Battery Tender Clicking Sound and Error Light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Battery Tender Clicking Sound and Error Light

I got an 07 Rt last December. I have always had it on the BMW battery tender. Last week I had GPS, Valentine Radar and Autocom installed by my dealer (Brown Motor Works - Pomona, CA) - they did a gret job by the way.

Went on a 3 day ride to Cambria.

When I went to put the battery tender on when I got home, I heard a faint clicking sound. No lights except the power light on the tender would light up. After a while the error light is on.

I have looked under the seat where the Autocom unit is and the red power light of the Autocom units blinks on and off with each clicking sound.

I have used both the front and the rear sockets - same result.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Lopaca; May 10th, 2007 at 11:33 pm. Reason: New Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 11th, 2007, 12:45 am

Bob,

I am not sure it is the same problem, but I had the red light blinking when I connected the Batery Tennder. What I found out was that connections on the Tender's plug had gotten disconnected, and hence the blinking light.

Check the plug by unscrewing the top and check for lost connection where the wire is attached to the plug. An easy fix if that is all that there is.

Good luck,

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:19 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopaca
I got an 07 Rt last December. I have always had it on the BMW battery tender. Last week I had GPS, Valentine Radar and Autocom installed by my dealer (Brown Motor Works - Pomona, CA) - they did a gret job by the way.

Went on a 3 day ride to Cambria.
Did you use the tender between the time that you got the new farkles installed and the ride to Cambria? If so, did it work before the ride to Cambria?

Quote:
When I went to put the battery tender on when I got home, I heard a faint clicking sound.
Can you localize the clicking sound? Is it coming from the tender or from the bike? If from the bike, is it coming from the Autocom, or one of the other new farkles?
Quote:
No lights except the power light on the tender would light up. After a while the error light is on.

I have looked under the seat where the Autocom unit is and the red power light of the Autocom units blinks on and off with each clicking sound.

I have used both the front and the rear sockets - same result.
Sorry, I don't understand. How did you use them, and what is the "same result"?

Quote:
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Suggestion 1: Call the installer, explain the symptoms, and ask if he/she knows what is wrong. If the dealer is not too far away, take the bike back for correction.
Suggestion 2: It sounds like the Autocom is on ("red power light") even with the bike off. See if you can ensure that all of the farkles are dead, then try the tender again. If none of the farkles are drawing power the bike's electrical system status should be the same as before the farkles were added, and your tender should work.
Suggestion 3: If #2 allows the tender to function again, turn "on" one farkle at a time, starting with Autocom. (note: this assumes that the other two items also remain "on" when the bike is off, which may be completely erroneous). If the tender works OK with each of the three farkles alone (note assumption above), start turning them on two at a time and seeing if the tender works.When the tender goes into error mode you have isolated the components of the new system that have caused the new problem.

Beyond that I am out of my depth (actually, probably way before that I am out of my depth!) . Don't know the RT, don't know if it has CANbus, don't know how the new electronics are wired in, I'm a wealth of ignorance! Hope others can come up with suggestions, but in the meantime see what the installer has to say. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 4 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I pulled the seat. The clicking is in synch (hey that would be a good name for a band!) with the red light blinking on the autocom.

The issue did not arise until after the autocom install.

By the same result I meant that it happens whether the tender is plugged into the front socket or the one by the rear seat.

I have to take the bike any anyways so I will have the dealer look into it.

Alvaro, thanks for the suggestion - even though it was working fine before, I will pull the plug apart and check it out.

Thanks again to all. I really appreciate the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in