Static After Autocom Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 7th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Static After Autocom Install

I had an autocom system installed by my dealer last week.

I have the Garmin 2820 with the XM Sat puck receiver, Valentine Radar, Radio/CD that came stock with the bike, bike to bike radio communication, and cell phone all hardwired (no bluetooth even though the 2820 has the capacity - I'm not convinced yet - maybe in a year or two).

There is static with all the accessories off and when I use a turn signal I can hear a very high pitched beep with every blink of the signal and when I brake with the front the static goes quiet.

The power was taken off of the front auxiliary/charger input by the radio buttons.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Lopaca; May 7th, 2007 at 6:59 pm. Reason: Adding information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 7th, 2007, 11:26 pm
Super Moderator

Cool Static

Yes I did have static under the following conditons:

Autocom Model ProM1
Wearing Musician Grade Earplugs (where you hear everything)

Was told it was a floating ground issue . . .

Purchased New
Autocom Super PRO AVI Duo Kit
Wearing Musician Grade Earplugs (where you hear everything)

Problem went away

Running:
376c GPS with XM
Cell Phone
Radio
iPod on Cassette Tape Adapter

Was told to reground everything and look for other grounding issues
Was told to put a capacitor on the motor to eliminate spark noise
Was told to put a suppressor on the audio lines feeding the Autocom

I did nothing other than upgrade

I was unable to hear any static when running helmet speakers - ambient noise and the inability for me to hear well just could not pick up static. Once I converted to in the ear speakers - whole world of difference!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 5 Old May 8th, 2007, 8:01 am

Lopaca,

Do you have a ground loop isolator installed? Of course, the dealer did it and you may not know. I read several posts about it on here and bought one before I installed my GPS. You may need one, too. They are less than $20 from an audio store and pretty much just plug in.

Can you unplug the GPS and see if it goes away? I didn't need one til I put the GPS on. Or unplug different components until you find out which one is causing the static.

Search "GLI" or "ground Loop Isolator" on here and you should find some posts about it.

Good luck
Randy

post #4 of 5 Old May 8th, 2007, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

you can buy a GLI at Rshack..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 5 Old May 8th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I just installed my Autocom with my 2820 and the wire they sold me for connecting the 2820 was wrong, lots of hum when it was turned on. Since the 2820 is powering the XM you need to get the 1314 with the isolater box on it. I installed that and all is silent but it does cut down the volume of the 2820 by about 30%. What I am going to do is get a good quality DC amp and run the 2820 through it and then in to the Autocom. The music was also going up and down and found out the noise sensor in the helmet was causing that so I disabled it and all good now. Important, make sure your ground in attached to your ground post on the battery Autocoms are very sensitive to this. Also all the connections should have been soldered. Autocom states that before you hardwire it in you need to put it where you want it and then power it up to make sure none of the bikes electronics are interferring with it. I bet yours is a grounding issue, if they are a Autocom dealer then call Autocom and complain, my dealer is one and they didn't know squat! I had to dig up info for myself and deal with the tech rep back in NY. I didn't install it the way they reccomended I put it in the oddements box above the radio.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; May 8th, 2007 at 2:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in