Biker Boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Talking Biker Boots

Any suggestions about what to look for in a good pair of motorcycle boots at a reasonable price?
I know that to take the ERC you need boots that cover your ankle. Not sure exactly what it means. Just something that comes up over your ankle bone? Or, does it have to be higher.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

My CruiserWorks Tours are 4 years old and have 44,000 miles on them. Resoled 4 times and still just as comfortable and dry as day one. They look pretty good too. I wear mine all day and....walk in them. Price is a personal thing. I'd buy again at $230.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #3 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Super Moderator

Well, how much are your feet and ankles worth? I wouldn't spend a dime more than that.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Smile

I have learned over the years that a lot of the products labeled as "motorcycle___" are not always the best, but they are usually the most expensive!

I have found that I much prefer the boots used by LEO's - waterproof, lightweight, over-the-ankle, leather/ballistic nylon. I have a pair of Bates boots that are fantastic but there are many brands out there that make basically the same thing - if you look around you can usually find them around $90 or so.

Similar to boots - I have found the best (mild to hot weather) gloves to be the mechanics gloves that you find in every hardwear store these days. They are durable, flexible, flow lots of air and if they were sold as "motorcycle gloves" in your local stealership they would cost 4 times as much!

Just my 2 cents worth

'whatever' Phil 4:8

Last edited by slingblade; Jul 30th, 2007 at 3:50 pm.
post #5 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 4:12 pm

For my money I have found redwing capped boots are by far the best bang for the buck. Have a pair of cruiserworks and they are fine, also a pair of sidi's also fine. But day in and day out the redwings do the job the best and without the "biker" premium

Dave
'06 R1200RT
post #6 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Don't skimp on good moto boots

Having worked in boots all my life, I tend to purchase moto boots from manufacturers that know how to build tuff, comfortable, waterproof, and high quality footwear.

All that said, there are lots of pretty boy boots out there to choose from...nice and soft...cushy...smooth and supple.... have you thrown-up yet?

My favorite style of boot is the engineer style. It's tall and tuff. The best one for the money I have found is a Red Wing model 988. Go to Redwingshoes.com and check them out for yourself. Then search the net for your best price. You should be able to score a pair for less than $100.

I prefer Vibram Lug soles under my feet. With them I don't slip or slide, no matter what I put my foot in and that means not accidentally dropping the bike cause of a foot sliding outward unexpectedly! I also believe in steel toes when I ride. Having had parts of toes and toe nails removed by asphalt in my past, I don't care to ever have that happen to my feet again...and it won't in these boots!

Good boots are critical to rider comfort and safety. Be careful about following the crowd.....Buy smart!
post #7 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Honda Motorcycle Boots

A member of this board suggested them several years ago on sale and I happened to get them for less than $50.00. They are probably the most comfortable I have ever owned and wish I could replace them with another pair. Manufacture must have discontinued them as a Google search turns up blank. They actually had a useless light built into the side too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=bblalock]My CruiserWorks Tours are 4 years old and have 44,000 miles on them. Resoled 4 times and still just as comfortable and dry as day one. They look pretty good too. I wear mine all day and....walk in them. Price is a personal thing. I'd buy again at $230.[/Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you got them?]

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #9 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=slingblade]I have learned over the years that a lot of the products labeled as "motorcycle___" are not always the best, but they are usually the most expensive!

I have found that I much prefer the boots used by LEO's - waterproof, lightweight, over-the-ankle, leather/ballistic nylon. I have a pair of Bates boots that are fantastic but there are many brands out there that make basically the same thing - if you look around you can usually find them around $90 or so.

Similar to boots - I have found the best (mild to hot weather) gloves to be the mechanics gloves that you find in every hardwear store these days. They are durable, flexible, flow lots of air and if they were sold as "motorcycle gloves" in your local stealership they would cost 4 times as much!

Just my 2 cents worth[/Good points, thanks.]

Greg

post #10 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone

One of the best things about this list is getting this kind of input on questions like this. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Greg

post #11 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 5:46 pm

The best pair I've ever had The Altberg Clubman Roadster Microlite. English boots, handmade, used by English moto cops. I love them! Suggested to me by one of our Scottish brethren and he wasn't wrong. Took awhile to get them, as they're a small company, but worth the wait. Came to about 350 bones American.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Boots

Scottish Brethern - you mean me?

Definetely boots from the Vimes school of economics. Called into the company late on a Saturday as my boots were showing some signs of wear - they are about 4 years old - some velcro patches were loose and the join at the heel was not to good (not major). Fixed free of charge just pay the postage and they were back to me within a week. Need a full overhaul - about 30 GBP. Altberg is an old fashioned company that stands behind their product and they will last a lifetime.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #13 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Scottish Brethern - you mean me?
Yeah, you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Altberg is an old fashioned company that stands behind their product and they will last a lifetime.
I believe, those are some kind of stout boots, but really all day long comfy. No barking dogs here. Oh, they look great, too. Especially when wearing a pair of shorts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Preferably one's that stay on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Any suggestions about what to look for in a good pair of motorcycle boots at a reasonable price?
I know that to take the ERC you need boots that cover your ankle. Not sure exactly what it means. Just something that comes up over your ankle bone? Or, does it have to be higher.
Check here http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ighlight=boots

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #15 of 39 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:44 pm

I've been very pleased with my Sidi "On Road" boots from New Enough. dwillie.
post #16 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:52 am

Garage
+1 for Redwing

Personally, I wear Red Wing 988s and swear by them. They're comfortable, easy-on/easy-off and they're built for battle.

Admittedly, they have 3 drawbacks:

1. They aren't cheap ($150-180).
2. They require a break-in period. (Two weeks of use?)
3. They, like all black oiled boots, stain your socks.

But they'll last you 10 or more years if you take care of them (SnoSeal or mink oil twice a year) and can easily be resoled by a cobbler if you wear out the Vibram sole.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #17 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:06 am

Do a google search for Xelement boots and you'll find tons. They are a good boot for riding and don't cost much.
I got a paor of these http://www.motodirect.com/Detail.bok?no=298 and they are very comfortable for riding and I've walked around in them all day without any complaints
post #18 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:23 am

My current boots are from Timberland. Black, tough, extra leather over the ankles, etc etc. The only problem is no shifter protection, but the leather is really thick and I can 'feel' the lever better than in a 'genuine motorcycle' boot.

$28 from their outlet store in Kittery, ME.

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #19 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:19 am

To answer one of the original queries, for an MSF class, BRC or ERC, you need a pair of some sort of boot, or even hi-top sneaker that covers the ankle bone. I teach in Hi-Tec Altitudes and wear them riding a lot. they are waterproof, comfortable all day on asphalt, and last me about a year per pair. Also run about $75 a pair and are good for more than riding motorcycle.

Recently I found this pair of riding boots, Nitro (Vega) Touring boots. Try this link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...115&Division=1

They are only $70 and are pretty comfy. I don;t think I'd be able to walk on the range in them all day, but nice for riding all day and then walking some. they don;t have quite the tactile feel of my Hi-tecs though, but I haven't worn them as much either to get them good and broke in.

Randy
post #20 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:47 am

I agree with Cruiserworks. Had mine 3 years and they are very comfortable, durable and good looking. I got mine on sale at a local Honda dealer.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #21 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:08 am

I have a pair of Rocky Boots

which I wear just about everyday, all day. My feet havent gotten wet in them yet and they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter (with the correct socks), Plus they dont look too bad with my Khaki's

I picked them up from a local Shoe Warehouse for about $100. It took a week or so of wearing to break them in, but once broke in they are as comfortable as my running shoes.

Just my 2 cents

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #22 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 8:53 am

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-28...ess-Boots.html

Best boots at a good price. Mine are over 3 years old, plenty miles, lots of rain & still good as new. They are 100% waterproof.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #23 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:36 am

I have a pair or Set Up brand (not sure of the model #) but I have a 13.5 B sized foot. Most boots are for a wide foot but I could fit my long skinny foot in the Set Up boots. They also have a good rubber sole and I preder not to have a big mud grip on the bottom so it will not track all the dirt in the house.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:09 am

For you guys who like the Redwing boots, try this style here: http://workingperson.com/products/22...Boots_970.html

This is a pretty serious boot, and has some really heavy lugging on the Vibram sole for great traction.

I like this boot here: http://workingperson.com/products/22...ots_27862.html

It has the velcroe closures on the sides, and the sole is not heavily lugged so it's a lot easier to get your toes under the shifter.

OH! AND they're made in AMERICA - BONUS!

HTH

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #25 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:54 pm

Thumbs up

I have been using Alpinestar touring boots for the past 3-4 years and I like them, with a re-inforced ankle area and arch support.
They start around $120.00. My current model is totally waterproof and cost around $170.00.
Some models are shorter, which can be a great thing in hot weather.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #26 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1

I like this boot here: http://workingperson.com/products/22...ots_27862.html

It has the velcroe closures on the sides, and the sole is not heavily lugged so it's a lot easier to get your toes under the shifter.

OH! AND they're made in AMERICA - BONUS!

HTH
I like those also Kevin! Unfortunatley they are backordered until November.
Hope they fit my wide foot and high instep.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #27 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 1:06 pm

The biggest problem with a pull on boot is they can pull off in a get off.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #28 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:09 pm

The best boot is the type that wont scuff the clam shell getting on or off the LT.

Other than that, I find that with my current boots, I have to lift the heel to slide the toe far enough under the shifter to get a positive shift. The LT footpegs are comfortable, but placed a bit far back. Maybe my next pair will have a flat sole ( but I do like to rest my foot with the ball just forward of the peg)....Size 11, so I dont think it is a foot size issue...anyone else wanna chime in ??

Great thread topic BTW

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #29 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Other than that, I find that with my current boots, I have to lift the heel to slide the toe far enough under the shifter to get a positive shift. The LT footpegs are comfortable, but placed a bit far back. Maybe my next pair will have a flat sole ( but I do like to rest my foot with the ball just forward of the peg)....Size 11, so I dont think it is a foot size issue...anyone else wanna chime in ??

Great thread topic BTW
I have that same issue with my Justin work boots. These Combat Lites look good, but no EE! That's my problem with most riding boots on the market.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #30 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The biggest problem with a pull on boot is they can pull off in a get off.
Kinda what I was getting at!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #31 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 2:49 pm

I've got over 60000 miles on these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...115&division=1 and they are holding up perfectly. Very sturdy boot and I can walk around in them pretty much as comfortably as any hiking boot. For $80/pair, they're about the best bang for the buck as I have found in gear.

2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Remus/Rhinewest Combo

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." (George Orwell, 1984)
post #32 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I have that same issue with my Justin work boots. These Combat Lites look good, but no EE! That's my problem with most riding boots on the market.
Bates boots come in widths

'whatever' Phil 4:8

post #33 of 39 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool78
I like those also Kevin! Unfortunatley they are backordered until November.
Hope they fit my wide foot and high instep.
HEY SMITTY! Long time no hear!
How's the light working for you?
Man we gotta get the guys out for another ride sometime, and NOT when it's cats and dogs!
By the way, I STILL haven't done the mod to my light yet, it's so bright I just keep putting it off. I saved your email though - thanks again!

Kevin

post #34 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:05 am

All's well brother. I got rear ended in my car back in Sept. and put a real hurt on my back. Haven't been able to ride very much, so I read your posts and live vicariously thru you!
When I do get out, I always get comments on how bright the HID low beam/FF50 combo is. I guess with the HID Hi/Low and PIAA's on your stead, your in no hurry to mount the FF50's.

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #35 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:19 am

Believe it or not, the boots that I have been wearing for sometime now go under the Harley name but made by Timberland I believe. They are comparable to Red Wing but can be had for significantly less money. The model is the brake lights. They go for around 80.00 a pair online.. Here is a link to find them from cowtown:

http://www.cowtownboots.com/catalog/91680.html ..

They break in very nice. They have two front zippers and they are just high enough to meet your specs. I have had them for over 2 years and worn the daylights out of them .... Almost time for a new pair.

Good Luck
post #36 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sofitel505]I've got over 60000 miles on these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...115&division=1 and they are holding up perfectly. Very sturdy boot and I can walk around in them pretty much as comfortably as any hiking boot. For $80/pair, they're about the best bang for the buck as I have found in gear.[/Thanks for the tip. The price is right. looks like they come in whole sizes. Do you know if it's better to get a half size larger or smaller than you normally get>]

Greg

post #37 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:22 pm

Also check LL Bean.

Doug
post #38 of 39 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool78
All's well brother. I got rear ended in my car back in Sept. and put a real hurt on my back. Haven't been able to ride very much, so I read your posts and live vicariously thru you!
Ah damn man, I didn't know you got hit, that sucks! I hope it's starting to get better before the whole season is over. If you are up this way sometime give a shout though, bike or not!

I still have my FF50's in my garage, I just haven't felt the need to mount them up along with the rest. I do need to get that highbeam where it belongs though... it's on my 2-do list.

Hope you get better fast!!

post #39 of 39 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I'd like to get away from the euro-look.

I'd like to get away from the euro-look.

Regarding the Red Wings and the other tough-looking examples found on this thread, aren't the thicker soles harder to negotiate between the shifter and the peg?
Do they offer any insulation for cold, opps, I mean very COLD riding?

Pros and cons about my Sidi boots:
Cons:
The only thing I don't like about my Sidi's is their sissy appearance, as I prefer the more masculine look the American boots have, but I can't ignore the positive attributes the euro-boots have.
Pros:
My Sidi's slip right under the shifter like a slipper due to the thinness in the toe's height. Mikhail Baryshnikov would love Sidi boots.
They also have some insulation properties, but I wouldn't know it at 10.
They are water proof, not just water resistance - big difference and a must have.

I'd like to know more about the shifting and insulation props of these Red Wings, etc?

OneShot
'06 OCEAN BLUE K1200 LT

'96 STATES-BLUE PEARL HARLEY SOFTAIL CUSTOM

God Bless America, Land that I love, Stand beside her, and guide her, Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam,
God bless America, my home, sweet, home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in