Question for seasoned S. FL BMW riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Question for seasoned S. FL BMW riders

I'm planning a trip to Key West on my LT in June.

I would like to know if there is a ferry that I could get on with the LT from Ft. Myers or Naples to Key West?

I'm looking to save some drive time. I know Key west is not a car friendly town, but motorcyles and mopeds are ok. Starting in Birmingham, stop in Tampa to visit friends then on to Key West the next day.

This will be my third trip to FL on the LT this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Ferry

Moved from Naples to Ky last year.There are a couple of ferries out of both Ft Myers and Marco Island,but I don't think they carry any vehicles,passengers only.
post #3 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 12:52 pm

As far as I know, the ferry is passengers only, no cars or motorcycles. Here's a link:
http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/

If you haven't ridden down, the ride to Key West is really worth the trip. This time of the year, traffic shouldn't even be too bad.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

post #4 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 1:13 pm

The last few weeks in fl. we have had wild fires due to how dry most of our area is. Some of the roads have been shut down for a short time while the smoke clears. Tampa to Key West is a good full day ride. It would be nice to have a bike taken down the way you have in mind. Good forward thinking on your part. I don't know of any one doing it and I wish you luck. One item you may not be aware of at this time in fl. we are having many wild fires due to how dry there area is. Some of the roads will close because of the smoke until it is safe to drive. When you ride from Tampa to Key West you will cross some areas that this may be a problem. Try to check before you head down.
If your heart is not dead set on Key West you may want to take a look at the west side of Fl. along the Pan Handle on your way down to Tampa. Try US 19 Kola1
post #5 of 5 Old May 15th, 2007, 11:40 am

At least in South Florida, those fires are much less of an issue than they were just a few days ago. Most areas down here got two to five inches of rain yesterday, and it came down like it was being poured from a bucket. I don't think that it put ALL the fires out, but it sure slowed them down! Even down here, five inches of rain in less than an hour is a LOT of water!

From Naples, Key West is a five to six hour ride, including a fuel-rest stop. Its about 270 miles, the first one hundred you can make very good time, after that it gets much slower. Through the Keys, figure about 45 MPH, with rare passing opportunities.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in