Wtf???!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Wtf???!!!

This morning as I toodled down the access road to get on the highway the V1 went off. A Deputy Sheriff was hiding by the entrance ramp. Since this is the north end of New Braunfels I assumed he was shooting the highway for those blasting thru town on the expressway.

Anyway, I hit the entrance ramp, drop two gears to first and nail it. The entrance ramp enters the highway in it's own lane and all was clear of traffic. Needless to say, and seeings how the entrance ramp is about 1/4 mile long, I was doing 75mph long before I even hit the highway.

About a mile down the road I see the Deputy lit up and coming fast, he pulls along side me and violently motions me to pull over. Usually I'll exit the highway before pulling over, and did so this time. He was behind me by then with his siren going. I find a safe place and stop. He storms up to me, I smile at him and ask permission to get my wallet and inform him I have a CCL and where my pistol is, while keeping both hands on the bars. He was surprised the bike was a BMW and that I was so old, I was surprised that he was barely shaving.

He runs me, comes back and asks me if I know why I was pulled over. I really didn't know. Excessive demonstration of speed on the entrance ramp. I asked him what the speed limit on the entrance ramp is. He really thinks this one over and tells me that I should enter the entrance ramp at the access road's posted speed, which I did, and then gradually build up speed to merge with highway traffic.

I reckon my sunny disposition and smiley face calmed him down and he let me go with a verbal warning.

I really didn't have time for this game this morning and as I hit the entrance ramp to the highway I dropped two gears to first and nailed it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Around here you would think there's a stop sign at the end of most on-ramps.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #3 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Well Good mornin to you to Grif hell ofa way to start da day.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Nothing better than a clear on ramp, but as stated by our Orlando breatheren, they are few and far between.

75MPH after 1/4 mile ???

C'mon Griff, you should have been (and most likely) in the double ott range on the speedo...

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Bouncer

He stopped you because you're just too sexy.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Only one thing doesn't make sense

Good post, nice story which all makes sense to me except for one thing:

"He was surprised the bike was a BMW and that I was so old."

Clearly that deputy lacked experience and had questionable judgement. Grif ain't old.
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Excessive demonstration of speed on the entrance ramp.
Griff knows: chicks dig speed!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Good post, nice story which all makes sense to me except for one thing:

"He was surprised the bike was a BMW and that I was so old."

Clearly that deputy lacked experience and had questionable judgement. Grif ain't old.
I think he thought he had a squiddly on a crotch rocket. You're right Charlie, we aren't old. The two of us can do more work than four twenty year olds. The XBox generation is purdy soft.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I think he thought he had a squiddly on a crotch rocket. You're right Charlie, we aren't old. The two of us can do more work than four twenty year olds. The XBox generation is purdy soft.
I think the others (they know who they are...) will agree with me: a combination of having been there/done that (chasing after folks) and on the receiving end more than a few times, I know they are suprised to find an 'old' guy (anyone over 20) on a fast bike. The BMW, the age factor and the ATGATT will get you out of a lot of close ones. Now, double the limit and you are on your own....

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 1:29 pm

I think the cop was shocked that someone actually used the ramp to build up speed instead of stopping on it. Poor guy didn't know how to handle it when someone did it the right way.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:11 pm
Gold Supporter

You're just lucky it wasn't me. I would have introduced you to a word those of us in the Texas LEO profession just loved to write at the bottom of a ticket: INSTANTOR!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
You're just lucky it wasn't me. I would have introduced you to a word those of us in the Texas LEO profession just loved to write at the bottom of a ticket: INSTANTOR!!!

The only legal-eze that I'm aware of is the word instanter, meaning "now".
Just wondering if that's what you mean or does it have an "inside" meaning?
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Now you've gone and made me cry.

Seriously, is my leetle habit of romping up on ramps illegal?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:43 pm

Wtf

"I smile at him and ask permission to get my wallet and inform him I have a CCL and where my pistol is, while keeping both hands on the bars."

I have often wondered about declaring the CCL thing but since I have not been stopped since I have had a CCL it hasn't come up. My thoughts are that it is too much information unless the LEO asks if you are packing. My concealed carry instructor suggested that it was a judgement call but has had both positive and negative responses after informing the LEO. A "Barney Fife" made way too big of deal out of it while the "Andy" took it in stride.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #15 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002redrider
"I smile at him and ask permission to get my wallet and inform him I have a CCL and where my pistol is, while keeping both hands on the bars."

I have often wondered about declaring the CCL thing but since I have not been stopped since I have had a CCL it hasn't come up. My thoughts are that it is too much information unless the LEO asks if you are packing. My concealed carry instructor suggested that it was a judgement call but has had both positive and negative responses after informing the LEO. A "Barney Fife" made way too big of deal out of it while the "Andy" took it in stride.
I always declare. If they run you and find out you have it thangs could get sticky.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Wtf

In CO the CCL is not connected with your drivers license in any way. Missouri, for example the CCL is noted on the drivers license. Is yours the same as MO?

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #17 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
In CO the CCL is not connected with your drivers license in any way. Missouri, for example the CCL is noted on the drivers license. Is yours the same as MO?
It is issued by the Department of Public Safety, DPS, not noted on the actual DL, but it comes up when a LEO runs you, so you'd best tell them.

I was sitting in a Sheriff's car, one cold and wet morning after a get off, had given him my paperwork and CCL (we were sitting in his car because it was cold and wet, my bike was crashed and I was waiting for my wife). Anyway, the dispatcher comes back saying I was clean. A moment later she comes back and informs him I had a CCL. Also, a DWI I had gotten 20 years ago. Them dayem thangs never go away.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:08 pm
Gold Supporter

Jerry,

In a way I guess it could mean "Now" as it really means "Go directly to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200." Or in other words Appear NOW!!! If we thought someone was a flight risk, or they refused to sign a ticket we would write it at the bottom of the ticket, just before we cuffed and stuffed them.

In Texas, by law, you MUST surrender your CHL when asked for ID from a LEO. I always do exactly what Grif did when I am having one of THOSE chats.

Oh and Grif, if that made you cry...I can't wait till the Key Chain Self Defense Class

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #19 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Cool

I was stopped one day for "drag racing a semi up the on ramp". One of thos two lanes merge into one before merging with the freeway. Semi is on the outside lane doing about 15 and I pass on the inside lane at about 60. I was driving a 66 Dodge Charger at the time and I think the cop just wanted to see my car.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #20 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Jerry,

In a way I guess it could mean "Now" as it really means "Go directly to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200." Or in other words Appear NOW!!! If we thought someone was a flight risk, or they refused to sign a ticket we would write it at the bottom of the ticket, just before we cuffed and stuffed them.

In Texas, by law, you MUST surrender your CHL when asked for ID from a LEO. I always do exactly what Grif did when I am having one of THOSE chats.

Oh and Grif, if that made you cry...I can't wait till the Key Chain Self Defense Class
Ahhhh, got it, Jer. I hope someone couldn't get out of that predicament due to a misspelling.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:18 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Ahhhh, got it, Jer. I hope someone couldn't get out of that predicament due to a misspelling.
Ahhh....I had to go back and look. Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzz!!! All that education and I still can't spell......check.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #22 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Smile

Quote:

In Texas you better declare it immediately it is the law, my CHL instructor kept on that. You'll have Barney looking for his bullet.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:30 pm

My dearest Bo,

As a veteran of thousands of car stops in the most dangerous of situations, I resemble your Barney comment. There ain't no purple dinosaurs out there writing tickets. I been shot at, stabbed, run over, cut off, cussed at, spit on and other things that I can't even remember.

Here I am retired after 31 years service ready to pick up my new Grady White boat and do some fishin' in South Carolina. You bozos keep ridin' and drivin' like ya got donkey poop for brains. The only wanring I would give any of ya is "Sign the ticket or get an alumimum shampoo!" (refering to the 6 cell Kell light!)

Hey, just kiddin'!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:36 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
In Texas you better declare it immediately it is the law, my CHL instructor kept on that. You'll have Barney looking for his bullet.
As a CHL holder, the only time you are required to declare is when you are carrying. Smart money would have you declare whether you are carrying or not, since the officer will most definitely see that you are a CHL holder on his in-car computer display and all those pesky questions will come up next.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
I been shot at, stabbed, run over, cut off, cussed at, spit on and other things that I can't even remember.
Man, I've had first dates like that!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Jerry,

really means "Go directly to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200." Or in other words Appear NOW!!! If we thought someone was a flight risk, or they refused to sign a ticket we would write it at the bottom of the ticket, just before we cuffed and stuffed them.
I used to just love it when they said "You cant arrest me.." and "You cant tow my (insert vehicle of choice.)" NEVER issue a challenge like that to a LEO!

And I think I prefer Griff's approach: let them know ahead a time. Not a good thing if the LEO should catch a glimpse of the weapon without prior knowledge.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Wtf

To declare or not to declare...that is the question. It is a state by state thing as to the specifics of the law. One of the responsibilities of Concealed Carry is to know what applies, where. If I am ever in Tejas and packing, I will take your valuable advice.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in