Honda ST 1300 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Honda ST 1300

Has anybody tried this bike? I dropped my LT once (so far) but I am pretty disgusted with how top heavy it is. I love the way it handles. I tried the RT and found it uncomfortable for me.

A bike that costs this much and theoretically has the best engineering should not have a statistic that 75% of the owners drop it at some point. For now I am still riding my '06 LT but I am thinking of switching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:05 pm

Nice bike - bulletproof Honda. Reasonably quick & used as the Fuzzcycle of choice out here. That said, it's not the LT for 2ups... nor has the farkles.... and the abs isn't BMW.

That said, I've never heard of abs failure concerns either...
post #3 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:07 pm

i had considered an ST when i was in my sport tour mode...was told by several the the FJR or GT is the way to go...that the STs are somewhat underpowerd and heavy...

Mark
03' BMW LTE
04' Victory T/C (she thinks its hers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA #131781

post #4 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:17 pm

Why don't you wait until the new Kawasaki Concours comes out (if ever) before you make the switch. It is supposed to be something!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:18 pm

Billy, Have you try the GT, lighter and has the BMW tech and safty. Lot less top heavy and 157 HP. Good all arround

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #6 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:19 pm

I forgot about the Concours, they are keeping allot of secrets on that one, complete redo i guess.

Mark
03' BMW LTE

BMWMOA #131781
post #7 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Has anybody tried this bike? I dropped my LT once (so far) but I am pretty disgusted with how top heavy it is. I love the way it handles. I tried the RT and found it uncomfortable for me.

A bike that costs this much and theoretically has the best engineering should not have a statistic that 75% of the owners drop it at some point. For now I am still riding my '06 LT but I am thinking of switching.
Lord, Yes Yes Yes!!! The ST1300 would be the PERFECT bike for you. Now please...sell your LT immediately and buy an ST1300.

I can help you find the ST1300 forum if you'd like. Just let me know.
post #8 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:33 pm

Lord, Yes Yes Yes!!! The ST1300 would be the PERFECT bike for you. Now please...sell your LT immediately and buy an ST1300.

I can help you find the ST1300 forum if you'd like. Just let me know.
Today 3:19

EASY TRIGGER !!!

Mark
03' BMW LTE

BMWMOA #131781
post #9 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:45 pm

I'm a big fan of the ST1300. If we didn't ride 2 up a fair amount of the time, that would be the bike in my garage. Honda quality, low maintenance costs, and a terrific ride. A lot of my rides locally are with ST owners and I've test ridden the bike. I prefer the seating position to either the RT or the GT. I prefer the engine to the RT. Obviously, the GT's engine / overall performance is superior to the ST, but I'll never use that performance, so for the cost difference, I'd go with the ST. (Not to offend the easily offended, but I'm not a fan of the looks of the new GT - that's a personal issue, not a commentary on the bike or its legions of fans). You give up wind protection, heated grips (as a standard, but an easy add on), self-cancelling turn signals, an integrated music system / comm system, reverse, top box is an add-on, and a couple of other bells and whistles.

Probably the biggest issue is that you'll want to make sure the sport(ier) seating position is one you like (it has a small lean forward that some find uncomfortable - for me, it's perfect - the K12S is very similiar IMHO). As Joe says tongue in cheek, visit the st-owners forum and you'll gain some insight. The nit pickers about that bike are just as vocal on that forum as the ones here about the LT, so you'll pick up all the negatives pretty quick (engine whine, heat on legs, coolant hose connections, uncomfortable seat come to mind). They have an active riding group in Atlanta, so join up with them for a ride and you'll get a good idea of the bike and its strengths as well as weaknesses. Then take one for a test ride and see if it sings to you, if not try something else. We're just lucky to have so many good choices in the sport touring category that one for sure will be exactly the right bike for you.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:57 pm

St1300

Concerns about the high speed stability of the ST1300 have popped several times; you might want to do some Gooogling. I think some police departments in the UK and US suspended their purchases of the ST1300 for that reason.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #11 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:13 pm

The ST is a nice bike. I have test driven it and a buddy has one. He loves it and has owned it for almost 3 years now. Give it a test drive and see if you like it.
post #12 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Concerns about the high speed stability of the ST1300 have popped several times; you might want to do some Gooogling. I think some police departments in the UK and US suspended their purchases of the ST1300 for that reason.
I agree,rented one last Summer for 10 days in Europe ,rode the Alps & did'nt liked it at all!!!
Unstable in high speed ,poor engine sound,strange handling and there was a constant clutch burning smell after each braking with the engine on downhills?! was told that by ST owners that all of them smell like this...? gas tank was too hot to touch most of the ride?
I personally will never own this Honda!!!
post #13 of 44 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:10 pm

There were some brand new 2003 year model ST1100 police bikes floating around the dealers a few weeks ago for around 8,000 bucks. Nice price if you don't mind white and they had they honor the warranty just like they were a 2007 model.
post #14 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:13 am

Brother in law bought a new 06, I rode it and he rode my k1200rs one afternoon, I say afternoon bc he wouldn't trade back. Unlike the bmw's that seem to sink into a groove the harder you drive them, this bike did the opposite and I just felt like I should keep it under 70.
FYI bro in law has a new 07 fjr fwiw. Some fools never learn.
I think if you are going to ride 2 up and want to save a buck consider the fjr but otherwise go with the GT.
Honda makes a decent LT knock off but the ST is not close enough for me. I consider Honda a distant 3rd in the market for sport tourers.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #15 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:43 am

Mike H is correct in the high speed concerns. Not a problem if you are not in a hurry though.

Our force had all new 1300's but discovered a wobble develop at around 100mph which could become very bad. One officer was killed when he was on a high speed run and it was put down to the bikes problem. The 1300 's are all off the road and the old 1100's have been pulled back into service (luckily they had not sold them off yet but waited to ensure the new bikes did as advertised)

Happened before years ago with the K series as well but was due to the weight distribution of all the police gear on the back being up high and in the wrong place. Re-design of police fit package resolved that. Not sure if this will turn out to be the case or not as have heard of the wobble on other non police 1300's.

Stand by for no win no fee brigade to move in given the chance.

mike
post #16 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 6:44 am

I have a buddy who has an ST1100 and he says it is very top heavy
He has dropped a couple of times
He still loves his bike
I guess it is all a matter of perspective

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #17 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 6:49 am

Yo Guys! If the guy wants to buy an ST1300, I say we let him. Now start encouraging, or shut up!

Good luck with the ST1300 Billy! Nice knowin' ya!!!
post #18 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:14 am

Quote:

You should be disgusted with yourself ,the bike does not go over on it's own. It is only through your careless actions that this beautiful machine has hit the ground. I think self inflict punishment is in order.
Understand the rotational use of COG, under centrifugal force and you will come to view that high COG as a beautiful thing. As your peg scrapes, you toe the rear brake, while increasing the spin of the drive shaft. The bike squats, hugs the bend, as you come out like a rocket sled on rails, the high COG above the gyroscope action of the wheels rights the bike effortlessly. Like riding smokestack lightning
That from someone who has dumped/dropped the LT well into the double digits, of course I ride sometimes where few will go.
I'll give you $100. for it today, it has been down after all
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #19 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:43 am Thread Starter

That all sounds good Rock but I'm sure you would be happier if you didn't always have to worry the bike was going over. I love everything else about it.
post #20 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:29 am

Quote:

I'm curious about what you found uncomfortable about the R1200RT? I find it much less top heavy than the ST1300. It's considerably lighter too!
post #21 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:07 am

I've got to agree with Rock. BMW can't engineer the rider and it's the rider who ultimately controls what the bike does. I haven't dropped mine yet, [knock wood] and don't plan to anymore than I planned to crash my Vstrom.

If it bugs the rider (any rider) that much, then you may not be able to concentrate on the stuff that is happening around you.

the mechanical issues I can see blaming BMW. But blaming the bike for falling over when it is obeying the laws of physics? It's responding to rider inputs. It's a machine. No more, no less.

My opinion would be to practice on the stops and slow speed maneuvers til you figure out what works for you and then use that every time.

I practice the Uturn box and swerves, cornering, and quick stops almost every time I teach a class, because I know these are things that are important.

Randy
post #22 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

A former owner of an ST1300

Before I bought my LT, I owned an ST1300. My experience might be different than others, but this is what I found after riding it thousands of miles. The engine is a marvel. Smooth and responsive. And almost bulletproof. The engine is the best part of the bike. Stock seat is horrible. Stock windshield was poor and I tried just about every after market shield I could, and I couldn't get rid of noise and buffeting. The heat management was very poor. My legs roasted regardless of outside temperature. Nothing I tried alleviated this problem, and this was the single biggest reason I sold it. I never felt comfortable at high speed (Anything above 65MPH). The bike felt nervous and wandering. I never had the guts to break triple digits on it. If I were to go back into the sport touring category and I wanted something different than a BMW, I would seriously consider the new Kawasaki Concours, or maybe, even the Moto Guzzi Norge. This being said, I haven't ridden either one, yet. Just my opinions and experience. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Roy
post #23 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that at least 75% of motorcycle owners in general have dropped their bikes. It has little to do with the LT or any other bike. Operator error is the culprit. I dropped my Ducati a couple years ago (loose gravel in turn -- which was not noticed in time by me -- my fault entirely). In fact, I only know of one person that has not dropped his bike at some time.

The BMW is engineered very well. The throttle will pick the bike up nicely out of turns. Judicious use of throttle + clutch will help you lots.

The ST is nice, but it is much different than the LT. Finish does not seem quite as nice, the seat is harder, and the seating position is quite different. The motor is stronger on the ST, however. Good Luck.

Ian
post #24 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 5:48 pm

As a new LT owner, I read the stories about how many people dropped their bikes because of the top heaviness. I have been riding a Kawasaki KZ1300 for the last 27 years, and it is pretty top heavy too, and it has never been down, so I was not too concerned. Well, I too have joined the ranks of those that have dropped their LT. In my case, it was with my wife on the back, and we were almost stopped in a parking lot, so the only thing that was hurt was my pride. Since then I have put a few hundred miles on the bike, and I do find myself getting used to the weight. It is still a handful with a passenger, but only at walking speeds. On the highway it is great. If two up riding is important, keep the LT. You will get used to it, and your passenger will be much happier. For sport touring, there are many choices out there, but for two up riding I think the LT is one of the best, and I have tried the GL1800 and even considered a Harley! I am happy with my decision.

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #25 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Hi Wm.,
Don't get discouraged, I've owned several bikes and at one point or another I've had them all on their side; usually because I screwed up some low speed maneuver (try picking up a GW - it's like lifting a safe). I agree with some of the others who have responded, the bike requires some practice and learning. Nothing that I have ever ridden in the LT's size and weight range comes even close to the LT's overall capabilities. I've had several GWs and their fine so long as you ride in a straight line. The ST might be a fine bike and just right for you but I would find a parking lot and spend a couple days learning the LT before you give up.

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC
post #26 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Well, I'm in love with the LT all over again. I took off the top case and just did a wonderful day in the Georgia mountains. Handles like a dream. I guess I'll just learn to be more careful parking etc. The only problem left for me to solve is to get a comfortable seat.

Ben, you asked what I did not like about the RT. I found it to have much less wind protection than the LT and I do a lot of driving in the colder months. Those 2 wind deflectors on the LT do an awesome job.
post #27 of 44 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Comfortable Seat

I agree, the oem seat is less than wonderful and can be torture on long trips. I've tried a pre '05 seat, more comfortable then the new ones but not really the answer. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Corbin seat - the whole package (driver, passenger, back rests) expensive solution but very comfortable and looks great. If you're into long distance riding you'll eventually get an after-market seat. Lots of possibilities available, check out some of the threads on seats.

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC.
post #28 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:54 am

Quote:

I ride my 06 a lot. I've owned it 121 days and have dropped it twice. I have ridden it in rain, wind, on dirt roads, and on one Iron Butt ss1000. I like it a lot. Having said that, I am still amazed at how fast it can get away from the rider and lay down on its side. Yep, practice helps, but the fact still remains that if you lose your concentration, even for a second at low speeds and the bike gets out of its narrow envelope of slow speed stability, you can't stop it from going over. That is, in my view, a problem. For me, the two up comfort and long range ability saves it from the used bike lot.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #29 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:37 am

Quote:
That all sounds good Rock but I'm sure you would be happier if you didn't always have to worry the bike was going over. I love everything else about it.
Learn to ride it, every machine is different, do quick stops, slow drag and figure 8's in a parking lot. Or on gravel if you think your good., then work on popping the clutch to see if you can get the front of the ground, helps when riding off of sidewalks into the street.
I knew a guy who could burn rubber hit 2'nd downshift to 1st, U-turn peel out, hit 2nd downshift and stop on a handshift bike. OH Yeah inside a 4 car garage , of course he had been on that same bike everyday for over 25 years!
Have fun
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #30 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:06 am

At the risk of dropping the beast, I often find myself trying to balance at stop lights with my feet up, crawling to the stop. I find the LT to be pretty good at just barely moving, using small inputs and featering on that clutch, with a little rear brake pedal to help. I realize that at some point, if I make the wrong move or add too much input, I may drop it. And it takes very little movement to keep balance. In class we practice that slow ride stuff, and so I am used to the feeling.

The best way to minimize any discomfort with the LT at slow speeds is to practice, practice, practice. And every ride offers an opportunity to practice something, everything. The Lt is not that bad at slow speeds really, if it's pointed straight. Getting comfy with slow speed and leaned into a turn is nerve-wracking, but possible.

got to know your limitations, the bike's, and the environment and stay within them all. Know how you and the bike feel at slow speeds. Chances are, the rider is not going to realize the full potential of the LT. But respect it's handling characteristics. And don't let yourself get into a dropping situation if you can help it. And then be aware of oil and grease and crap (environment).

The LT is wonderful bike, once you get used to it. If you are nervous at slowspeeds, practice them. right now, I'm more concerned wiht my cornering on it and am trying to improve that. Slow speed doesn't really bother me, other than tight U-turns. I can get it down to 24' consistently, which is tighter than most things I've encountered. I can do a U turn on 2 lane road. I make a sweeping U turn every morning I ridfe to work on GRAVEL. I'm not sure the radius, but it's three of the railroad ties we use for parking blocks out front. It's pretty relaxed, feet up affair.

This stuff can be done, it just takes practice and confidence.

Sorry that was so long-winded, but the LT is just like any other bike. It takes practice to be good at it. Just a bit more for the LT slowly.

Randy
post #31 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:39 am

Wink

Also heard the st1300, has one major flaw, very warm in the family jewel area, one of my buddies has one and he has also commented on that, so if your in hot climate could be uncomfortable
post #32 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:28 am
ytk

ST1300 to replace a K1200LT, I just made that switch yesterday. I had dropped, though not in 4 years, my K. It is embarrassing and darn hard to pick up by yourself. I hope never to drop the ST and probably won't as I find it easier to get the sidestand down and it pops into place with a noticeable "clunk"--which I like. With a full tank of fuel is takes a definite effort to right it from the sidestand. However, I'm 5'8" and a taller person would not think twice, again, not a real issue.

Regarding the ST1300, with only about 100 miles of riding experience I'm no expert but here are my initial impressions. First, it is everything the motorcycle mags said it was in the test against BMW, and Yamaha. It is fast, comfortable, seems to get good to great gas mileage, and there is HEAT. Yesterday was 90 and I could feel the heat from my ankles to my thighs--it was not OUCH hot, but definitely warm. I knew this going in to it and I don't consider it a big deal (maybe when I cross the desert on the way to MotoGP I'll feel different).

I made the switch because my wife does not ride with me the way she used to. I like horsepower and this puppy with "kick butt" on the K-LT. On my first test ride of an ST it felt like a motorcycle that did not like to turn. Wrong, while this is not the bike I'd choose for the Dragon, it would/will be a lot of fun on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
post #33 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
The best way to minimize any discomfort with the LT at slow speeds is to practice, practice, practice. And every ride offers an opportunity to practice something, everything. The Lt is not that bad at slow speeds really, if it's pointed straight. Getting comfy with slow speed and leaned into a turn is nerve-wracking, but possible.

Randy
Indeed! Ride to work everyday in stop and go traffic, you'll learn how to handle low speed! I can crawl along at 3MPH for miles with my legs resting up on the wings (standard fair on I405 in Seattle, even in the carpool lane!). Practice!

-Scurrie
post #34 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:08 pm

In several of these responses I have read advice about using the rear brake as opposed to the front during slow speed turns. I was told by my dealer that the brakes are integrated, and that whether you squeeze the handlebar brake lever (front brake on other bikes) or use the foot brake the end result is the same, which is that you are applying both brakes with either method, and the bike decides how to apportion the front/rear braking force. That is also how the owners manual reads, so what am I missing? How is it possible to just apply the rear brake?

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #35 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Smile Honda ST1300 Vs K1200LT

I have a 2001 K12LT that I dearly love, and am also thinking about the ST1300. How do you like the ergos?? I have fairly bad arthritis and will need to find one to test ride to make a final decision. Several members of our local BMW club have had them and like them a lot. I have a Bushtec and I know that they build a hitch for the ST1300. Haven't heard if they build one for the GT yet. Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk
ST1300 to replace a K1200LT, I just made that switch yesterday. I had dropped, though not in 4 years, my K. It is embarrassing and darn hard to pick up by yourself. I hope never to drop the ST and probably won't as I find it easier to get the sidestand down and it pops into place with a noticeable "clunk"--which I like. With a full tank of fuel is takes a definite effort to right it from the sidestand. However, I'm 5'8" and a taller person would not think twice, again, not a real issue.

Regarding the ST1300, with only about 100 miles of riding experience I'm no expert but here are my initial impressions. First, it is everything the motorcycle mags said it was in the test against BMW, and Yamaha. It is fast, comfortable, seems to get good to great gas mileage, and there is HEAT. Yesterday was 90 and I could feel the heat from my ankles to my thighs--it was not OUCH hot, but definitely warm. I knew this going in to it and I don't consider it a big deal (maybe when I cross the desert on the way to MotoGP I'll feel different).

I made the switch because my wife does not ride with me the way she used to. I like horsepower and this puppy with "kick butt" on the K-LT. On my first test ride of an ST it felt like a motorcycle that did not like to turn. Wrong, while this is not the bike I'd choose for the Dragon, it would/will be a lot of fun on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Bob
post #36 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:47 pm

One of my first observations on my 2400 mile ride on my new LT was that I at first found it a little hard to find the side stand to put it down and to put in up without looking. I theorize that some of the shifting linkage damage that has occurred on this bike is due to the fact that it is very easy to put your foot on the shifter thinking you are going to put the side stand up, I know my foot ended up there the first 20 times I tried to do so. Now I just look, until I get used to the location.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #37 of 44 Old May 25th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Early 1300s had heat dissipation issues. Honda quickly solved the problem, starting in 2006, with better panel insulation and air ducting.

Ergonomics can be easily modified with a number of available aftermarket parts.

I haven't heard of any instability issues at higher speed. In this day and age, litigation being what it is, it would surprise me to learn that any bike with problems like that would stay on the market long.
post #38 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:03 am

Re: Honda ST 1300

The 2003 ST1300 is the model banned by police depts. Don't buy one of those. Honda supposedly stopped production for a while and fixed the problem. I've never ridden one, but rode an ST1100 before buying my LT. The V4 engine layout gives it an interesting ride. Neat! It was the choice of the Iron Butt Club for years. Must be a good bike.

It doesn't have all the farkles of an LT though.

2000 LTC
Pacific Blue
post #39 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:28 am
Old Dawg

Amazing how people find one year old threads...

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #40 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 11:44 am

Quote:
Amazing how people find one year old threads...
Interesting for me that this topic came up this morning. Yesterday I was playing 'What Would I Ride If I Had To Downsize' and was surfing the ST1300 forum. I found a topic asking for comparisons between the R1200RT and the ST1300. Quite a few forum members had ownership and/or riding experiences with both bikes.

The consensus was that the ST had a smoother engine and transmission, far lower maintenance and service costs, and no FD failures. The RT was lighter, handled better in tight curves, cost $5,000 more, has higher service costs a vibey engine.

Most riders liked both bikes and those who bought the ST usually did so because there are more Honda dealers, the ST is low maintenance and even with farkles, costs less than a comparably equipped RT.

One big downside is that Honda usually stops making and stocking parts for a motorcycle 10 years after production of that model stops. BMW still makes parts for all of its bikes. Keeping an ST for a very long term may result in unavailability of parts at some point.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #41 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Rider Magazine did a shootout a few months ago comparing the Honda ST1300, Yahama FJR, Kawasaki Concurs and the BMW K1200GT. They picked the Honda.

I have a 2001 K1200LT and LOVE it. BUT my next test ride will be the ST1300.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #42 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Quote:

The ST1300 is a fine machine with an outstanding engine, et al. It is however heavy, thirsty, hot and top heavy when compared with the R1200RT. I think that anyone contemplating purchase of a sport touring machine owes it to herself/himself to take a nice long test ride on a R1200RT. Other bikes do some things better but in my opinion none come close when all factors are considered. Don't take my word, ride one far enough to find out what makes it tick. I sold a 2005 RT when I bought the K1200LT trike and have been kicking myself since! I love the trike but will probably look for another R12RT to keep it company. The R1200RT is in my opinion the best overall motorcycle I ever sat on, bar none.
post #43 of 44 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:08 pm
just a guy

There is another thing I'd like to bring up. I've owned R12Rt, FJR12, and now the LT - they all look great. You can take the bags off the R12Rt and the FJR, and they still look great. I can't even find a pic of the ST13 with the bags off - it's that ugly.......

all the best,

Mike
post #44 of 44 Old May 20th, 2008, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Rider Magazine did a shootout a few months ago comparing the Honda ST1300, Yahama FJR, Kawasaki Concurs and the BMW K1200GT. They picked the Honda.

I have a 2001 K1200LT and LOVE it. BUT my next test ride will be the ST1300.

Dude! Didn't you see what I was riding in NC? RT baby!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in