Going to the Sun Hwy Closed??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:35 am Thread Starter
was

Going to the Sun Hwy Closed???

I was just on the ADVRider site and came across this post:
"We were camping in Glacier just last week. The Rd to the Sun is usually open in late June because of the heavy snowfall. However this year it might not be open 'til late August because of a really bad landslide on the western side of the road. A whole section of the road was washed out in November during some heavy rainfall and needs to be rebuilt from scratch. If you have been on this road you know this will not be an easy (or cheap) undertaking."

Can't find anything on the official website. Anybody have any info, confirmatory or not? Thanks. Gonna post this in Rocky Mountain forum as well.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:49 am

It appears that the middle section of the road is currently closed. You can see the current road status here. No mention of the landslide though.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:49 am

Cool No SUN?

I hope this is bad info. Already have plans to be there on the !2th of July. Any updates please post.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:12 pm

last week I was supposed to go there and decided not to because the road is definetly closed. Sorry... Huge landslide. I think I went to the Montana dot site and found the info there.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Glacier

last June I rode from Kentucky to Going to the Sun road in the middle of June. Rode around Glacier to the west entrance and got up the next morning to ride Going to the Sun Road. It was 30 degrees and pouring rain. Put on all my gear (non-heated) and started up the road. Could not see a thing for all the rain and fog. Road was closed about 16 miles up so I turned around and was going to ride around to the east side and ride up the other side. By the time I got around the other side, I was too cold. I still had 4-5 hours to ride Route 2 to Havre, Mt. I was real disappointed that I did not get to see anything but I did ride Going to the Sun road at least part way. Trip was still good as we enjoyed the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Tetons, Beartooth Pass etc..
Hope to ride out there again someday. I was warned that the weather up in the great northwest can be cold in the middle of summer. I tried!!!

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Here are two links with some details. Looks like they're hoping to have it open by July 1 ...

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...704010305/1002

http://dailyinterlake.com/articles/2...ews/news02.txt

I'm heading out to Glacier NP after the BMW MOA rally... just a minor detour on my way back to Florida

Sure hope they have it open by then.

John
'02 K1200LT
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Summer in Montana

Did Glacier Park and the Road five years ago the second week of August. It was a gorgeous ride for the first half (west side), but close to the top it began to fog in. We stopped at the Logan Pass visitor's center for a few minutes...long enough for the fog to turn to snow.

Good luck to anyone taking on Going to the Sun....it truly is spectacular. But there is no way to guarantee a nice day up there.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanek
Here are two links with some details. Looks like they're hoping to have it open by July 1 ...

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...704010305/1002

http://dailyinterlake.com/articles/2...ews/news02.txt

I'm heading out to Glacier NP after the BMW MOA rally... just a minor detour on my way back to Florida

Sure hope they have it open by then.

John
'02 K1200LT
Excellent news, many thanks for the links. I'm astonished that the official website has nothing about this, just a daily report of snowplowing info. Poor decision on the part of officials, IMHO, people need to know about stuff like this as they make plans. I routed my trip down out of Canada just to take the Hwy, on July 6. I'll re-route and stay in Canada along Crows Nest Hwy; I doubt the park is going to get the bridge in place by early July AND complete all the other stuff they have to do.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
It appears that the middle section of the road is currently closed. You can see the current road status here. No mention of the landslide though.
This is a link to the official web site and does mention the road closing.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:10 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
This is a link to the official web site and does mention the road closing.
Yep, been monitoring that off and on for weeks. And yep, it does mention the road being closed. For Snowplowing. Standard operating procedure, they do this every year and have daily updates on where the snowplow crews have got to. Another link even provides pictures -- of snowplowing. But I can't find a single mention anywhere on the site of the road having been washed out, having to put in a temporary 200 ft bridge with a metal surface (that'll be fun when it freezes), having to repair 400 ft of retaining wall, etc. Inexcusable IMHO.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 9:51 am

According to this article (from 6/23) they still expect to have the entire road opened by July 1st.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...ews/news04.txt

John
'02 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in