No real destination - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:36 am Thread Starter

No real destination

Just curious to know if others take rides like we do?
We, more often than not, plan our bi-weekly bigger rides very loosely...it normally goes like this: Aim at a region, head that way, stop to eat,pull out map(not yet GPSing) look for twisties w/changes in elevations that are at least somewhat heading in the correct direction. Go that way find a motel and do it again the next day.

Are we just disorganized or indecisive ??

Mike
I thought about after I PMed someone 'bout sats ride to invite and realized I had very little idea where we are going.

Last edited by shadowofshoe; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 8:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:45 am

Sounds like your doing right to me. Some longer trips need to be at least roughly planned. But, The rest should be the spur of the moment and follow the wind (or lack of hopefully) Sounds like you are a prime candidate for a gps. I think it would be a great asset to a rider/explorer like you.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

From Wiki

Mike,
My diagnosis:
"Wanderlust (Middle High German: wandern, to wander, and Lust, desire) is a German loanword. It is commonly defined as a strong desire to travel, or by having an itch to get out and see the world.[1] Some consider it to be a simple linguistic compound of wander and lust."

AND . . . you're on an LT as well!
Good Job!

I took a 90 mile spin last night after work into the Amish Country of NE OH and as dusk was approaching and the big road rats were probably going to start their crossings, I touched the HOME button on the GPS and enjoyed that journey as well.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Yeah Brian-
Having road a few weeks ago with someone who had a GPS make me left wanting-But he also had a Valentine-1 and I am leaning toward the V-1; my wife wants it (likes to go fast) . I might just get both.

Mike
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:23 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Yeah Brian-
Having road a few weeks ago with someone who had a GPS make me left wanting-But he also had a Valentine-1 and I am leaning toward the V-1; my wife wants it (likes to go fast) . I might just get both.

Mike
You will probably need both since you are like many of us... You are not sure where you are going, but you are going there fast!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Zippy-

WOW the truth is often hilarious !!!!
thanks for the outloud laugh!

Mike
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:28 am

Sounds like you're doing it right to me. The wife and I usually do something similar and normally head South and East as that's where we find the best (fun) roads here in Ohio and beyond. The LT is new to us and the first time we've used the GPS on the motorcycle. It's pretty neat to be able to scout roads in real time and we've found some dandies this way.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 4:41 pm

I can't think of one ride I 'planned', provided I did NOT have a particular purpose when I left the garage. I don't think people understand my answer to their question, "Going on vacation? Where are you going?"

My answer is usually West, or South, or some such statement.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 7:49 pm

I do this all the time. Except I can't stay at a hotel, have to high tail it back home that night. Im sure if you live in ohio you know about route 60. I can get on it not too far from my house. Sunday i went about 300 miles just on nice country roads in holmes county. You just have to watch out for buggies.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
I do this all the time. Except I can't stay at a hotel, have to high tail it back home that night. Im sure if you live in ohio you know about route 60. I can get on it not too far from my house. Sunday i went about 300 miles just on nice country roads in holmes county. You just have to watch out for buggies.
I'm familiar with Route 60 from Zanesville south; what a great stretch of road, with nice roads leading every which way. Check out the old mill that is now a small hotel, in Stockport.

Mike, I think you and I are the last 2 guys on this site who don't have a GPS. I'd like to have one, but other needs come first.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:58 am

Every year, Patti and I participate in a local riding club's "Rat Race." It's a season long road rally in which you try to ride to specific locations. You take a picture of you and/or your bike at said location and accumulate points during the year. Whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins a trophy and a small cash prize.

One year the list included, "Any lighthouse on the Great Lakes within Michigan." As you can imagine, there are a lot of lighthouses around here. Finding them and then planning a ride to get to them in some kind of logical order was quite a challenge. That year, I think I had 115 waypoints on the GPS and several routes.

That was a lot of planning and effort. We had a great riding season and covered a lot of ground. However normally, we just decide on a direction to go and ride. Where ever we end up is home for the night.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:50 pm

We've done a couple of roughly non-planned rides with friends. Just two or three bikes total. Any more than that, and people start getting fussy about where to go, when to get there, etc.

We've often set out with a plan to hit some place in particular, do that early, then kinda wander around after that. Sometimes we get sidetracked by an antique store, an oyster bar, or something equally interesting.

In fact, now that I think back, the weekend after Mrs. Juggler got her motorcycle license, we, on two bikes, met up with another couple, also on two bikes, for a short jaunt around town. We left the restaurant where we had breakfast at about 8:30. After buzzing a few suburbs over, we headed east about 15 or 20 miles. So far, so good. We got on the freeway. We ended up riding from Seattle all the way around Mt. Rainier. As we were approaching the park, I was contemplating how to get us in for the price of two cars rather than four "vehicles". It turned out it was "National Park Day" and entrance to the park was free. I think we got home about 8:30 that evening with sore butts, but pretty pleased with ourselves.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm familiar with Route 60 from Zanesville south; what a great stretch of road, with nice roads leading every which way. Check out the old mill that is now a small hotel, in Stockport.

Mike, I think you and I are the last 2 guys on this site who don't have a GPS. I'd like to have one, but other needs come first.
I'm without a GPS. I figure why need one. You can never get lost. You just explore places you weren't planning on going.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 6:47 am

I think you've got it just right. Non-planned, seat of the pants rides have always been my favorite. Keep on keepin' on!

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in