things I learned about camping.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 7:52 am Thread Starter

things I learned about camping....

Took my son to VIR for the CCS/ASRA races this past weekend. I learned that I am not a good tent camper. First, I have to have entirely too much stuff to try to make it on a bike. At least without a trailer. WE had everything you could imagine. Being our first try at camping, we brought too much of everything. WE had too much food, too much clothing, too much everything. But we were comfortable. LOL

WE did have my sons protable DVD player, whcih made him happy to sit with me and have the "movie theater" strapped to the side of the truck.

I require too much padding to sleep on the ground I think. Much less anyone else going with me. We had the bed of the truck full, as well as the unused seats. But it was all worth it to get hte other pic, of my son on the race bike with Nate Kern. Nate was very gracious and took time with every fan that showed up. BMW should be commended for the hospitality they showed the fans. Morton's BMW had a hospitality tent with drinks and snacks and seating, as well as a few bikes and flyers about the bikes. They provided Nate;s newest poster, or post card, whatever you;d like to call it. Everyone got a N8! sticker to show our support too.

I hope BMW will keep supporting the racing effort. They were the only team of mfr there that had any kind of fan stuff.

Back to camping, now. I also learned that it is BEST to remove everything from the tent BEFORE you take it down. I realized that I had to crawl thru the flattened tent to get our sleeping stuff out. A sleeping bag and small pad would work better, for future reference.

Would have to have a trailer to camp by bike with another person. But it was fun and met some nice folks on BMWs, as well as getting to see some pretty good racing.

Randy

Last edited by rando; Jun 25th, 2007 at 7:57 am. Reason: pics wouldn't upload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 8:17 am
JDW

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I returned from Glacier National Park and Yellowstone on our LT. First time camping on the motorcycle 2 up. No trailer. It was a real challenge packing just the bare necessities. The bike was WAY overloaded! Had gear on top of the rear case which didnt help with slow speed maneuvering. But we had fun!!!!!! Next time we either get a trailer for camping or stay in motels.
post #3 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 8:29 am

As we got older, our padding requirements also changed.
Started out with a 3/4 pad
Then a full pad
Then full length thick pads
Now a full size air mattress from Walmart and an air pump that plugs into the LT.
(costs less than pads and if it leaks is returnable anywhere. also packs smaller than two pads)
I think the real secret to happy camping on a trip is a motel every third day.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 9:51 am

My wife and I found a great solution for going camping. We doubled our carrying capacity without buying a trailer. She rides her own bike. Voila! Problem solved.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #5 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 9:57 am
Gold Supporter

My idea of camping and ruffing it is a Motel 6.

Super 8 is better cause they give you rags and buckets to clean up your scoot.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

My wife has no interest in riding her own. She likes the view from the passenger seat. On long trips in the car, she drives and I sleep. On the bike, She sleeps while I drive.

And yes, to this point, we have been "key campers", i.e. motel key and we're fine. Originally, my son & I just planned to sleep in the truck, but some other family members had a tent and stuff we could use, so we tried it and it was fun.

I can't imagine taking off camping or on a trip without at least one of the family along to share it, so bike camping might be out, unless the boy and I go.

randy
post #7 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 3:24 pm

It is a wonderful exercise in 1) improvising, 2) miniaturizing 3) understanding just was is *essential*. My wife and I camped several times for up to a week at a time on our GL1500. Granted that has at least one and a half times the luggage capacity of the K1200LT, and we had a BIG rack on the trunk.

We had: 8x8 dome tent - tent folded neatly fit in the bottom of one saddlebag, the poles went on the rack. Small camp cookset/eating utensils. I bought a propane 1-burner stove at Sears that screws onto the top of a propane bottle, but we never used it; the idea was to buy a bottle of propane after we got to our campsite, and leave it behind for the next person. Sleeping bags went on the rack. Full size air mattress - deflated, it fit in the bottom of the trunk and took up very little room. Small air pump that ran off the bike's battery. Flashlights, toiletries, books, camera, etc. We filled one saddlebag and the trunk with camping apparatus, leaving us one saddlebag liner for all our clothes. Somehow, this worked just fine.

The only thing we never worked out perfectly was pillows. We tried a couple of different inflatable pillows, but always ended up using rolled-up towels or our jacket liners stuffed inside one sleeve.

And for trips to the beach, we even had kites to fly! Look for a Prism Stylus or a Seattle Air Gear Wind Dance. They pack down small enough to fit in a pocket.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #8 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions.

Randy
post #9 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 4:31 pm

My little place in the country . . .

Tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mat, lights, food etc., all fit in one side bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	12786  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #10 of 30 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff

My wife's idea of roughing it is a FOUR star hotel without a spa.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mat, lights, food etc., all fit in one side bag.
That would be great for one person, but I don't see me camping alone for a few years. I like to have the wife or a kid with me. I would need a bit more. Nice setup you have there though.

Randy
post #12 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 8:23 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
My wife's idea of roughing it is a FOUR star hotel without a spa.
Hey Ron,

Our wives would camp well together.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #13 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:18 am

A hammock tent is the best tent for motorcycle camping, small and compact with no poles. It can be setup anywhere, very quickly. For pillows you can bring a pillow cover and put your clothes or towel in it to use as a pillow. I also roll my clothes up in my sleeping bag and then tie it to the top of the side case.
post #14 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
That would be great for one person, but I don't see me camping alone for a few years. I like to have the wife or a kid with me. I would need a bit more. Nice setup you have there though.

Randy

If you may take a look at this page:
http://www.viajareua.com/Lassen_Volcanic.html

1) First pic: all items we are taking over the floor

2) All camping gear, before packing

3) All camping gear, packed

4) The gray bag contains all camping gear less the stove and emergency kit, the side bags (green) contains the clotting, stove, computer, ipod, sandals, etc., the cooler contains ice and food for the day and the tank bag all miscellaneous.

the silver bag goes on top of the trunk, weights only 11pounds (tent, two sleeping bags, 2 air pads plus small items).

We go for trips like Alaska (21 days) with that setup. The tent is a 3 person tent.

Every 2 or 3 nights on the camping and then we have one night in a motel, normally better then Super 8, but not a luxurious one.

In my opinion, to do camping with the wife you will need the right gear. If you have it, you both will be a happy campers

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #15 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Quote:

Randy
I can get 2 in that tent!!

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #16 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:09 pm

I'm with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff

on the hotel, forget all of that carrying stuff!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:33 pm

I can get all mine and my wife's stuff onto the LT, including a tank bag, and trunk rack bag. We can pack enough gear, and go for a week.

I should mention that her idea of camping is the Awahnee Lodge. I can't recall the last time she was in a tent!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #18 of 30 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
As we got older, our padding requirements also changed.
Started out with a 3/4 pad
Then a full pad
Then full length thick pads
Now a full size air mattress from Walmart and an air pump that plugs into the LT.
(costs less than pads and if it leaks is returnable anywhere. also packs smaller than two pads)
I think the real secret to happy camping on a trip is a motel every third day.
+1 on the air matress, don't even take sleeping bags--fitted sheets and down comforter..just like home.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #19 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
I can get 2 in that tent!!
I could probably barely fit in there myself, without having lumps in the top.

Randy
post #20 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:16 am

For many years, and countless trips I tent camped.
I learned that the best places to look for small light weight gear is those that have to carry it on foot i.e. backpackers, Marines.
Also the more multiple uses you can get out of something, the more crap you can eliminate.
Then they bought me this big white elephant of a pop up and destroyed my years of learning.
Instead of my trunk rack (made from old stainless commercial oven shelve) doubling as my grill, I carry a small charcoal grill that takes up 10 times the room and serves no other purpose.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #21 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:24 am

Quote:
I could probably barely fit in there myself, without having lumps in the top.

Randy
. . . the photo does not show the cellar (basement?)!! - seriously, it is quite spacious, and although it's listed as a '1 person', you can get 2 in it (intimately!!!)

• MB SLK 350 MT

Last edited by Woolly; Jun 27th, 2007 at 9:22 am.
post #22 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm sure it's bigger than it looks.

As for pop-ups, I got Wing friend that says thier group has a pop-up for his wing that sleeps 5 (!).

I resisted the big touring barges for as long as I could; eventually may have to give in to the trailer thing too.

Is it illegal to put hte kids in the trailer??? LOL

Randy
post #23 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:33 am

Quote:
Is it illegal to put hte kids in the trailer???
In most states yeah... but a SIDECAR is an option to consider!

I bought my tent at Sears for $35 over 20 years ago. It's getting a little shabby now, but the floor is 8x8 and holds a "full" size air mattress comfortably. It's not even a particularly "lightweight" model -- the floor is that plasticky tarp material.

I considered the one sleeping bag unzipped, covering both of us the way a down comforter would... but... Mrs. Juggler gets chilly at night and likes to have the sleeping bag zipped up around her feet.

I've seen this suggestion elsewhere: for waterproof bags and lightweight, miniature stuff, check out stores that supply kayakers. I know people who go camping on kayaks and they seem to live pretty well.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Last edited by juggler; Jun 27th, 2007 at 9:39 am.
post #24 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

I think the big thing for us would be to lkearn to pack even lighter. We're still learning after all these years.

Randy
post #25 of 30 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Thanks, I'm sure it's bigger than it looks.

As for pop-ups, I got Wing friend that says thier group has a pop-up for his wing that sleeps 5 (!).

I resisted the big touring barges for as long as I could; eventually may have to give in to the trailer thing too.

Is it illegal to put hte kids in the trailer??? LOL

Randy
We had six in mine during a heavy storm, but after an hour or so of my snoring it was back down to one.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #26 of 30 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:27 am

If you think it's tough trying to get all your gear onto your bike, try a nice, 2-week long camping trip by bicycle sometime! When moving all the nice, extra fancy gizmos up a few long hills requires more than downshifting and twisting your right wrist a bit more, you'd be amazed at how little you can get by with.
I was touring Nova Scotia by bicycle (years ago, I was young, strong, and hadn't yet discovered motorcycles) and watched a guy on a motorcycle pull up to the site next to mine at the campground. He was completely loaded up - saddlebags crammed full of gear, handlebar bag, T-bag on the rear seat, the works. Got all unpacked and set up, then realized he didn't have any way to open up all the canned food he had packed. I was nice enough to loan him mine so he wouldn't go hungry. He paid me back with a cold beer. I think I got the better part of the deal!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #27 of 30 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

I love bicycles, but not to CAMP on, unless it's a really short hop from the truck to the campsite. There is a rail-trail near here that has a campground a couple miles out. I might coould do bicycle camping that way. Plus I justt don;t care to street ride bicycles too much. Rather bounce off the trees on some nice twisty singletrack.

Of course, my size, I'm already toting around more than most bicyclists would with the two weeks worth of gear.

Randy
post #28 of 30 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 4:18 am

don't do it

The LT riders handbook clearly states that,

"On no occasion should the LT rider consider camping"

The sleek design of the LT looks much better parked outside a 4* hotel. You also ge a better nights sleep.

Fat bikers bounce better
post #29 of 30 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 4:26 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
My wife and I found a great solution for going camping. We doubled our carrying capacity without buying a trailer. She rides her own bike. Voila! Problem solved.
My camping trip really got great when I sent the old lady the OTHER DIRECTION!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #30 of 30 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboybmw
The LT riders handbook clearly states that,

"On no occasion should the LT rider consider camping"

The sleek design of the LT looks much better parked outside a 4* hotel. You also ge a better nights sleep.
Where can I get a copy of the handbook, even a pirated copy? BMW riders are a funny group, ya know? From the outside, you;d think, "hey BMW, guess it comes with a pipe and smoking jacket", but the reality seems to be a bunch of people who really enjoy riding and going places. Sometimes camping, sometimes motel, but always riding and fellowship.

My trip to VIR last weekend was great. Camped out with other BMW riders (and one guy on a beautiful old Kaw 2 stroker). Hanging out and talking bikes and cornering lines. No loud pipes, no bar hops, no speed wheelie stories.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in