Triumph Sprint - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Question Triumph Sprint

What do you folks think about an '06 or and '07 Triumph Sprint ST?

Any Sprint owners here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

ElJeffe's wife, Ruth rides an older one. I remember a few others who have them in their sig line, but no one specifically. Sorry.

Anywho... I almost bought one back in '03, but the '98 ZX-11 Ninja just spoke to me more. I know since then Triumph has made many improvements to the Sprint. That 3-cylinder powerplant will definitely rock your world. And the steering is light and quick. Very "flickable".

Do to the lack of wind/rain protection, I wouldn't consider it a true sport-tourer . . . unless you're not planning on spending more than 300-400 miles in the saddle per day I learned this the hard way on my Ninja. 700-mile days were fine ergonomically, but the wind would simply beat the heck outta me.

If you or someone you know is considering this bike, take a long, hard look at it. It worth heavy consideration, in my book.
post #3 of 6 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:13 am

Very narrow. Behond belief almost. I found it odd and uncomfortable.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:03 am

A former friend has one. He just completed a 6000 mile tour on his. He loves it, but like the LT, it has it's quirks. There is a forum, triumphrat.com, or something like that. Also some discussion on www.sport-touring.net in the Triumph section.

The guy I knew had heat issues on pillion, plus a few other things that have to be checked. Seems like there is some issue with the front brake and the swingarm pivot.

like any bike, it has it's good and bad. I rode his twice, but not enough to tell much, other than it rode nicely at an easy pace.

Randy
post #5 of 6 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:46 am

I bought my '99 new. Great all round bike, good power for screwing around, comfy enough for longer rides. Plus it's got a unique rumble from the 3 cylinder especially with a Triumph pipe on it. Sounds awesome when you run thru the gears at redline! I've had no problems at all with mine, just change the oil and tires. It will cook you on hot days sitting at a light though, that's really the only issue. It's a real good alternative to all the other bikes out there. Haven't ridden a new one, but I know they have a bigger engine and looks like they lean more towards the sporting side.

Bruce Northrop

'99 BMW K1200 LT
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'72 Norton 750 (resto in progress)
'69 Triumph TR6C (restored)
post #6 of 6 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:31 am

I have a '01 Sprint ST(bought new) with bar-backs. Very comfortable IMHO. No problem with 600 mile days. Gas consumption is a whopping 52 MPG. Never had problems with it with 48,000 miles on the clock to date. Did the Baja-Mainland route on it twice.

But if I were to get a stablemate for my LT (hind sight)... Gonna be either a GS or a Goose Stelvio... JMTCW.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAJA MEXICO MAY2004 084B.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	11974  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in