Reserve gas? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Reserve gas?

Here is a silly sounding question. My manual for my R1150RT says that the tank has a gallon (or so) reserve. Where is the valve? Every bike I ever owned (many, but never a BMW before) has had an on/off/reserve valve on the left side, below the tank. The Beemer only has fairing there.

Is there realy a reserve, or are they refering to the low fuel light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:06 pm

BMWs have an automatic reserve. When the fuel light comes on, start looking for a gas station. And if you're in the middle of New Mexico and that light comes on, lower the windshield all the way, tuck in, and set the cruise at 60mph. Don't ask me how I know!!! (I did the same freakin' thing in Wyoming two years ago on the LT. What an IDIOT!)
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:55 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepawa
They mean the low fuel light. Your RT holds 6.2 gallons. The light should come on when there is aprox 1 gallon left...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
... an automatic reserve ... start looking for a gas station...
The "reserve" is a warning light based on fuel-level sender. As a matter of fact, according to some post here, it can be recalibrated by your friendly dealer.

On the other hand, this could be way worse. A few years back I toured in Europe on a rental R1150R.

No fuel gauge! If you lost track of mileage, you were due to be surprised by the red warning light. And nobody really knew what was the remaining range - certainly an exciting situation.

Needless to say, this was "negative advertising". I'd never buy such bike!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 1:08 am
D_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepawa
Here is a silly sounding question. My manual for my R1150RT says that the tank has a gallon (or so) reserve. Where is the valve? Every bike I ever owned (many, but never a BMW before) has had an on/off/reserve valve on the left side, below the tank. The Beemer only has fairing there.

I have 2005 R1200RT (7.1 gallons with one gallon reserve)... don't know if it differs much from the R1150RT.

I've twice now (on-purpose) run my fuel gage all the way down (no more pixels showing on the electronic fuel gauge) to get a better feel for just when my warning light comes on and how much fuel I would have left in my tank.

Both times I found out the warning light came on approximately after burning 5 gallons (I estimated this based on my MPG and indicated mileage when the light came on). With no more pixels showing on the gauge (followed by immediate fill-up) my tank took 6 gallons and 6.1 gallons respectively.

My conclusion is the warning light and the gauge monitor the normal amount of fuel and not the reserve (for my motorcycle at least). Either way, I usually look for a gas station when down to 1/8 left on the gauge.
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 3:47 am

The good ol' tripometer

FWIW, even though most of these bikes have a gas gauge and computer telling you how many miles you have left, I still continue to use the "tripometer method". When my GT hits 200 miles on the tripometer, I start getting interested in finding a gas station. And with the new GT having 2 tripometers, I use Trip 1 for my gas purposes, and Trip 2 for anything else.
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 1:21 pm

You would be surprised at how many people do not zero out tripmeter between fill ups these days. Before gas gages this was the only way to know when the need for gas was near. Many times I ride with guys that don't have any idea how many miles they have left in their tanks. Went on a ride with a buddy with a ST1300 before leaving I asked him if he needed fuel and his reply was ( I have five bars showing i have plenty) he ended dropping out without telling anyone else. Of coarse he was in the sweep position. Needles to say he has not been called on for anymore rides. We did stop twice and he was asked if he needed fuel both times. Zero out the trip meter just in case the light bulb burns out on the low fuel indicator.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 2:27 pm
swb

Remember this (or what I've figured out on my '91LT): the odometer is electric. So when I blew a fuse I lost tract of mileage, odometer was not working.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 2:01 am

Since fuel injection is on most new bikes, the old run out of gas and switch over systems are not practical, just warning systems.

Gary T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in