Tire Sealants - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Tire Sealants

Any general consensus (If that's possible on any topic) regarding the effectiveness or the wisdom of using tire sealants ? I've heard of tire sealants that you use after you get a puncture, but I'm asking about the kind that you would put in your tire before you get a puncture.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 6:09 pm

I put the purple stuff in my tires at the recommendation of several folks here. I was steered away from the green slime. No issues. . . yet.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I use Ride-On TPS. Works as advertised.
+1 Good Stuff

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204

post #4 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
+1 Good Stuff
+2 for me too!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 8:11 pm

When you go through tires as fast as I do, you don't worry about punctures. Plus adding the cost of Ride-On TPS would surely put me in the poor house. Although, if Dave Dragon's using it...every one should.
post #6 of 11 Old May 20th, 2007, 9:21 pm
cws

Garage
Been using Ultraseal on the last set of Metz (after I got a small puncture in rear) put in at 2000km on the tyres. Haven't picked up any more nails to test it out though... cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 6:59 am

Tire Sealant

Anyone use the tire sealant with a tire pressure monitoring system?

I would use the tire sealant if I knew their were no conflicts with my SmartTire system.

Regards,
James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #8 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:15 am

James, I don't think using a sealer with any of the tire pressure systems is a good idea. Even though the TPS is the only water based one that I know of, I wouldn't use it either. JM2CW

Just as an aside, I see no need for a tire pressure system on a bike except to check pressure first thing in the morning and I've got a good tire gauge for that. I've read every post that has been put up on Smart Tire and the one by Kisan and I just don't see what the BIG DEAL is.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; May 21st, 2007 at 8:20 am.
post #9 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:51 am

Tire Sealant

Thanks Steve for the advice on the sealant. I didn't think that it was compatible either, but wanted to check.

Just a comment on the Tire monitoring system. A couple of months ago, I was on a group ride and noticed during the ride back that my SmartTire system was blinking a warning on the rear tire. I checked the tire at a gas station and discovered that the valve stem had started to leak. Through some ingenuity of other riders I was riding with (Thank You Mike Moon!), I was able to get the stem replaced at a Mom and Pop tire shop, and ride home safely. That trip alone made me very aware of the value of these systems!

Ride safe,
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
James, I don't think using a sealer with any of the tire pressure systems is a good idea. Even though the TPS is the only water based one that I know of, I wouldn't use it either. JM2CW

Just as an aside, I see no need for a tire pressure system on a bike except to check pressure first thing in the morning and I've got a good tire gauge for that. I've read every post that has been put up on Smart Tire and the one by Kisan and I just don't see what the BIG DEAL is.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #10 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 4:05 pm

Ride-On !

Ride-On ! works as advertised and easy clean-up, when changing out tire.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #11 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 9:34 am

While I can not report on the "Ride On" product, I can give a report of what the inside of alloy wheels look like after 20K with the Green Slime.

In a word, nasty. Not only was there a big mess to clean up on my garage floor but the inside of the rims had big chunks of hardened slime that were stuck to the rims so hard that it was really tough to get them off.

As far as sealing the hole(s) in the tires the product worked fine.

Now these were cars tires but they were alloy rims so I am sure the results would be the same with any alloy rim.

Thankfully there were only two rims I had to contend with, one on my car and one on the wife's van.

(yes, I change my own tires on my cars as well as my bike..)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in