12 volt cooling system question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Talking 12 volt cooling system question

Not sure if this is the spot to post this question, but my SO and I are planning a four corner trip in August. Me all the way, SO just West to East. Both of us have medical needs that need to be kept cool. Diabetic stuff.
here is the question. does anyone know of a cooling, refridge unit that could be used on the LT. and not take up a lot space

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Glad you're living your life! Congrats!

Any "12-volt" based system will work.. LT is standard "negative ground" bike so wiring in will be "simple".

My Mom travels with her "car fridge" plugged in... does a decent job.... even for several days....she could go longer, but doesn't.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
Not sure if this is the spot to post this question, but my SO and I are planning a four corner trip in August. Me all the way, SO just West to East. Both of us have medical needs that need to be kept cool. Diabetic stuff.
here is the question. does anyone know of a cooling, refridge unit that could be used on the LT. and not take up a lot space
Unfortunately, the little 12 volt "thermoelectric" coolers will not cool much less than 30 degrees below ambient. That means that if it is 90 degrees, the inside of the cooler will be about 60. I had one mounted on my LT for my 10/10ths trip, it worked pretty well as long as the temps were around 65, but as the temps got up around 85 it got pretty warm in the cooler. They use Peltier Effect modules, and do a fair job until it gets too hot, then they struggle. Use 3-4 amps too, so don't walk away from the bike with it plugged in for any length of time.

I looked at a small 12 volt cooler once that had a "swing compressor", and used refrigerant, but it cost far too much, around $300 if I remember correctly.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
Not sure this will work but it sounds better than most. At least it's something to check out.

http://tinyurl.com/2bsk9s

We have this one at work in one of our trucks and this one works really good but it is quite heavy but maybe you could call the company to see if they make a smaller one.

http://tinyurl.com/2tt3w3

Bill
post #5 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Took me a minute to find this, it's funny I JUST read about this this morning. What a coincidence.
I hope this will do what you're looking for, you will need to connect a voltage converter to drop the voltage to 5v and all that, but it should be pretty straight forward.

HTH

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00286

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonbill
Not sure this will work but it sounds better than most. At least it's something to check out.

http://tinyurl.com/2bsk9s
That one uses ice and water! Don't think it will fit the bill. If one already has the ice, don't need another cooler.
Quote:
We have this one at work in one of our trucks and this one works really good but it is quite heavy but maybe you could call the company to see if they make a smaller one.

http://tinyurl.com/2tt3w3

Bill
That one probably has a swing compressor in it. Even more expensive than the one I found a couple years ago.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Keep it Simple

Maybe a small ice chest would fit the bill just as well.. A little Ice goes a long way.......and it's cheap...No Current draw on the battery.. Lasts for days on a single "charge"....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Zero volt cooling system

Willing to give up your left side case?
I have used the left side case as a cooler, buying bags of ice at convience stores and tossing them in the side case. Buy ice at fuel stops.
The whole side case becomes a cooler.
Quick, easy, cheap.
post #9 of 13 Old May 29th, 2007, 10:03 pm

You could always try to use dry ice instead of regular ice. Done right it lasts a long time.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 9:42 am

What I have is a small zippered pack that is made for diabetic supplies that has two pockets with removable freezer gel packs. Unless you are planning on doing a lot of camping placing them in a hotel/motel freezer each night on the road will keep your insulin well below room temp. All the insulins that I use can be kept at room temp for up to 30 days after being opened. Of course check with your diabetic professional before doing this. My zippered kit is made by Atwater Cary Ltd; these can be found listed in most diabetic magazines.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #11 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 9:43 am

Toby, we have the same problems. Both my wife and son are insulin dependent. My wife and I have rode all over the USA and no problems. We put the insulin in a small thermos bottle like soup would go in and the meter is in the saddlebag. Sometimes the meter whould show "hot" but we usually stop in somewhere for a bite to eat or drink and let it set on the table for a few minutes and it will cool off. We also live in South Texas so we deal with the hot for a long time.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:23 am

i am also diabetic but your post has got me looking. i use a refreezable 2 vials insulated carrier, i cannot remember the manufacturer, but i found this and i am ordering one to try.

http://www.coolerconcept.com/pages/extralarge.htm

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

post #13 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up thank you

All very very much for all your help!!!!

Several great ideas and products We will be looking into.

We plan to do some camping but depending on weather we will be also inside camping.

thank you all again

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in