Loves Those Squids!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Loves Those Squids!!

Monday morning on my way to work I get into some fog and traffic slows, so I start splitting on the double yellow. I see a squid come up behind me, and I did notice that he came on fairly quickly, but I didn't think anything of that because most riders that commute are very good riders, wether it's HD, Squid, or Sport Tourer/Tourer. However, ALL of "The Stupids" are squids, so I guess I should have been more careful.

Anyway, I see him, so I look for a spot to slide in and let him by. I see a spot that looks good, but as soon as I start to move into it I realize that it's too small, and the car is slowing down too much, so I move back-out to choose another gap, and you guessed it! The Squid was RIGHT NEXT TO ME sharing a 3 ft wide lane with me. We didn't touch, and as he sped away he was shaking his head like I was a moron.

An entire two seconds elapsed from when I ducked-in to when I returned. The only possible way he could have been on me so fast was to just crack his throttle as soon as he saw first movement from me. I've seen guys going 30-40 mph faster than traffic when splitting, and thought they were really stupid, I now fully realize just how stupid.

Last week on Friday I heard on the radio that two motorcycles went down during the morning commute and yelled in my helmet, "What are you guys doing? We have to watch out for each other.....nobody else will." And I learned one day latter just what they were doing.

30 Years of riding experience has taught me, and continues to teach me that you cannot look out for yourself too much, and you have to be as critical of yourself as you are of others. I made a huge mistake assuming that all MC commuters were good riders, and that he would provide me ample room to find a safe spot to let him by. What "A Stupid" I was

The good news I learned a great lesson without scratch, and for now I get to keep my perfect record of never dropping a street bike. I hope you can learn from my experience as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:02 am

OK...it's been awhile since I've started a small riot, so here goes nuttin'.

Sounds to me like your own account of the events incriminates only YOU. If I was behind you and you "ducked-in" behind a car (yes, even for an instant), I would've blown by you too. The only mistake the "squid" made was he didn't do it fast enough.

Next time, perhaps you should check to see if you have enough room before changing lanes and then coming back over.

Ride. Learn. Ride. Learn.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:14 am

Good to see you back on the board Joe....

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

Sounds to me like your own account of the events incriminates only YOU. If I was behind you and you "ducked-in" behind a car (yes, even for an instant), I would've blown by you too. The only mistake the "squid" made was he didn't do it fast enough.

Next time, perhaps you should check to see if you have enough room before changing lanes and then coming back over.

Nice to see you admit to your average IQ. Most people have them, but few admit to it. I call dibs on your mirrors the next time you part-out your bike!
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:49 am
Super Moderator

I see and somewhat agree with Joe's point, but the other rider has a responsibility in this scenario as well. "Stupid 1" (just using your terminology, Kevin ) needs to make sure that there is ample space and the traffic speeds aren't changing drastically before committing to move into the space between cars when merging back into the traffic flow for whatever reason. "Stupid 2" (sportbike rider, maybe not so squidly) needs to be responsible and make sure "Stupid 1" is clear of the path of travel and able to stay in the space he's moved in to to allow "Stupid 2" to safely pass.

Hopefully both "Stupids" learned from the experience, which will make them both better riders.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calyrider
Nice to see you admit to your average IQ. Most people have them, but few admit to it. I call dibs on your mirrors the next time you part-out your bike!
Last checked, it was at 156. But that's another thread entirely.

But let's both agree that I am of "average intelligence". At least I haven't grown to the point of being "unteachable".

As for calling dibs on my mirrors . . . just how are you going to mount '06 GT mirrors on that LT of yours?! Then again, maybe if you had GT mirrors mounted, you would've seen the "squid" passing you...instead of pulling into HIS lane and nearly slamming into the side of him.

Having fun yet?

OK, I'm done. Umm . . . for now.
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:04 pm

I call dibs on the moniker "Stupid 3" because I got 2/3 through the original post before realizing Calyrider was in California (duh!), and had been thinking "holy smokes, the guy was tired of waiting and decided to SPLIT LANES? Is he NUTS?"

And for the record, I only ASPIRE to an average IQ, my friends and I on the short bus have been told that we won't ever achieve that!

Yo, Joe, give the guy props for one thing, at least...an LT AND a sportbike side-by-side between lanes of regular traffic is pretty impressive under any circumstances, Evil Knievel can kiss my hairy butt!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Yo, Joe, give the guy props for one thing, at least...an LT AND a sportbike side-by-side between lanes of regular traffic is pretty impressive under any circumstances...
True true. That's the part I would've paid money to see. Oh...and to hear that leather sucking sound.
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:22 pm

I just read your signature line, Joe...you keep spewing that venom and it'll be a long wait for your next kiss!

lol

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quote:

Crap I have to agree with Joe. Lucky it is near the end of the year and I can start fresh again in a month or so...
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Quote:

+1

Sounds to me like you changed lanes twice without properly assessing the space available.

Glad to hear you came out without a scratch, maybe you should look into some blind spot mirrors

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 1:15 am

Calyrider,
Thanks for sharing with us and to remind us to be extra diligent especially in heavy traffic. I understand that aggressive driving makes for less predictable behavior. You have been riding for a long time without incident so my benefit of doubt certainly goes with you.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in