fog light relay - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 8th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

fog light relay

Ok, so I've gone through this forum in all areas I know to look in. And so far can't find what I'm looking for. I have installed fog lights on my 03 klt and would like to have them work off the high beam on the head light. Short of tieing into the wire going to the light itself, I can not find a high beam relay or fuse or anything related to high beam. Other than the wire goes into a bundle and goes off into lala land. God I love German technology. Can any one steer me in a direction? I want to mount my relay under the seat with heavier wire supplying the lights them selves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 7:57 am

I canít help with the location, but am curious as to why you would want to slave the fog lights to the high beam. Normally, in foggy conditions you would turn your high beam off so you get less light scattered back at you. I could see slaving driving lights to the high beam but not fog lights.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is no relay. A white wire goes from the handle bar switch direct to the high beam. The low beam wire is a white/green. You can tap in just behind the head light and run that to your fog relay. But I'll echo the other comment about not running high beam in the fog.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 10:44 am

The Aux lights I have

are a combination of one fog and one driving light. One for Close and the driving light to reach out in the distance. www.saeng.com (nightcutters)
The wiring harness set included a power line to the battery +/-. a relay for light side and a switch to close the relay. The switch I wired to the running light that is powered when the bike is running.
If you want the lights on with the High Beam you would wire the switch wire to the high beam wire.
NAPA has relays that are cheaper then the harness and you would need the wire also the connectors for the ends and a tool to compress the ends or solder and iron to heat it
For my time and effort the harness was perfect and it included instructions

Also the reflection of high beam light is not a good thing when you are in a situation where you need fog lights.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 11:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Another advantage of a relay is you can change the behavior of the circuit (e.g. turning "on" the fog lights when the high beam is "on") by switching from a NO (normal open) to a NC (normal closed) relay. So if you want to turn the fogs "off" when the high beams go "on" you can change the relay instead of rewiring.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I canít help with the location, but am curious as to why you would want to slave the fog lights to the high beam. Normally, in foggy conditions you would turn your high beam off so you get less light scattered back at you. I could see slaving driving lights to the high beam but not fog lights.
Driving lights are too focused. I needed a light that "splattered" over a wide area. The SR I live on winds up into the mountains, and driving at night, it's nice to see more of the road.
Thanks anyway,

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #7 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

lights

Thanks for the responses. I can't believe there's not a fuse or a relay involved in the head light circuit. That seems a bit odd, but given German technology, anything and usually is possible. Right now I have them wired into a rocker switch I mounted on the dash panel. It works, but would be a whole lot nicer if they were controlled through the high/low beam switch. Trying to find that switch in the middle of a turn can be "exciting".

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #8 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There IS a fuse but it is ahead of the switch rather than after it. Hot all the time the key is on so I didn't think that was of much use for your application.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 9:46 pm

I just installed a set of Piaas and used an autoswitch to use the turn switch cancel button to turn them on or off when ever I want to. I didn't know if I would like this but I found out I really do. It was about 25 bucks at A&S BMW. I like to use them when I want and not have to have other lights on.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 11 Old May 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
There IS a fuse but it is ahead of the switch rather than after it. Hot all the time the key is on so I didn't think that was of much use for your application.
Thanks John,
I guess that is what I shall do, tie into the wire there at the light and do it that way.
Thanks to all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #11 of 11 Old May 12th, 2007, 10:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by comstocklt
...It works, but would be a whole lot nicer if they were controlled through the high/low beam switch...
You could replace the manual switch with a relay by tying into the high beam (white wire) under the nose cone with a Scotch-lock or similar device. Use the connection to energize the relay's coil and switch on the fogs.

Motor On ,/'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in