Saddle Sore 1,000 report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Saddle Sore 1,000 report

I did a SS1000 ride on the 4th of July. Wife thought I was crazy for picking a holiday, but it worked out well. My strategy was that most holiday travelers would have already done their traveling by the 4th, so the roads would be lightly traveled.

My brother was supposed to go also, but he canceled (more on those wussy Honda riders at another time).

Traffic was light, and ALL construction zones were shut down! The Travel Gods were smiling. If I'd waited until the weekend, I knew I was in for construction delays, and the serious heat wave we're now experiencing.

I left Cameron Park, CA at 6:00 am. I intended on leaving at 4:30 am, but was delayed the night before, in getting to bed very LATE. Went to Reno, NV on the third to see a Minor League baseball game.

Note: DO NOT go to a baseball game the night before a long ride, even if your second son is the starting pitcher! As luck would have it, the %&*$!! game went extra innings. Dumbass mistake #2: My butt was hurting at the end of the game, as we had forgotten to take our bleacher pads with us, and I sat on metal for 4 hours! I got 4 hours of sleep that night; almost postponed my trip.

I decided to go anyway - if I got too tired, I'd just check into the "Ironbutt Motel" (stretch out on the ground at a rest stop). The very moment I started my ride, my butt reminded me about aforementioned "Dumbass Mistake #2"!

Rode from Cameron Park to just north of Eugene, OR (1,016 Mapquest Miles, round trip). FWIW it was 1,054 "BMW Miles". I was on the road for 18 hours - almost 15 of those actually driving

I did stop for an extended rest stop lunch, and decided to take a short nap for 20 minutes. An hour later, I was awakened by ants crawling all over my arm.

Lowest tempurature was 59 degrees at departure. Highest temp. was 103 degrees in Redding, CA on the way back. Cooling vest did its job!

I was able to sing almost every song I know...

I carried a tank bag full of Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Fire candy, to keep me awake. I also like to snack on Fig Newtons, for 2 reasons - they aren't all that bad for you, and they FORCE you to drink water! I drank over a gallon of water - no, it didn't make me stop for "discharge" more than usual; it was hot, and I was sweating.

At about the 800 mile mark, I was ready to be done riding for the day; meaning it wasn't fun anymore, just kind of boring. Riding a bike at night is boring to me, but at this portion of the I-5 slab, there isn't much to see anyway. Completed the ride at 11:45 pm; later than I had hoped, but I wasn't trying to ride like the Rally!

Below is a picture of the approach to Mt. Shasta from the north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shasta.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	12967  

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Congratulations on your SS1000 . I'm happy to hear everything went smoothly. I did my first SS1000 June 9th on the Motorcycle Tourers Forum organized run out of Issaquah, WA. It was an out and back to Drummond, MT on I-90. My run was much cooler than yours and I had some rain on the last leg but nothing to slow me down.

If you haven't discovered it yet the MTF is another great place to get information on long distance riding and events.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Yup, dittos on the congrats!
Is this your first, or are you an insane repeat offender?

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Was the first. Will probably do another with my previously mentioned brother who canceled out on me. Next up will be a SS2000.

Going to take a 'meandering' trip down to Sierra Vista, AZ to see the folks, and spend a day or two decompressing!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Gold Supporter

Congrats Brian!

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Smile

Congrats... That story made me think about my house in the hills I had off Hwy 49 just down from the 49er Rally in Auburn..

That was some good ridin......

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 8 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
Congrats... That story made me think about my house in the hills I had off Hwy 49 just down from the 49er Rally in Auburn..

That was some good ridin......
Yep - 49 from Auburn south is a great ride!

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 12:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Congrats, Brian. But be careful, it can get addicting.

Reviewing the ride, your choices (why say mistakes?), and the consequences is a good thing. When you do it again, you'll be sure to get enough sleep the night before, and you'll find entirely new "choices" to make.

15 hours travel time is pretty good for an SS1K. If you get better at reducing time on your stops, you can complete the whole ride in about 16 hours. That means you can get a full 8 hour's sleep, then get up and do it again, almost endlessly.

Thanks for the report.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in