Alberta to New Mexico Route Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 28th, 2007, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Alberta to New Mexico Route Suggestions

This September I am taking 8 days off to ride from Alberta down to Taos New, Mexico. Any suggestions as to Routes would be greatly appreciated. Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:36 am

Route to Taos

I haven't attached a map lately so I am going to do this using words. I drove thru Taos on Memorial day and returned via Red River stopping at the rally. My suggestions are based on a trip I took to and from Banff so I am going to assume a start point for you on I-15. I drove south by southeast to Bozeman which allowed me to drive thru Yellowstone National Park. A more rapid route would take you via I-90, 94 and 25 to Casper, WY and points south to Cheyenne and Denver. From Denver I would take I-25 to Raton, New Mexico. Leave the interstate and head for Cimmaron, Eagles Nest and Taos, NM. I have driven many of the other highways which aren't as direct or as fast but I will share them with you only if you really want to know as there are many options. Jim

Last edited by jwimberley; May 30th, 2007 at 11:38 am. Reason: left out word
post #3 of 14 Old May 30th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Just returned from a trip through that area. You a have a lot of great options. Mountains of Colorado are worth exploring and I liked the west side the best. Consider Hwy 133 on to 92 from Carbondale to Montrose. Hwy 550 from Montrose to Durango is spectacular. From Durango should be a nice run into Taos. We came back along the eastern portion of the rockies - hwy 24 thru Leadville. Its fairly direct bit I did not find it as interesting (the snow did limit visibility and enjoyment).

post #4 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 12:03 pm
was

I'm sure you know the good roads in Alberta. Crossing into the States, my suggestions would be to pick up 2 south at Fort Macleod or 6 south off 3 or 93 south off 3, the point being to get to Babb on the east side of Glacier National Park in Montana or to Whitefish on the west side. From either town you can pick up the Going to the Sun Hwy thru Glacier. If you go west across Glacier from Babb you can pick up 93 heading south. The only problem is that if you want to see Yellowstone you have to take the I-90 slab east at Missoula to pick up 287 at Three Forks, or you can continue on 93 south to its intersection with 20 and take 20 up to Yellowstone (this requires some backtracking, but it does take you by Craters of the Moon). If you cross Glacier from west to east you can take 89 all the way to Yellowstone. South of Yellowstone is unknown territory to me, so I'll be interested to hear from others about recommended routes. Have a great and safe trip.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #5 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I have a map of the Western United States spread out in my den and I will be adding your suggestions in with a yellow highlighter tonight. I appreciate your input. Motorcyclists have a very different view on what makes a great riding road then do cages. Ron
post #6 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 4:16 pm

Any road in northern New Mexico is going to be great riding. If you are going through Denver, you may want to look at taking 285 south out of Ft Garland to Taos. Great road and gets you off of the interstate. If you are really adventurous, you could take 285 south out of Denver. REALLY GREAT riding.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConspiracyofOne
Any road in northern New Mexico is going to be great riding. If you are going through Denver, you may want to look at taking 285 south out of Ft Garland to Taos. Great road and gets you off of the interstate. If you are really adventurous, you could take 285 south out of Denver. REALLY GREAT riding.
Ray
Thanks Ray! The further I can get from the interstate, and the more adventurous the road the better I like it. Ron
post #8 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 8:06 pm

Ron:
For roads in Colorado, go to cohcc.org. This is the website of a great bunch of Valk riders I used to ride with when I lived in Colorado. They have a calendar; it will list rides and give ride maps. If you tell me your planned route, I can get you through any part of Colorado with out being on the slab; some areas are more scenic than others.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old May 31st, 2007, 8:23 pm

West Yellowstone to Durango

I am not too familiar with either Montana or New Mexico but I have attached a file that shows a possible route from West Yellowstone to Durango.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Route.txt (3.8 KB, 41 views)

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

post #10 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 8:21 am
was

Just found this link posted by Ghaison in another thread. State by state compilation of the best motorcycle roads, with mileage and maps: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:39 am

In Taos, stop for dinner at Orlando's. You won't be disappointed.
The locals will know where it is.
There is a route called the Enchanted Circle that circles through Taos
which is worth the drive.
In my case I rather head to Revelstoke!

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoe
I am not too familiar with either Montana or New Mexico but I have attached a file that shows a possible route from West Yellowstone to Durango.
Yes!!! This contains the best m/c road in Colorado; HWY 141. The road is great, no decreasing radius corners, no sand, no traffic, virtually no leo's and runs through Unawheep Canyon. I have ran that stretch from Whitewater to Naturita soooo many times. Never get tired of it, ever!!!!
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #13 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by info
In Taos, stop for dinner at Orlando's. You won't be disappointed.
The locals will know where it is.
There is a route called the Enchanted Circle that circles through Taos
which is worth the drive.
In my case I rather head to Revelstoke!
Or continue on south on 287 to Embudo Station; it's the old stage stop along the Rio Grande River. Great food and great ambiance. Serves the best bread pudding I have ever eaten.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again guys. One of the best parts of riding a BMW has to be this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in