BMW maintenance plan for cars vs bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:09 am Thread Starter

BMW maintenance plan for cars vs bikes

I have recently seen ads on TV for BMW car maintenance where BMW will take care of ALL maintenance for cars for like 4 yrs/50K miles. Why can't they do that for the bikes too? Seems like it would sell more bikes. I'm sure they'd add on to the price though, to an already over-priced product (that's my opinion, but I think ALL new vehicles are over-priced).

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Why can't they do that for the bikes too? Seems like it would sell more bikes.
From what I've read, there is a huge chasm between the auto maker known as BMW and our beloved BMW Motorrad. Don't ever confuse the two.

Experts?
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:53 am

Audi has a similar plan for their cars, as does Mercedes - except for the C class (entry level) - and that maintenance cost is included in the purchase price.

What I like about such a plan is that you know exactly what the car will cost you monthly for the first 4 years. That is also a great incentive to lease vs. purchase as your typical lease period benefits from the warranty and maintenance program. When all this expires it is time to return the vehicle and get a new one. My previous Audi did cost me a fortune in repairs after the 3 year warranty expired (I bought it used in the first place).
With that reasoning I will either get an extended for my 05 LT or sell it and get a newer bike still under warranty. German vehicles are just too darn expensive to repair.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:13 am Thread Starter

I think part opf the ad is that the "others" have dropped their service plan. I owned an Audi Fox. I will NEVER own another Audi, I don;t care how good/nice/fast/dependable someone may say. They are pretty to look at and I hope all that own enjoy their experience. When mine would run, it was a fun little car.

and yes I know the two companies are basically separate entities with a common name. And doubt that they ever cross paths much. but look at Suzuki's ads now, putting hte bikes and cars together. Interesting.

Randy
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:14 am

It seems to me that BMW would have to completely revamp the maintenance schedule for their bikes to even consider including scheduled maintenance in the initial purchase price.

All of the newer cars use condition based, not mileage, maintenance schedules and certainly don't include replacing the spark plugs and checking the valves at 12K intervals. This has to extend out the maintenance intervals and reduce costs. The easier access to maintenance items on their cars would certainly make them less expensive to maintain when compared to the bikes.

I'm sure that BMW and the other car makers that include scheduled maintenance see a reduction in marketing costs associated with attracting new customers. Every maintenance visit is an additional selling opportunity for the dealers.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in