ABS lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 6:33 am Thread Starter

ABS lights

My 2004 1200LT has only done 7000km, it has a persistant fault that my local garage cant solve. I know that there is some very knowledgeable persons that use this site from my previous post so perhaps you can help.
The ABS & warning light flash together once every second, I think this means brake fluid level? But every thing has been checked out ok, also the computor check shows no fault. The brake lights are all OK, if I turn off & start again, the problem is still there. I have to drive around 20km then stop, turn off ignition & start again, this seems to work.
Do you have any idea what causes this, I do live in a warm country & wondered if excess temperature can cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 7:03 am

ABS lights

I had a similar problem, my lights would flash after rapid acceleration. Tried many options for a fix, finally took the bike to dealer I trust, BMW of Charlotte, NC. It turns out when I had a rear tire replaced in MO. the dealer there did not put the rear caliper bolts in the proper place. I don't know why they even had them off but now all is well.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 7:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryt
My 2004 1200LT has only done 7000km, it has a persistant fault that my local garage cant solve. I know that there is some very knowledgeable persons that use this site from my previous post so perhaps you can help.
The ABS & warning light flash together once every second, I think this means brake fluid level? But every thing has been checked out ok, also the computor check shows no fault. The brake lights are all OK, if I turn off & start again, the problem is still there. I have to drive around 20km then stop, turn off ignition & start again, this seems to work.
Do you have any idea what causes this, I do live in a warm country & wondered if excess temperature can cause this?
Make sure the rear reservoir of the dual reservoir behind the right pannier is full up to the neck. My '04 must be completely full, even beyond the max mark. I think the switches in the reservoirs have varying sensitivities.

Mine will behave as yours if not completely full. And FWIW the rear portion of the res. is for the front brakes.

Some will say a low battery will cause this, but in my case, I never get this fault even with an almost dead battery as long as the reservoirs are full.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 7:44 am

Cool

Typically, flashing abs lights mean low brake fluid in the rear fluid reservoirs, there are two in the rear, and one of them is somewhat hidden and is usually the culprit. It only takes a little bit to cause this problem, I have a syringe that I use to add fluid to mine. Hope this helps!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:34 am

A weak battery can also cause this, as well as worn brake pads. Flushing the brakes can also help. jrlakin
post #6 of 14 Old May 1st, 2007, 5:42 am Thread Starter

Many Thanks, I was not sure about the rear brake fluid level. I am sure that this is the problem. I will have the garage check.
post #7 of 14 Old May 1st, 2007, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Many thanks,
I will check this out.
post #8 of 14 Old May 1st, 2007, 6:03 am

My rear fluid res. needed only two or three drops of fluid and the flashing went away. I guess they are very sensitive.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 14 Old May 1st, 2007, 10:42 pm

Hey,

>>flashing abs lights mean low brake fluid in the rear fluid reservoirs, there are two in the rear, and one of them is somewhat hidden and is usually the culprit.

Where exactly are these rear reservoirs? My ABS lights flash but only once in a while so I am guessing that the level is close to full.

Glenn
post #10 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2007, 7:18 am

The two are actually in one reservoir. Just under the seat on the right side of the bike tucked under side panel. If you don't look carefully you will only see one reservoir filler cap, but there is another behind it. Very hard to get to without taking off the plastic but if you remove a screw or two and carefully pry the plastic out, you can get to the caps. Use a syringe to fill them. My lights were like yours only flashing occasionally and just a few drops fixed the problem.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:26 pm

second reservior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Typically, flashing abs lights mean low brake fluid in the rear fluid reservoirs, there are two in the rear, and one of them is somewhat hidden and is usually the culprit. It only takes a little bit to cause this problem, I have a syringe that I use to add fluid to mine. Hope this helps!

I have owned my 06 for 2 months and was really not wanting to buy a repair book or CD till I had to, well I think its time.....so where is this second reservior at?? I can get to the one on the right side the one that you check the level from the right bag.
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeam
I have owned my 06 for 2 months and was really not wanting to buy a repair book or CD till I had to, well I think its time.....so where is this second reservior at?? I can get to the one on the right side the one that you check the level from the right bag.
There seems to be a confusion about the one or two brake fluid reservoirs in different model years.
I was also looking for the second (or dual ) reservoir from my ´05 but there is only one in mine and yours.
I learned this during my 60.000 km service as the tech showed the pictures:

the first LTs 99 - 01 (or 02) came with one reservoir
02 (or 03) -04 came with two (or dual) reservoir
05 onwards again with one reservoir

Now, don't ask me more specific questions on the detail differences but this has someting to do with the different ABS generations and integral or non-intergral brake systems of different model years.

BTW, I have the flashing ABS light syndrome as well. I topped the only rear reservoir, the bike was computer checked last Tuesday during the service and the only thing that was found in the log was "incorrect sensor distance" on the front wheel. When it was measured the gap was normal. When I rode away from the service the warning light was away fro two days until started again.
Bike has not been soaked, nothing abnormal has happened etc.

What is going on?

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #13 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is for the 05 and up Integral ABS system.

The ABS monitored reservoirs for the wheel circuits are ON the ABS unit itself. The single reservoir back by the pannier is for the rear control circuit (it is not monitored). The wheel circuit reservoirs are accessible by removing the left side battery cover and are accessed for filling by removing the vent caps with an 8 mm hex wrench. The one for the front circuit is the tall one while the rear is the short one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2007, 5:03 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
BTW, I have the flashing ABS light syndrome as well. I topped the only rear reservoir, the bike was computer checked last Tuesday during the service and the only thing that was found in the log was "incorrect sensor distance" on the front wheel. When it was measured the gap was normal. When I rode away from the service the warning light was away fro two days until started again.
Bike has not been soaked, nothing abnormal has happened etc.

What is going on?

Regards
Hi Ari, I'm guessing that your dealer wiped the fault code after checking the sensor gap, so you had two days of flash-free riding. Since the system threw the fault code again, I'm guessing (in order of increasing expense, but not necessarily ease of diagnosis) a fault in the wiring (poor ground or broken/cut insulation, that sort of thing, but it only shows up intermittently); faulty sensor; or flakey ABS computer. Let us know what you find, ABS warning lights seem to be increasingly common. Thanks and good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in