TECH SESSION...What Would You Do Different? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:53 am Thread Starter

TECH SESSION...What Would You Do Different?

I have hosted a tech session (my first) and according to the feedback, it went OK. I want to host another one this fall, so I want to improve!

For those who have either hosted or attended a Tech Session: What would you do different to make a Tech Session even better?

(And I've already thought of flying in Dave Shealey if he'll do it Dave...the offer is there!)

Chime in guys and let me know!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:13 am

I've only been to one, this past weekend at Jonh Bowles', and I gotta say, I can't see much way to improve the setup he has. Okay, other than the lighting (sorry John). But even so, the way he had everything seemed to be first rate. Tools were organized, projects were organized and it all worked out well. I guess if you were doing more than two major projects, you might need a bit more "assembly line". we did two valve checks, mine and Joe Gottbergs, and those were in the garage, while others were right outside the garage. And a few more here and there.

That one went remarkably well. John was organized and had an area laid out for the body panels for Joe's & my bikes. Tools were organized, etc. He had enough stuff on hand to be able to do both and we parked the bikes so the valve checks were facing each other. Made tool sharing and observing very easy.

If you put another one together, I';d love to come be part of it, help if I can watch and learn as much as possible.

Randy
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:23 am

Thumbs up Nothing Magic

I went to your first one last fall Jack. It was actually held a week before I picked up my bike. Holding your first one 7 days later would have been an improvement (for me).

John's was very successful for a number of reasons. Great weather, Great People and Great knowledge. Mike was a walking encyclopedia, even with no sleep!! There was plenty of room and plenty of help.

The organization of the tech sessions has got to be the key. Having tools consumables and reference data is awesome.

I definitely want to go. I may try a slave cylinder swap out ahead of time or maybe try it later.

Count me in....

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:11 am

Smile

Jack, only difference between yours and Johns, was the grill cook who was excellent with the burgers and sausage, more lighting at your place and the availability of the extra lift. Considering that we really only did 2 valve checks and a brake bleed in the garage, the lifts were not really necessary. The flashlights that John had was more than adequate. All the other stuff was done outside which was great as the weather was perfect. I dont think either one of you could do any better as far as hosting another session. Well there could be bikini clad models fetching tools at the next one. You both held great Tech Sessions, I for one am looking foreward to the next one.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:00 am

The south Tejas bunch don't care what happens as long as there's food. Well, except the chick magnet. He chain smoked while I adjusted his valves. Part of that was my fault as I kept saying, "whoops!" and screaming while tossing valve buckets across the gearage. Another good one is to wander around aimlessly muttering that you don't know what's going on after firing up the oxy/acetylene.

I think dancing girls would make a tech session more successful. Like that bunch from Barnum and Baileys, you know, the poodles with the leetle skirts.

I think it basically boils down to the same concept as CCR: good folks having fun. The rest is just details.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The south Tejas bunch don't care what happens as long as there's food. Well, except the chick magnet. He chain smoked while I adjusted his valves. Part of that was my fault as I kept saying, "whoops!" and screaming while tossing valve buckets across the gearage. Another good one is to wander around aimlessly muttering that you don't know what's going on after firing up the oxy/acetylene.

I think dancing girls would make a tech session more successful. Like that bunch from Barnum and Baileys, you know, the poodles with the leetle skirts.

I think it basically boils down to the same concept as CCR: good folks having fun. The rest is just details.
Yup, and a pair of Dolly Parton Pies in the fridge is pretty good incentive too!! And on a lighter note - having quick access to a wireless laptop, or a PC, is a good thang. Lets ya tell folks who didn't show, how good them Dolly Parton's wuz!!
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:58 pm

PastorJack,
Form what I've read recently you could do ones that
specialize in rear end replacement. Glad to see your up and running again.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I have hosted a tech session (my first) and according to the feedback, it went OK. I want to host another one this fall, so I want to improve!

For those who have either hosted or attended a Tech Session: What would you do different to make a Tech Session even better?

(And I've already thought of flying in Dave Shealey if he'll do it Dave...the offer is there!)

Chime in guys and let me know!
Hey Jack, can't say hijack!

Your winter session was perfect. It was a very focused session and the goals were accomplished. I was amazed at the turnout for the 15F temps. During nicer weather we'd spread out more on the drive for the non-fluid chores. Also, people commented that we needed name tags this weekend. You even had those. I thought about it but decided to make people introduce themselves and ask of others.

I don't think you need to worry about improvement, as long as Mike is there he'll find someone's brakes to bleed.

Wait I know, have some of those Texans over this December and have them bring some of that Q to warm us up

Oh, and we need to learn how to do the '05 and newer brake bleeds.

Also, I thought you were in Florida - back already?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:27 pm

Actually, Jack, you hosted one and a half, because you invited me back for the slave cylinder/weep hole project after the big Winter bash. I thought both were great. Having the lift is great, there were plenty of tools and consumables and lots of folks willing to lend a hand and advice.

The only other tech sessions I have attended are the ones at Spring Training Camp. There we had an extra large garage but we did pretty well in your garage.

I had no complaints.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 7:25 am

they are like woman

Tech sessions are like women, all different, all good! Only been to one, at Dave Dragon's and learned all that I know about this bike from it. That and this board..... My guess it that all are good, some just better.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in