"Wife Beater" motorcycle safety gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

"Wife Beater" motorcycle safety gear

Just left the house to go out for lunch and drove up on a motorcycle accident. Seems like I have happened onto a lot of motorcycle wrecks in the last year.

Anyway, it was a couple on a Harley. Both laying lifeless in the middle of the street. Looks like a 1/2 ton PU turned left in front of them. The front front fairing was caved in, but the forks and wheel were not broke... so I would assume a relatively low speed impact... where safety gear would have made a lot of difference.

His safety gear:
White wife beater t-shirt, denim jeans and boots.

Her safety gear:
Tank top, denims and sandals.

Seeing these wrecks is what keeps me motivated to wear my gear. I had quit wearing my protective pants because I had gained weight and mine were too tight... I will order a larger size before the day is over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Good reminder Dean. Thanks

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 2:03 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Yes Dean a good reminder. I was asked in another thread the other day how I could ride in all my gear? my responce was "You get use to it and I wear a 2 Lt. Camelback". This wreak is why I wear gear.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Ted

helmets?? in any event, it's ironic how image and "lifestle" causes death.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 3:52 pm

HELMET makes all the difference (besides road rash, which is why I never ride without proper gear from head to toe).

My best friend died (No helmet) from crashing at just 10 mph.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 3:59 pm

It's a choice to wear or not to wear safety gear.

I will say that riding (and hanging out) with some of you bmwlt folks has me wearing the gear most of the time. My local friends don't see how I do it in the summer time.

Anyway, it's your choice to "wear" or "not to wear"!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998

I will say that riding (and hanging out) with some of you bmwlt folks has me wearing the gear most of the time. My local friends don't see how I do it in the summer time.
I ride with people sometime that do not even wear a helmet. When I get on the bike at 97 degrees with helmet, gloves, jacket and pants, I have to say it takes a deep down dedication. I have been able to hold on to my determination partly because of the accidents I have happened upon, or in one case, by actually witnessing a low speed accident where the poor guy was scratched from head to toe.

One thing I hear a lot of riders around here say is "helmets won't help most of the time anyway". Reminds me of the same crap I remember hearing when they first started enforcing seat belt use. It really p#@@%@ me off to hear someone say that... because a lot of people are easy to convince with less than credible information that they do not need to wear a helmet.

Anyway, kudos to all of you guys that endure the heat and sweat. I don't think I have ever heard of a single rider that went down that said "I sure wish I hadn't been wearing all that safety gear".... but we have all heard the opposite story.
post #8 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Oh yeah, you ought to see what they wear down here,

Because of my "job" I'm on the beach blvds every day
which is where the Harley's like to cruise.
The "norm" is flip/flops shorts and tank tops,
that's scary considering the pavement (besides being hard)
will burn you if you just walk on it with bare feet.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 7:47 pm
D_R

I work in a military operations center where I review all sorts of reports and information for briefing to higher ups. Now that summer's here, it's amazing the number of motorcycle accident reports which are coming in daily.

Of all the reports, it appears only ten percent are doing things right, i.e. ATGATT, not speeding, not drinking, completed safety course, properly licensed, so-on-and-so-forth.

The other 90 percent, in simple terms, appear to be from "young and stupid" in one form or another.
post #10 of 49 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Yep and "He chose poorly" should be engraved on his headstone.
post #11 of 49 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
His safety gear:
White wife beater t-shirt, denim jeans and boots.

Her safety gear:
Tank top, denims and sandals.
I was out riding this weekend. It was HOT. I saw several couples riding. Their "safety gear" included skull caps, shorts, and flip flops. The males were shirtless and the females wore tank tops.
post #12 of 49 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer
The males were shirtless and the females wore tank tops.
It should have been the other way 'round. Or should it?
post #13 of 49 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:36 am

People never believe me that I am just as cool (if not COOLER) with my gear on than those fools in shorts sleaves. My Olympia gear breathes very well, and allows for controlling (slowing) evaporation of sweat; thereby maximizing the cooling effect. People with short/short sleaves get NO cooling effect from their perspiration - it just blows off of them.

If it's real hot, say 90 or above, my cooling vest under the jacket kicks *ss.

Proper gear on a bike works just like robes in the desert...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 49 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 1:50 pm

I live and ride in Fl. In this state safe gear is up to the rider not the law. Good or bad that is the way it is. I ride as often as I can. I ride to work and I ride for fun. On weekends is when I see the least safe gear being used. On weekdays most people use their safe gear. When I meet people and when they learn how much I ride some of them will tell me how unsafe it is to ride. I guess it is because they care about me and are only tring to help. I try to tell them as nice as I can that riding a motorcycle is only as unsafe as you let it be. A well made pair of boots that fit and you enjoy, a jacket that is made for motorcycle riding, a helmet that fits well so you will wear it, gloves that will help if needed ( when I see the fingerless gloves I just can't understand ) I also wear glasses in side the helmet. I am almost to the point of getting a pair of pants for the motorcycle soon.
Is the gear hot, sometimes yes. Does it take more time to put on, yes. While I put the gear on I think about the ride and can put my head in the right spot.One thing I have never said is I wish that I didn't have on my gear. I have heard people say that they wish that they had wore the gear.
Anyway I am getting older and as the wife says the more I cover up the better I look. and the best safe gear is between your ears.
Kola1
post #15 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 7:08 am

How's this for safety gear?

Just back from Americade and after reading this thread, I thought I'd share this picture I snapped on Canada Street Friday night. They weren't the only ones, but they were the only ones that I actually got a picture of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave's Ride 2007 Footwear.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	12376  

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

Last edited by dlbushey; Jun 12th, 2007 at 7:09 am. Reason: I need to learn how to use spell check!
post #16 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:55 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Just back from Americade and after reading this thread, I thought I'd share this picture I snapped on Canada Street Friday night. They weren't the only ones, but they were the only ones that I actually got a picture of.
At least they are wearing full face helmets!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:07 am
IBR# 366

Garage
No More "Wife Beaters"

Y'all have covered the ATGATT aspects, and the poor choices made by some folks whether due to lack of info, trying to be "cool", or just plain denial.

But I did want to ask if we can all please stop using the term "Wife Beater" to describe a male wearing a tank top. The term is derogatory, extremely offensive, and should be stopped, much the same as those who actually fit that particular description should be stopped.

It's basically like calling a stiff white collar a "child molester", and assuming that anyone who wears one is one.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:19 am
Ted

just for the record, the term doesn't offend me, but then again, I don't wear them.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 2:08 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Y'all have covered the ATGATT aspects, and the poor choices made by some folks whether due to lack of info, trying to be "cool", or just plain denial.

But I did want to ask if we can all please stop using the term "Wife Beater" to describe a male wearing a tank top. The term is derogatory, extremely offensive, and should be stopped, much the same as those who actually fit that particular description should be stopped.

It's basically like calling a stiff white collar a "child molester", and assuming that anyone who wears one is one.
A wife beater actually now refers to the tank top and no longer to the actual dude wearing it. I had a girlfriend who looked real hot in her "wife beaters".
More here: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...379880888.html

I doubt anyone on this forum would condone wife beating.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #20 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 2:13 pm

Quote:

I wear sleeveless T-shirts in the summer. Is it okay to call them "Wife Harassers?"

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #21 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
[QUOTE=zippy_ggI doubt anyone on this forum would condone wife beating.[/QUOTE]Agreed. But words can be powerful weapons, and used carelessly they can do a lot of damage. Maybe this will simply go the way of "nigger." That used to be the most offensive thing you could say to a black person, until they took the word in, used it amongst themselves, and thus made it almost a term of pride. That effectively deflated the original meaning and now they pretty much own the word.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
just for the record, the term doesn't offend me, but then again, I don't wear them.
I don't wear them either, but would my white collar analogy above offend you? After all, you have a wife and kids to care for.

I fear we're just seeing the effects of the Jerry Springer generation at work. Two steps forward, one step back. Sigh.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Ken, you bring up a good point, yet I fear that you are definitely swimming up stream on this effort. It's a valiant effort, but I think it will be tough to change this.

I think the usage comes from the stereotype itself: It seems that every guy who appears on TV or in the newspaper for a domestic violence arrest is dressed that way. I live in a rural part of Ohio; other similar/related stereotypes are "white trash" and "trailer trash". I think Jeff Foxworthy has covered these pretty well in his "You might be a Redneck if..." routines. The reality is, I can drive a few minutes down the road and find beat-up mobile homes with a car (or two) on blocks in the front yard, a fridge and couch on the porch, broken windows, and 7 "yard apes" (another stereotype) playing with matches outside.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #24 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:13 pm

Talking

I don't condone wife beating (with the obvious exceptions ) any more than I condone wearing wife beaters .
I think we've just found ourselves a white Al Sharpton
Quit being so dam sensitive.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #25 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:53 pm
King of the Castle

Can we all agree that ex-wife beating is ok??

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

post #26 of 49 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanugo

Agreed

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

post #27 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:13 am
Ted

Quote:
would my white collar analogy above offend you? After all, you have a wife and kids to care for.
Since you asked, no, it did not offend me, either. First, let me say I was born Catholic, but I am not a practicing Catholic, mainly because I feel the Catholic Church is way behind the times on many issues. And, speaking of Catholic white collars, only, (since they can not marry) I believe this has a way of attracting a certain kind of individual who is more prone to non-traditional forms of sexual behavior. Quite frankly, as long as this does not involve minors I really could care less, but what I have a problem with is the Catholic Church's double-standard regarding homosexuality, and it's historical cover-up of child molestations. This is another other reason why I am not a practicing Catholic. And, I have even more reasons, but I'm trying to keep this brief!

This is not to say I do not believe in God, which I do, and which I know you do not. That does not offend me, either.

So there we are.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

post #28 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:30 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Fair enough, Ted. I appreciate the honest response.

And I enjoyed having lunch with you and Fawn in Cambria. Wish we'd had more time to chat, or maybe even go for a ride. Another time, perhaps.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #29 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:30 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Quit being so damn sensitive.
You know, somehow I don't think that'll happen.

It may well be an upstream effort at times, but it's just who I am.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:59 am
Ted

Yes - we enjoyed lunch w/ you and Dale, too. Two of our three are leaving this Saturday for 5-weeks (oldest begins HS freshman football practice this Monday), so if you are around the next 5-weeks will be the best time for us to go for a ride. Work has been a bit slow lately, too, so I could break away M-F for a few hours, also.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

post #31 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:20 pm

What's the first thing the little woman does when she get's home from the battered women's shelter ?

The F$#@&ing dishes if she knows what's good for her.

Now that there is a wife beater.

And NO, I am not politically correct.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #32 of 49 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
A wife beater actually now refers to the tank top and no longer to the actual dude wearing it. I had a girlfriend who looked real hot in her "wife beaters".
More here: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...379880888.html

There's also the reciprocal Boy Beater for the ladies.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #33 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:58 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

And while were stopping: how about stop referring to these type of events as "accidents!" The driver of the pickup didn't "accidently" turn in front of the M/C. He was no illegal turn virgin! He's been driving with his head up his ass for years. Just so happens that this time the other party couldn't stop in time. The M/C riders knew damn well that "head up ass" was out there--trying to take them out. They choose not to dress defensively. Accident--hardly! This was a collision. Death was a certainty!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 1:17 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
I don't condone wife beating (with the obvious exceptions ) any more than I condone wearing wife beaters ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
What's the first thing the little woman does when she get's home from the battered women's shelter? The F$#@&ing dishes if she knows what's good for her. Now that there is a wife beater. And NO, I am not politically correct.
I'm hearing a classic Sam Kennison routine....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #35 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 5:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Ted, I'm still stuck working up in Portland for the duration. But we will be in Grants Pass this weekend at WCR. You could always pop up and say hi.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #36 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 5:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
And while were stopping: how about stop referring to these type of events as "accidents!" . . . Accident--hardly! This was a collision.
I'm so with you on this one.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #37 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:32 am

A new CCR theme? Wife beater night. Wear a wife beater and get a free drink.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #38 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:47 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'll drink to that!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #39 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Who the heck is Sam Kennison ?

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #40 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Sam Kinison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfi4s8cjLFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEsF_...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Gjy...elated&search=

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #41 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:54 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Who the heck is Sam Kennison ?
Just a pee-on, like me......BUT, a very funny one!

post #42 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 8:41 pm
King of the Castle

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes......Nothing you've told her twice! It's a joke ok.

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

post #43 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Quote:
I'd think that would be the Chairskin's prerogative, no?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #44 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'd think that would be the Chairskin's prerogative, no?
Why, no. Akshooly, I do what I'm told. Wife beater can mean the woman taking the action, too. Now, if the gal's that populate CCR want a wife beater night, I would be the first to step up with a hearty, "yes, ma'am"! Where's Gilda when I need her?

Dayem, Howard! You reckon I'm being sensible, or a coward?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #45 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Dayem, Howard! You reckon I'm being sensible, or a coward?
You're being smart!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #46 of 49 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Quote:

Thank GOD we have someone like our feminist friend Nanny Ken to keep us all politically correct and on the path toward an enlightened world.

I've never heard that term before - and I guess it is somewhat funny. Certainly redneck crude, but "extremely offensive"? Give me a break....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #47 of 49 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I've never heard that term before - and I guess it is somewhat funny. Certainly redneck crude, but "extremely offensive"? Give me a break....
Come to South Tejas. The term is ancient, the apparel prevalent, and the shirt an accepted form of daily wear. My ex son in law wears them daily in his mobile car cleaning and detailing bidness. Nobody even looks twice here, nor thinks anything is weird about the term. It's a cultural thang. You can walk into any Walmart and ask where the wife beater's are and an eyebrow won't be raised.

What's next? The term, "pachuco", not being pc?

I love the Mexican culture. Well, I guess I should, I've been brought up in it where the whites are a minority. The Mexican's are a more accepting, loving and life living bunch. La familia comes first and if you're friendly to them, it will be reciprocated with open arms.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #48 of 49 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:11 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Quote:
I'll drink to that!
If it's an ICE COLD Guinness, I'm down!

post #49 of 49 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:15 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
I love the Mexican culture. Well, I guess I should, I've been brought up in it where the whites are a minority. The Mexican's are a more accepting, loving and life living bunch. La familia comes first and if you're friendly to them, it will be reciprocated with open arms.
Ight!.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in