Bluenose Ferry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Question Bluenose Ferry

Hey All;

I am thinking of taking the SO to NovaScotia next year from Florida.
We NEED another long ride.
Has anyone taken the Bluenose Ferry out of Maine?
I plan early because we will not be going till Aug, 08.
Any help will be great.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:02 am

Didn't the original Bluenose ferry retire in the 80's.? It has been replaced by hi speed CAT service from Bar Harbour, Maine to NS. There is also another longer ferry ride from Portland. I have done both and they are wonderful, especailly after long day's riding.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Hey All;

Any help will be great.

Zeke
I've taken the Bluenose from Bar Harbor. If your going with anything other than M/C w/o a trailer you need to make reservations now. At the time I took the ferry they were still just squeezing in last minute riders. I would not count on that though, especially if I was on a time schedule.

The Portland Ferry is an overnight and that has it's advantages but August is good riding in Maine so I would take the Bar Harbor ferry and ride back along the Canadian coast.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 2:52 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Hey All;

Any help will be great.

Zeke

Good Luck, as the Bluenose no longer makes that run. The BN and Portland got into a pissing contest over mold in the terminal, BN pulled the plug, and sued the city. they won.

Now, the Cat (http://www.catferry.com/) makes the NS run from Maine (Portland and Bar Harbor). Pretty neat to watch that sucker come in from my office window

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Last edited by mconlogue; Nov 23rd, 2007 at 2:54 pm. Reason: add URL
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 7:30 pm

Interesting, How long as that been the only ferry to Nova Scotia?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 10:23 am

Nova Scotia

We went to Nova Scotia last summer.
Took the CAT Ferry from Bar Harbor. You can take the ferry from Portsmouth but which would you rather do, ride the bike or spend more time on the ferry?

We found lots of info on the net about riding Nova Scotia.
https://novascotia.com/en/home/plana...s/default.aspx

Google motorcycle riding in Nova Scotia and you'll get lots of leads.

http://www.farmvacation.ns.ca/motorc...va_scotia.html

Stop by the Owl's Head Transportation museum for an interesting visit on your way up to Bar Harbor:

http://www.ohtm.org/

Sounds like you have a good trip planned.

Addendum: We did not make a reservation on the CAT ferry because we didn't what to have to keep a schedule that close. We checked into a motel across the street from the ferry terminal in Bar Harbor and put our name on the space available list. We got on the first boat during a busy tourist season. Space available was very difficult for people who wanted to bring a car over but there was room for motorcycles and passengers. Plan B, if we didn't get on the ferry was to just keep riding north up the coast of Maine and take the bridge over to Nova Scotia.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 24th, 2007 at 10:28 am.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:57 am

The Cat is awesomely fast. You'll be in Yarmouth before you know it. But don't be in such a hurry to leave Bar Harbor. Everything from the sights of Arcadia-Bar Harbor to food and the beer is great.

Eat well before you leave Bar Harbor, It may be a while before you have another good meal.

Mahone Bay is a very picturesque town, Peggy's Cove is Nice, and Cape Bretton is worth the distance. Pack lots of food and water for the ride up there.

WARNING: Don't ever order a perpperoni pizza in Canada. In Toronto and eastward, their pepperoni is not the same as American pepperoni. It tastes like the luncheon meat you get on death row in the prison systems.

OneShot
'06 OCEAN BLUE K1200 LT

'96 STATES-BLUE PEARL HARLEY SOFTAIL CUSTOM

God Bless America, Land that I love, Stand beside her, and guide her, Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam,
God bless America, my home, sweet, home.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 2:58 pm

Couple of corrections

Hi, all - Google alerts notified me of this thread. I serve as PR counsel to the company that owns Bay Ferries, which operates The CAT between Maine and Nova Scotia. Couple of corrections (and I'll spare y'all the detailed history):

The Bluenose ran between Bar Harbor ME and Yarmouth, NS. It was essentially owned and operated by a company owned by the Canadian government. My client assumed responsibility for that route as a for-profit company roughly a decade ago.

The Bluenose never ran between Yarmouth and Portland. That service was provided by a ship called the Scotia Prince. Several years back, the owners of the Prince claimed that they could not operate from Portland, alleging mold in the terminal. However, some observers noted that ridership on the Prince had been steeply declining for some time. Don't know myself. Wasn't there. Regardless, the owners of the Prince stopped operating from Portland.

The CAT had been running between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth for a number of years. It began service 3 days a week between Yarmouth and Portland in 2006. It was sufficiently successful that in the summer of 2007 four trips from Portland were made, and it will be the same in 2008.

And it's indeed a great ride. To drive to Yarmouth from Portland would take nearly 12 hours. The CAT does it in five and a quarter from Portland, about 3 from Bar Harbor. And if you've not seen Nova Scotia, you should... great place, great people (and if you have even the tiniest bit of Scottish blood in you, you really must see Cape Breton!

ON EDIT: Anyone wishing additional info on this feel free to PM me. I've been running boards and listservs since the mid '90s and am all too familiar with issues related to promotional stuff in groups like this. Don't wanna cross a line with this fine bunch.

cheers

Last edited by catferry; Nov 24th, 2007 at 4:08 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in