Land Between the Lakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Land Between the Lakes

I am still trying to decide on my first trip of this season. Has anyone on this site had any experience with Land Between the Lakes in KY? Is it crowded there this time of year? Are the roads good and scenic? I understand they have cabins for rent which sure cuts down on the packing. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 7:29 am

As far as is it crowded this time of year I have no idea, but I would assume so. However for the cabins, they do have a some for rent and I have stayed in one. they are not huge but very nice for the price. I think we crammed about 7 to 8 people in this tiny house comfortably sleeping on the floor . depending if you want to share its very nice for only 2. I highly recommend the area, very beautiful scenery. Hope you have a nice time. I live about 5 hours from there but I doubt I can get any time off this summer to do a trip anywhere.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #3 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 7:31 am

I was there several years ago. I didn't stay overnight but it was a pretty area. I wouldn't expect it to be real busy during the week if it is before Memorial Day. On a nice weekend anytime of the year I would expect it to be fairly busy.

post #4 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 8:38 am

Thumbs up LbL

It is not crowded till the kids get out of school. It is isolated. Good roads in all directions. The deer are thick and... they have released Elk in the area in the past decade. I hope you can spot one from the distance because thay can get really big and they'd make the LT look like a toy.

Nearby town Paducah, KY is a really worthy destination also. River town with really great people.

Bottom line ... LbL is a great ride. Been there, camped there. You'll be amazed how isolated it is out there.
post #5 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 8:47 am

don't miss Cumberland Gap

One other note... I noticed you're in NC. If you are plotting a course ... do the Cumberalnd Gap area. The roads are really kept nice and the mountains and tunnels are some of the finest around. I really enjoy CG because little traffic, baby butt smooth roads... and I really get to open up the LT.

Another good riding area is the Mamouth Cave region in KY... it's kind of on your way to LbL.
post #6 of 7 Old May 11th, 2007, 12:04 am

Nice area. If an interest, ride over to Cairo, IL and stand at the bottom ten feet of Illinois, with the Mississippi on your right, the Ohio on the left, and the two giants merging right in front of you, like two big moving lakes. Awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:29 am

Lbl

No elk in the LBL,except behinh fences,no crowds at all,great riding.I live 1 mile from the lake in Aurora,Ky.Quite a few cabins available in this area.Only crowds are bass & crappie fisherman.Beware most of these counties are dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in