Need opinions... good or bad... helmets? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Need opinions... good or bad... helmets?

Boiled down to this: Shoei MultiTec or Nolan N-102.

Basic problem to overcome? Noise... the HJC just ain't making the trip.

Scanned the posts... Got some idea, but no one had actually stated that for noise the Shoei over the Nolan or vicey-vercy...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

I don't own either. But from what I have heard from a very good riding buddy, the Shoei is awesome. Very good venting and noise prevention. This is way up in the list of "want to have" for me!!!

My personal experience with a Nolan was not very pleasant. Its prolly because they do not fit my head well. Also, FWIW, my HJC SYmax was/is better than the Nolan X-lite that I got.

Just my opinion.

Lesson learnt with the Nolan Purchase : Never buy another helmet without trying them on first. FWIW, I will never order them online.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #3 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:51 pm
Super Moderator

I have the previous model Shoei, and am on me second one because I liked it so much. When the time comes I'll replace it with a Multitec. A buddy has the Multitec and loves it; his favorite helmet to date.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 1:02 pm

not sure what changes were made from the nolan 101 to the 102 other than the inner shield, but I had a 101 and now have a multitec, and the multitec is significantly quieter, not sure if that helps

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 1:58 pm

I have one Syncrotec and two Multitecs and the Multitecs are much quieter. On my LT with my windshield adjusted to my normal riding position I have very little helmet buffeting and the position of the top vent doesn't make much difference in the noise level. On my GS I do have some buffeting on the top of my helmet and the Multitec is considerably noisier with the top vent open but still quieter than my Syncrotec with it's top vent open.

I have never worn a Nolan while riding becuase they don't fit my oval head very well. I even had to do a little surgery on my Sycrotec to make it bearable on anything longer than a trip to the store. The Multitec fits me perfectly. I can't make any comparison to the Nolan but I can say to the Multitec.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I have the previous model Shoei, and am on me second one because I liked it so much. When the time comes I'll replace it with a Multitec. A buddy has the Multitec and loves it; his favorite helmet to date.
That's what I am looking for... Thank-you sir!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #7 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
not sure what changes were made from the nolan 101 to the 102 other than the inner shield, but I had a 101 and now have a multitec, and the multitec is significantly quieter, not sure if that helps
It helps... A LOT! While the multitec is more expensive, the quiet is badly needed... The SO gets cranky if i can't understand her...

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #8 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:19 pm

I don't know if this would be an option for you, but here is another approach. . .

I have an HJC SyMax. VERY comfortable on my noggin, but VERY noisy.

I had some custom-molded plugs made for my Shure 4 earphones, and I use these with my intercom/phone/iPod/etc and the difference is fabulous. I have an adapter that lets me plug the Shures in to the Autocom headset lead.

I can actually hear the highs and lows from the music, and I can hear rider-pax conversations and telephone conversations like never before.

Did I mention that the custom ear molds were about 1/4 the cost of a new MultiTec, even at the recent group buy price (about 1/5 the cost of buying MultiTec from a retail dealer)? Even if you don't have good in-ear headphones, you can get a decent set for $100-200 and still come out at about 1/2 the price of the replacement helmet.

FWIW, I'll be buying a MultiTec sometime soon, but only because my HJC has served for about five years now and I deserve a new helmet.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:35 pm

I've ridden with 3/4 "open face" helmets for 35+ years,
after our Elk collision last year I bought my wife and I each a new Nolan N-102
with the J&M headsets installed by "the Helmet store" in Daytona.

My wife and I agree on this much, both of us "hated" the Nolan,
it's the noisiest helmet I've ever owned, by the end of the day my ears were ringing,
I don't like wearing earplugs but did with that helmet,
However that wasn't the only issue,
if I "cracked" the face shield the noise of cars/trucks I passed or even going in the opposite direction would activate the VOX of the intercom microphone.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Boiled down to this: Shoei MultiTec or Nolan N-102.

Basic problem to overcome? Noise... the HJC just ain't making the trip.

Scanned the posts... Got some idea, but no one had actually stated that for noise the Shoei over the Nolan or vicey-vercy...
I own both, the Shoei wins HANDS DOWN....its not even a competition....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:00 pm

I have the Nolan N102 and it's the only full-face helmet I've worn. I've had it for almost 2 years (new to riding). I can't compare it to any other full-face helmet but I feel it is too noisy. +1 on the comment about wind noise activating the Baehr vox; I could turn down the vox sensitivity but I need it for normal intercom speech.

I'm looking forward to trying a better/different helmet sometime. The issue is getting one to fit. I had to do styrofoam surgery on the N102 to make it comfortable. It's just "OK", not "spectacular". Maybe next time?

On the plus side, I like the N102's sunshade and I use it every time I ride.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in