Taking the Lake Superior Circle Tour this Summer...information needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Taking the Lake Superior Circle Tour this Summer...information needed

Hi there,

The first week of July a friend and I are planning on making the Lake Superior Circle Tour beginning in Michigan and going counter-clockwise back home to Chicago.

I have never made this trip before and wondered if anyone here has done so and can reccomend specific things not to be missed, lpaces to stay along the way, etc?

We have planned on beginning on Friday and getting back to Chicago on Monday. Is that enough time?

Please share your thoughts or ideas...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Lake trip

If You are going around Lake Superior, through Minnesota I would suspect that only allowing 3 days would not allow much sight seeing time. Did you by chance mean Lake Michigan?

Some of our club members rode around Lake Superior from the Rockford area through Duluth, into Canada, across the Sue Saint Marie bridge and back to Rockford. This was a four day trip and they ended up riding some after dark just to complete this route.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Smile Duluth mn

If you will be in Duluth Mn. Stop by Canal Park, cold brew at Grandma's Bar, also warm rooms at Edgewater or Comfort Suites. There are several hotels in the area but book early due to Duluths summer exists from the 4th of July to the 5th.

post #4 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Hey there,

Thanks for the feedback. I am indeed doing the Superior tour and not Lake Michigan.

It surely is a long way. One thing I should have added is that we will be starting off rom Grand Rapids and not from Chicago, so that will trim a few miles off the total. Even with that, I am concerened about all riding all day with little time for relaxation (side trips) and such. From the pictures I have seen on the website, it surely looks beautiful and a great way to get the legs stretched on my '01 with only 3,100 miles on the clock Don't bust my chops...it only had 2,100 on the odo when I bought it last September
post #5 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
Hey there,

Thanks for the feedback. I am indeed doing the Superior tour and not Lake Michigan.

It surely is a long way. One thing I should have added is that we will be starting off rom Grand Rapids and not from Chicago, so that will trim a few miles off the total. Even with that, I am concerened about all riding all day with little time for relaxation (side trips) and such. From the pictures I have seen on the website, it surely looks beautiful and a great way to get the legs stretched on my '01 with only 3,100 miles on the clock Don't bust my chops...it only had 2,100 on the odo when I bought it last September
Putting it in my Garmin I find it about 1400 miles. Doable, but not much time for side trips.

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old May 15th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
We have planned on beginning on Friday and getting back to Chicago on Monday. Is that enough time?

Please share your thoughts or ideas...
I did a trip around all five of the Great Lakes in 105 hours. From Chicago to Chicago. That includes normal hotel sleep overs every night. It got pretty cold (mid 30's) at the top of Lake Superior around Marathon Bay. We left on June 14 or so. It was a great ride.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #7 of 11 Old May 16th, 2007, 9:12 am

Did this trip last year. Beautiful country, good roads.
If you are planning on just riding you can do it Friday-Monday pretty leisurely.
However, if you want to do some sightseeing, don't plan on making up too much time on Canadian roads. I believe the speed limit everywhere we were in Canada was 90km/h= 56mph. Plenty of Mounties on the road too.

Maybe some of the Canadian members can enlighten us as to how much "fudge factor" the leos allow up there? (why didn't I ask this last year---doh!)

Brian Heller
2001 LTC-Pacific Blue
post #8 of 11 Old May 16th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_H
Did this trip last year. Beautiful country, good roads.
If you are planning on just riding you can do it Friday-Monday pretty leisurely.
However, if you want to do some sightseeing, don't plan on making up too much time on Canadian roads. I believe the speed limit everywhere we were in Canada was 90km/h= 56mph. Plenty of Mounties on the road too.

Maybe some of the Canadian members can enlighten us as to how much "fudge factor" the leos allow up there? (why didn't I ask this last year---doh!)
You get about 10 Km fudge factor. Most time the mounties leave you alone unless you are inside town limits or zipping in and out of traffic. Up along the lake head area is a tourist area. No reason to be going fast.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #9 of 11 Old May 16th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Mounties?

No mounties in Ontario only the Provincial Police (OPP) Like most places attitude when stopped goes a long way to ticket $$. I've done the ride a couple of times really nice between the soo and thunder bay.
post #10 of 11 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Talking

I've done the circle tour of Superior two years ago. Took us 5 days / 4 nights... but 3 of our 5 bikes were Hardly Davids. Two up they just didn't scoot!
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:25 am

Thumbs up Circle Tour

Hey Brian,

A friend and I are planning the same trip in late July, only clockwise through Michigan, Wisconsin and finally back home to Ontario. I would be interested to hear of your trip once its completed. You may want to visit this website http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.com/#Links to get some more information.

Ride safe.

Martin
'03 Anthracite K1200 LT
'02 Blue R1150 RT
BMW MOA #44043

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in