Rear Drive & Metzler ME880 ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:21 am
JMeese

Rear Drive & Metzler ME880 ?

could this be the reason I ride the 02 LT have had no problem as of yet. As we all know if you ride on the Metzler ME880 tire after about 4,000 miles you get the tire humm when you lean one way or the other even on a slight curve. I have posted an article on sanding your tire to keep this noise from happening. now think about this I travel 2 up most of the time loaded heavy on a trip most of us do. so you get the tire noise which is a vibration set up by the tire what bearing takes all the suffering and pain from this??? ok so you go threw a few sets of tires and get 50,000 or more miles on your bike and keep using the ME880 to get the better mileage with the hard rubber and put up with the humming noise when you lean the bike so could this be our REAR drive failure problem in a nut shell ?
I don't know if you get this with the bridgestone or other brands of tires because they are softer rubber and don't last as long I do know when you put a new set of tires on for the first 3 or 4,000 the bike is quiet and smooth like it is supposed to be. so it would be interesting to see how many ridders who had rear drive problems were using the ME880 or had used them if they came with the bike.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeese
...As we all know if you ride on the Metzler ME880 tire after about 4,000 miles you get the tire humm when you lean one way or the other even on a slight curve. ...
I've never noticed any rear tire hum in nearly 80k miles. I do wear earplugs and a full face helmet, and usually have the stereo on, and the wind screen at its lowest. I do hear the front whine but only close to the end of its useful life, like 18k.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:39 am

You get the hum on the bridgestones as well. The cupping hum is even worse !!! I don't get a hum from the rear tire. I get a hum from the metzler in the front.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:36 am

I used to get the whining sound with the rear Metz when they were partially used, but never the front.

Never had the noise with the BT020.
Maybe road condition is a big factor...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:48 am

I think its a function of the back shock. It is generally toast by 12k miles, and if you don't swap it out for Ohlins (or equivalent) the back end starts to take a serious beating.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:03 pm

The fact is, the LT is not the only model plagued with these failures. My GT failed at just under 19K, with Michelins mounted and not one iota of vibration. It's not the tires. It's not the lube. It's not the mileage or maintenace schedule. Nor is the position of the moon or stars. It's simply the luck of the draw. Either you get a "good one" or you don't. After all...life is like a box of chocolates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in