BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Bmw Mc Training Courses

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stapleford 
#1 ·
September 6, 2007 Thursday 4:27 PM GMT

BMW to Launch Motorcycle Rider Training Program at the BMW Performance Center;
On- and Off-Road Courses Available at Spartanburg, South Carolina, Facility
Beginning September 7

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Sept. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Motorcycle enthusiasts will be able to take advantage of official BMW Motorrad rider training for the first time ever in the U.S. with the launch of the new BMW Motorcycle Rider Training program at the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina, it was announced today by Arturo Pineiro, Vice President, BMW Motorrad USA. Led by professional instructors utilizing BMW motorcycles exclusively, the new program will offer on- and off-road courses year-round designed to increase safety and confidence in an environment that maximizes the riders' potential. Classes will begin Friday, September 7, and are available to BMW owners and non-owners.

"Since 1999 the BMW Performance Driving School has successfully proven that drivers are ready to take their skills to the next level, and we are pleased to now offer this new experience for motorcycle enthusiasts," said Pineiro. "Riders will acquire the practical and technical skills to make every ride safer and more enjoyable wherever their next destination may be."

The BMW Motorcycle Riding Program will offer a range of classes that will
include time in the classroom and on the course with various models of BMW motorcycles, including the BMW R 1200 GS, F 650 GS, G 650 X challenge, G 650 X country or a student's own BMW motorcycle. The following programs will be available at launch:

-- On-Road School: This one-day class lets students ride on the BMW
Performance Driving School course for exercises including braking
techniques, steering, accident avoidance, a slalom course, cornering
styles, road hazard maneuvering and low-speed maneuvering. The on-road
course also involves some dual-sport drills, which will help riders
handle inevitable occurrences such as gravel or unpaved road;

-- Off-Road School: This one-day course is patterned after the curriculum
at the BMW Enduro Park in Hechlingen, Germany, and is designed for the
rider who is new to off-road riding or may already have experience but
would like more training. Students experience the BMW Performance
Center's off-road course with surfaces including dirt, gravel and
grass, and focus on exercises such as riding position, braking, slalom,
stopping on a hill, recovery from a hill, hill climb and descent and
riding ruts and logs. In addition, riders will do "Enduro-laps," which
are lead-follow laps in which students follow instructors through a
series of wooded trails or exercises in order to practice techniques
they have learned;

-- On- and Off-Road School: This two-day program combines the experiences
and skills learned at each of the one-day schools for a comprehensive
training program. The first day is spent with the on-road curriculum
while day two focuses on off-road training exercises.

Costs range from $480 per day -- for participants using their own BMW
motorcycle -- up to $650 per day for participants renting a BMW motorcycle. BMW Performance Motorcycle Riding Program courses are recommended for those with intermediate riding experience, and all participants are required to wear full protective gear, including helmet, gloves, riding jacket, riding pants and boots that protect the ankles.

BMW Performance Center

The BMW Performance Center, located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, comprises the BMW Performance Driving School -- a 134-acre, state-of-the-art driving facility equipped with closed courses, water walls, a skid pad and an off-road course; a multi-purpose conference center; customer delivery center; and a service, paint and body facility. The 64,000 square-foot complex opened in 1999 and offers multiple BMW Performance Driving School courses year-round from BMW -certified Driving Instructors for teenagers up to experienced driving enthusiasts. Programs are open to BMW owners and non-owners alike.

For more information: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/PerformanceCenter/

BMW Group In America

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975.
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW
Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial
service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including
motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars;
DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in
Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW
Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global
manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models
and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented
in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports
Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car
dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW
Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Information about BMW Group products is available to consumers via the
Internet at:

http://www.bmwgroupna.com
/

http://www.bmwusa.com
/

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com
/

http://www.miniusa.com
/

http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com
/

CONTACT: Jan Ehlen, Group Communications Manager, Performance Center,
LLC, +1-201-307-3789, jan.ehlen@bmwna.com , or Roy Oliemuller, Communications
Manager, Motorcycles, +1-201-307-4082, roy.oliemuller@bmwna.com , both of BMW
of North America

Web site: http://www.bmwusa.com/

SOURCE BMW of North America, LLC

URL: http://www.prnewswire.com

LOAD-DATE: September 7, 2007

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

NOTES: NOTE TO EDITORS: Information about the BMW Group and its products is
available to journalists on-line at the BMW Group PressClub at the following
address: www.press.bmwgroup.com. Broadcast quality video footage is available
via The NewsMarket at www.thenewsmarket.com

PUBLICATION-TYPE: Newswire

Copyright 2007 PR Newswire Association LLC.
All Rights Reserved.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could anyone share their thinking on Intermediate road training?
For $160 here in Minneapolis, you can take a 3 day course. 1 classroom, 2 road and parking lot maneuvers. This is not the same course to get you MC license. It is for riders who have at least 3,000 recommended miles behind them and want to be proactive in
education.. Thinking of signing up for this before it sells out. The lazy part of me says
what for?, you know how to maneuver and manage fine. Being a pilot, I'm required by law to take mandatory training to keep license current and to fly different birds. Please advise if you went thru this additional MC training, is it worth it?. Thanks, Stapleford.

;)

#3 ·
I've been through 3 or 4 classes over the years. You'll be surprised what bad habits you may have and what you've forgotten.

I taught MSF for about 5 years at one time. We had a few people that took the basic or advance course either ever or every other year to keep their skills sharp. I've been thinking about attending a school since it's been a while for me.

#5 ·
stapleford said:
Could anyone share their thinking on Intermediate road training?
For $160 here in Minneapolis, you can take a 3 day course. 1 classroom, 2 road and parking lot maneuvers. This is not the same course to get you MC license. It is for riders who have at least 3,000 recommended miles behind them and want to be proactive in
education.. Thinking of signing up for this before it sells out. The lazy part of me says
what for?, you know how to maneuver and manage fine. Being a pilot, I'm required by law to take mandatory training to keep license current and to fly different birds. Please advise if you went thru this additional MC training, is it worth it?. Thanks, Stapleford.

;)
Yes. Additional training is worth it. I believe in frequent training. I don't know about your specific course in Minneapolis.

I took the MSF advanced course (now ERC) every few years for a couple decades, but finally got bored with it. Since then, I have taken other training that was good.

In addition to training, think about reading these books during those long Minnesota winters:

David L. Hough: Proficient Motorcycling, 2nd Edition
David L. Hough: More Proficient Motorcycling
Nick Ienatsch: Sport Riding Techniques

Also highly recommended by others:
Keith Code: Twist of the Wrist 2

#6 ·
XMagnaRider said:
Yes. Additional training is worth it. I believe in frequent training. I don't know about your specific course in Minneapolis.

I took the MSF advanced course (now ERC) every few years for a couple decades, but finally got bored with it. Since then, I have taken other training that was good.

In addition to training, think about reading these books during those long Minnesota winters:

David L. Hough: Proficient Motorcycling, 2nd Edition
David L. Hough: More Proficient Motorcycling
Nick Ienatsch: Sport Riding Techniques

Also highly recommended by others:
Keith Code: Twist of the Wrist 2
Thanks for the recommended readings, will look em up. The Minnesota course I believe is the MSF advanced course, now ERC. Really do not know what to expect other than direction from safety experts and good handling ideas. I'm sure bad habits are already part of my riding. Will stay proactive, it was a promise I made to myself when buying the bike.
Funny, I never considered motorcycle riding a sport, but they are indeed an interesting, and fun way to spend time traveling..

#7 ·
If you reserve the whole ERC rider course it's $300 in Mn.I did it last year.Got 10 of my friends and relatives together and it was only $30 apiece.We took it at North Hennepin Vo-Tech.It rained the whole day,but we still had a great time and nobody I talked to said that it wasn't worthwhile.I've been riding for 30+ years and can't believe how much I learned.Practicing panic maneuvers in the rain will give you a whole new appreciation of ABS brakes.

#8 ·
ChiefMn said:
If you reserve the whole ERC rider course it's $300 in Mn.I did it last year.Got 10 of my friends and relatives together and it was only $30 apiece.We took it at North Hennepin Vo-Tech.It rained the whole day,but we still had a great time and nobody I talked to said that it wasn't worthwhile.I've been riding for 30+ years and can't believe how much I learned.Practicing panic maneuvers in the rain will give you a whole new appreciation of ABS brakes.

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.