Expensive Parking Ticket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Expensive Parking Ticket

Well, I went to see Sicko this afternoon and since my normal motorcycle parking spot near the dumpsters was taken, I parked with the back tire on the diagonal lines beside the handicap spots, and the front tire on the walkway between the cars. It turned into a rather expensive movie. The ticket for parking in a handicap zone they gave me is $518 if paid within 7 days and $588 if paid later than 7 days. I did make sure I would not be in the way if a van with a wheelchair ramp need the space. I also wanted there to be plenty of walking room. Anybody get this and fought? I can see a ticket for the sidewalk, or some such, but I really was not in the way of anyone. And the amount seems more geared for a car taking away a spot. I did not do that. Opinions?

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 9:06 pm

My opinion is that you parked illegally and deserve a parking ticket. Doesn't matter if you thought it wouldn't be in anyone's way or not.
$518.00??? Man, that one hurts though.
post #3 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:37 pm

Right. Don't mess with handicap parking spots. Thanks for the reminder.

-joel

post #4 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

You're right. I did park illegally. I would have felt better had I got the $150 fine the other bikes by mine got for parking on the sidewalk, though. I have been yelled at in that same parking lot for "taking a car space, park where the other bikes are." That redneck in the truck didn't have a ticket book though.

Dale White

— Charles Bukowski
post #5 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:04 pm

That is quite a hefty fine. In Texas, parking in the striped access way is equivalent to parking IN the disabled space. Parking on the sidewalk is not as expensive. Sorry to hear you learned this one the hard way; $500+ is quite a sting.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 60 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:48 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
You're right. I did park illegally. I would have felt better had I got the $150 fine the other bikes by mine got for parking on the sidewalk, though. I have been yelled at in that same parking lot for "taking a car space, park where the other bikes are." That redneck in the truck didn't have a ticket book though.

Dale White
And if they had all jumped off a bridge....

Well, since $150 seems to fit in your gratuitous parking fine budget better, park on the sidewalk next time. And screw the dipshit in the truck, you are driving a licensed vehicle and pay taxes just like him. Why risk a fine of any amount when you are fully justified to park in any legitimate space in the lot?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:22 am Thread Starter

The other bikes actually parked there after I did. They jumped. : ) It does lead to a question. Does no one here park in the striped spots? I have, every Monday, at a grocery store for the last 10 years, except for the times another bike was there. I never really thought about it since it is such a common practice. This is why I mentioned the truck guy. Apparently others think it's common, too. I know I screwed up, but having never had a parking ticket, I was a bit shocked at the cost. I guess it is a lesson learned.

Dale White

— Charles Bukowski
post #8 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:30 am

I parked out in the back 40 at Meijer today to get a haircut & a few groceries. The kid out there collecting carts asked why I didn't park up by the building by the bike rack on the sidewalk, "that's where most motorcycles park" he said. I explained that it was illegal even if everyone was doing it and I didn't want to block the fire lane & get a ticket. It was then that he added "yeah, the cops do give them tickets a lot".
Makes me wonder how many of the ticketed ones he encouraged to park there...
post #9 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:40 am

Go before the traffic commissioner if possible and explain the circumstances. You might go back and take a picture of how you parked. Maybe the traffic commissioner will cut a little slack. You have nothing to loose but your time. Where you parked is a violation but he might give you a monetary brake.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #10 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 4:58 am

Expensive Parking Ticket

Park in a car parking bay next time and encourage all the other bikes to do the same. If you take up enough spaces they soon allocate a parking area for the bikes
A few years ago in Germany the authorities in some cities were complaining about bikes parking on the pavement so M.C. Kuhle Wampe a national bike club organised protests where several hundred bikes would arrive in the city early in the morning and take one car space each. The authorities soon came to their senses.

post #11 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 6:30 am

Location, Location, Location

Quote:
You're right. I did park illegally. I would have felt better had I got the $150 fine the other bikes by mine got for parking on the sidewalk, though.

Dale White
I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of older folks that live in AZ and that translates to a lot more people that have handicapped parking passes. I'd also be willing to bet that most of these older folks vote, which is why the fine there is much higher than other locations. Here in Michigan the fine is $100.00 according to the Secretary of State.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #12 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 8:14 am

Quote:
Does no one here park in the striped spots?

Dale White
Guilty,I did wonder if it was legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrenstrom
Go before the traffic commissioner if possible and explain the circumstances. You might go back and take a picture of how you parked. Maybe the traffic commissioner will cut a little slack. You have nothing to loose but your time. Where you parked is a violation but he might give you a monetary brake.
+1

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #13 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:34 am

I always park in a regular space. If anyone has any problem with me doing that, too bad.

I get upset when I see vehicles without the proper authorization parked in a handicapped spot (or in the areas used to support those vehicles). Personally, I agree with the stiff fines for them...

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #14 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
Park in a car parking bay next time and encourage all the other bikes to do the same. If you take up enough spaces they soon allocate a parking area for the bikes
A few years back a group of us went to Houston to the Astrodome and we were each charged the full price for parking. We were directed to the parking space and we each pulled into our own space. The well educated guy in the yellow vest with the orange flashlight told us to all use one parking space but since we asked at the front booth about using one space, we were told we all had to pay so we each used a space.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:34 am

One of my favorite eating places /watering holes has yellow strips at the front entrance. I see a lot of bikes parked in this area, mostly HDs but then again most bikes you see are HDs. It does irritate me because this is obviously for people to enter and leave the business. I wonder why the manager never says anything to those who park there.
post #16 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:56 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #17 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:04 pm

You get tickets for parking on the sidewalk? Isn't the sidewalk private property? It is at my local movie plex.

I've never understood why we let the city dictate how we can use our own property. If I'm running a business and I don't mind people parking on the sidwalk, then that should be my business. If other customer's don't like it, that's still my business. I'll do what makes sense for my business. It's not like the city knows how to serve its customers well.

What's next, we'll get ticketed for parking a car incorrectly in our driveway? The city should keep to policing public property. This encroachment on our private property rights is hitting high gear, and it's our fault for letting these "good rules" get started in the first place.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #18 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 1:00 pm

I too park 'occasionally' in the striped area but at the end of the 'isle' not in the handicapped area, at my local Wallyworld. A 'lot warden' at Acadamy sports told me to park up near the building so he could watch the bike for me easier. No commonalities exist apparently. And I dont feel at all guilty about taking up a whole car-sized spot if there is no bike parking.

But I agree with taking it up with the 'judge' or whoever, cant hurt.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #19 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 1:46 pm
Premium Vendor

Sorry you got hit with such a steep fine but I think it is due to the heat. My folks lives in Buckeye ,AZ and is in his early eighties with Diabetes, dialysis patient and hip and knee replacements. Last summer in 120 degree heat he and Mom took a trip to Walmart. All the handicapped had been taken up(legally stickered) but they had to walk from quite a distance to the door. He dropped over half way there . The EMT said they had been responding to many calls for older people dropping in parking lots. It may have something to do with the higher fines. Anyway,when I park the LT in a full size spot I park to one side so another bike can get in if need be. The trouble here in So Cal is the the full size spots seem to be getting smaller and smaller. Right now my Dodge 1500 truck won't fit in most shopping center or bank parking lots. The real grief is that Home depot and Lowes are shrinking as well. I guess I'll have to get a Prius with a pipe rack.

Tony 05
post #20 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
A few years ago in Germany the authorities in some cities were complaining about bikes parking on the pavement so M.C. Kuhle Wampe a national bike club organised protests where several hundred bikes would arrive in the city early in the morning and take one car space each. The authorities soon came to their senses.
Similar situation happened out my way. We used to park 4 bikes in one parking spot and feed the meter at the local beach area. We all got ticketed for more than one bike in a spot (even though the meter for that spot was fed).
One hot Sunday morning, bright and early, before all the families came down in thier minivans with rugrats in tow to enjoy a day at the beach, several hundred bikes showed up, each one taking a spot and feeding the meter. All the spots were filled when Mom and Dad and little Johnny showed up, and they all started complaining that there was no need for one bike to take a whole space up. When the local cops started telling us to multiple park, we all flashed our tickets and politely refused. Those tickets were all dismissed and multiple parking of bikes was then encouraged after that.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #21 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 3:33 pm

I would suggest that a copy of the local parking regulations would be a good thing to have.

1. Most laws say one motor vehicle per meter.
2. Striped areas are called safety zones. Most have laws that say there is no parking or driving in safety zones.
3. Sidewalks, even in front of your house, are for public use and most places have a law that says you can't park on the sidewalk. I
4. Mall parking lots, etc., are generally known as traffic ways open to the use of the general public and traffic and parking laws can be enforced even though it is property owned by a private company.

I found that, during my days "on the job", nothing could provoke an argument from a citizen more than a parking ticket. May disabled people are very vocal about the so called handicapped zones and complain if a non-permit vehicle even has one tire over the line. Many officers will issue a citation just to shut the complainer up, human nature being what it is and all.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #22 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 3:51 pm
fas

Talking Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrenstrom
+1

Good advice.

Worth the effort.

Good luck.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #23 of 60 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Similar situation happened out my way. We used to park 4 bikes in one parking spot and feed the meter at the local beach area. We all got ticketed for more than one bike in a spot (even though the meter for that spot was fed).
One hot Sunday morning, bright and early, before all the families came down in thier minivans with rugrats in tow to enjoy a day at the beach, several hundred bikes showed up, each one taking a spot and feeding the meter. All the spots were filled when Mom and Dad and little Johnny showed up, and they all started complaining that there was no need for one bike to take a whole space up. When the local cops started telling us to multiple park, we all flashed our tickets and politely refused. Those tickets were all dismissed and multiple parking of bikes was then encouraged after that.
It was encouraged for that day, but was it legal? I have a problem in principle with being allowed to "break the law" when convenient, but having a nice revenue generator otherwise. I think I would've refused to double up, following the law. If they don't like it, change the law.

But, with the proper threats and wanting to be with the family, I probably would've complied. It's easier to be principled when you're not being threatened.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #24 of 60 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
It was encouraged for that day, but was it legal? I have a problem in principle with being allowed to "break the law" when convenient, but having a nice revenue generator otherwise. I think I would've refused to double up, following the law. If they don't like it, change the law.
Precisely what happened. Nobody moved thier bikes, citing the fact that it was illegal and we could be ticketed, as we had been in the past for doing precisely what the officer was now asking us to do. We informed the town that we intended to continue to park in that manner every weekend. An emergency town meeting was held, and the local statute was changed so that "more than one vehicle could park in a metered spot so long as the total number of vehicles did not park in such a manner as to extend beyond the painted lines of the designated parking spot" or something close to that.

What it came down to is this: they could collect $10 per bike for multiple parking, or those bikes could park legally for the day for $5 each, and the local shops would lose all the money that the familes would normally spend there (we refused to even buy a cold soda). Economics driving law enforcement, that's all.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #25 of 60 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:05 pm

That's awesome! I love a happy ending.

But, I'm confused. There's only 1 meter, so I figure the parking rate would be 1/2 per bike if doubled up.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #26 of 60 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:08 pm

Wanna get them real EXCITED? Go get a handicapped MOTORCYCLE license plate.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #27 of 60 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
I LOVE this kind of result. Common folk coming together to make a reasonable point in an intelligent and non-violent way.

I never park the bike on the sidewalk, in a striped zone, or anywhere that isn't specifically marked as a parking spot -- I don't want the ticket, or the bad PR from the general public. When riding with a friend and parking, we always try to double-up in a spot. Most cagers appreciate that. Some don't. Screw 'em.

Also: when parking the bike solo in the middle of a marked parking spot, more often than not some bozo sees the extra space on both sides of the bike as an open invitation to park his precious car over the line, especially when it's in a series of parallel parking spots along the curb. Where's the parking ticket then?!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #28 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Also: when parking the bike solo in the middle of a marked parking spot, more often than not some bozo sees the extra space on both sides of the bike as an open invitation to park his precious car over the line, especially when it's in a series of parallel parking spots along the curb. Where's the parking ticket then?!
I hear ya. We stopped at the lodge in Big Bend and some bozo in a mini van parked in the same spot with the bike (I left some room for other bikes if needed) He was so close I couldn't get the bike off the side stand. He had crawled over the center console and exited the passenger door. I had to go in the restaurant and asked if anyone in there had a blue Chrysler mini van. A dood with his wife and kids raised his hand. I went over and asked him nicely to move it. He copped a major attitude and was really belligerant..... till we got outside.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:30 am

I had some guy on a scooter park between me and the car behind me, on the city street at a parking meter. I had to sit in my car for 1 hour waiting for this idiot to return so that I could leave. You don't want to know how mad I was by the time he got there. THEN, he started following me all over town to harass me. After several miles of this I got real tired of his stupidity and thought I would let him check out his ABS skills. They weren't so good. ~;-)

Coni
IBA # 8633
MOA# 95186
Live, Love, Laugh and Long Distance Riding: Does it get any better?
post #30 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:54 am

My wife has a handicapped tag thingy for her recently replaced hip. The only thing that really pisses us off is the CONSTANT parking w/out said thingy.
If your parking doesn't impede a handicapped van exit (reason for lines) it shouldn't be a $500 plus thing-but I think 'bout 1/2 that would stop the behavior.

Mike
post #31 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:00 am

Quote:
Well, I went to see Sicko this afternoon and since my normal motorcycle parking spot near the dumpsters was taken, I parked with the back tire on the diagonal lines beside the handicap spots, and the front tire on the walkway between the cars. It turned into a rather expensive movie. The ticket for parking in a handicap zone they gave me is $518 if paid within 7 days and $588 if paid later than 7 days. I did make sure I would not be in the way if a van with a wheelchair ramp need the space. I also wanted there to be plenty of walking room. Anybody get this and fought? I can see a ticket for the sidewalk, or some such, but I really was not in the way of anyone. And the amount seems more geared for a car taking away a spot. I did not do that. Opinions?

Dale White
Pay the ticket. it is not left up to your descretion, the handi cap spots are marked for a reason according to codes, Now if your tire was not on a blue or handi cap designated line I would fight the handi cap ticket and go for a illegal parked ticket (IOW parked on a white or yellow diaganal lines)

if they let you slide for a closely parked vehicle it will set a precedence for others, and having been in a wheel chair for over a year I can tell you there are many rude inconsiderate people that will take advantage of every inch

I have handi cap tags I'll tell you even though I do, you can not legally park another motorcycle W/O Handi cap tags in the same spot as my motorcycle, I have only once had them ask us to move my wifes bike out of it though and that was in helen Ga

Tom
post #32 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:02 am

Quote:
The other bikes actually parked there after I did. They jumped. : ) It does lead to a question. Does no one here park in the striped spots? I have, every Monday, at a grocery store for the last 10 years, except for the times another bike was there. I never really thought about it since it is such a common practice. This is why I mentioned the truck guy. Apparently others think it's common, too. I know I screwed up, but having never had a parking ticket, I was a bit shocked at the cost. I guess it is a lesson learned.

Dale White

yes I park in the many times at stores, mainly to keep the bike visible. But it is still illegal and you can be ticketed it for it
post #33 of 60 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 6:53 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
....I parked with the back tire on the diagonal lines beside the handicap spots, and the front tire on the walkway between the cars....The ticket for parking in a handicap zone they gave me is $518 if paid within 7 days and $588 if paid later than 7 days. I did make sure I would not be in the way if a van with a wheelchair ramp need the space. I also wanted there to be plenty of walking room....
You have two considerations here: the LETTER of the law and the SPIRIT of the law. If you parked as stated, you DID NOT block disabled access and this is a REALLY CHICKEN SHIT ticket! (And F'G expensive, also!)
Quote:
....Isn't the sidewalk private property? I've never understood why we let the city dictate how we can use our own property. What's next, we'll get ticketed for parking a car incorrectly in our driveway? This encroachment on our private property rights is hitting high gear, and it's our fault for letting these "good rules" get started in the first place.
Yes, I agree that the parking enforcement Nazi's are getting a little out of control! In many communities, you can be fined for parking "incorrectly" in your own driveway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
....2. Striped areas are called safety zones. Most have laws that say there is no parking or driving in safety zones. 3. Sidewalks, even in front of your house, are for public use and most places have a law that says you can't park on the sidewalk. 4. Mall parking lots, etc., are generally known as traffic ways open to the use of the general public and traffic and parking laws can be enforced even though it is property owned by a private company. ....nothing could provoke an argument from a citizen more than a parking ticket. Many disabled people are very vocal about the so called handicapped zones and complain if a non-permit vehicle even has one tire over the line....
Yup, nothing will get you a use of force faster than a parking cite! For some reason, people just nut up tighter than a 50 gallon drum--no matter how much they deserved the cite. I will issue only for public safety hazard (fire department access) or by complaint (legit violation only, such as disabled spot).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Wanna get them real EXCITED? Go get a handicapped MOTORCYCLE license plate.
My panties are wadding already....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 60 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 8:17 am

Quote:
You get tickets for parking on the sidewalk? Isn't the sidewalk private property? It is at my local movie plex.

I-----------------------------
Maybe in a shopping mall, where everything is built with private money. NOT sidewalks next to streets or roads though. Those are built with city/county/state money, and are not owned by the businesses.

I have parked many times on striped sections at the end of parking lot rows, usually that is not a problem, but the striped section next to a handicapped parking space is another matter, as that is to keep clearance around the actual parking space for wheelchair etc. access.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #35 of 60 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGKILLER
------------------------------- I guess I'll have to get a Prius with a pipe rack.
And an 8 foot extension ladder.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #36 of 60 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 9:31 pm
Premium Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
And an 8 foot extension ladder.
Hey David, I have been away from the forum for a while due to some work projects. Last I knew you hailed from San Diego. When did you move ?What took you to Dandridge TN ?

Tony 05
post #37 of 60 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 1:06 am

I have handicapped motorcycle plates too. But here in SoCal there's so many handicapped plates those reerved spots are just about as hard to find as any. Now I wonder whether I'd get a ticket for parking on the blue diagonal stripey lines next to the handicapped spot (usually for wheelchair unloading from a van) with my handicapped plates???
post #38 of 60 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 2:11 am

Out here in BFE it's almost the opposite. I think there are a grand total of 12 'Gimpy Stickers' issued through out the state. (Hey, you got more people on your block that we have in the whole state!) But, there's gotta be about a bazillion designated parking spots downtown.

Never, ever see more than one - at most 2 vehicles parked in the usual 4 to 16 reserved parking spots. Often they're from out of state.

No idea what the code is - but methinks someone went just a tad 'overboard'.

Mmm, don't think I've ever heard of anyone get'n a coupon for parking in a blue slot without a sticker either.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #39 of 60 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 4:37 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper
....Now I wonder whether I'd get a ticket for parking on the blue diagonal stripey lines next to the handicapped spot (usually for wheelchair unloading from a van) with my handicapped plates???
Without a doubt! 110% chance!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #40 of 60 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper
I have handicapped motorcycle plates too. But here in SoCal there's so many handicapped plates those reerved spots are just about as hard to find as any. -------- Now I wonder whether I'd get a ticket for parking on the blue diagonal stripey lines next to the handicapped spot (usually for wheelchair unloading from a van) with my handicapped plates???
I got em on my bikes too, it's hard to find Handi cap spots here in Ga as well, FL has tons of spots but they are always full too (all the retired folks kids use them)

as far as parking in the diag blue stripped , I'm sure they could ticket you, as that is designated for wheel chair area for side loading vans.

oops almost forgot, they are now starting to do spots that are twice as long (actually longer) for rear loading handi cap vehicles.
Want to talk about eating up parking spots!

think parallel parking in a parking lot where everything else parks diagonally, talk about eating up space!
post #41 of 60 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
I get upset when I see vehicles without the proper authorization parked in a handicapped spot (or in the areas used to support those vehicles). Personally, I agree with the stiff fines for them...
This will make popular but handicapped spaces are BS. If someone is handicapped and need a wider space, give them one out of way. After all, they aren't walking. They are cruising along in battery operated vehicle. As for the feeble but ambulatory -- 9 out 10 probably need more exercise and more walking just for physical therapy. can't walk 100 yds? BS. The isle in the store is longer than that. Now, I would take one of the plates. I can get one for my car but not for my bike. Hmmm. ANd if I did get one, it would be BS.
post #42 of 60 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm

If an individual REALLY needs a permit, then by all means let them have that privilage. What burns me is the people who are not handicapped who are using grandma's car park in those spaces. They should be fined and have their licence taken.
post #43 of 60 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendy
This will make popular but handicapped spaces are BS. If someone is handicapped and need a wider space, give them one out of way. After all, they aren't walking. They are cruising along in battery operated vehicle. As for the feeble but ambulatory -- 9 out 10 probably need more exercise and more walking just for physical therapy. can't walk 100 yds? BS. The isle in the store is longer than that. Now, I would take one of the plates. I can get one for my car but not for my bike. Hmmm. ANd if I did get one, it would be BS.
I almost agreed with you. But...... seeing how your calling BS you must have no clue at all so here is my opinion

I only spent just under a full year, then a few more month's after the second surgery in a wheel chair, for the most part someone else pushing you in a chair is at best strenuous on them. I assume if you have or had use of both arms after some time, you would be able to wheel your self about anywhere.

Only having use of one arm for sometime (and most of that it was in a cast) and the other arm was not usable at all makes it a real PITA to use a wheel chair (or anthing for that matter

like I said if it were a permanant deal you would eventually over come I would think.

I do have a screwed up leg and back, I dont need a wheel chair at all these days, but many times walking is a real pain (in fact I have been in and out of the hospital again for my damn leg and it's been 11 years) note i'm not bitching as I'm damn glad i still have it, just saying it can be a real painful event doing much walking.

so what are you really saying?

just because you can ride a bike means you shouldn't have handi cap tags?

and yes you can have handi cap plates on your bikes.
I have them on mine - so do a few of my friends

adding this as I think it needs saying

being really screwed up for some time now has give me a new respect for folks in general, somtimes you just can not tell by looking at someone what physical conditions they may have.
post #44 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:40 am

Quote:
My first wife had handicapped plates after major surgery because she COULDN'T walk 100 yards. To look at her she looked fit and healthy, but that was a front for her own self-esteem. When you know what you're talking about I might take you seriously, but in the meantime I'll consign your comments to the shit heap where they belong.

Incidentally - I get furious with people parking in handicapped spots when they shouldn't - tow their cars and make them walk home!

Objects in mirror may be disappearing faster than they seem...
post #45 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:52 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....but handicapped spaces are BS. If someone is handicapped and need a wider space, give them one out of way. After all, they aren't walking. They are cruising along in battery operated vehicle. As for the feeble but ambulatory -- 9 out 10 probably need more exercise and more walking just for physical therapy. can't walk 100 yds? BS. The isle in the store is longer than that. Now, I would take one of the plates. I can get one for my car but not for my bike. Hmmm. ANd if I did get one, it would be BS.
What I can say "D" is that the DMV (at least in Kalifornia) hands placards out to anybody and everybody. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I've cited and placards that I've confiscated for misuse! Sure wish the state would tighten up on that. It keeps the "real" disabled from using the spaces.

I noticed that your comments got some panties wadding! You should post more often.

Last edited by jayjacobson; Aug 8th, 2007 at 4:01 am.
post #46 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:07 am

While I was taking off the helmet and then answering the steenkeen cell phone, I saw a guy park in a handicap, get out of his pickup and start walking for the Walmart. A local LEO cruising by saw the truck sitting there, got out and started to write it. I reckon he saw her before he got inside as he literally ran back to the truck, reached inside and hung the placard on the mirror.

The names didn't match on placard or TDL, so she wrote him anyway. In my book, she's doing a great job.

The reason I watched and waited was I was parked in a striped zone at the end of the row and wanted to know if she had a problem with that. Nope.

Reckon I should have told her that I rode over there illegally? I had put my script sunglasses on the seat of the bike while suiting up and then sat on them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #47 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

The reason I watched and waited was I was parked in a striped zone at the end of the row and wanted to know if she had a problem with that. Nope.

Reckon I should have told her that I rode over there illegally? I had put my script sunglasses on the seat of the bike while suiting up and then sat on them.
Man, oh man. I reckon this one is too easy!!!
post #48 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
What I can say "D" is that the DMV (at least in Kalifornia) hands placards out to anybody and everybody. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I've cited and placards that I've confiscated for misuse! Sure wish the state would tighten up on that. It keeps the "real" disabled from using the spaces.

I noticed that your comments got some panties wadding! You should post more often.

hahah, no panties wadded, he just showed his ignorance of others is all.

Like so many do.
post #49 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Yes, I agree that the parking enforcement Nazi's are getting a little out of control! In many communities, you can be fined for parking "incorrectly" in your own driveway!..
A ticket for parking "incorrectly" in your own driveway? If I didn't have a cerebral hemorrhage right there on the spot, I guarantee I'd be on CNN by the end of the day. Ugh!

I need a Guinness! See you all tomorrow.

OneShot
'06 OCEAN BLUE K1200 LT

'96 STATES-BLUE PEARL HARLEY SOFTAIL CUSTOM

God Bless America, Land that I love, Stand beside her, and guide her, Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam,
God bless America, my home, sweet, home.
post #50 of 60 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:11 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
While I was taking off the helmet and then answering the steenkeen cell phone....
Know exactly what you mean. That steenkeen cell phone almost ruined your whole ride! Luckily that $330 spanking redeemed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in