Olympia AirGlide 2: My first impression - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Olympia AirGlide 2: My first impression

Ok... let me start out by saying that I am kind of cheap. That may be because I have worked for every penny I have ever made... but you deserve to know that, because it may skew my opinion about product value and why I make decisions I make.

Over the last few years, I have been migrating away from the "black leather" just because it doesn't look so good on a BMW. I must say that I enjoy seeing bikers that are well outfitted and that truly look like bikers that are out to have a good time, but maintain as high a degree of safety as they can. For the most part, BMW riders have been the leaders in applying technology and common sense to their riding experience, and I not ashamed to say I have learned a lot about rider safety right here in this forum.

During the summer, I have been riding with a FirstGear meshtex jacket along with the helmet, gloves and boots. Mush of the time, I would also wear protective pants.

Last week, I decided to try to find something cooler. I decided on the Olympia AirGlide because I could find very few other options if you want to have light colors on both the jacket and pants. Also, several members of this forum indicated that they found the AirGlide pants and jacket to be relatively cool to ride in. One problem I have had with warm weather riding is getting hot while I was caught in traffic(no air). The dark pants are a killer when there is no air.

I must say I was impressed with the Olympia AirGlide 2 as soon as I took it out of the box. The jacket and the pants seem top notch. If that was not enough, I was equally impressed with the waterproof insulated liner that was also a part of the package. The liners well well designed and easy to remove and re-install. The CE protectors pockets are well designed and hold the protectors tightly in place.

When you look at the entire package, Olympia products seem to offer a lot of value. I see no reason why AirGlide 2 wouldn't be good to wear during cold weather too. I haven't wore them on a ride yet, but the design looks like the pants and the jacket should have good air flow (I have already been told that the air flow through the jacket and pants is good).

When I get a chance to go for a ride I will let you know what I think about the actual performance while riding in warm weather.

Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:09 pm

Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and although Olympia's stuff is nice looking it just isn't something I would EVER wear.

There's only two mesh fabrics in the world that are worth falling off for:

American Dupont Kevlar and European Schoeller kepro tech (sp?). As far as I know there are only TWO manufacturers that use these: Motoport and BMW. Both really expensive - but then again skin grafts ain't cheap. Kevlar is a bitch to fabricate and sew.

Everything except Kevlar will melt on contact and can exacerbate wounds since they literally turn into molten material and melt into your skin on contact - friction on pavement can easily get well over 500F. There's nothing worse than picking gravel/dirt out of skin combined with melted plastic. Usually they don't even attempt this at the ER and go right to stripping your skin off and replacing it with grafts.

Cordura (nylon) mesh is not really worthy of a serious slide. I would send your jacket back and get a refund ASAP. 1000 denier solid cordura is right up there with leather for abrasion resistance, but once again VERY few manufacturers use this and opt for the much cheaper 500 denier stuff - to the untrained eye it looks exactly the same. Of course 1000 denier is very dense and not breathable at all... suitable for racing and cold weather gear only.

I cringe every time I see someone riding in a Joe Rocket mesh jacket... polyester with a polyurethane coating. The WORST.

I've found that putting my cheesey nylon rain jacket UNDER my BMW mesh jacket I can get an amazing amount of extra warmth simply by defeating the airflow and evaporative cooling. Throw on a thin fleece vest with a high collar and I am good down to 50F when the electric vest is a must, along with a better jacket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:15 pm.
post #3 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:07 am

Olympia AirGlide

In the FWIW department, both my wife and I have the grey ones. We love them. We wear them year round in Charlotte NC. We have not worn them in a heavy rain, as we use rain suits when that happens. Me thinks they are not as good as rain suits, but like I have said, never tried it.

In the Winter, wearing the jacket liner and pants liner is plenty warm for most cold days here. When the temps get in the 20's and below, we wear a heated vest on low temp and we are just fine.

Thankfully, we have never had to check them out for slide characteristics.

Ultra LT

post #4 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:15 am

Dean,

Congrats on your purchase. I, too, am considering some Olympia gear, seems like a good combination of value/protection. If I had to wait to buy Kevlar before I could ride, I guess I'd never get on the bike.

I know there are better things out there to protect us from slides (Suburban, anyone? The ultimate protection from motorcycle crash injuries?), but we can't all afford those anymore than we can all live in nice big house. I'm poverty-stricken compared to most of the BMW riders here. So I look for stuff that is a good value.

I'll be interested in how the new suit does.

Randy
post #5 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:24 am

My wife and I have had the Airglide suits for a few years now. About 35000 miles worth. We love them. They are warm in the summer (we have the black suits) when sitting in traffic or walking around but when on the move they have great airflow. I have ridden in temps in the 20's many times for extended periods and with the liners and long undies, I was plenty warm. (I don't have any heated clothing, but the wife would like a vest). The liners are great against light rain or road spray, but for extended rides in solid rain, you need a rain suit. I agree that the rain suits add lots of warmth, so in the summer it is a choice of getting wet from rain or sweat! As far as protective qualities, I'm sure you will get lots of opinions here. There are different levels of protection ranging from a tee shirt to kevlar, etc. Certainly there is a trade off to be made between comfort, warmth, protection, style, etc. Do what you are comfortable with. Personally, I feel the Olympia suits provide the level of protection I am comfortable with. They are also a tremendous value for the $$$. Ride safe!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #6 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

American Dupont Kevlar and European Schoeller kepro tech (sp?). As far as I know there are only TWO manufacturers that use these: Motoport and BMW. .
Brosh uses Kevlar as well...

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #7 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:35 am

I wonder what my vanson mesh is made of?

The jkt is a mix of leather, 500 cordura and mesh and it was fairly expensive (about 280 bucks at lone star in 2003)...

I don't see this model on the website (don't even know what the model is) so I can't tell.

I had a first gear mesh for the first jkt, didn't take me long to realize the padding wasnt' good..

I low sided with the vanson and didn't even get an elbow bruise from hitting the concrete

the olympia's look good though, they have them at the beemer dealer here.
post #8 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:44 am

Quote:
Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and although Olympia's stuff is nice looking it just isn't something I would EVER wear.
Being a novice to this sport it's threads of this nature that really assist in helping me with important decisions as to what gear to buy. I appreciate Dean's point of view on the Olympia stuff as well as what Ron wrote. Since I'm entering in to motorcycling in my 40's with a couple of kids that I need to put through college and hopefully see happily married one day, good gear is something that I'll spend (or overspend?) for. True, we'd all like to live in mansions, drive the latest twin turbo variant that my friends at Porsche put out every year, and jet set about the globe but that ain't happening - at least in my world.

My approach is to amass quality gear over time. Even though my wallet may be getting pinched up front, I feel my investment in a full face Shoei X-Eleven helmet and BMW & Vanson clothing is a must (that and some MSF classes). I'm of the mindset to do without some bling-bling right now in order to protect my skin (literally) over the long haul.

Again, great post. Really enjoyed Ron's write-up although I'll concede that not everyone can afford to feel as passionately.

Regards,

David
post #9 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:16 pm

Angry We've been duped!

Quote:

There's only two mesh fabrics in the world that are worth falling off for:

American Dupont Kevlar and European Schoeller kepro tech (sp?). As far as I know there are only TWO manufacturers that use these: Motoport and BMW. Both really expensive - but then again skin grafts ain't cheap. Kevlar is a bitch to fabricate and sew.

Everything except Kevlar will melt on contact and can exacerbate wounds since they literally turn into molten material and melt into your skin on contact - friction on pavement can easily get well over 500F. There's nothing worse than picking gravel/dirt out of skin combined with melted plastic. Usually they don't even attempt this at the ER and go right to stripping your skin off and replacing it with grafts.

Cordura (nylon) mesh is not really worthy of a serious slide. I would send your jacket back and get a refund ASAP. 1000 denier solid cordura is right up there with leather for abrasion resistance, but once again VERY few manufacturers use this and opt for the much cheaper 500 denier stuff - to the untrained eye it looks exactly the same. Of course 1000 denier is very dense and not breathable at all... suitable for racing and cold weather gear only.

I cringe every time I see someone riding in a Joe Rocket mesh jacket... polyester with a polyurethane coating. The WORST.

I've found that putting my cheesey nylon rain jacket UNDER my BMW mesh jacket I can get an amazing amount of extra warmth simply by defeating the airflow and evaporative cooling. Throw on a thin fleece vest with a high collar and I am good down to 50F when the electric vest is a must, along with a better jacket.
So let me get this straight. I would be just as smart to not wear my First Gear and Tourmaster and Joe Rocket and Olympia protective jackets and pants, go back to Blue Jeans and T-shirts like my Harley Buds and quit fooling myself that the jackets I wear really don't give me any protection and are going to do more harm than good.
Seems to me 600 Cordura or Mesh with armor is still better that nothing.
Next you will tell me my Nolan or HJC helmets are a joke and offer no protection either, 'cause they are flip face and may pop open if I go face first on a rock strategically left behind by Mother Nature!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #10 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Do the research and make your own decision

There is all kinds of trade offs... looks, color, comfort, price, and protection. Well respected companies like Aerostich have an opinion. Wasn't Aerostich what Don Arthur was wearing when he took his long slide down the highway? I think I remember he had no road rash at all.

I think there is little doubt that there is some great equipment out there that can offer better protection... I am not sure I want to be the one wearing it on a 100 degree day with 70 percent humidity. Everyone has to make choices.

While I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, I certainly can afford to invest 400 to 600 dollars into a jacket that will save my hide... but I can't afford to buy one that I won't wear because it is too hot. I bought the Olympia gear because it was touted by other members as being a very cool jacket on a hot day. And there is plenty of stories of people that were wearing Olimpia gear during a crash that felt like they got good performance from it.

In the end, do your research and buy what will work for you. If you live in the South where temperatures are 100 degrees with high humidity, you may very well make a different choice that you would if you lived in the North.
post #11 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:32 pm

Olympia AirGlide 2: My first impression

I've had the jacket now for a couple of years. It works great in the hot weather. I'm not going to dispute that melted synthetic fibers will stick to you. But I will dispute that the jacket is defective. You need to have one very serious and high speed crash that sends you sliding down the road for several hundred feet, and concentrate enough weight in one place long enough to melt the synthetic fabric.

I went down one morning on the way to work several years ago wearing Firstgear pants made from 500 denier cordura. I slid 70 feet across the asphalt on my left hip. It tore one hole in the pants the size of a quarter and several others that were about 1/8" in diameter. No other damage to the pants.

The one thing that Ron misses in is trashing of all that is not kevlar or 1000 denier cordura, is that all of the high contact areas of the jacket also have armor underneath them, so it would take quite a spill to melt the jacket, abrade through the armor, and then stick to me.

The other advantage of not having kevlar is that the cordura based riding gear is designed to slide across pavement. Try dragging a piece of kevlar across a paved surface. It sticks better than denim. This sticking would cause a crashing rider to tumble. Tumbling causes much more serious trauma than sliding.

In a high speed crash that would send you sliding far enough to worry about melting enough of the 500 denier cordura to non-armored areas, you're probably going to have much more serious injuries to worry about than a few minor burns and patches of melted cordura stuck to you.

Enjoy your well made Olympia gear!

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #12 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
So let me get this straight. I would be just as smart to not wear my First Gear and Tourmaster and Joe Rocket and Olympia protective jackets and pants, go back to Blue Jeans and T-shirts like my Harley Buds and quit fooling myself that the jackets I wear really don't give me any protection and are going to do more harm than good.
Seems to me 600 Cordura or Mesh with armor is still better that nothing.
Next you will tell me my Nolan or HJC helmets are a joke and offer no protection either, 'cause they are flip face and may pop open if I go face first on a rock strategically left behind by Mother Nature!
Your logic is totally lost on me - I've never advocated going back to blue jeans and cheap leather jackets - and don't even think of getting me started on helmets... (cause you just might find out that one of the least expensive on the market offers the most protection)

All I'm saying is that you generally get what you pay for, and almost all of the manufacturers of "cycle specific" mass market clothing use cheap materials, inferior construction techniques and substitute bling for protection. 98% of riders buy their protective gear based on looks and price, without bothering to do any investigation into how much protection their gear actually provides or what it is made from. If it isn't made from Kevlar, thick leather or 1,000 denier cordura you're just pissin' away your money, period. This stuff is ALL expensive and MUCH harder to fabricate, cut, sew, etc... That's why the good gear costs so freakin' much.

Go ahead and buy the Joe Rocket Phoenix crapola for $125.00 you see in most motorcycle shops or on the Internet, just don't come a cryin' when you need $50K worth of cosmetic surgery just to re-attach your skin.

Me, I'll pop for the $399.00 Motoport air mesh jacket, the $425.00 BMW airflow jacket, or the $577.00 Vanson pro perf leather. Cheap insurance, but the REAL reason I would buy one of these is -

'cause I don't wanna' ruin my tan lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:11 pm

"The other advantage of not having kevlar is that the cordura based riding gear is designed to slide across pavement. Try dragging a piece of kevlar across a paved surface. It sticks better than denim. This sticking would cause a crashing rider to tumble."

100% baloney, and here's what Motorport, arguably one of the premier manufacturers of quality protective gear has to say about that:

"DuPont Kevlar Strikes Again

In order to give it the proper motorcycle abrasion strength Kevlar
must be woven together with Cordura and Lycra, ei Schoellerʼs
Keprotec. These are the only suits approved for road racing other
than leather. Some gear manufacturers use small portions of
pure Kevlar as a gimmick. Quality full suits of it can be found.
This gear is lighter, offers greater protection and it breathes. It
slides on pavement the same way as leather and dissipates friction
and heat better than leather."

and just for fun:

Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers: Pounds of force until fabric tears - Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails

Cotton Jeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure

70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure

500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure

200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure

500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure

620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure

NEW Competition Grade Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure

1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure

Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure

Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles to failure (EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE)

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 1st, 2007 at 3:30 pm.
post #14 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:12 pm

Red face That's why I see so many shirtless riders!

Quote:

If it isn't made from Kevlar, thick leather or 1,000 denier cordura you're just pissin' away your money, period. This stuff is ALL expensive and MUCH harder to fabricate, cut, sew, etc... That's why the good gear costs so freakin' much.
That's why I see so many shirtless riders!
They know that if it's not hot and heavy, it's worthless! And I thought they were idiots. I'm the fool, wasted a lot on TourMaster and Firstgear jackets and Olympia pants. I guess I'll skip that Aerostitch Darian 'cause it's not 1000 denier!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #15 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:52 pm

Quote:
... If it isn't made from Kevlar, thick leather or 1,000 denier cordura you're just pissin' away your money, period. This stuff is ALL expensive and MUCH harder to fabricate, cut, sew, etc... That's why the good gear costs so freakin' much.
But don't forget. Most well-made textile motorcycle clothing including Olympia provides, at the very least, two layers of Cordura at the key abrasion points (elbows, knees, shoulders, etc.). The main shell is usually 500-600 denier and the abrasion patches at least 600. Two layers of Cordura 500/700 is probably closely equivalent to one layer of 1000.

More important, in my opinion, is the armor. It needs to have abrasion resistance, too. The Aerostich TF series pads have the best, toughest, armor surface I've ever seen on pads. CE rated or not, most of the padding out there is just spongy crap with (rarely) a thin hard shell of plastic. BMW garments have excellent armor that seems more abrasion than impact resistant. Motoport: I'm not so impressed with what they use, but maybe they think they can get away with it since Kevlar is involved. I bought an Olympia jacket to replace my Aerostich Darien, but replaced its armor with the Aerostich pads. As such, I have no doubt the Olympia will protect me as well as the Darien, (which, BTW, I crashed and repaired). Whether it will hold up as well to the rigors of normal wear and tear remains to be seen.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #16 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
That's why I see so many shirtless riders!
They know that if it's not hot and heavy, it's worthless! And I thought they were idiots. I'm the fool, wasted a lot on TourMaster and Firstgear jackets and Olympia pants. I guess I'll skip that Aerostitch Darian 'cause it's not 1000 denier!
...and I'll have to agree with you on the Darien, since being made from 500 denier cordura it's only 5 times stronger than denim - whereas Kevlar mesh is 57 times stronger than 500 denier cordura...

...and 262 times as strong as denim.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 43 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
But don't forget. Most well-made textile motorcycle clothing including Olympia provides, at the very least, two layers of Cordura at the key abrasion points (elbows, knees, shoulders, etc.). The main shell is usually 500-600 denier and the abrasion patches at least 600. Two layers of Cordura 500/700 is probably closely equivalent to one layer of 1000.

More important, in my opinion, is the armor. It needs to have abrasion resistance, too. The Aerostich TF series pads have the best, toughest, armor surface I've ever seen on pads. CE rated or not, most of the padding out there is just spongy crap with (rarely) a thin hard shell of plastic. BMW garments have excellent armor that seems more abrasion than impact resistant. Motoport: I'm not so impressed with what they use, but maybe they think they can get away with it since Kevlar is involved. I bought an Olympia jacket to replace my Aerostich Darien, but replaced its armor with the Aerostich pads. As such, I have no doubt the Olympia will protect me as well as the Darien, (which, BTW, I crashed and repaired). Whether it will hold up as well to the rigors of normal wear and tear remains to be seen.
Good points!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 43 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:25 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
....True, we'd all like to live in mansions, drive the latest twin turbo variant that my friends at Porsche put out every year, and jet set about the globe but that ain't happening - at least in my world....
Actually David, don't feel too bad! Not all of us like mansions (anything over 2000 sq ft is too big for me). In So Kal, you can't get a twin turbo Porsche out of second gear (we tried). Plus, I got sick of Habib laughing at me every time I had to fill her up with PREMIUM! Tried jets--but just blew chunks in a bag. So, guess I have to be just a regular, ordinary pee-on, after all! Well, I'm very depressed now. Think I need to go take a ride on my GT (which is quicker than a twin turbo Porsche, anyway).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #19 of 43 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:29 am

The Olympia pants did well by me in a 60mph get off from a GW.
Now, will someone please tell me why I wasn't wearing the air flow jacket at the time?
Guess I should have stayed in a Holiday Inn the night before.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #20 of 43 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:54 am

Talking Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDRS
Now, will someone please tell me why I wasn't wearing the air flow jacket at the time?
Guess I should have stayed in a Holiday Inn the night before.
Why were'nt you wearing the jacket? Was it because someone said "If it isn't made from Kevlar, thick leather or 1,000 denier cordura you're just pissin' away your money, period." so you decided to save your money?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #21 of 43 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:33 am

Thumbs up Vanson Air Max

I enjoy my Olympia Air Glide 2 pants & jacket. I had the Air Glide 1 jacket before (3 years ).
When it is real hot my jacket is a Vanson Air Max 3, best around for here in Texas.
post #22 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:07 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller....[/b
and just for fun:

Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers: Pounds of force until fabric tears - Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails

Cotton Jeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure

70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure

500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure

200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure

500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure

620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure

NEW Competition Grade Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure

1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure

Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure

Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles to failure (EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE)
Ron, thanks for the chart. I have never seen anything like this. I wonder how crazy it would be to spend a thousand smacks on a stretch kevlar one piece?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #23 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:26 am

I have the original Airglide jacket and pants. Had 'em for about 3 yrs now. I love them. The liners work really well to keep me warm down to about 40.

As far as protection goes, I had an encounter with a deer in the spring tat forced me off the road and into a ditch. Totaled my '86 Connie and sent me tumbling. Brand new Rocket helmet had a gash on the back from a rock. Olympia Airglide had dirt and grass stains, but no tears, rips, or anything else. If had been wearing the pants, my knee wouldn't have this scar on it from whacking a rock at 45 mph.

Say what you will. I LOVE my Olympia gear!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #24 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:57 am

I Ride

to the store, I ride to the beach, I ride to work, I ride five or six times a day. Jeans and tee shirt for me. I have no desire to look like an overheated Wehrmacht soldier. I guess I should sell my LT and get a Harley? Oh yeah, I wear the best helmet I can afford at all times cause they don't do head grafts.
post #25 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quote:
...and I'll have to agree with you on the Darien, since being made from 500 denier cordura it's only 5 times stronger than denim - whereas Kevlar mesh is 57 times stronger than 500 denier cordura...

...and 262 times as strong as denim.
Or you could get a suit made of stainless steel chainmail with a kevlar liner. Your choice of riding gear differs from mine in the same fashion that some people like to buy Volvos because they crash so good and I buy something else. There are some products on the market that are definitely superior to what I have; however, they just don't provide value to me as they might for others.

I have the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and pants and they are great. I was out west before it got super hot (barely broke 100) and was very comfortable. On a cool evening ride, the jacket liner was nice and comfy.

As for rain, the liners are supposedly waterproof but they're also hot. I'll have to see how they work this winter if I use them. When I'm facing rain on a road trip I just empty my pockets into the panniers then proceed to get soaked. The airflow on these things has you dried out in no time.

I haven't had the oppotunity to crash with the Airglide2 so I can't report on that aspect. I do feel that the material and armor is clearly a giant step up from jeans and a t-shirt and that my injuries, should my bike fling me off, ought to be a lot less than before.
post #26 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
You know Thomas, every time I see your avatar all I can think is "Dumbass".

And if it comes to it, I do know some guys who could make that chainmail jacket for you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
to the store, I ride to the beach, I ride to work, I ride five or six times a day. Jeans and tee shirt for me.
Your choice, as it's your skin. But after having my hands scrubbed mercilessly after I went down with no gloves on, I just can't see riding without decent protection. And the vanity of fashion is that last thing I'd be concerned with when considering whether to suit up or not. Do you really think anyone else cares what you look like on the bike? How about what you'd look like covered in seeping gauze?

I'll admit to being a bit more lax on pants, but having picked up a pair of Aerostitch pants recently I wear them much more often. They're comfortable over a wide temp range, very easy on/off even while wearing boots, and offer excellent protection just in case I need it.

I have a few friends that swear by 3/4 helmets. I just feel naked wearing one, so I'll stick to my flip-up. But even then I know guys who don't trust flip-ups, and will only wear racing-quality full face helmets. We each gotta make our own choices based on our own needs and priorities.

So wear whatever you want, but if you do go down, please don't crash into me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #28 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You know Thomas, every time I see your avatar all I can think is "Dumbass".

And if it comes to it, I do know some guys who could make that chainmail jacket for you . . .
I've always tried to choose an avatar that projects the way I think in real life. Red Foreman is my hero and the Price Mart episode that vid cap comes from (where he gets so angry while firing the really dumb guy that his voice distorts into devil speak) gets me laughing for hours.

As to the riding suit - I'm not the one who's going to drop over 4 bills on an armored jacket with no built in heat and massage feature so I don't think I'd spend the bucks for something better yet. Some of these other guys suiting up with 1000 threadcountwhateveritis might go for it though
post #29 of 43 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:43 am

It's Simple

After over forty years of riding, I have decided that the more motorcycle specific my clothing is, the less I ride. Got to weigh the hassles when going to work, the store, etc. Got to admit, when I go on an mc trip, I dress more appropriately than when I ride to the beach. When and if I do go down, I would not dream of crashing on anyone.
post #30 of 43 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:06 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....look like an overheated Wehrmacht soldier....
Wehrmacht soldier? Good one. Have to look that up! Ah yes: the armed forces of Nazi Germany. I think it was all the speed that has them overheated, however!
Quote:
....I have decided that the more motorcycle specific my clothing is, the less I ride....
Yeah, I wear my uniform pants when riding into work. But, if I eat shit, I'll regret being lazy!

post #31 of 43 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 9:06 am

Re: Olympia AirGlide 2: My first impression

Do you know of any company that discounts Olympia Airglide 2? Thanks much.
post #32 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:05 am

I use Olympia jacket and pants. I find the fit and finish, air flow and warmth of liner and ease of use to be conducive to full time use. The difference in quality between this and all other readily available gear in southeast Florida at the time of purchase was amazing. Alot of qualifiers in that sentence I know. The point being, I bought the best I could for my purpose/ knowlege/ pricepoint. I would not buy what I could not try on.

So, though I really like my suit, information from Ron will have a guiding effect when it is time to replace. This guy knows textiles. I do wonder if even the JR stuff helps raise awareness for the need for bike specific clothing.

Jim
post #33 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:55 am

Talking Good thread(s)

Good info and though provoking pros n' cons on riding gear.
Splitting hairs (threads) I wonder.

I have both a Aerostich Darien and an Olympia Airglide jacket.
I use the Olympia when the temps are 80+ and the going is slow. I find the Aerostich can be comfortable in higher temps but I have to keep moving. Advange Olympia.

So now after reading this thread I have more things to consider when choosing which jacket to wear. They both have good padding, but the Olympia maybe a little better, so if I am planning on a high-sider with a hard landing I'm gonna wear the Olympia. The "Stitch" has better abrasion resistance so if I'm gonna low-side and slide a bunch down the pavement I'm gonna wear the Stitch.

On the other hand, if it's really hot, I might get heat stroke wearing the Stitch and that would cause an accident, so if it's really hot, I'm gonna wear the Olympia whether I'm planning or a high-sider with a three bounce landing or a low-sider with a high speed slider.
But then.... if it's really hot, the Olympia is gonna melt even faster than it would otherwise during the slide, so maybe in that case I should wear the Stitch?

The information explosion provided by this board really makes choosing the right gear harder and harder.
post #34 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:24 am

Re: Good thread(s)

I hear ya, Charlie. And what's worse is buying all this gear and hardly ever getting to test it out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #35 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:48 am

Cool Re: Olympia AirGlide 2: My first impression

So, am I to assume there is some passion about this thread? For my 2 cents worth, I much appreciate Ron doing all the research that leaves me much better equipped to make an informed purchase, no matter what that is. In the end it's a personal decision for all of us, but the more info the better decision. Thanks to Ron and all the other posts.

Denny
post #36 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:07 pm

Re: Additional point

Interesting discussion, one point of disagreement with Ron. Denier is the measure of the density/thickness of the fiber. It does not have anything to do with the ability of the fabric to allow air flow. For example I have Motoport 1000D Cordura pants and the weave is somewhat loose which allows some airflow. Airflow is largely due to the tightness of the weave. I use the motoport kevlar air mesh for hot weather because it offers tremendous protection for a mesh jacket AND it is very tolerable to wear (as well as also being available in a light color). If its too uncomfortable to wear everything else doesn't matter.
post #37 of 43 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:00 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

FINALLY pulled the trigger!

Went to see Wayne at Motoport in beautiful San Marcos, Kalifornia, and got fitted for some mesh Kevlar gear. He has a very impressive operation. All the gear is custom made. This mesh Kevlar is supposed to be the best in hot weather. The zip in thermaloft liner is good down to 30 degrees (like my pussy ass will ever be testing that claim)!

For some strange reason, my wallet is STILL screamin', however!

post #38 of 43 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad

As far as protection goes, I had an encounter with a deer in the spring tat forced me off the road and into a ditch.
I DID NO SUCH THING! Wasn't there, nobody saw me, I got a perfect alibi....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #39 of 43 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:39 am

Here's my take on the gear issue:

If it's too heavy, too hot, or too expensive, I'm not going to wear it. I figure it's better to be wearing SOMETHING instead of nothing. If I were to be worried about how well my gear is going to fare in a slide that could potentially melt the fabric on my jacket into my (very expensively tattooed) skin, I guess I'd just leave the bike in the garage out of fear.

I ride in the summer with the TourMaster Aeroflow jacket. I'm sure (now, at least) that there are better jackets out there, protection-wise, but I know that if I'm riding in the summer, and sweating my arse off because I have on the latest Kevlar, super-heavy bulletproof jacket that will protect me from a head-on collision with a tractor trailer, I'm taking that puppy off and throwing it in the side bag, and riding sans shirt, like I used to. I'll take off my full-face helmet and go back to the skull cap with the fake DOT sticker on the back, too. Oh, and fingerless gloves and torn jeans (commando underneath to boot!)

Enjoy your Olympia AirGlide 2 jacket. If we get hit by a comet, we're all dead anyway.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #40 of 43 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 2:30 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Kevlar

Quote:
....Me, I'll pop for the $399.00 Motoport air mesh jacket, the $425.00 BMW airflow jacket, or the $577.00 Vanson pro perf leather....
I can highly recommend Motoport in San Marcos. Wayne did a great job of making a custom two piece Kevlar for me. Fit and finish is FLAWLESS!

Yeah, it's expensive, BUT the protection is second to none. Also, great airflow.

post #41 of 43 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Re: Kevlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
I can highly recommend Motoport in San Marcos.
Got an address? I live close enough that I'd like to see what he has to offer.

As for the rest, well any gear is better than no gear IMHO. The rest is just a matter of personal choice.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #42 of 43 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 3:50 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Re: Kevlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Got an address? I live close enough that I'd like to see what he has to offer.....
800 777 6499

Wayne Boyer
340 Rancheros Drive # 184
San Marcos, CA 92069
[email protected]

post #43 of 43 Old Mar 16th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Thanks, appreciate the help.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in