 Volusia - Ham Eater
'89 Hawk GT - Track Dog
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:36 am

Be constantly on guard for strong gusty cross winds.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:21 am

Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
Be constantly on guard for strong gusty cross winds.
I rode over the Bay Bridge Tunnel this past summer. It was a nice day (HOT) with no breeze at all. However, I have crossed this bridge/tunnel via cage several times when I was stationed in Virginia Beach, and wind gusts can come out of nowhere.

Also, if it's a bright sunny day, be careful when you first enter the tunnels. If for some reason they don't have the correct lighting configuration, your 'night vision' may take a few seconds to kick in.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I went through it back in the 70's. The tunnels were full of exhaust smell and I had the feeling I was in one big roller coaster loop. Of course I was tired having driven all day from Rhode Island.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 12:51 pm

I've been over the Bay Bridge Tunnel numerous times. It's a cash only toll. No EZ Pass. It is much nicer the last few years since they opened up the second bridge. You no longer have two way traffic. Each direction has it's own bridge. You do come together for the tunnels though. On the south side of the South tunnel there is a pull off area with concessions, restrooms and a fishing pier, accessible from either direction.

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by va899
I've been over the Bay Bridge Tunnel numerous times. It's a cash only toll. No EZ Pass. It is much nicer the last few years since they opened up the second bridge. You no longer have two way traffic. Each direction has it's own bridge. You do come together for the tunnels though. On the south side of the South tunnel there is a pull off area with concessions, restrooms and a fishing pier, accessible from either direction.
EZPass is being implemented on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel route this November. Should be in force by December. Two-axle toll is $12.00. If you want to do a round trip, save your receipt and the return trip is only $5.00.

CBBT Site

EZPass Coming!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Hi Guys,

In the Spring, I will be going on a fairly long trip, for me, anyway. I wanted to go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I know this is a stupid question, but they do allow motorcycle travel over the Chesapeake bay Bridge Tunnel, don't they ? I just assumed they did, but then I got to thinking that, maybe they don't. Any of you ride a bike over it ?

Thanks, Roy
I live nearby and have relatives and property across the CBBT so I travel it reasonably frequently.

Don't let any comments here lead you to have any concern. It is just a bridge, albeit a long one. Winds are no problem except in stormy weather, Nor'easters, etc... In high wind conditions there are plenty of warnings and they restrict truck and trailer traffic. As in all circumstances, you make the choice.

For a southbound trip, Rt 13 and the CBBT is far more pleasant than the I-95 alternative through the Philly, Baltimore, Washington, Richmond corridor.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Rode the CBB a few years ago on my way to Myrtle Beach. Crossed the bridge at sunset, it is definitely worth the toll...

Tom McNulty
..sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes, the bear eats you....

2003 Silver K1200LT---Sold
AKA "Miss Piggy"
2006 Graphit Gray R1200RT
AKA "Piglet"
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Just came through from VA. Beach. E-Z Pass is now in effect. Nice Mtcy Ride
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 8:18 am

Bridge Info

Recently I planned a trip across the bridge on the LT. Last minutes circumstances changed my plans. However, I did get the contact information for weather conditions on the bridge, as follows:

"For accurate real time weather and road conditions, please contact the
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
at (757) 331-2960."

www.cbbt.com/weather.html

I put both the phone and website information into my cell. If I had taken the bridge, I planned to call before I committed myself to driving down from Maryland through Virginia to enter the bridge from the North. They do stop certain vehicle traffic (including motorcycles-see their website for wind speed milestones) above set wind conditions.

Hope this helps.

OscarF

Oscar F
2006 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in