12K Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
FredR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Burlington, CT, USA
Posts: 236
12K Service

I have looked over the various threads concerning this subject but have a couple of questions.
I have an 06 and plan on doing the usual 12K service plus flushing the cooling system for the first time. I do have the Clymers 2005 LT manual.
Besides the needed filters, oils, crush washers and coolant what other incidentals should I have on hand, I don't want to be running back and forth to the dealer a bunch of times.
I have been told by my dealer that when flushing the radiator it can be a difficult process to purge the air out of the system. Any suggestions to overcome this or was he just being overly cautious in his response?
Thanks in advance.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
FredR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:56 am
Senior Member
 
ddavenport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Posts: 115
coolant info

I just did my 24K on my three year old 2005 and was going to let my dealer do the brake and hydraulic flush as per my maintenance manual. He told me and showed me their BMW shop service manual that the hydraulic fluids and coolant are now on an every 4 year change schedule. So you can wait a couple of years. Confirm this with your dealer if you want to verify.

You are also due for a valve check, so if you need new shims, you will have to pull your existing ones that are out of spec and trade them in at a dealer for the correct size.

DaveD
05 Anthracite LT
ddavenport is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:58 am
Senior Member
 
cfell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX, USA
Posts: 7,794
Fred, I ran my coolant to 24k and 3 years. Were you told to change yours or is this just early preventative measure?

You'll need a 14mm allen to remove the Gearbox drain plug. You can get one for a 3/8 ratchet at AutoZone or similar place. I bought a 14mm allen wrench at the industrial supply for $1.75, then cut the long shank into several sections and gave away to friends. I then carry a 14mm boxend wrench and use the two for the removal.

Be careful removing and reinstalling the engine oil filter cover...don't want to lose or strip one ... you'll have to remove the skid plate for easy access... really simple and you can clean it up nice...

You'll need an oil filter wrench that fits and doesn't have the "flared" opening ...that way it will fit into the filter opening.

When filling the rear drive, a baby bottle with the tip cut off the nipple is great for measuring and filling the rear drive.

Some folks use cardboard to deflect/direct oil from other parts such as tires... if you don't have that, use some aluminum foil... the oil will run off it well, you can form a trench to direct the oil and protect areas. The cardboard will usually get oil soaked and you may have trouble disposing of it...

I used the ABS replacement process for flushing and refilling... I just skipped the "remove the ABS Unit" parts.

Also, no reason to check valves until 24k... just pull and inspect the plugs...

...............
J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cfell is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
FredR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Burlington, CT, USA
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Fred, I ran my coolant to 24k and 3 years. Were you told to change yours or is this just early preventative measure?

You'll need a 14mm allen to remove the Gearbox drain plug. You can get one for a 3/8 ratchet at AutoZone or similar place. I bought a 14mm allen wrench at the industrial supply for $1.75, then cut the long shank into several sections and gave away to friends. I then carry a 14mm boxend wrench and use the two for the removal.

Be careful removing and reinstalling the engine oil filter cover...don't want to lose or strip one ... you'll have to remove the skid plate for easy access... really simple and you can clean it up nice...

You'll need an oil filter wrench that fits and doesn't have the "flared" opening ...that way it will fit into the filter opening.

When filling the rear drive, a baby bottle with the tip cut off the nipple is great for measuring and filling the rear drive.

Some folks use cardboard to deflect/direct oil from other parts such as tires... if you don't have that, use some aluminum foil... the oil will run off it well, you can form a trench to direct the oil and protect areas. The cardboard will usually get oil soaked and you may have trouble disposing of it...

I used the ABS replacement process for flushing and refilling... I just skipped the "remove the ABS Unit" parts.

Also, no reason to check valves until 24k... just pull and inspect the plugs...
Hmmm maybe I will forgo the coolant flush, I was just thinking while i have the gas tank off it might be a good time to do that too. I have done the oil change before at 6K but have not done the transmission so the hint on the 14mm allen helps but i believe i remember people talking about an O ring at the gas fill up and other little incidentals that i am not aware of that worry me. I am not going to touch the brakes the dealer can do that and the clutch flush until I can observe it and participate.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
FredR is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Senior Member
 
cfell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX, USA
Posts: 7,794
Or ride it to Munson's Garage.. I hear they do a Bless-n-Flush regularly.

Fred, once you see the systems serviced, the romance/mystery will be over.

There is an "o" ring on the QD (quick disconnects) that can get "nicked" during removal or install... that you can get at the dealer... in fact, buy several and just wiretie them together in your "tool" pouch.

When you pull the QD's apart.. make SURE you keep the "release tab" well pushed and pull them straight apart. There is a tendency to not keep them straight and that "sideways" pressure can crack them... and you'll notice it when fuel is leaking when you are on your long trip.

or, just upgrade to the metal QD's... then you only have the O ring concern.

I don't recall any other "special" circumstances, but there are lots of creative folks out there... =P

...............
J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cfell is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Senior Member
 
munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burkburnett, TX, USA
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
Hmmm maybe I will forgo the coolant flush, I was just thinking while i have the gas tank off it might be a good time to do that too. I have done the oil change before at 6K but have not done the transmission so the hint on the 14mm allen helps but i believe i remember people talking about an O ring at the gas fill up and other little incidentals that i am not aware of that worry me. I am not going to touch the brakes the dealer can do that and the clutch flush until I can observe it and participate.
The coolant change is easy. Just get a service manual and follow the procedure. The air will be purged and life will be grand. The same goes for the brakes and clutch. There is a good document in the file section. I think we will video tape the procedure for the next Munster Garage special. That's the ticket!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
munson is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:49 am
was
Senior Member
 
was's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Guilford, CT, USA
Posts: 805
Hey Fred, I need to do an engine, tranny, and final drive fluid change about now. Want to call it a tech session and get a few guys there? You will recall that I'm really good at complicating and screwing up routine maintenance tasks, which makes it all the more interesting . . .

As for the parts, I don't remember an O-ring near the gas filler. There is one on the underside of the oil filter cover, and usually it can be reused with no problem, especially on a young bike, but if you get the oil change kit with the crush washers it will contain an O-ring.

New fuel filter is not due until 24K (at least for my bike, not sure about yours), but if you are going to pull the gas tank to change the air filter it only takes about 10 minutes to swap out the fuel filter as well.

Checking valve clearance is a 12K item for my bike, not sure about yours. If you have the time, might as well do it. It is unlikely that you will need to change any buckets, but having the data about valve clearances at 12K will provide you with a baseline when you check at 24K and beyond.

I've got tools and etc. if you want to borrow them, and I'm always ready to come over and be unhelpful .

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
was is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
FredR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Burlington, CT, USA
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hey Fred, I need to do an engine, tranny, and final drive fluid change about now. Want to call it a tech session and get a few guys there? You will recall that I'm really good at complicating and screwing up routine maintenance tasks, which makes it all the more interesting . . .

As for the parts, I don't remember an O-ring near the gas filler. There is one on the underside of the oil filter cover, and usually it can be reused with no problem, especially on a young bike, but if you get the oil change kit with the crush washers it will contain an O-ring.

New fuel filter is not due until 24K (at least for my bike, not sure about yours), but if you are going to pull the gas tank to change the air filter it only takes about 10 minutes to swap out the fuel filter as well.

Checking valve clearance is a 12K item for my bike, not sure about yours. If you have the time, might as well do it. It is unlikely that you will need to change any buckets, but having the data about valve clearances at 12K will provide you with a baseline when you check at 24K and beyond.

I've got tools and etc. if you want to borrow them, and I'm always ready to come over and be unhelpful .
Hi Bill. I am not really at the 12K mark yet but in the 11K area and just trying to put it all together in my head so I will be ready. I guess I should look at the maintenance quide as I thought the fuel filter was a 12K item. I have an oil filter o ring that I have not used yet but what I think I was referring to was when putting the gas tank back on there is some sort of O ring or gromet around the fillup pipe that was sorta spokey.
You had better sharpen your dirt riding skills before you come my way, remember I have a 1100FT dirt drive that climbs through the woods. Loose dirt right now as I just graded it after the last couple of storms.
I may call a tech session next month but it is a little early for me. if you need a hand with your fluid change give me a shout.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
FredR is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 878
I purchased the 12/24k maintenance kit from Beemerboneyard. It includes all of the filters, plugs, gaskets, and o-rings you need-everything except for fluids. The Bosch filter is painted and that can be a concern for some people. You end up saving at least $30 and its delivered directly to your house. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astuber is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , ,
Posts: 68
Just an aside that is never mentioned on the coolant change.
Collect every drop of coolant that you drain and measure the amount before discarding properly. That way you know exactly how much has to go back in! No worrying about a large air pocket or if it will "burp" and need more.

Bruce C
'04 KRS
So. Cal.
brucecha is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 6:39 pm
was
Senior Member
 
was's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Guilford, CT, USA
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
I have an oil filter o ring that I have not used yet but what I think I was referring to was when putting the gas tank back on there is some sort of O ring or gromet around the fillup pipe that was sorta spokey.
Yeah, I think what you are referring to is the rubber tray around the top of the filler opening. It collects any gas that spills when you're filling up and lets it run down a drain hose. If one is not careful when reinstalling the stingray, the inner edge of the tray can be folded down and the door covering your gas cap will not prop open. DAMHIK. No new grommets or O-rings are needed there, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
I may call a tech session next month but it is a little early for me. if you need a hand with your fluid change give me a shout.
Thanks for the offer. I think I'll just go ahead with a fluid change this weekend; I'm interested to see what the fluids look like after my trip. If you call a tech session I'll try to get there as well.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
was is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL, USA
Posts: 1,215
Newbie needing help

Just picked up an 02' L1200lt, and it has only 1400 miles, but I want to flush everything. I can do oil and rear end. It is the trans and coolant that the owners man. does not tell you a thing about, and no I have no Clymers, etc. My last LT was an 87'. Any help/pics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
Steve
Oh, and the grips have split open, I don't know why, the owner bought non heated replacements,(the old still warm up) and I want the heated grips, but I wonder if there is a way to get the old ones off, and replace with after market.

Last edited by OU812; Oct 20th, 2007 at 9:04 pm.
OU812 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:56 am
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL, USA
Posts: 1,215
The grips:


OU812 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24,000 mile service, how much does it cost? motorroy K1200LT 16 Jul 24th, 2008 7:21 pm
12K Service (Assistance) Ekim Central East 24 May 14th, 2007 7:54 am
article by Scott Mckay, Sierra BMW Service rkirker Bike Talk 2 Jan 3rd, 2007 7:23 pm
Need Help Finding Kawasaki 1000 Specs S2DOG Chit Chat 4 Jan 18th, 2006 6:45 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome