HD report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

HD report

Well,after switching back to an HD Roadglide,1 month 2000 miles.I'm definitely more comfortable.Yes,I've given up some performance and braking abilities,but at the end of a ride the old knees and hips feel great.Also nice not to have to worry about dropping.Frame mounted fairing works well in 25-30 mph crosswinds,still wear most of the gear all the time.I've got a 35 mi. ride to work past Ky Lake every day which is beautiful this time of year.Will def. have to invest in elec. gear come winter.New 96" motor and 6 speed tranny are awesome,70 mph in 6th am at 2600 rpm,just loafing along.So far am avging 44 mpg,bout the same as my 05 LT.Hope to see many of you at CCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:26 pm

And looking forward to seeing you at CCR!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Rich, good to hear that the HD is treating you well and that your bod is feeling better about riding. Looking forward to seeing you at CCR.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 3:04 pm

BTW, Tony's HD looks much, much better in person. Especially when I'm sitting on it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
BTW, Tony's HD looks much, much better in person. Especially when I'm sitting on it.
You improve it's looks? Does that mean compared to you it's good looking or having you on it distracts from the bike, kind of like a bad hair cut distracts you from an ugly face?

Btw, glad you are finding it easier to ride your new toy. Look forward to meeting you in August as well and the V-Stream is working out nicely.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #6 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
You improve it's looks? Does that mean compared to you it's good looking or having you on it distracts from the bike, kind of like a bad hair cut distracts you from an ugly face?

Btw, glad you are finding it easier to ride your new toy. Look forward to meeting you in August as well and the V-Stream is working out nicely.
Yes to both.

Easier? I've finally fallen in love. Ride her everyday rain or shine.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Yes to both.

Oh, that last part was for cap rich, but I'm looking forward to meeting you as well.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Yes to both.

Hmmmm. Should I ask if you are referring to the GT or S. the M.? Nah, better not.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRich
Well,after switching back to an HD Roadglide,1 month 2000 miles.I'm definitely more comfortable.
Well this is really interesting... I am still very new around here, but I joined to learn about the Luxury Touring Community and K1200GT in particular.

Funny thing is, I am trying to sell my Road Glide so I have room for the K12GT.

Today I was riding my R1100R Roadster (its for sale too) and was thinking that maybe I might be more comfortable on the Glide, since I just spent an hour chatting with a man you loves the GT but may sell it because it is uncomfortable for him. We are about the smae size too, 5'7" - short legs.

So, I take it you were on an LT previously and wonder what was it that gave you problems?

I looked at your profile and I am older than you by 7 years and been married longer too 42 years... and her comfort on a GT is a a major concern for me.

Please expand a little if you can, PM or email or here is fine with me, and thanks, you may have saved me making a huge mistake.
Bob

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:32 am Thread Starter

LT comfort,or lack there of

I just couldn't get comfy on my 05 LT.Wife is fine on both bikes.I tried all the mods that are available and still couldn't get the legs and hips comfortable.customs seat,MOP's,J pegs,and Ilium floorboards ,back rest.Just didn't fit.
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:18 am

I'm having the same problem as this is my first upright bike, all my others, I've been bent over. I'm having a hard time getting comfortable. Wife loves it though.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Hmmmm. Should I ask if you are referring to the GT or S. the M.?
Yes. You silly wabbit.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 3:48 pm

That's wascally wabbit to you!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 8:20 am

This thread is being very helpful to me in many ways. I am looking at adding a K12RS to my garage but do not want to make an expensive mistake.

Yesterday I rode an 04 K1200RS. It was in stock configuration ergonomically.
It was a 10 mile road test. Some local roads, some interstate, not any real twisties, not that it matters.

I was uncomfortable in two main ways, Too bent/leaning forward and too much weight on the handlebars. All this inducing stress on my wrists and back.

I have been trying to learn the Master Yoda Riding Position, from Dick Frantz's writings, but could not get close enough to the tank to take much/any pressure off the back and wrist. The bike was amazing though, but too painful to use in that configuration.

I know there are various bar back and risers but they mostly seem to be in the 1.5 inch range. This seems like not much change, and changes beyond that and we are talking new brake and clutch lines.
So, have you guys given up on the issue, is the 1.5 inch enough to gain relief, or is this just a "too hard" problem to try to solve?

Thanks.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in