clothing for us big guys - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:56 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

clothing for us big guys

I am 65 and 245 lbs has anyone had success finding riding gear that fits us big guys well. I have some First Gear clothing that has done fairly well for me but would like to branch out if possible.

In addition I am looking for any recommendations on winter gloves.

Thanks gglove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 3:00 am

Thought about heated clothing? http://www.gerbing.com/
For the big and tall stuff.. most mfg's have jackets in tall sizes. Pants may be a little more difficult. Most leather pants come in a 34" inseam, so if you need longer you may be out of luck.
Check New Enough and see what they have http://www.newenough.com/
They also sell on E bay and you can get good prices on their stuff if they happen to have it in your size. Also check the other sellers on E bay.
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 6:56 am

Have first gear jacket (6'5" 230) fits great. I found some pants at Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO that fit great. (I don't remember the MFG, but they were Long and in various waist sizes.)
However, they were for cold weather riding only. I have been trying to find a light weight pant with a liner so I could use them for both.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I have bought stuff from New enough and had some good luck. I am a 36" inseam so I have had a great deal of trouble with finding pants.
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 8:21 am
was

Check out First Gear HT overpants, they come in tall sizes. The are "waterproof" and with the insulating liner removed I find them comfortable up to about 80 F. With the liner installed I've been comfortable at temps well below freezing. They do not have CE approved armor, just foam padding, but you can buy the optional First Gear armor and it fits well.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 8:59 am

Just bought the First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket and HT Overpants. Seem to be good quality. Am very comfortable on these cool mornings. The tall sizes stop at 2x. I am 6"4" and 285lbs. Went with the 3x and is long enough in the arms. The HT pants tall, stops @42. They are nice length. Velcro fastner at bottom keeps them from riding up. We are somewhat limited being Tall & Big with choices!
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 9:19 am
Gold Supporter

Olympia makes about the best stuff I have been able to find. I am 6-04 and 250. Stuff fits great and the protection pads are adjustable to set them up where you need them.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

I have that same set up and it works great. My only complaint is that the pants are a little short when on the bike.
That is the first gear Kilimanjaro jacket and the HT overpants.

Last edited by gglove; Nov 7th, 2007 at 9:40 am. Reason: foregot some info
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Motoport does great suits and can custom make one to fit bigger folks.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:24 pm

6' 4", 250 lb. I have a First Gear rain jacket and pants. Danaise Leather Jacket, Hein Gericke Full Lined Leather Pants and Boots and a synthetic pant and jacket set from BMW. They fit great.
post #11 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Who are they making the pants for ?

Im short with about 28" inseam. Can't find any pants either. I bet those Olympia Executives are sitting around trying to figure out why they can't sell their line of pants. Durrrrr......
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 1:46 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisman
Im short with about 28" inseam. Can't find any pants either. I bet those Olympia Executives are sitting around trying to figure out why they can't sell their line of pants. Durrrrr......
Olympia pant are designed so the the bottom six inches can be easily hemmed. The zippers end six inches from the bottom and they put velcro there that can easily be altered...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Last edited by Ted Shred; Nov 7th, 2007 at 2:46 pm.
post #13 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 4:50 pm

First gear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants here, around 2 1/2 years old still going strong.
I'm very satisfied with both the jacket and the pants,
wear a Gerbings liner under the jacket for chilly rides,
rarely used the pants liner unless it gets really cold, both jacket and pants are waterproof.

The only complaint was the "huge" buckle on the pants it got in the way (due to my dunlop disease)
removed it and had the wife sew some velcro in it's place.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Olympia pant are designed so the the bottom six inches can be easily hemmed. The zippers end six inches from the bottom and they put velcro there that can easily be altered...
Indeed, if you email Olympia, telling them the pant style and color, they will mail you a swath of matching material to sew onto the bottom.
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Thumbs up Aerostich

I am 6'8" tall and a wimpy 240lbs. I couldn't find anything that fit appropriately....

It might be a little expensive and a few hours of travel, but I went to Duluth, MN and visited Aerostich Hdqtrs. They will measure and tailor a jacket, pants, or whatever you need.... it was a lil' more money, but made me a happy camper.

Other than that...... I agree with the majority, First Gear was the next best thing.

Just an idea,

JC

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #16 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:20 pm

I would ditto the AeroStitch endorsment. I am 6'-10" and weigh 280 and have a Roadcrafter suit and also a Darien jacket and pants. Love 'em both and have been wearing my AeroStitches since 1990.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Motoport does great suits and can custom make one to fit bigger folks.
I second Motoport. I am 6'3" and 310 lbs. I had them make me a jacket and it is almost too big. Never had that happen before. Usually they are too tight in the shoulders. They take several measurements to insure a good fit.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 8:34 am

Big Guys Clothes

I'm 6'4" 280-was 320...

Winter = Belstaff Discovery and Belstaff pants.

Spring & Fall= BMW Santiago full suit

Summer, First Gear Air w/ BMW Summer pants.

Heated= Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. They make big and tall and I think they will customize.

Boots= Whatever I try on and fits the size 14.

Helmet= Arai Signet GTR XXXL

Thermal under ware = Under Armor and silks from Cabelas in tall.

Socks = Sokz in XL. great socks.

Gloves = BMW summer and Winter, HELD for mid season, and Gerbing for cold. Also like Deer skin work gloves for really hot weather. They seem to breath.

I think Stich is a superb option too. These are just what I've found to fit. I tend to go to annual bike show in Atlanta and Daytona Bike Week and try stuff on.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #19 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
I second Motoport. I am 6'3" and 310 lbs. I had them make me a jacket and it is almost too big. Never had that happen before. Usually they are too tight in the shoulders. They take several measurements to insure a good fit.
nightcrawler921 you are right about them making them to fit and if you get the insulated jacket liner you can send it to Gerbing and they will wire it for you. that gives you a electric liner that fits too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in