2008 HD's - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:18 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hardin, Ky, USA
Posts: 160
2008 HD's

Check out the HD website.The 08's are looking much better.All touring models now come with Brembos,with abs as an option.Buell has a new 1125cc water cooled motor from Rotax,not a sport bike fan,but this looks like an awesome machine.Still love my 07 Roadglide,but wish I had the Brembo's.
CaptRich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 5:20 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana,
Posts: 727
If they get antilock and some other things I want, who knows? An Utlra might just be my next bike. At least there is dealer support with HD's.
jrlakin is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 5:50 pm
Senior Member
 
motorman587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: , FL, USA
Posts: 2,910
They do offer antilock.

As an opition. My hats down to Harley. Great job.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
motorman587 is offline  
 
post #4 of 46 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:57 am
Senior Member
 
atrovarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bluefield, VA, USA
Posts: 628
Hmmm. Looks like every other HD. I clicked on the specs page and when I clicked on the engine, they were kind enough to point out the "Black powder coated engine with chrome covers" ....nice spec.
Unreal.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atrovarious is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 9:53 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 9
If Harley Davidson Made Aeroplanes Would You Fly???????
Patj is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:02 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melbourne, FL, USA
Posts: 564
Just returned from the Harley Summer Dealer Meeting in Nashville (was a guest of my German Harley dealer friend) and got to see the release of the new models. The new Buell does look very interesting and the new Harley Rocker is really neat. Yes, Brembo brakes and an optional real ABS system - not a cobbed over car version. Made a big deal of a new drive isolation system for the powertrain (rubber components in between the drive sprocket and rear wheel). Seems my Honda bikes from the 60's had the same type of system.

Anyway, lots of interesting new bikes, 105th anniversary models, huge event for the opening of the Harley museum in '08 and lots of other stuff.

All in all, a very impressive event. Had to be 5 - 8 thousand people there. The meeting was held at the Gaylord Opryland resort and for the opening reception, they rented the Grand Ol' Opry with entertainers.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
alindsay is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hardin, Ky, USA
Posts: 160
HD show

Alex,I would love to have been there,all the mgrs and owners went.I agree with you on that new drive pulley,really old technology,the new brakes look really promising,also like the new 6 gal. fuel tank and the throttle is now electronic on all touring bikes,no more throttle cables.
CaptRich is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:01 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana,
Posts: 727
With regards to the question about if Harley made an Airplane, would I fly? The answer it Yes. My Harley's have been very good bikes and have never left me stranded! I can't say that about my LT! And, the new bikes are ever better. Also, with respect to the comment about the spec on the web site that refer to the black powder coated engine, if you click on the link, it will download the entire specs for the model. I am not writing this to sing the praises of Harleys necessarily, but I do get a little tired of some of the sniping and Harley bashing. I loved my Harleys, and they were good bikes. I just like my LT better. I may go back someday, who knows.
jrlakin is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:57 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
With regards to the question about if Harley made an Airplane, would I fly? The answer it Yes. My Harley's have been very good bikes and have never left me stranded! I can't say that about my LT! And, the new bikes are ever better. Also, with respect to the comment about the spec on the web site that refer to the black powder coated engine, if you click on the link, it will download the entire specs for the model. I am not writing this to sing the praises of Harleys necessarily, but I do get a little tired of some of the sniping and Harley bashing. I loved my Harleys, and they were good bikes. I just like my LT better. I may go back someday, who knows.
I don't think the word bashing (Harley) is the right word. It would seem a little more like statements of disbelief or disappointment that a company that large and profitable still cannot come up with a bike or model that is even remotely close in features and improvements to what the LT was when it came out in '98. ABS as an option. That is great, but it should be standard equipment. I think Harley is very much a victim of it's own success - ie: they have sold the idea (lifestyle) that you are a nothing unless you own a 60's technology bike in yearly updated colors - so that is about all it can sell.

When the Ultra Classic (or it's successor) comes out with standard ABS, V Rod engine, a fuel range of at least 250 miles, electric windshield, hydraulic clutch ............, I will seriously look at one. Don't think it will happen in my lifetime however.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:06 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 339
....they still sound like an out of tune Briggs&Stratton, and are almost as efficient.

Put some chrome and some fancy paint on a Yugo, you still have a Yugo....

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
K1200LTryder is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:14 pm
Senior Member
 
tkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
....they still sound like an out of tune Briggs&Stratton, and are almost as efficient.

Put some chrome and some fancy paint on a Yugo, you still have a Yugo....
Oh, but Briggs&Stratton never tried to patent/copyright that sound!

I'd have to agree. I've always thought HDs sounded like crap. A flatulent but constipated bear grunting one out in a port-a-potty.

Now a Ducati, Guzzi or any other 90° twin? ... Yeah baby!

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
tkramer is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:24 pm
Ted
Senior Member
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Oxnard, CA, USA
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I think Harley is very much a victim of it's own success - ie: they have sold the idea (lifestyle) that you are a nothing unless you own a 60's technology bike in yearly updated colors - so that is about all it can sell.
Bingo!

ps - "Bingo!" was intended to be a 1 word answer, but forum software says answer is too short - so this sentence should allow my response to comply w/ forum post length guidelines....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ted is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 2:46 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntley, IL,
Posts: 219
Fat Bob

Hey HD's are what they are and I love em for it. For me the Fat Bob(new in the dyna line) is making me drool. I am now re-doing the household budget to find room for payments on a 15k loan. The LT is paid for so the wife cant say boo(yea right). Remeber not all technology is good, remeber the servo pump linked brakes on BMW's theres a reason their gone. BTW I read somewhere that HD has a new heat mangementsystem wherin the rear cylinder is turned off during stop and go traffic. Anyone else hear about this?

Tom
ahpd1992 is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 3:08 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: statesville , n.c., usa
Posts: 257
Thumbs up harley bashing

I do get a little tired of some of the sniping and Harley bashing. I loved my Harleys, and they were good bikes. I just like my LT better. I may go back someday, who knows.[/QUOTE]

I used to bash harleys all the time. haven't done it lately, hell its no challenge anymore. there so easy, its like shooting fish in a barrel.
danbrown is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 3:57 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRich
Check out the HD website.The 08's are looking much better.All touring models now come with Brembos,with abs as an option.Buell has a new 1125cc water cooled motor from Rotax,not a sport bike fan,but this looks like an awesome machine.Still love my 07 Roadglide,but wish I had the Brembo's.
The Night Rod Special is a beautiful bike.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana,
Posts: 727
"I don't think the word bashing (Harley) is the right word. It would seem a little more like statements of disbelief or disappointment that a company that large and profitable still cannot come up with a bike or model that is even remotely close in features and improvements to what the LT was when it came out in '98. ABS as an option. That is great, but it should be standard equipment. I think Harley is very much a victim of it's own success - ie: they have sold the idea (lifestyle) that you are a nothing unless you own a 60's technology bike in yearly updated colors - so that is about all it can sell. "


I do agree for the most part with you. But I have some disbelief or disappointment that A company like BMW can't come up with a rear drive that doesn't consistantly fail, clutches that fail, and ABS units that fail. It does no good to have ABS brakes if they don't work! And that doesn't even touch on how much they take a dive on resale. AGAIN, I am not singing the praises of Harley. They have their faults, but so does BMW. I love the LT, not so sure I love the company!
jrlakin is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 6:16 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
....But I have some disbelief or disappointment that A company like BMW can't come up with a rear drive that doesn't consistantly fail, clutches that fail, and ABS units that fail. It does no good to have ABS brakes if they don't work!....
One thing I can say about the H-D's: you can get them fixed anywhere! My nearest BMW dealer is 65 miles away. I have TWO H-D dealers within 20 miles of me--plus two (?) more independents. If ANYONE works on BMW's in my neck of the ghetto, I haven't found them.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hardin, Ky, USA
Posts: 160
Hd

I think what some of you are missing is that HD can build anything they want,but they know what their customers want and build it.Being a salesman at an HD shop,I see it every day.Lest you think I'm HD brainwashed,I've owned close to 40 bikes over 38 years,only 3 HD's,6 BMW's,3 Guzzi's a couple british and many Japanese.I really like the way my new Roadglide fits.I could never get comfy on my 05 LT and boy did I take a hit whrn I sold it.Most of the riders in this part of Ky RIDE,not too many trailer queens round here,and they are hard core traditionalists.I think we only sold 3 or 4 Vrods this year,I happen to think thet are a great bike ,but most of our customers don't.I get a lot of strnge looks when I suggest that better rider skills might save more lives than loud pipes,oh well, gotta be carefull there.I run stock pipes on my 07,at 56 I've lost enough hearing already.Sure am happy to see the Brembo's on the new FL's,as well as the optional ABS,lots of folks don't want it.
CaptRich is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:50 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 9
Ok,as A Previous Poster Said Hd Are Victims Of Selling A Lifestyle To People Who Feel The Need To Dress A Certain Way To Pass As A
Biker.
This Is Not Why I Ride And As The Old Saying Says If I Have To Explain Youll Never Understand. The Outlaw Thing Alla Hd Is So Sterotypical Bad Boy Imagery(didnt They Have A Model Called The Bad Boy) Outdated Technology,loud Pipesand Basically Crappy Looking Motorcycles Oh And Made In America,needi Say More.
Patj is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:17 am
Senior Member
 
Briantime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Elmhurst, IL, USA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
Oh And Made In America,needi Say More.

As are Goldwings...do you have a problem with products made in America?
Briantime is offline  
post #21 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:45 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 9
no just america
Patj is offline  
post #22 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:51 am
Senior Member
 
Briantime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Elmhurst, IL, USA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
no just america
I think that says more about you than it does America.

I'm am now putting you in my "ignoramus file".
Briantime is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:08 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 9
Put Me In Any File You Like. But Remember Inthe Land Of The Free And Home Of The Brave There Not Doing To Many Miles In Iraq
Patj is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:20 am
Senior Member
 
KMC1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC, UT, United States Of America
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
Put Me In Any File You Like. But Remember Inthe Land Of The Free And Home Of The Brave There Not Doing To Many Miles In Iraq
Pat you are kidding right?
Do you have any understanding of the shared history between Ireland and the U.S. ? If you do, and you still feel the same way, you're misguided to say the least. If it weren't for the U.S. Ireland as an independent country would have continued to cease to exist before 1900, and you'd be British now.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; Jul 12th, 2007 at 11:05 am. Reason: Added "continued to" - typo on the tense
KMC1 is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:38 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, , Ireland
Posts: 9
Fyi Wegained Our Independence In 1922 After 700 Years Of Britsh Occupation. As For Shared History A Lot Of Irish Went To The States As Did Italians, Poles Etc Etc. From My View There Is One Imperialst State Left In The World,and If Not How Do You Explain
The Unlawful Invaison Of Iraq.and Now Bush Is Looking For A Way To Get Your Troops Home And Leave Iraq In A State Of Civil War.
Get Real.
Patj is offline  
post #26 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:57 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
I do agree for the most part with you. But I have some disbelief or disappointment that A company like BMW can't come up with a rear drive that doesn't consistently fail, clutches that fail, and ABS units that fail. It does no good to have ABS brakes if they don't work! And that doesn't even touch on how much they take a dive on resale. AGAIN, I am not singing the praises of Harley. They have their faults, but so does BMW. I love the LT, not so sure I love the company![/QUOTE]

Understand completely. I don't have anything at all against H-D the company as they are in business to make money - they just happen to do it by building motorcycles and selling clothing. If they could make more money (consistently) building and selling something else, that's what their stockholders would demand they do. I cannot, however, get the least bit enthused by their product line, but that is just me.

As to BMW not standing behind it's products when there is an obvious design or manufacturing problem - that is beyond me. When someone dies from a rear end failure - I hope BMW gets sued big time - AND the management staff at the NHSA gets the boot for not stepping in before it happened - they certainly have been warned.

Perhaps this could put this on the list of things to fix after the coming mass upheaval that seems to heading our way.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
post #27 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:54 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana,
Posts: 727
Perhaps I have missed something here. What Motorcycles are manufactured in Ireland????
jrlakin is offline  
post #28 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:06 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Perhaps I have missed something here. What Motorcycles are manufactured in Ireland????

I'm not sure what kind they make, but they must have the ability to herd sheep and drive themselves.....that Irish Whiskey yanno..


You know why seagulls fly upside down over Ireland ???






...Cause there aint nothing worth shitting on...

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
K1200LTryder is offline  
post #29 of 46 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Florian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Coast, OH , USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Perhaps I have missed something here. What Motorcycles are manufactured in Ireland????

Harley exhausts are....how else do you explain "potato, potato, potato....."


Mr. Ten Posts is pissed cause Irish women are easy, and the guys have small dicks and are as dumb as a bag of hammers.....he's just upset, thats all. This too shall pass.



F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
Florian is offline  
post #30 of 46 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:23 pm
Senior Member
 
bruce2000ltc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
Fyi Wegained Our Independence In 1922 After 700 Years Of Britsh Occupation. As For Shared History A Lot Of Irish Went To The States As Did Italians, Poles Etc Etc. From My View There Is One Imperialst State Left In The World,and If Not How Do You Explain
The Unlawful Invaison Of Iraq.and Now Bush Is Looking For A Way To Get Your Troops Home And Leave Iraq In A State Of Civil War.
Get Real.
Interesting that you’re from Ireland…..

Until the last few years, and for most of my adult life, the word Terrorist was synonymous with Ireland because of the cowardly, murderous IRA. I didn’t think then, nor do I now, that anyone who was Irish was a terrorist.

To state that anything American is bad just shows you are blinded by your hatred for a war you don’t like. My country has made some mistakes in its short history but no educated citizen of the world can fault its compassion for mankind. I could list all of the good that America has done and continues to do – but I don’t have to – you already know. You know because America rescued Europe twice, and rebuilt it the second time. Doesn’t really fit the definition of imperialism now does it?

Bruce Hodges
bruce2000ltc is offline  
post #31 of 46 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Senior Member
 
hschisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rushville, OH, USA
Posts: 7,755
What was it we were talking about?

Oh yeah -- 2008 HDs.

I've never owned or ridden a HD, but there are several models I'd like to take out for a day. I've sat on a few, most recently the Ultra Classic. Many nice features, relaxed ergonomics, and the seats (front and back) feel very comfy -- at least on the showroom floor. It feels much, much larger than a Gold Wing or LT to me, from the rider's seat.

Maybe I need to find an Ultra Classic owner and swap bikes for a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	13115  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hschisler is offline  
post #32 of 46 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 2:38 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
....Mr. Ten Posts is pissed cause Irish women are easy....F
F, you say that as if it's a bad thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
FYI, we gained our independence in 1922 after 700 years of Britsh occupation. As for shared history a lot of Irish went to the states as did Italians, Poles, etc, etc. From my view there is one imperialst state left in the world, and if not how do you explain the unlawful invasion of Iraq. Now Bush ss looking for a way to get your troops home and leave Iraq in a state of civil war. Get real.
Pat, let's get our facts straight, however: Bush has the balls to complete a LAWFUL and JUST action that should have been completed when his father was president. I'm glad someone has the big shiny brass ones and FINALLY stepped up! Bush is the one that wants to stay--not cut and run. Why do we need to leave? Why should we leave? How many years have we been in South Korea?

I would not disagree with your characterization of America as imperialist. However that is a good thing, not a bad thing. I believe in pursuing criminals and terrorists to ALL ends of the globe--and killing them.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #33 of 46 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 5:22 am
Senior Member
 
motorman587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: , FL, USA
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Oh yeah -- 2008 HDs.

I've never owned or ridden a HD, but there are several models I'd like to take out for a day. I've sat on a few, most recently the Ultra Classic. Many nice features, relaxed ergonomics, and the seats (front and back) feel very comfy -- at least on the showroom floor. It feels much, much larger than a Gold Wing or LT to me, from the rider's seat.

Maybe I need to find an Ultra Classic owner and swap bikes for a day.

My father in law owns one. Two things that he does not like about the Ultra. Heat from the last cylinder and a whine in 5th gear. Pops, says there is aftermarket fix for about $1000 for the 5th gear whine.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
motorman587 is offline  
post #34 of 46 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 8:25 am
Senior Member
 
gunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kings Mountain, NC, USA
Posts: 3,089
A few years ago I had a real bad summer, spent most of it in and out of the hospital with diverticulitis and related complications. Mid August started to feel a whole lot better and in conversation with the wife, mentioned that life was too short and we needed to start doing more things together. She thought that was great and I mentioned getting a boat as we live near some good water. She vetoed that real quick, I then mentioned a motorcycle, she said OK and went right back to why we weren't getting a boat.
As I now had the green light to get a motorcycle from the holder of the purse string, I ran over to the 'puter to do my homework and see what I was going to get. First stop was HD's official site. Click on build/spec/price your dream machine. OK, here we go. Built one, Electra Glide with some of the nice things, no radio, no cruise, (ain't never had that stuff on a bike before) cast wheels, carburated, suggested retail $16,522, plus tax, tag, title, the usual. Though that wasn't too bad so called the local HD dealer to se what they had and what we could work out on the phone. Nope, that model isn't in stock, we can order it for you, will be about 6 months, 10% non refundable payment of $2,500. Wait a minute, how much for the bike? $23,000 plus tax, title, etc. Talked for a little to be sure we were talking about the same machine here, we were. Asked why the huge difference in the price as I had just gotten a much different price right off of HD's site. She said that's what they were asking for their machines and that's what they were getting for them.
Hung up the phone, climbed in the truck, drove to the BMW dealer with the intentions of fondling a RT1150. Came home with my LT. That LT cost me far less than a HD comparably equipped and I think is a far better machine for the money.
Have owned 2 Harleys in my younger days, a FLH and a XLH so know what they are and what they are about. Will not buy one from a dealer, ever again. They can build whatever they want, paint it any color and chrome it all, add whatever farkles they want, even a fish finder but will not get one from a stealer, I mean dealer. Guess things have a way of turning out the way they are meant to.

B D R
gunny is offline  
post #35 of 46 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:39 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
You know because America rescued Europe twice, and rebuilt it the second time. Doesn’t really fit the definition of imperialism now does it?

Bruce Hodges
Now, don't cloud the argument with facts, its far more fun to make it up as you go along.
Morley is offline  
post #36 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 7:50 am
Senior Member
 
johnk12lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Staten Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj
If Harley Davidson Made Aeroplanes Would You Fly???????

Yes! contrary to popular belief, they don't pi$$ oil or shed parts anymore. Haven't done that in years. The Electra Glide and Road kings cannot be compated with the LT or RT. they do the same thing (touring) but do it differently. I just got back from my vacation, all 1,966 miles, NY to Pigeon Forge, Tn and back. I burnt no oil, shed no parts, lost no teeth. The bike was new, just had 1000 checkup after purchase. Yes, the new ones (96") run HOT when stuck in traffic, due to EPA emissions. That is prolly the only problem I have encountered and there is a fix, which I will address shortly.

So, based on the above experience and that of a majority of other owners, I WOULD and COULD (am a licensed pilot) DEFINETLY FLY A PLANE BUILT BY THE MOCO without hesitation.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
johnk12lt is offline  
post #37 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:04 am
Senior Member
 
johnk12lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Staten Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
A few years ago I had a real bad summer, spent most of it in and out of the hospital with diverticulitis and related complications. Mid August started to feel a whole lot better and in conversation with the wife, mentioned that life was too short and we needed to start doing more things together. She thought that was great and I mentioned getting a boat as we live near some good water. She vetoed that real quick, I then mentioned a motorcycle, she said OK and went right back to why we weren't getting a boat.
As I now had the green light to get a motorcycle from the holder of the purse string, I ran over to the 'puter to do my homework and see what I was going to get. First stop was HD's official site. Click on build/spec/price your dream machine. OK, here we go. Built one, Electra Glide with some of the nice things, no radio, no cruise, (ain't never had that stuff on a bike before) cast wheels, carburated, suggested retail $16,522, plus tax, tag, title, the usual. Though that wasn't too bad so called the local HD dealer to se what they had and what we could work out on the phone. Nope, that model isn't in stock, we can order it for you, will be about 6 months, 10% non refundable payment of $2,500. Wait a minute, how much for the bike? $23,000 plus tax, title, etc. Talked for a little to be sure we were talking about the same machine here, we were. Asked why the huge difference in the price as I had just gotten a much different price right off of HD's site. She said that's what they were asking for their machines and that's what they were getting for them.
Hung up the phone, climbed in the truck, drove to the BMW dealer with the intentions of fondling a RT1150. Came home with my LT. That LT cost me far less than a HD comparably equipped and I think is a far better machine for the money.
Have owned 2 Harleys in my younger days, a FLH and a XLH so know what they are and what they are about. Will not buy one from a dealer, ever again. They can build whatever they want, paint it any color and chrome it all, add whatever farkles they want, even a fish finder but will not get one from a stealer, I mean dealer. Guess things have a way of turning out the way they are meant to.
Gunny, thanks for your service and those days are over. Not perfect, but the MOCO has come along way. I have owned many H-D's and only 2 BMW's. All have served me well and all have had their share of problems. This year i expected (well actually last year) that BMW would unveil the NEW KXXXXLT, but as of yet they haven't. What to do? Not wnating the SAME motorcycle that left me with only 2 choices, an H-D bagger or the Gold Wing. My choice was simple, go back to what you know. Also, my experience with another owned Honda Mcy soured me somewhat. I have no regrets.

If anything is differant, it is the dealer/stealer network that I like about H-D. There are plenty of em, so if ya have a problem with one, it ain't too far a ride to the next one. You can't say that about BMW. Take Long Island, NY. NO DEALERS PERIOD. Want service? Take the ferry to Conneticut or visit the factory store in Manahttan. This is going on for over 2 years now. That is just CRIMINAL IMHO.

Enjoy the ride, whatever it may be.

Regards,

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
johnk12lt is offline  
post #38 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:59 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: statesville , n.c., usa
Posts: 257
yes they puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Yes! contrary to popular belief, they don't pi$$ oil or shed parts anymore. Haven't done that in years. The Electra Glide and Road kings cannot be compated with the LT or RT. they do the same thing (touring) but do it differently. I just got back from my vacation, all 1,966 miles, NY to Pigeon Forge, Tn and back. I burnt no oil, shed no parts, lost no teeth. The bike was new, just had 1000 checkup after purchase. Yes, the new ones (96") run HOT when stuck in traffic, due to EPA emissions. That is prolly the only problem I have encountered and there is a fix, which I will address shortly.

So, based on the above experience and that of a majority of other owners, I WOULD and COULD (am a licensed pilot) DEFINETLY FLY A PLANE BUILT BY THE MOCO without hesitation.
I beg to differ with you on the don't pi$$ oil & shed parts. had a 98 flhtcui rocker boxes and base gaskets were a constant problem. had to overhaul the top-end at 42,000 mi. take the dam things of the trailer and ride em they will puke. have two friends bought new hardlys. one bagger and one super glide at 250 miles on the bagger the right muffler fell off going down the road. at 300 miles on the super glide a bolt that holds the chain (belt) guard fell out guard fell dn. on the rear pulley and bent the guard. true story
danbrown is offline  
post #39 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 339
...if it aint leakin' oil, it's OUT OF OIL.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
K1200LTryder is offline  
post #40 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 2:28 pm
mws
Junior Member
 
mws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orange Village, OH, USA
Posts: 18
Last night my wife was invited to a "Girls only garade party" at a local HD shop. She wondered out loud what they were going to do.
My reply was "ya know, clean up the shop, dust and mop and stuff".

After the beatings were over, I dropped her off.

When I went to pick her up, she wanted to me to look at this bike. Uh oh I thought, here we go.

It was their 105th Anniversary Road King. 105th Anniversary, what the heck? Ya gotta hand it to their marketing dept.!

Not a bad paint scheme. Black and copper with accents of copper color leather on the saddlebags and seat. It has gold trim on the air cleaner cover and other small bits, pretty tasteful. A little over 22K, without chromed front forks!

The options I thought were interesting options were a 6 gal. tank, ABS, and most interesting was the throttle by wire, no throttle cables! I wonder how that will work out? Did the hash out the tranny issue's from '07?

In the end she decided not to go for it, to much bling to buy to bring it up to her 05 Deluxe level.... whew!

12 R1200GS Rallye, (mine)
04 R1100S, mand/gray (hers)
95 Lab, Choc. (10/95-05/09 RIP)
mws is offline  
post #41 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Senior Member
 
johnk12lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Staten Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
I beg to differ with you on the don't pi$$ oil & shed parts. had a 98 flhtcui rocker boxes and base gaskets were a constant problem. had to overhaul the top-end at 42,000 mi. take the dam things of the trailer and ride em they will puke. have two friends bought new hardlys. one bagger and one super glide at 250 miles on the bagger the right muffler fell off going down the road. at 300 miles on the super glide a bolt that holds the chain (belt) guard fell out guard fell dn. on the rear pulley and bent the guard. true story

Dan, I can tell you a ton of horror stories regarding BMW's, Honda's and a good number of other motorcycle brands. Forget bikes, how about cars? Same story. What I'm saying is, things have gotten far better over the years with the MOCO, no brand is perfect. All one has to do is look at the rear drive issues with BMW or cracked frames with the Glod Wings. We can sit here for days, but that is not my intent. Ride safe....

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
johnk12lt is offline  
post #42 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Marshfield, MO, USA
Posts: 227
I've owned/ridden several HD's, 3 BMW's ( 2-LT's, 1-Rt), a custom Chopper and several other brands and have enjoyed all of them. Currently I am riding an 07 Road Glide. She (Stella) is 1.5 months old and has only 6K miles so far. I've had 0 problems. Just got back from a trip to the Dragon, Smokies, Daytona back to the Ozarks. No drips, no errors. My BMW's all performed great also. My only gripe was the 150 mile 1-way trip to the dealership. It's comforting to know on a trip that if I need a HD dealer , there's probably one close. I bought the Road Glide because of the styling ( fixed fairing) and also because I saw no need to tour any more at 110 + mph. If it's there, ya use it. Anyway I think I look great wearing all my BMW gear on my new HD ! Sure is a great conversation starter ! Cowboy
Chiefrydr is offline  
post #43 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 8:29 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
I beg to differ with you on the don't pi$$ oil & shed parts. Had a 98 flhtcui--rocker boxes and base gaskets were a constant problem. Had to overhaul the top-end at 42,000 mi. Take the dam things out of the trailer and ride em they will puke. Have two friends bought new hardlys. One bagger and one super glide, at 250 miles on the bagger the right muffler fell off going down the road. At 300 miles on the super glide a bolt that holds the chain (belt) guard fell out guard fell dn. On the rear pulley and bent the guard. True story
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
...If it aint leakin' oil, it's OUT OF OIL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Dan, I can tell you a ton of horror stories regarding BMW's, Honda's and a good number of other motorcycle brands. Forget bikes, how about cars? Same story. What I'm saying is, things have gotten far better over the years with the MOCO, no brand is perfect. All one has to do is look at the rear drive issues with BMW or cracked frames with the Glod Wings. We can sit here for days, but that is not my intent. Ride safe....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrydr
I've owned/ridden several HD's, 3 BMW's ( 2-LT's, 1-Rt), a custom Chopper and several other brands and have enjoyed all of them. Currently I am riding an 07 Road Glide. She (Stella) is 1.5 months old and has only 6K miles so far. I've had 0 problems. Just got back from a trip to the Dragon, Smokies, Daytona back to the Ozarks. No drips, no errors. My BMW's all performed great also. My only gripe was the 150 mile 1-way trip to the dealership. It's comforting to know on a trip that if I need a HD dealer , there's probably one close. I bought the Road Glide because of the styling ( fixed fairing) and also because I saw no need to tour any more at 110 + mph. If it's there, ya use it. Anyway I think I look great wearing all my BMW gear on my new HD! Sure is a great conversation starter!
Well, there is sure a wide variation of opinions on H-D's quality. Also, why will the V-Rod never be accepted as a "real" Harley? What's the big deal with water cooling? It sure helps with heat and emissions!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #44 of 46 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:56 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: , Texas, USA
Posts: 120
Well its all been said here but I for one am impressed that Harley really seems to be making the effort to make their bikes as good as they can and compete not only in their market segment but in others.

Look at the Harley line.....they have what EVERY other motorcycle manufacturer WISHES they had , total dominance. They have an icon and an entire lifestyle they sell and boy do they sell. This company was in the can thirty years ago, game over and now look at it. If Honda, BMW etc. could have what HD does , they would , marketing dream. Ultra profitability as well.

Refreshing to see they are not resting on their laurels though. You want sport bikes that are unique , Buell is it . Look at the NEW water cooled 1125 just released , totally state of the art , should be quite competitive.

The V Rod introduced a few years ago and the many new models in that line .

The classics now have a six speed tranny ,good fuel injection across the board and now even optional ABS on Brembo brakes-never thought I would see the day.

You can say what you want about HD but I am glad they are upgrading the performance of their offerings and broadening the types of machines they are offering. Heck , I may just own one some day if they keep it up....

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

2002 K1200LTC

Owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shriker is offline  
post #45 of 46 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hardin, Ky, USA
Posts: 160
08's with Brembo's

Sold two yesterday,105th anniversary Ultra w ABS and a new white Street Glide,boy do the brakes ever make a difference,wonder if I can retrofit them to my 07 RoadGlide,doubt it,brake resvoir and everything is diff.Electronic throttle is great too.
CaptRich is offline  
post #46 of 46 Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:42 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florissant , Mo, USA
Posts: 461
Have owned a couple HDs, but as far as I am concerned they no longer suit the kind of riding I do, ie touring. HD knows their bikes run hot, but little they can do without tinkering with the classic look. My brother had to have the top end rebuilt on his three year old Ultra after two of our trips. I heard the dealer tell him, the last time, that Harley's were just not made to run like that, ie 75-80 mph for days at a time. He now has an RT. By the way, I always thought the HD Glide seats were very comfy, but the dealer advised they changed either seats or manufacturers, and now many are replacing them with aftermarket stuff, too bad, once one of their strong points.

Gary T
Ghost55 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alaska Summer 2008, Argintina 2009 Texas42 GS Series 5 May 15th, 2007 10:20 am
When do the 2008 models arrive? Jackie Bike Talk 5 May 13th, 2007 11:53 am
New KLT for 2008 Biemer K1200LT 1 Mar 15th, 2007 6:00 am
New 2008 BMW Motorcycle? hawg Chit Chat 4 Oct 25th, 2006 10:06 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome