Headlight Armor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 6:50 am Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Headlight Armor

I have been searching for a film type headlight protector for a few weeks now....well I think I've found what I was looking for. Ran across this company on a Google search and ordered a kit from them.They are located in Plano Tx and shipped in one day.I will post an update on how easy it is to install, fit and over all looks when it gets here.
www.headlightarmor.com
Looks like they have good coverage on make and model of bikes

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I have been searching for a film type headlight protector for a few weeks now....well I think I've found what I was looking for. Ran across this company on a Google search and ordered a kit from them.They are located in Plano Tx and shipped in one day.I will post an update on how easy it is to install, fit and over all looks when it gets here.
www.headlightarmor.com
Good find, Steve. Go carefully on the install - patience is a virtue there!!

BTW - I found a leetle scrap piece left over from that 60' roll of Ricochet material I bought in 2000. I'll brung it with me to the Stagecoach, if you wanna put it on your radio display. I think I still have the template that I used for the display window; if I can find it, I'll brung it too.
post #3 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:23 am
Gold Supporter

Kudos Steve,

Keep us posted and do you think you'll have it on by Saturday so we can see it?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Kudos Steve,

Keep us posted and do you think you'll have it on by Saturday so we can see it?
Jerry...
Yes it should be here Thursday , Friday at the latest. They ship priority mail which is 2 days from the Dallas area to Austin. I will put in on as soon as I get it and will post an update

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:30 am

Quote:
Jerry...
Yes it should be here Thursday , Friday at the latest. They ship priority mail which is 2 days from the Dallas area to Austin. I will put in on as soon as I get it and will post an update
Can't wait to see your report! I've been needing that!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Their web site states that they can do group buys for automotive sites, I suspect they would carry this over for us as well.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, Steve.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have been very happy with the film from xpel.com.

http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...e=89&model=723

dan martin
post #8 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Quote:
www.headlightarmor.com
I might be hallucinating (happens frequently) but I seem to remember some issues with the plastic lens of the 05 - 07's "crazing" (tiny spider web like fissures) from the trapped heat and/or adhesive with similar covers? Am I losing it??

Should not be a problem with yours. (glass with the 99's to 04.)

Ordered a set for my car - 25 mil is THICK! ...and the thought of replacing one headlight from an errant stone at $1280.00 just gags me.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 20 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I might be hallucinating (happens frequently) but I seem to remember some issues with the plastic lens of the 05 - 07's "crazing" (tiny spider web like fissures) from the trapped heat and/or adhesive with similar covers? Am I losing it??

Should not be a problem with yours. (glass with the 99's to 04.)

Ordered a set for my car - 25 mil is THICK! ...and the thought of replacing one headlight from an errant stone at $1280.00 just gags me.
I believe you're right, Ron. Seems it wuz from one of our Euro cousins. I don't remember how it finally got resolved, if ever?

I sure wish I could find a supplier of the stuff I found back in '99. It wuz made in Canada, and I talked with the manufacturer about the product, at length, and finally ordered several kits - 2 12" x 17" sheets, IIRC. Worked great on ole Toad's headlight (still there and still invisible - 'til I tell ya it's there!). No templates at the time, so I just laid it on and cut off the excess with the Xacto knife that came with it. When I ran out of gifting kits, I ordered a 60' roll of the stuff from some middle man in NV (I think) and gifted all that away. Now, I no longer can find the stuff, nor the vendors, nor make contact with the manufacturer. It wuz great stuff - nonyellowing, and able to withstand a pellet shot at 20'. I'm thinkin' it wuz 40 mil thick, but crs may say otherwise. I'm still looking for it. Ricochet, I think it wuz called.
post #10 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:

Ron.....
That's why I 've been lookin for this stuff I has a rock go through the headlight of my LT to the tune of $375.00 Mama was not happy so $40.00 to help stop a rock is CHEAP

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Update !!!!

My "Headlight Armor" is in !!!!! very easy to install... just heat with a hair dryer to make soft. Wet light with warm water, also your hands. Lay it on , adjust fit and sqeegee it on. Instructions say start at one side but... was easyer to start in the middle and work your way out Great fit and dang near can not see it Installed in under 5 minutes.
Well the rain stopped and the suns out ... TIME TO RIDE

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I believe you're right, Ron. Seems it wuz from one of our Euro cousins. I don't remember how it finally got resolved, if ever?

I sure wish I could find a supplier of the stuff I found back in '99. It wuz made in Canada, and I talked with the manufacturer about the product, at length, and finally ordered several kits - 2 12" x 17" sheets, IIRC. Worked great on ole Toad's headlight (still there and still invisible - 'til I tell ya it's there!). No templates at the time, so I just laid it on and cut off the excess with the Xacto knife that came with it. When I ran out of gifting kits, I ordered a 60' roll of the stuff from some middle man in NV (I think) and gifted all that away. Now, I no longer can find the stuff, nor the vendors, nor make contact with the manufacturer. It wuz great stuff - nonyellowing, and able to withstand a pellet shot at 20'. I'm thinkin' it wuz 40 mil thick, but crs may say otherwise. I'm still looking for it. Ricochet, I think it wuz called.
Here it tis... 40 mil thick - WOW, that would stop a .357!!

Sounds like this might be the ticket though:

20-mil Ricochet Graduated Density (RGD) - the outer skin of RGD is harder than the interior layer, thus providing a cushioning effect against impacts. RGD gives even better protection to headlights than normal 40-mil PVC film; it's unlike anything else on the market today.

http://www.ricochetprotects.com/en/store.php

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 28th, 2007 at 5:57 pm.
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Quote:
My "Headlight Armor" is in !!!!! very easy to install... just heat with a hair dryer to make soft. Wet light with warm water, also your hands. Lay it on , adjust fit and sqeegee it on. Instructions say start at one side but... was easyer to start in the middle and work your way out Great fit and dang near can not see it Installed in under 5 minutes.
KEWL! - I tried to do this with some really thick 40 mil 3M stuff - and it fit with a little struggle, but it just looked terrible - the glue kind of fogged up behind it, no doubt the wrong stuff...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 6:11 pm
Gold Supporter

So did I read this right...those of us with 05 and newer can not use this stuff? What options do we have to protect our lights?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #15 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 8:45 pm

That's IT!! Thanks, Ron. I owe ya.

Wonder why Google could never find it for me? Dang it.

Before anyone orders the stuff, you need to get closure on that situation that popped up in Europe where some of the newer style headlight fixtures were cracking (plastic lenses) and a protective film of some sort wuz being blamed. I can't remember if that wuz the final verdict or not.

Butt - if you have a glass lens on your headlight fixture, this stuff is the cat's meow. I'm serious when I tell ya that I gotta tell ya it's on there, and it's been there since '99. And you'll still have to look close up.

Thanks again, Ron. Nice surprise to me!!!

Quote:
Here it tis... 40 mil thick - WOW, that would stop a .357!!

Sounds like this might be the ticket though:

20-mil Ricochet Graduated Density (RGD) - the outer skin of RGD is harder than the interior layer, thus providing a cushioning effect against impacts. RGD gives even better protection to headlights than normal 40-mil PVC film; it's unlike anything else on the market today.

http://www.ricochetprotects.com/en/store.php

post #16 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:03 pm

One more vendor

Here be another vendor....

www.jmhmotorsport.com
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

I'm back and I gotta tell ya the stuff works great !!! Was leaving loneStar BMW and this DIP S%$T in front of me pilled out in his pickup and chunked rocks all over the front of my bike gota few "NEW" paint chips but... the headlight is good I do recommend "Headlight Armor" (for '99-'04) bikes

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:43 pm

I have been using one of the 80 mil thick vinyl covers for over three years with no problem. There does not seem to be any heat issues over the HID low beam.

Aerostich

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Ordered mine today - thanks for the report!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:59 am

Anyone know if heat would be a bigger issue with a xenon light? I don't know which light produces more heat.

Ken
2007 BMW K1200GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in