Wax Recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Wax Recommendations

I'll admit it. I am weak and spineless when it comes to my ability to resist yet another "miracle" wax or "amazing high tech" product designed to make my pride and joy look it just came out of the showroom. I am a sucker for the pitch men at bike and car shows who seem to be able to make the dullest, faded, decrepit painted or chromed surfaces look like they just came from the detailer's shop.

I've seen products with "nanotechnology", and others that claim you only need to apply the product once every 5 years or so....NOT!

So, the question remains....what wax or polish products have you found that really do the trick? And, please not those products that leave a white residue that is a PITA to remove from tiny crevices.

Help save my SO from rolling her eyes when I come home with yet another plastic bag with the latest and greatest, along with the 12 pack of applicators generously given to the first 3 suckers, er, marks to pony up a credit card for this MIRACLE OF SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY ONLY AVAILABLE AT THIS SHOW...

Sure!

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Maguires tech, wax..........
Available at any auto parts store minimum effort to use............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Hi, Paul -

Here's what works for me and ole Toad. It's by KleenMaster and is named Brillianize. Check out their website here. Normally found in a spray container. Word of warning (not that you ever would, butt..... ), don't use the stuff on any surface that you intend on painting anytime soon. Paint ain't gonna stick!! This is the only thang that I've ever used on ole Toad since '99. Used it on everythang 'cept the seats and tires and grips. Easy to apply and finish off - no residue visible.

Recently bought Cheryl an off-the-showroom Lexus; got it home and in the garage and with about 70 miles on it; got out the Brillianize bottle and some micro-fiber cloths and when I finished the windows, the body panels, and the wheels, it looked mo'better than it did standin' in the showroom lights.

Just my cent-and-a-half; love the stuff. Grif don't like the taste of it, butt then he prefers the flavor of brake fluid and carb cleaner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebish
I'll admit it. I am weak and spineless when it comes to my ability to resist yet another "miracle" wax or "amazing high tech" product designed to make my pride and joy look it just came out of the showroom. I am a sucker for the pitch men at bike and car shows who seem to be able to make the dullest, faded, decrepit painted or chromed surfaces look like they just came from the detailer's shop.

I've seen products with "nanotechnology", and others that claim you only need to apply the product once every 5 years or so....NOT!

So, the question remains....what wax or polish products have you found that really do the trick? And, please not those products that leave a white residue that is a PITA to remove from tiny crevices.

Help save my SO from rolling her eyes when I come home with yet another plastic bag with the latest and greatest, along with the 12 pack of applicators generously given to the first 3 suckers, er, marks to pony up a credit card for this MIRACLE OF SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY ONLY AVAILABLE AT THIS SHOW...

Sure!

post #4 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Im a Zaino guy....use it on all my rides.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #5 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Im a Zaino guy....use it on all my rides.

F
+1, best stuff on the market.
post #6 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:12 pm
Old Dawg

+2 on Zaino

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #7 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:28 pm

I haven't bought anything new in years, been mixing all the half bottles of miracle stuff bought over the years & using them up. Haven't come up with a mixure that removes paint yet, all seem to do the same thing.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #8 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Gee, I just scrap off the bugs every 6 months or so, and shoot on some Hondaline polish.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebish
...So, the question remains....what wax or polish products have you found that really do the trick? And, please not those products that leave a white residue that is a PITA to remove from tiny crevices....
Let me add to the confusion. Many people mistakenly think that waxing is what makes a car or bike look good. While it's true that a quick coat of wax will make a car shine for a while, it's polish that really makes paint look sharp.
The downside is that polish doesn't last and needs to be applied much more often.

The best advice I can give you is to avoid the tiny crevices. There is no need to get the product on every square inch. If you are careful applying the product, it will be much easier to remove and you avoid the residue in the crevices.

This site will give you more information than you really need:
http://autopia.org/

I use Meguiars Show Car Glaze #7

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048

Last edited by KayGee; Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:17 pm.
post #10 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 5:34 pm

+1 on the NXT tech wax. I used to be a Zaino guy, but for the 1/3 the money, I think the NXT looks and lasts just as good. If you have a dark paint, the #9 swirl remover, followed by the NXT is about as good as I have been able to produce, Zaino or not.

2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Remus/Rhinewest Combo

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." (George Orwell, 1984)
post #11 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Just read the label on an old can of Meguiar's Gold. Says you should wash it before waxing.

Somehow, methinks you all are spending WAY too much time washing your bikes . I figure the layer of grunge on the last coat of wax I dripped on is what's protecting it all.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 37 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 7:17 pm

wife just bought turtle wax ICE used it on all the black plastic it shines like new, did the whole bike bug dont even stick to it I LIKE IT
post #13 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:52 am

I might get blasted for this but I have been using Nu Finish (the stuff in the bright orange bottle) for a while now. I have tried Cycle Care products and S100 and the best I have found is this cheap bottle of polish and apply about twice a year at the most.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:16 am

Resist the urge to buy....

Simply put an extra quarter in at the car wash and flip the switch to "wax"

ahem...I shouldn't give up ALL my secrets.

Once in awhile I'll use the S100 stuff too just for grins.

People still think my 02 with over 85K miles on it is new!! I attribute that to the awesome paint they put on these things to begin with.
post #15 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:24 am

Nu Finish is good stuff and easy on, easy off.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #16 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:36 am

The main thing in my experience is to clean the surfaces very well and apply the polish/wax in the shade (cool) using 100% cotton towels to apply and buff. Immediately before waxing (but not between wax jobs) use a dishwashing liquid like Dawn or Joy to remove old wax. Liquid polish/wax combos work well for me.
post #17 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:09 pm

A can of Lemon Pledge and a microfibre cloth work for me. Pure lemon oil on road tar spots. Only water on the windshield.

Ray
post #18 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:51 pm

Wash - Wax- rub off - Extra coat of Wax

In Florida, especially during the love bug season (it was just over and lasts about 2-3 weeks) I wash it well (do this about once every 6 months) and then use just about any wax that is around (lately it is Turtle Wax) and then add another coat of wax on all front surfaces, but don't remove it.

Love bugs won't stick and easily rinse off with a little water or a blast of the hose. It is not the prettiest sight, but really comes clean.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #19 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 3:19 pm
fas

Talking wax

Mother's Three Step System, if you are anal like me.

When the man came to buy my old LT he could not believe it was four years old.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #20 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 4:31 pm

Maguires

Hey Paul,

I have a few "Before" pictures of your bike from last Sunday's ride down to The Maple Leaf Pancake House. Once you decide which wax to use, we can compare pics.

For what its worth, I have used Maguires for a long time on both my bikes and cars and have got a lot of positive comments. I occasionally use Turtle Wax with almost the same results, for a quarter of the price. Which ever you decide on, remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions to a tee.

It was really great meeting with you and hope to do another R.T.E. soon.

Ride safe and keep well,

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043
post #21 of 37 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Just started using the new Turtle Wax Ice system. So far I really like this stuff, no white residue and easy wipe off. I even tried it in direct sun with no problems

Tim Reed
02 Toscana Green "The Toad"
post #22 of 37 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 1:14 am

WHAT? You people really wax and clean your bike?

Doug
post #23 of 37 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Wax THIS!

Oops...must have stumbled into a Harley thread.

If you got time to wax your bikes.....you have enough time for a ride!

Ron
post #24 of 37 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 2:54 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Turtle Wax

+1 for Turtle Wax... Consumer reports did an article on it awhile back and it was number one or two. Its cheap, easy to use and comes off fast...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #25 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 9:43 am

clean and polish the whole bike use Plexus best stuff I ever found even love bugs dont stick.
post #26 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:22 am

Lemon Pledge for the "in-between" detail sessions. I usually detail the bike once a year when I do a complete wax strip, rewax and polish with Mequires products. I use Pledge the rest of the year.

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #27 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:57 am

Here's another one for Brillianize, also works great on windshields, faceshields, etc. Bugs come off alot easier also!
Larry
post #28 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:17 pm

Spray on can

Hi Paul:
Cycle city on burlington has a spray on product, which I purchased for the windshield and all of the plastic parts. Too lazy right now to go to the garage to get the name, but it works very well and is really easy to use.
I'll PM you with the name a little later.
Spray on, wait 30 seconds, wipe off. All the plastic including the windshield, shines and is real slippery to the touch.
About $10.

JS
post #29 of 37 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:42 am

Crystal Glo here.

Fairly new product on market "Crystal Glo". Its made in Canada and I love it. No white powder residue, easy on and off. I think its a clear acrylic. Leaves a wet look shine and it lasts. I use it on the bikes and cars.
post #30 of 37 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 1:12 am

+1 for the 3-step process. It is a must if you want to keep the black (or other dark colors) looking good.

First I use Maguires Paint Cleaner, then Zymol Polish and finally Maguires #26 Carnuba Wax.

Lot of bodywork on the LT. It will take some time ...but the finish will last a long time. I do the 3-step twice a year and then just apply Maguires Spray Wax (spray on and wipe off) to keep it glossy from time to time.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #31 of 37 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 5:02 pm

Plexus

Hi Paul:

Just came back from the garage installing another pair of 55w lights on top side of tip over wings.
Plastic cleaner that I mentioned yesterday is called PLEXUS.
Works wonderfully on everything but haven't tried it on tires or the rims.
post #32 of 37 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 6:57 pm

Thumbs up better than wax

I agree with Dick. I found brillianize at work,with nothing better to do , I tried it on my bike.Now I use nothing else. Spray it on , buff until dry. It makes the shield look like new, It also repels dust so the surface stays cleaner longer.
post #33 of 37 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Paul -

Here's what works for me and ole Toad. It's by KleenMaster and is named Brillianize. Check out their website here. Normally found in a spray container. Word of warning (not that you ever would, butt..... ), don't use the stuff on any surface that you intend on painting anytime soon. Paint ain't gonna stick!! This is the only thang that I've ever used on ole Toad since '99. Used it on everythang 'cept the seats and tires and grips. Easy to apply and finish off - no residue visible.

Recently bought Cheryl an off-the-showroom Lexus; got it home and in the garage and with about 70 miles on it; got out the Brillianize bottle and some micro-fiber cloths and when I finished the windows, the body panels, and the wheels, it looked mo'better than it did standin' in the showroom lights.

Just my cent-and-a-half; love the stuff. Grif don't like the taste of it, butt then he prefers the flavor of brake fluid and carb cleaner!!

Dick: How does one get Brillianize? I went to the site in your link but I did not find a way to order online. There is a listing if dealers. Do you have to buy through a dealer? Thanks.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #34 of 37 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
Dick: How does one get Brillianize? I went to the site in your link but I did not find a way to order online. There is a listing if dealers. Do you have to buy through a dealer? Thanks.

Ray
I think you can still order direct, Ray. Several folks over the years have done so, and some have ordered the micro-fibre towels that Kleenmaster sells. My dealer does sell Brillianize over the counter, butt doesn't stock the towels. I'll see if I can find some paper work where I ordered from Kleenmaster and hope that'll tell us how to order. Stay tuned.
post #35 of 37 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60

Ray
Here ya go, Ray. BTW - Bruce Yates wuz the one who turned me on to the micro-fibre towels. Sent me a bale full, and they're great. I ordered more and use 'em elsewhere in addition to ole Toad. Keeps Cheryl's cage sparklin'!!

Good luck.
post #36 of 37 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Thank you very much.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #37 of 37 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
wife just bought turtle wax ICE used it on all the black plastic it shines like new, did the whole bike bug dont even stick to it I LIKE IT
I recently bought the ICE for my cars, and absolutely LOVE IT! First time ever I have found something that works on the black plastic and rubber parts to make them look new, and leaves NO visible residue. Easy to use, and really shines up the car. Now to see just how long it lasts. If I get 3 months out of it, it will be my new wax of choice.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in