autocom replacement speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

autocom replacement speakers

For those that are interested. I bought some headphones at radio shack. They were KOSS, PR0 35 Titanium. ($39.95, they were on sale for 29.95 :-(

Speakers clip right out of thehead band.
Backs pop right off the speakers.
Un-soldered wires off of the speakers.
Clipped the wires on my autocom right at the speakers.
Soldered them unto the new KOSS apeakers (with matching polarity)
Clipped the plactic back back on the speakers.
Applied velcro to the backs of the speakers and installed.

WOW!

MAJOR improvement

ld
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:54 am

It is a good upgrade and has been mentioned on the site before. I've had those speakers in my helmets for almost 3 years after reading about in on the old bmwlt.net site.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Autocom junk

You would think that by now, Autocom would get with the program and make some really good speakers. I've been using radioshack replacements for a while then switched to some top of the line J and M. There only marginally better.

How cool would it be for somebody like "Bose" to make a set of speakers specifically for helmets that would work with the systems we have.

I need BASS damn it and now!

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
You would think that by now, Autocom would get with the program and make some really good speakers. I've been using radioshack replacements for a while then switched to some top of the line J and M. There only marginally better.

How cool would it be for somebody like "Bose" to make a set of speakers specifically for helmets that would work with the systems we have.

I need BASS damn it and now!
Here 'ya go: all it takes is a little nerve to hack them apart, and at $349.00 for the set I have not got it! (but they are absolutely awesome and I'm glad I bought 'em)

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

Go for it!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 4:29 pm
mos

Larry could you tell us some more about the improvements ? Louder ? more Bass ? Smaller ? Larger ?
Thanks
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Improvements

Better all around. Better highs/lows, although not ear thumbing base!
I can clearly hear the words to songs!

With the Autocom, I wonder what was going on because it always sounded like the music was louder than the vocals?

I can actually turn the volume up higher than I want and it doesn't distort

It's all in the speakers! These speakers are just like wearing them as headphones off of a midrange stereo set

If you don't have soldering skills, I'd be happy to do a set for you.

They were on sale for 29.95, but they've gone back to 39.95. If they ever go on sale again, I'm gonna buy a bunch!

I did look at some previous posts, but the RS # they gave was not valid at the store.

Thes Koss PRO35s are very easy to convert

larry
larry
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

size wise

They are about the same. With the back case on them, they are like the autocoms with the additional backing. I suppose you could leave the back off on the new ones and just put velcro on the back of the speaker and then it would be about the same depth as the autocoms
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Stoker, thanks for posting about this...you gave me the courage to go ahead and try it. I posted a pictorial version of my installation in the Gear section HERE.

Maybe it will help others who, like me, are special needs riders.
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 11:08 pm

I bought some of the Koss speakers and have everything torn down on my counter. I'm kinda weak with the electrical stuff. What color wires on the Koss match the autocom polarity wise? The Autocom wires are black and white the Koss are red and copper. Thanks

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedexrider
I bought some of the Koss speakers and have everything torn down on my counter. I'm kinda weak with the electrical stuff. What color wires on the Koss match the autocom polarity wise? The Autocom wires are black and white the Koss are red and copper. Thanks
Don't worry about the polarity. Just wire both speakers the same way and it will be fine.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 30th, 2007, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

I tend to go red with white

And black with copper. But John is right as long as you do them both the same it doesn't matter. One way the speaker pulls in or pushes out, so if they were not done the same way one would be pushing the speaker while the other would be pulling the speaker and could tend to cancel each other out to some degree.

Just FYI, the main point is to wire both the same way.

larry
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 9:47 am

Great Improvement

I did the Radio Shack Titanium replacement several years ago and was not disappointed. A tremendous improvement in the sound, and I generally wear ear plugs too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 4:50 pm

Update to my speaker mod and other odds and ends:
Dropped one of the Koss speakers on the floor and evidently damaged it. Already had the other one soldered on so just left the Autocom speaker on the other side. Still made an improvement in the sound but will definitely have to replace the other speaker at a later date. Now for the test ride. Wanted to check out the speakers and get the oils hot as they were due for a change. Ran into a new and unique hazard. As I was turning into a side street I ran over a house for sale sign that had blown into the road and had the rear end slide out but was fortunate it caught enough to stay upright. Just one more hazard as if there weren't enough Got home and changed oils. I've been running Redline in the rear drive, mag plug was clean as I have seen it. Had about 4500 miles since last change. Stuck with Redline in the drive and switched to Mobil 1 for the engine. What a ramblin post

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Check with RS

See if you can order a replacement speaker.
You may find a way to get the speakers only!
Just an idea
larry
post #15 of 15 Old May 16th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Re: autocom replacement speakers

i needed exactly the information you gave on speakers for autocom. im going to san antonio next week and its going to be a much better trip. thank you d hannah buford ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in