stop lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

stop lights

Okay, here's a question that is bound to provide lots of answers. But I just want to see what others do. When you're at a stop light do you sit with the bike in 1st and the clutch in or do you put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out? Which is best practice for preserving the clutch?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:05 pm

When I'm as SURE as I can be the cars around me have stopped and it looks like the light will stay red a while, I go to neutral and release the clutch.

HOWEVER... my foot floats above the gear shift lever and my hand's over the clutch... ... just in case I need to LEAVE in a hurry.

Keep scanning and listening for squealing tires.... etc... and have an idea of WHERE you will go to...

I stop behind the "stop bar" as much as I can without getting rearended... that gives me some "room" in case I need the space to the rear...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:14 pm

Tell ya the truth, I had to read your question a few times just so I understood it! Never thought there was an option.

ALWAYS in 1st - clutch in - right foot on brake, often doing the '1,2,3' tap dance as I watch the guy come'n up from the rear. Once he's stopped - I stay that way cuz the light's 'bout to turn green

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:22 pm

I stay off the clutch as much as possible... The only time I don't go to neutral is when I hit a stop sign with no traffic...

Me I rather adjust a clutch cable and change it every once in a while than have a hydralic clutch, but I guess thats progress .............Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
ALWAYS in 1st - clutch in - right foot on brake, often doing the '1,2,3' tap dance as I watch the guy come'n up from the rear. Once he's stopped - I stay that way cuz the light's 'bout to turn green
+1 Never know when you might need a fast get-a-way.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:30 am

Best practices for clutch and for safety are different

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Okay, here's a question that is bound to provide lots of answers. But I just want to see what others do. When you're at a stop light do you sit with the bike in 1st and the clutch in or do you put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out? Which is best practice for preserving the clutch?
Best practice for saving the clutch is to put it in neutral. Actually what putting it in neutral saves is the throw-out bearing, and maybe the slave cylinder (it seems we have a history of slave cylinder failures .

Best practice for defensive riding is keeping it in gear to enable getting outta the way of the blind zombie speeding into your zone.

So do one or the other depending on circumstances. Vehicles already stopped behind you with good clearance?, put it in neutral.

Yeah, sometimes I wait in gear for what I consider a stable or predictable situation to develop around me and then I put it in neutral and then the light changes in a few seconds. But I do feel better about putting it in neutral when the situation around me makes me comfortable enough to do so.
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:40 am
was

I try not to stop at stop lights. No, I don't run them, but when I see a light turn yellow or red up ahead of me I slow down well before I come up to the light or the cage in front (depending on traffic, of course) and try to stay upright until the light turns green and the cage in front of me moves. Along with remaining in first gear, it's good practice for balancing the bike at very slow speed. I'm sure this puts more stress on both the clutch (feathering it in and out) and the rear brake (light feathering), but when one of them wears out I'll replace it. When I do have to come to full stop I leave the bike in first.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:02 am

Quote:
...So do one or the other depending on circumstances. Vehicles already stopped behind you with good clearance?, put it in neutral...
+1 for it depends on the circumstances

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:34 am

Best practice according to MSF clutch in, right foot on brake and left foot on the ground. Going with the concept of always maintaining a defensive posture I think this is the safest option. Seems to me you are also saving one clutch engagement.

Dave
'06 R1200RT
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:56 am

Exclamation

Always in first gear, my left foot on the floor, right foot on the brake pedal, and my eyes checking the mirrors.

Riding with others you observe a lot of interesting things happen, such as riders revving the engine up until they realize they are in neutral. Because they have both feet on the ground they first need to balance the bike, put their left foot on the peg and shift into first while the car behind them started moving forward, close to rear-ending them. These 2 seconds seem like an eternity and the take-off is not smooth...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Always in first gear, my left foot on the floor, right foot on the brake pedal, and my eyes checking the mirrors.

Riding with others you observe a lot of interesting things happen, such as riders revving the engine up until they realize they are in neutral. Because they have both feet on the ground they first need to balance the bike, put their left foot on the peg and shift into first while the car behind them started moving forward, close to rear-ending them. These 2 seconds seem like an eternity and the take-off is not smooth...
+1... I have seen this too many times...

If I am amongst cages and the light might take a while, I'll go to neutral. But if I'm alone out there, I'm ready to take flight in the event the big bad brainless bastard behind decides he wants to take a bite out 'o' my rear trunk. Got close twice so far... Had the out and took it. Wouldn't have been able to do that from neutral.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #12 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:17 pm

Garage
Clutch in, in first gear, hand brake engaged watching the mirrors for Soccer Mom in her Mommy Tank coming from the rear.

To me, it's worth the wear and tear engaging the clutch and braking to ensure I can get the hell out of the way of that big SUV or 18 wheeler who decides to squash me like a bug.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Clutch in, in first gear, hand brake engaged watching the mirrors for Soccer Mom in her Mommy Tank coming from the rear..
Same here but I also flash my hand brake as someone is approaching me from the rear. Just to let them know I am there. After I have a car or two behind me stopped, I might put it in neutral if it is a long light and take my hand off the brake.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:09 pm

So you're supposed to stop at those things?

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Clutch in, first gear as well here.

There is NO strain on the clutch with the lever held in, only stress on the throwout bearing and if you have ever pulled a slave cylinder you will know that there is significant pressure on that bearing even when the clutch is released. 30K and holding.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Keep watching behind me

I generally keep it in 1st, but if it is a long light and someone is behind me, I'll slip it into neutral. Several months ago, not far from my home, at a major intersection close to I-75 and Fowler, a bike sat at a light and was rear ended. Early Sunday morning, very light traffic and now he is dead! Never heard the results and the markings are still all over the intersection pavement.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in