BMWMOA Rally 08 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

BMWMOA Rally 08

http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rally08/

Anyone thinking of going to this? I really would not mind doing it, I just don't want to run it alone. 1700 from here in Pennsatucky where I am, to there. Safety in numbers, and not riding distance alone, and all that.

I cant do the CCR because our Schools start at that time, but these dates I could make.

Any interest?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Anyone thinking of going to this? I really would not mind doing it, I just don't want to run it alone. 1700 from here in Pennsatucky where I am, to there. Safety in numbers, and not riding distance alone, and all that.

I cant do the CCR because our Schools start at that time, but these dates I could make.

Any interest?
I am thinking of riding there. But, I will be riding from Arizona.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Any interest?
Maybe if the MOA hasnt black listed me. When I got back from the rally in West Bend I started a thread on their site "this is going to be unpopular" in which I had the audacity to complain. Needless to say I got flamed pretty well for that post.

My dilema is I know that area and it is some awsome riding. Im leanign towards going and the Chicago area is on ur way. In fact I live right off of I90 northwest of chicago. Hmmmmm....

Tom

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Going for sure

I/we are going from Michigan, called up and got a room 40 miles south of the site reserved for $90. Everything local is $200 already.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 12:23 am

Well, I'll likely visit there - but, dammit, I'm alraedy 'here'. Gillette is only about 3 hours from here.

Sorry - unless you've got a really good reason for me, not likely to run out to "St. Louis" and back.

Mmm, though - it is a ride......

ahpd1992 - not having seen your posts to BMWOA, but if you know the area I can guess what you said. And I agree: WTF where they thinking??? Gillette? You gotta be kidding me!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 5:40 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Well, I'll likely visit there - but, dammit, I'm alraedy 'here'. Gillette is only about 3 hours from here.

Sorry - unless you've got a really good reason for me, not likely to run out to "St. Louis" and back.

Mmm, though - it is a ride......

ahpd1992 - not having seen your posts to BMWOA, but if you know the area I can guess what you said. And I agree: WTF where they thinking??? Gillette? You gotta be kidding me!
UT-OH the more I read, the more it seems this may nor be the place to go distance for.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 7:22 am

I may be heading out depends on what all is going on at that time. I don't know how long I will stay there. I'm not too much into rallies. There is so many more better places to go.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:40 am

Lee - don't get me wrong here. The ride'n out that away is nothing short of spectacular. The Needles Highway alone is worth the run out.

Just that Gillette itself is not only a small town in Wyoming (the only kind we gots out here), it's an "oil boom" town. The "CamPlex" where the rally will be held at is nice enough and will serve well. Get your reservations in early - hotels will fill up FAST.

It may be more of a matter of us local types having to re-edumakate ourselves. When we think of attractions for "out of stateers", Gillette really isn't even on the list. But it is near the SD area, Black Hills, Custer, Devil's tower, etc. So eh - maybe. Could be we're just that spoiled with Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the like.

Just one of those Haarruuuhhhhh??? moments.

Tate

post #9 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF

Any interest?
The ride will be spectacular. The destination sucks. I went through there last summer on my way to Yellowstone & elsewhere. Gillette is the dirtiest, hottest place I have had the displeasure of visiting in recent memory. The rally site will offer no shade, extreme temps (too hot for comfortable camping), and astoundingly expensive hotels (last summer, with no rally in town, the best deal I could get was $116 at a fleabag Super 8 .... I rode on to Buffalo, WY for a pleasant and reasonably priced nights stay).

There is beautiful country within an hour of two of the site that is well worth riding to. I'm skipping the rally this year and taking my time to concentrate on more riding and less sitting.

On the other hand. Lima, OH was hot, hot, hot and there is not much of riding interest there but it was a GREAT rally highlighted with outstanding musical entertainment, vendors and a top notch beer garden! In other words, the rally will be what you make of it.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
Maybe if the MOA hasnt black listed me. When I got back from the rally in West Bend I started a thread on their site "this is going to be unpopular" in which I had the audacity to complain. Needless to say I got flamed pretty well for that post.
I remember that post. You deserved it.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 8:48 pm

reservations are made. Not sure at this time as to when we will be leaving.

Must first come through recovery, I am having both knees replaced in January. I hope to be back on the bike in Early April.
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Oh man - Gilette I think I ate there last summer and it was the worst mistake of a ten day ride... I might head up to the Black Hills and then stop by the rally. Needles and 14a are some of my favorite rides and I have to hit them every summer.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 9:34 pm

gillette is getting some bad vibes from all angles. it can't be worse than lima oh. and... i had an absolute blast at the lima rally. the best part of a rally in wyoming for me will be once i get there (1,500 miles).... park the steed and enjoy the music, vendors, and oh yeah the beer tent.

hell, they could have the rally in Yankee Stadium and i'd still think about going.

chris k
N Kentucky
2002 LTE "Matilda"
1985 Goldwing
1986 Suzuki GS650
2002 Jeep Wrangler
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:31 pm

If past reports are anything at all to go by, the Rally should be a hoot 'n a half.

It's just Gillette that's got the vibes. Remember, you're not going there to see Gillette - go to the Rally.

I'll plan on take'n some days afor and after off - maybe we can have at least a tech session - way station - pit stop - Penguin Farm tour or something for the bmwlt.com folks.

Tate

post #15 of 17 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 8:45 am

I know where Gillette is and believe me the best thing about it is its location near some really great riding. Like hub on the wheel- follow the spokes.

Gillette itself is not the attraction.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Re: BMWMOA Rally 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
The ride will be spectacular. The destination sucks. I went through there last summer on my way to Yellowstone & elsewhere. Gillette is the dirtiest, hottest place I have had the displeasure of visiting in recent memory. The rally site will offer no shade, extreme temps (too hot for comfortable camping), and astoundingly expensive hotels (last summer, with no rally in town, the best deal I could get was $116 at a fleabag Super 8 .... I rode on to Buffalo, WY for a pleasant and reasonably priced nights stay).

There is beautiful country within an hour of two of the site that is well worth riding to. I'm skipping the rally this year and taking my time to concentrate on more riding and less sitting.

On the other hand. Lima, OH was hot, hot, hot and there is not much of riding interest there but it was a GREAT rally highlighted with outstanding musical entertainment, vendors and a top notch beer garden! In other words, the rally will be what you make of it.
Hi Bob,
I just noticed your post (above). I agree that Gillette isn't the garden spot of the hemisphere! I have the impression that the powers that be in the MOA place more emphasis on how many tents can be accomodated than anything else when looking for a rally site. Camping is fine for those who enjoy it but I for one got it out of my system during my teen years; and would like to see hotel/indoor accomodations given at least some priority by the site selection committee. I am impressed that the RA made arrangements with a nearby college for dorm accomodations at reasonable prices. I made reservations in January and the closest decent accomodations I could find were in Buffalo. Even at that the price was well over $100 per.
post #17 of 17 Old May 3rd, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: BMWMOA Rally 08

I am heading to the Rally on July 16th from Iowa City Ia. Would like to meet up with some other riders going that way. Let me know if your interested.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in