Too Tall Bike Help-Questions K12GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

Too Tall Bike Help-Questions K12GT

OK, here is the deal- we went over to the dealership this morning to sit on the K12GT... raining too hard for test ride. She liked the passenger seating pretty good, but I found it was still an inch or so higher than I thought comfortable.

I would hate to drop it with her on board, and since I was tippy-toe sort of, actually balls of feet down- it was not like I was totally confident.

The 2004 vintage GTs are probably the same height and the seat was in the low position.

What can be done, within a reasonable way to lower this bike? Or adjustments to my head to make it feel better? I have the R1100R bike but it is lower by that inch.

There must be some wizard tricks out there... Help!

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 3:05 pm

BMW makes a lower seat and I think it is at no cost when you order a bike. Ask your dealer!
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

I should have been more clear. I am looking at a used K12GT, but went to sit on a new one because that is what they have.

I suppose I could look at a BMW low heated seat.. I'll check that out.
thanks

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Real Solution...

The seats totally suck on the GT and you WILL get a custom one built if you ride it on day trips. If you get a custom seat, they can build you a lower one. You can get a custom made from your stock seat so that you will use your pan and heater and for just the font seat, it can cost around $250. That's what a local custom seat maker charged me for one seat.

K
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

thanks K, about how much lower do you think it went?

2014 R1200RT WC

post #6 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 4:04 pm

I did not lower mine. I was told that they can lower or rise them depending on the needed fit. Find a place that modifies our seat (custom seat) and talk to them. Search this site for "custom seat" and you will find all the companies that make them. Also call your local BMW dealer and ask who makes a good one in your area.

Ken
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
... I was tippy-toe sort of, actually balls of feet down- it was not like I was totally confident...
Tippy-toe is fine! Go for it!

To give you an idea, I am just 5'6", 160 lbs. As you can see below, I ride both the Light Truck and the 'RS, similarly framed to the GT. Mainly by myself, but also occasionally with my wife on the pillion on both bikes.

I also have done lenghty tours on board of the new-style '07 GT, as well as on the fairly tall R1150/1200RT's.

Confidence comes down to being familiar and used to the bike. Once you build up some mileage and are acquainted with the machine, holding it up with your toes is not an issue.

When I really want to get better grip, I simply slide forward when rolling to a stop. The narrower section of the seat right by the tank lets me get both my feet down.

Unless you are much shorter, I do not see why you would have a problem with the stock sizing. Besides, modifying suspension to drop the bike has to affect handling - I'd worry.

Hope this helps.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:29 am

Lightbulb

Alternatively you can add some thickness to the soles of your boots, and perhaps 1/2 inch is all you need to feel comfortable.

Try to borrow some Harley boots as they tend to have very thick soles, and see how you feel on the bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
I was tippy-toe sort of, actually balls of feet down- it was not like I was totally confident.
Was that with passenger on board? Unless she's wispy thin, that's good for at least a little bit of compression on the rear spring. Also check the suspension settings - you can adjust the preload down and that will reduce ride height a little. My GT has ESA and you can watch the bike move when you change the preload setting.

All else fails, +1 on the low seat option and the custom seat you will end up with eventually

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in