Turkey Day Concours ride! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Turkey Day Concours ride!

Drove 360 miles in the cage from ~35 deg weather with my 85 year old dad to visit my daughter and family in Ashburn, VA (DC burb). Whilst playing with the grandkids on a 73 deg. sunny day, I noticed their townhouse neighbor just pulled up on his new Concours.

Went over to chat with him, told him I had an LT & in less than 45 seconds I was tooling around the neighborhood on his brand new(5.3k miles) Concours. The LT riders have International Credentials!

It was smooth upshifting, but I had trouble going back down. I feathered the clutch around some of the corners and came back in about ten minutes.

It's a great ride, much lighter than my Light Tank and instrumentation more complex than the LT.

He is a Pakistini native, but a naturalized US citizen and speaks ENGLISH (British) flawlessly! We shared pictures (pulled out the laptop) of bikes, homeland and my recent rides.

Life is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kawi.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	15316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	15317  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Drove 360 miles in the cage from ~35 deg weather with my 85 year old dad to visit my daughter and family in Ashburn, VA (DC burb). Whilst playing with the grandkids on a 73 deg. sunny day, I noticed their townhouse neighbor just pulled up on his new Concours.

Went over to chat with him, told him I had an LT & in less than 45 seconds I was tooling around the neighborhood on his brand new(5.3k miles) Concours. The LT riders have International Credentials!

It was smooth upshifting, but I had trouble going back down. I feathered the clutch around some of the corners and came back in about ten minutes.

It's a great ride, much lighter than my Light Tank and instrumentation more complex than the LT.

He is a Pakistini native, but a naturalized US citizen and speaks ENGLISH (British) flawlessly! We shared pictures (pulled out the laptop) of bikes, homeland and my recent rides.

Life is good!

you look right at home on that Concours in that pic on the right!

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
you look right at home on that Concours in that pic on the right!
I was thinking the same thing.

Glad to hear you got a ride in Paul. The snow has started to fall here. I don't think I'll be riding for awhile. Oh well...plenty to keep me busy otherwise. Happy belated Turkey Day.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 6:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Usually he wears a bike helmet riding! A show-off too riding one leg and the other barefoot with his shoe over the handlebar!

Back home this evening looking at the LT in the garage and planning the winter projects assisted by a propane garage heater this winter. Heard it was going to the mid 20's tonight.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #5 of 9 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:03 pm

Nice ride report, Paul.

We're just back from BMW Cleveland. We decided to go there after doing some sight-seeing in Greenville, OH this morning. We saw BMWMOC's flyer and email about their prices, special inventories, blah blah blah.

You guys did get some snow! The closer we got to Geauga Lake the more snow there was on the ground. Looks like a couple of inches.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You guys did get some snow! The closer we got to Geauga Lake the more snow there was on the ground. Looks like a couple of inches.
4.5 on my back deck. Big difference from over by BMW MOC and "the snow belt".
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
4.5 on my back deck. Big difference from over by BMW MOC and "the snow belt".
Amazing. We had nothing down here, of course. Your riding season must be considerably shorter due to all the lake-effect snow.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 8:49 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

BMWMOC Deals (lol)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Nice ride report, Paul.

We're just back from BMW Cleveland. We decided to go there after doing some sight-seeing in Greenville, OH this morning. We saw BMWMOC's flyer and email about their prices, special inventories, blah blah blah.

Howard,
Any "real" goodies at MOC? May slide over there today . . only a few miles away.
Geauga Lake is now closed/sold and is being disassembled with some rides being shipped to other parks.The civilian traffic will be dwindling over the next year. Not sure what their future will hold.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Howard,
Any "real" goodies at MOC? May slide over there today . . only a few miles away.
Geauga Lake is now closed/sold and is being disassembled with some rides being shipped to other parks.The civilian traffic will be dwindling over the next year. Not sure what their future will hold.
No real deals, unfortunately. Some bikes are showing $1k off, or $1500 in "Dale Dollars". Not sure about that, but I think they are named for the dealership owner and you have to spend those "dollars" in their store. They had a good selection of 07s last night, but no R1200GS.

We wanted to be there at 4:00; got there at 5:15 and then left at 6:00 as they turned off the lights behind us. 3 hours home; 6 hours of driving for 45 minutes in a BMW dealership?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in