IMPORTANT READ!! Group Buy Op--Please don't move, Moderators - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Exclamation IMPORTANT READ!! Group Buy Op--Please don't move, Moderators

Long story short, I switched neurologists a few weeks ago because I am still having unexplained pain and had an MR Angiogram--like an MRI but it looks only at the blood vessels in your brain. Arterial blood flow was fine (the tests can separate arterial and venous blood flow views), but the venous view turned up something really scary...a blood clot has knocked out the major veins in the right side of my head (i.e. major stroke or aneurism, they don't know if it was 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years ago).

Anyway, I'm all of 37 years old, and have been "sentenced" (hematologist's words) to coumadin anticoagulant therapy for the rest of my life. Better than another blood clot which could end up causing an arterial stroke (not good) or a pulmonary embolism (very bad). Downside is that the medication creates a "extended bleeding risk with injury or surgery" so I've had to buy all the medical alert bracelets and necklace, etc.

Why am I telling you all of this?

Well, top on the list of things they recommended I "give up" was motorcycling because of the risk of injury...but that ain't happening, so I started looking for something a LOT more visible than the small necklace that could be missed, especially under riding gear.

Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazines both had write-ups on this product in the last couple months, so I contacted the company a few weeks ago to inquire about the possibility of a group purchase.

http://www.resqtag.com

One of our preferred vendors sells a small, black adhesive version for your helmet...also labelled "do not remove helmet" which is a great option, too, but I like this one better because you can put all kinds of emergency contact information--even if you don't have any medical conditions.

I'm going to hang mine on the back of my helmet like a pony tail so it can't be missed and put a duplicate on each of my jackets, and make one my motorcycle keychain...also getting one for family members and a couple extras for friends...nice "hey, I got something for ya" thing to have...kinda' like ride bells and pins and stuff.

Here's the group purchase deal...

They are normally $12.99 each plus shipping/handling.

I'm going to order 50, and will post information on how to order them from me (I just need to figure out how much the envelope and postage will cost) in a day or two...I figure it's a safe bet that all 50 of these are going to sell so I won't get screwed on this deal.

I'm gonna' guess that the end cost per BMWLT.com member will be $7.99 and about $1.25 for the envelope and postage (U.S.).

Two attachments below...one a word doc with two pics of "this is your brain on blood clot" and the other a pic of the tag folded and unfolded.

Details to follow.

Be safe, everyone!

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag_progression.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	12378  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Arterial.doc (584.5 KB, 120 views)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Pete,

I have been following your story for a while and I admire your courage against this adversary. Best of luck and put me down for four of them.

Thanks

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:37 am

GREAT thang you do there, Pete. One of those 'slap forehead - damn, I coulda had a V8' moment.

I'll be looking for several of 'em - gotta friend or three whom I'm wanting to gift 'em to. Thanks - beeg thanks.

Best Regards

P.S. Coumadin got any flavor like carb cleaner or brake fluid?? Real sorry you're facing that for the long term, butt hey - I know you won't like the alternative!!

post #4 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:45 am Thread Starter

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
GREAT thang you do there, Pete. One of those 'slap forehead - damn, I coulda had a V8' moment.

I'll be looking for several of 'em - gotta friend or three whom I'm wanting to gift 'em to. Thanks - beeg thanks.

Best Regards

P.S. Coumadin got any flavor like carb cleaner or brake fluid?? Real sorry you're facing that for the long term, butt hey - I know you won't like the alternative!!

Nah, no flavor to the pills, but it makes me bruise at the drop of a feather...I have to keep telling people I'm not the victim of domestic violence, and have been invited to appear on Jerry Springer six times...

post #5 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:00 am

I'll Buy One...

Sorry to hear. Having spent 26 years on Coumadin I can certainly understand and empathize with the life change and exact risk you're taking. As you now know, even everyday bumps/bruises will be more acute so careful even when not riding.

FWIW, I did not stop riding either but took every precaution possible- good riding gear, always using headgear, MedAlert Necklaces/Bracelets, etc. I also used this on my helmets
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products....asp?Item=MICS
and a product similar to the one you're ordering on my jacket zipper.

I wish you all the best, ride very safely.

PS... Fortunately i'm now off Coumadin (for the past year) and don't have the same risk but continue with precautions as a matter of habit. Until you experience the effects of Coumadin it's hard to imagine how life changing it can be. Will be praying for ya!

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

post #6 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:05 am

Pete:
PM sent.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:20 am

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your condition and I admire your outlook on life. It is possible through diet and exercise along with the coumadin therapy to reverse this condition. Clots can be dissolved and the blood thinned naturally through diet alone. There are books and tons of stuff on the net that would be of great benefit. This condition can be reversed. In many cases it does not have to be a life long thing if you are willing to work at it and you sound like a fighter.
Good luck and our prayers are with you.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #8 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 2:25 pm

When I was road racing, the sanctioning body required all drivers to post medical information, including medications, allergies, and blood type, on your helmet.
Now that I've read this thread, I'm thinking about doing the same on my motorcycle helmet as well. Sometimes, having that info available to medical personnel quickly can make all the difference should the need arise.

Of course, that would preclude Mom from ever taking a ride on the bike. She wasn't all that crazy about me racing, either......

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #9 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Im in for 4 of em.....PM sent.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #10 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Pete, my friend, this is a good thing you are doing, goodonya. Put me down for ten of them.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Garage
Pete, I wish you well.

I'll take 10 for me and my pals.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 34 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Best wishes on this latest challenge; it sounds like you are on top of it. Good for you.

A group buy? You're a glutton for punishment! I'll take 2, please.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Arrow Ordering Info

I placed the order, they are being shipped to me Friday, which means I should be able to ship them to everyone else by next Friday...

I bought 100. Good news? Price break. Bad news? Once they are gone, they are gone, so don't wait (remember, they are $12.99 plus shipping normally)

$9.00 each will cover the tag and postage (continental U.S.--if you're outside the US, email me and we can figure something out).

Paypal account is [email protected]

if you want to send a check, email me at [email protected]

make sure you include your mailing address, and a phone number if you do a paypal "purchase."

Be safe everyone!

Pete

post #14 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:30 am

Pete:
PM sent for 6 tags.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:31 am

Pete, I was also on the Cumidian for almost four years. I have had a LOT of blood clot problems and have to deal with the damage caused by them. It is not a death sentence and my Dr. also said that I would never ride again. When I asked why he said that if I crash...well, would'nt a crash already hurt? I know that I have my limitations and my wife will still jump on the back of the bike and we will go places. It can be managed. I had more of a hard time just dealing with the diet and keeping my PT levels in range.

Best of luck on it...

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:46 am

ResQTag

PM sent for 4 units.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #17 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Rider Journeyman

Sent Paypal for 3 of them.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #18 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 4:20 pm

PM Sent

Paypal and PM sent for 4

THanks, Pete

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #19 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 5:34 pm

PM sent for 10

Thanks!!

x2 2005 K1200LT, 1999 R1100S. All 3 sold. No bikes currently...
post #20 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:18 pm

resqtag

PayPal sent for 2 tags
Thanks Pete

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #21 of 34 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 9:36 pm

PayPal sent for two of them. I will include address in paypal . I'm on Cumidian also and I'm still riding. Tough habit to break. Money coming your way.

Bill Schoppert
post #22 of 34 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 8:43 am

Put me in for 5. Paypal has my address. Thank you

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #23 of 34 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Pete,
Add me (2) to the list.

I have your info!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #24 of 34 Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Exclamation All Gone!!! No More!!

Everyone,

Thanks for the well-wishes (although that certainly wasn't the reason I started this thread, nor the reason for me putting "my money where my mouth was"). I joked with another member that there apparently are so many of us dealing with this that maybe a special pin or patch should be made...something like "We bleed to ride!"

Anyway, as of 11am, Monday June 18th, all 100 are now sold.

What makes me smile is that a lot of the purchases were for more than one, meaning that members were buying at least one for someone ELSE that they care about.

And isn't that what this is all about?

Ride safe, be safe.

Pete

post #25 of 34 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 7:13 am

Pete:
Thanks again for the buy. I got one each for my family, and a couple for friends. They are a great idea.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #26 of 34 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

UPDATE...shipping, etc.

the manufacturer was slow shipping the tags to me, I expect them in my hands tomorrow or wednesday, will put them in envelopes and send them the same day. I haven't cashed checks or transferred the paypal payments, sorry for the delays...

Pete

post #27 of 34 Old Jun 25th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
the manufacturer was slow shipping the tags to me, I expect them in my hands tomorrow or wednesday, will put them in envelopes and send them the same day. I haven't cashed checks or transferred the paypal payments, sorry for the delays...

Pete
Thanks for the update Pete... I

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #28 of 34 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

On their way!!!

Friends,

Received the tags, they are great--even include a small sticker that reads "Emergency Info on Zipper Pull" that you can put on your helmet!.

Packaged them and mailed today. Please give a week before worrying, between the flooding here in the DFW area and the already notoriously slow mail service for some reason (they'll have to fit the actual PONIES they use for the pony express here with water wings) it might take a couple extra days.

The following people have care packages on the way, if by chance you pay-pal paid me, or sent a check and your name is NOT on the list, please email me asap at [email protected]. I triple-checked my paypal account, and included the small handful of payments I received by snail mail, but there is always the off chance that I made a mistake.

I have a few left, but will wait a week to make sure I didn't miss anyone, then post in "Classifieds" for anyone still interested.

Pete

Packages sent to:
Tony Kay
Elton Marks
William Schoppert
Shawn Papinchock
Stephen Moore
David Kumler
Larry Kaiden
Gerry Renstrom
Paul Feldman
Mike Evans
Jim Anderson
John Zeiler
Dick Largen (have someone translate & write your info on it, Dick!)
Richard Novick
Bill Turner
Paul Mitchell
L. Carreras
J. Averill Townsend
Raymond Rau
Rob Van Brunt, Jr.
Jerod De Jong

post #29 of 34 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 2:34 pm

Quote:

Packages sent to:

Dick Largen (have someone translate & write your info on it, Dick!)
Cute, Pete! Real cute!! Hey, I kin write cursive pretty darn good; least a doctor oughta be able to read it.

Heck, he'll prolly think he wrote it!!!
post #30 of 34 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Cute, Pete! Real cute!! Hey, I kin write cursive pretty darn good; least a doctor oughta be able to read it.

Heck, he'll prolly think he wrote it!!!

Not worried about your handwriting, it's translating your "west Texan" into "uh-mer-uh-can english" to make sure they don't think you are a double-amputee, syphilitic, heart transplant recipient with HIV, an experimental spleen made out of gummy bears, a pacemaker for your prostate, and antibiotic-resistant ebola and flesh-eating bacteria.

You know, when you haven't had anything amputated...

post #31 of 34 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Not worried about your handwriting, it's translating your "west Texan" into "uh-mer-uh-can english" to make sure they don't think you are a double-amputee, syphilitic, heart transplant recipient with HIV, an experimental spleen made out of gummy bears, a pacemaker for your prostate, and antibiotic-resistant ebola and flesh-eating bacteria.

You know, when you haven't had anything amputated...

Hey, I had a nose bleed oncet!!!!!!!
post #32 of 34 Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:25 am

Resqtag

Does anybody know what happened to the Resqtag company. I went to order some of these but the website is down.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #33 of 34 Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine
Does anybody know what happened to the Resqtag company. I went to order some of these but the website is down.
I just used the link in the first post of this thread; worked like a charm.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #34 of 34 Old Sep 16th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Thumbs up 2 for me

Pete,

Great idea.

Put me down for 2.

I'll be watching this site for ordering info.

By the way.................I'll be including a $ for your efforts when I order.

Thanks,
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in