unsolicited praise for used motorcycle seller - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:11 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: camp hill, pa, usa
Posts: 19
Smile unsolicited praise for used motorcycle seller

most of you reading this site have motorcycles so may not be interested, but i recently purchased a 2000 K1200LT from a fellow and had a positive experience - his name is don and lives in northern jersey (don' want to sound like a commercial so didn't list his contact info but can provide it if asked) - he purchases bikes that have been in accidents and written off by the ins. co. and sold at auction - then fixes up and resells - his specialty is the K1200 but he can work with any bike - throughout all my interactions with him he has been more than fair, delivering my bike 3 hours away, doing several repairs at no charge, offering to buy if back if i did not like it (try to get those from your local bmw dealer) - if you or a friend is considering buying a used bmw, i suggest speaking to him
vasculardoctor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:25 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: toms river, nj, usa
Posts: 1
email for don??
drtoez is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:55 pm
Member
 
kemmons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salem, OR, USA
Posts: 46
Salvaged title? If it is it would have to be half the cost for me to buy one.

Has anyone been to the BMW dealer in Tigard, OR? If so, there is a BMW that is literally in half in their shop. Someone bought it from a salvaged/rebuild shop and it did not work so they tried to have warrantee work done on it. They took that bike apart and it's still that way cause the owner tried to get the work done on warrantee and when the dealer ran the title, they discovered it was a salvaged title. The BMW owner has to pay to have it fixed and it's thousands of dollars. Not that every salvaged bike is bad, just that you have to weigh the risks with the purchase price.

Last edited by kemmons; May 23rd, 2007 at 1:02 pm.
kemmons is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 1:23 pm
Senior Member
 
zippy_gg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennesaw, GA, USA
Posts: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmons
Salvaged title? If it is it would have to be half the cost for me to buy one.

Has anyone been to the BMW dealer in Tigard, OR? If so, there is a BMW that is literally in half in their shop. Someone bought it from a salvaged/rebuild shop and it did not work so they tried to have warrantee work done on it. They took that bike apart and it's still that way cause the owner tried to get the work done on warrantee and when the dealer ran the title, they discovered it was a salvaged title. The BMW owner has to pay to have it fixed and it's thousands of dollars. Not that every salvaged bike is bad, just that you have to weigh the risks with the purchase price.
In some states you won't be able to insure a salvage vehicle anymore...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)



For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zippy_gg is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:20 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: camp hill, pa, usa
Posts: 19
answers to the questions:
1. don's email is [email protected] optonline.net
2. i had the same concerns about a salvage title, but he was able to get me a regular title - i do not know if this is always possible
3. he says sometimes he gets a bike that has a bent frame or something bad - he says he uses these for parts, and because he deals largely with k1200's he can use the parts - normally i would not believe a stranger who would tell me this, but when he said he would buy it back if i did not like it i was encouraged, and after spending several hours with him in his garage i am even more convinced of his honesty (i did have the bike in to my bmw dealer for state inspection by a master bmw mechanic and he said the frame, front end, and other critical stuff was fine)
vasculardoctor is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 212
More praise for Don Murray

I am flying in on Sat to pickup a 2006 GT which he has also rebuilt - basically, repainted the plastic. I will have the only Katana pearl red K1200GT in the country. He will meet me at the airport. I will test drive the bike for 60 miles back to his shop and I will collect the papers. Then I am off to ride the eastern end of US 50 from Ocean City to St Louis . Back at work on Tuesday.

If all the dealers were as responsive as Don Murray has been, BMW would not have issues with the public. If an issue came up with the bike, he called or emailed. And, most important, he would ride the bike big time to test it - not just around the block.

I have talked to others who have dealt with him and all have raved. And he knows BMW bikes.

After I pick up the bike and ride the 800-900 miles back, I'll let you know how it went.

David Adler
Aurora, IL

David Adler
Aurora, IL

2000LT Canyon Red
CRBMWOA
BMWMOA
dadler is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: camp hill, pa, usa
Posts: 19
glad to hear you have had a similar positive experience
vasculardoctor is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Middlesex, NJ, USA
Posts: 1
Thank you for the positive words

I don't want to advertise in any way but want to thank all for the positive words. We have been through hell over the past few months with losing our shop in Bound Brook, NJ flood in 8.5 feet of water shutting down operations for 3 weeks.

With the support of my customers, and valued followers have given me the ability, and strength to rebuild. We are in the process of moving/rebuilding our facility to Middlesex, NJ @ 275 Lincoln Blvd and plan to open our doors the 2nd week of June 07'.

I take pride in bikes we rebuild. Every customer is treated with respect they deserve working with each to meet their needs as best I can.

Thanks again!
Don
eurosportcycles is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:02 am
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosportcycles
I don't want to advertise in any way but want to thank all for the positive words. We have been through hell over the past few months with losing our shop in Bound Brook, NJ flood in 8.5 feet of water shutting down operations for 3 weeks.

With the support of my customers, and valued followers have given me the ability, and strength to rebuild. We are in the process of moving/rebuilding our facility to Middlesex, NJ @ 275 Lincoln Blvd and plan to open our doors the 2nd week of June 07'.

I take pride in bikes we rebuild. Every customer is treated with respect they deserve working with each to meet their needs as best I can.

Thanks again!
Don
Don, welcome to our little web site! Glad to know that you are so motivated to take care of the customer. You will have more business than you know what to do with!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:29 am
Senior Member
 
donsobeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Elk Grove Village, Il, USA
Posts: 393
Have a safe trip Dave.

DON
donsobeck is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old May 29th, 2007, 1:31 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 212
Well, I'm back and does the GT fly. Flew into Newark, had a working friend from Wall St pick me up and show me NJ. Much different than the refineries, shipyards and RR years that I expected. Have always bypassed NJ on my travels - you know, why stop????

Went to Don Murray's house, Eurosports Don, and he had the @2006 GT which he rebuilt waiting in the drive way. My friend who lives 20 minutes from Don will probably order a LT when one comes Don's way.

Don is moving into a big garage to expand his business. In Somerville, NJ, I believe.

Don went over nearly every process that was necessary to rebuild the bike. He also pointed out areas which he upgraded from the 2006 standards to 2007. The paint job - yeah, the only red GT you will see - was great. When the bike was washed that morning, he found a bubble on the edge of a tupperware out of sight but is sending me a touch up jar of paint, if I need and want to repair.

He reviewed several LTs which are ready for pickup - what work he does.

On the way back, the temp sensor read 20 deg high - probably picking up heat from the engine. Called the local dealer - bike is still under warranty and service mgr feels it's probably placement of the sensor or a new one needed. But the warranty is now in effect.

Traveled nearly 1000 miles - bike performed beautifully - and I am learning to corner with a much bigger lean. Different style of sitting position - back and hips OK but the seat on this bike is terrible. My plan was to ride straight thru but after 650 miles at the OH-IN border, my butt was so sore from riding on a board. Now I am still riding the original LT seat after 80m miles, but this one is TERRIBLE. I now have picked up a sheepskin - can that help? And son wants me to ride to Phoenix with him in 2 weeks.

I called to thank Don for his professionalism and do not have any fears about buying a rebuilt bike from him.

One of the reasons I trust him and his workmanship is that Don is an ex-computer IT person for BMWNA. I believe this fact assists him to doing what is right.

David Adler
Aurora, IL

David Adler
Aurora, IL

2000LT Canyon Red
CRBMWOA
BMWMOA
dadler is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old May 30th, 2007, 12:32 pm
fas
Senior Member
 
fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Village, OH, USA
Posts: 807
Talking Welcome to the GT gang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler
I am flying in on Sat to pickup a 2006 GT which he has also rebuilt - basically, repainted the plastic. I will have the only Katana pearl red K1200GT in the country. He will meet me at the airport. I will test drive the bike for 60 miles back to his shop and I will collect the papers. Then I am off to ride the eastern end of US 50 from Ocean City to St Louis . Back at work on Tuesday.

If all the dealers were as responsive as Don Murray has been, BMW would not have issues with the public. If an issue came up with the bike, he called or emailed. And, most important, he would ride the bike big time to test it - not just around the block.

I have talked to others who have dealt with him and all have raved. And he knows BMW bikes.

After I pick up the bike and ride the 800-900 miles back, I'll let you know how it went.

David Adler
Aurora, IL
David,

Hope your GT is good to you! Love to see the color. I droped mine (cosmetic only due to me trying to ride over a high curb) and I am considering doing a wild paint job. A red metallic is one of the colors on my list. I have 6,000 miles on my GT and I am delighted with it.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
fas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Reading Recommendations? Jerrod Maguire Chit Chat 22 Oct 26th, 2007 11:40 pm
Motorcycle Airbags Part of Safety Trend hagar Bike Talk 9 Sep 16th, 2006 1:38 am
BMW branch in Munich opens the world's largest BMW motorcycle center eljeffe Chit Chat 8 Apr 1st, 2006 12:58 pm
LEO's: Daughter's Motorcycle Homework BillyOmaha Surveys and Polls 14 Feb 17th, 2006 3:40 pm
Interesting Motorcycle Crash Data Dochatley Chit Chat 0 Nov 29th, 2005 10:38 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome