Condor Dock = tipover!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Condor Dock = tipover!!!

Years ago they made a movie out of the classic "Little Rascals" movie shorts. In my favorite scene, "Alfalfa" is sitting on a curb, he's been thrown out of the "He-Man Woman Haters Club," lost his best friend Spanky, the smart, rich kid Waldo stole his girlfriend, the local dog ripped his pants, and a car splashed water on him. He sighs reflectively and says, "And the clouds parted, and God said, 'I HATE you, Alfalfa...'

So, in the last 6 weeks, I've been "downsized," got some really crappy medical news that would be a lot easier to deal with if I wasn't running out of medical insurance (COBRA is gonna' cost me $1,430 a month, anyone need a kidney? I was gonna' list it on Classifieds, but didn't know if it would interfere with Preferred Vendors) and now this...

I bought a Condor dock a number of months ago and have loved it, keeps the bike stationary, also keeps the wife from banging the thing when she parks. Normally I back into it so I can just ride out of it when I want to go for a cruise. Yesterday I went front wheel first, as I have 50+ times. Checked that it was fully in, dismounted, didn't think anything of it.

Fortunately, my lazy butt didn't park the car in the garage because I was working on a project on the other side.

An hour later I hear "CRRRRUNCHTHUMPPPPPP"

Out to the garage, LT is on it's side, front wheel still in the Condor, and all I can do is shake my head.

...and the clouds parted...

A friend told me that on a V-rod forum there have been a number of posts about the same incident, all involving new tires that were the ones docked. I've had the front Metz for a few weeks, but have most definitely scrubbed it in, with plenty of time in leans in Oklahoma on the Talimena (http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2694706&hl=en).

Gouges in the mirror, scratches in the left saddlebag and front tupperware, and I didn't even have the "fun" of dropping it myself...well, not directly.

Guess I need to figure out a way to strap it down in addition to docking it, anyone have suggestions (pics would help, I'm obviously pretty stupid...)

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Pete, sounds like insult being added to injury. Hope things turn around for you.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

nah, the insult to injury was that I had an item I JUST sold on Ebay, ready to pack up and ship, that the friggin bike landed on, that now is no longer sale-worthy!!!

someday I'll look back on all this and laugh...I think!

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Pete, there was a guy on this forum back end of last year selling DA pins .... (OK, not funny) - just when you think things won't get any worse, you get kicked in the teeth. I was lucky, had a classical edjecashun - best bit of latin I ever learnt - 'Nil Illigitimum Carborundum'

I hope things pick up for you soon,

All the best,

Wool.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #5 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, Wool, you're a good one.

although in a JUST world, my old boss' head would have broken the bike's fall

Still interested in suggestions and pics of anyone who uses the racks and supplements them with tie-downs...

post #6 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:14 am

I've fortunately never had this experience although my previous ride ('88 Venture) did slip in the chock once and nearly fall. After your experience I'm going to line the grip fingers with stair tread non-slip tape (kind of like sandpaper). Hopefully this will keep the tire from slipping and causing a tip over.

Thanks for the post and the impetus to take care of this before something unpleasant happens.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in