Allow me to vent - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Allow me to vent

Coming back to work from the gym, 4 lane fast food alley. Stupid bitch with cell phone in ear goes by in left lane, then cuts directly in front of me, no signal, no look, nothing. Lucky I'm always on alert in traffic. Got back beside her, gave her a good blast on the horn, she jumped, never knew I was there! What do you do about freakin idiots like this??? Talk about road rage, I wanted to shove that cell phone up her ass!!!!

I feel better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:33 pm

I do pretty much the same thing you do. Although I am leery of blasting anyone with an earful of horn if he or she is driving faster than a walking-pace, as there is a bizarre human tendency to veer *toward* objects that are capturing your attention rather than away from them, so I would risk getting run over by the person whose head I am trying to extract from his or her posterior.

So, I don't have much practical advice to offer you, but oodles of sympathy.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #3 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down

I would love to have the power to pass a law that bans drivers from using cell phones in moving vehicles, yes including bicycles too!
For the most part there is no reason to have entire conversations on the cell while driving. I would exclude emergency calls from the bill, of course. The road is NOT an extension of your home of office.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Makes me think of another current thread on Personal protection. Maybe a instead of a blast on the horn, a blast from a sawed off 12 guage. Kind of like Mel Gibson in Road Warrior.
post #5 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I would love to have the power to pass a law that bans drivers from using cell phones in moving vehicles, yes including bicycles too!
For the most part there is no reason to have entire conversations on the cell while driving. I would exclude emergency calls from the bill, of course. The road is NOT an extension of your home of office.
Washington just passed a law banning the use of hand-held phones while driving. It's a start, but only a baby step IMHO -- two reasons.

First, they made it only a secondary offense. You can only be cited if you are pulled over for a primary offense (how does "reckless endangerment" sound?).

Second, having one hand off the wheel isn't the big problem. Having your brain focused on something other than driving is the problem. When you are talking on the phone, a whole bunch of your brain is devoted to carrying on the conversation. Studies have shown that talking on the phone -- regardless of whether it's handheld or not -- is equivalent to having a blood alcohol content in excess of [corrected]0.1 in terms of impairing one's ability to drive a car.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Last edited by juggler; Apr 25th, 2007 at 2:07 pm.
post #6 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Red face

I believe California has one since 1 Jan 07.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #7 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_N
Allow me to vent
Coming back to work from the gym, 4 lane fast food alley. Stupid bitch with cell phone in ear goes by in left lane, then cuts directly in front of me, no signal, no look, nothing. Lucky I'm always on alert in traffic. Got back beside her, gave her a good blast on the horn, she jumped, never knew I was there! What do you do about freakin idiots like this??? Talk about road rage, I wanted to shove that cell phone up her ass!!!!

I feel better now.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about this! Kidding aside, inattentive drivers can cause an incredible amount of pain & suffering to those around them, as many of us here can readily attest to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Studies have shown that talking on the phone -- regardless of whether it's handheld or not -- is equivalent to having a blood alcohol content in excess of 1.0 in terms of impairing one's ability to drive a car.
Equivalent to BAC > 1.0? I would be very interested in seeing one or more of those studies and the supporting data/methodologies.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUIII
I believe California has one since 1 Jan 07.
Alas it won't be in effect until mid 08.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #9 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:55 pm

You helped educate her, albeit in a rather loud way. I'd do the same thing. Good job being aware.

There are a lot of reasons people don't see bikes. It's easy to blame the cell phone, but I've been cutoff by someone who was distracted by their kids, eating, etc. People are distracted by lots of things, and some people are just bad drivers. No matter how many lights you put on a bike, some people are looking for a car and just don't see it. Banning cell phones won't solve the problem. Now banning kids in cars, that's an idea (sarcasm).

All you can do is stay alert, and when it happens, help "educate". Once, I had a lady change lanes in front of me as I was coming up to a red light. I split the lane and stopped beside her. Before I could say my sarcastic "thank you", she said sorry. My anger vanished. What else can be said?

We all make mistakes. A mistake everyone can walk away from is a learning experience.
post #10 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Equivalent to BAC > 1.0? I would be very interested in seeing one or more of those studies and the supporting data/methodologies.
Well - not quite 1.0 but they state equivalent to 0.08 - CLICK and CLICK!

But as always, there are reports that refute these claims...

Just one more reason I need to proceed with development the "Personal Envelope of RF Protection" device. For legal reasons I can't call it a "cell phone jammer"...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #11 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Quote:
My apologies. I misplaced the decimal. Most studies, like this one, use .08 which is the legal limit in most (all?) states.
http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

Here's the complete report:
http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCog...ssment2003.pdf
Quote:
When controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, cell-phone drivers exhibited greater impairment than intoxicated drivers.
...as published in Human Factors
http://www.hfes.org/Web/PubPages/celldrunk.pdf
Quote:
When drivers were conversing on either a handheld or hands-free cell phone, their braking reactions were delayed and they were involved in more traffic accidents than when they were not conversing on a cell phone.
Some other light reading...
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...lldrive16.html
http://www.1800duilaws.com/article/s..._cellphone.asp

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Last edited by juggler; Apr 25th, 2007 at 2:20 pm.
post #12 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
My apologies. I misplaced the decimal. Most studies, like this one, use .08 which is the legal limit in most (all?) states.
That makes a huge difference!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Quote:
That makes a huge difference!
Yes it does. BTW, a local woman just set a state record when she blew a .47 after being stopped after having two minor collisions.
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...&date=20070419

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #14 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=deputy5211]Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about this! QUOTE]

Deputy- Funny thing is, if I was in my truck it would'nt even faze me. But on a bike it just pisses me off. People just don't give bikes any regard.

They are passing a law in VA that bans cell phones from drivers under 21. Big deal, what about everyone else?
post #15 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 2:36 pm
fas

Talking test....you passed

Quote:

I feel better now.
Glad you made it thru the test without her phone up her ass.....well done....

I had a cell phone gal yesterday in her mini-Honda SUV drifting into my lane and WOW was she indignant when I shared my feelings with her!

BITCHES!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #16 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 3:32 pm

I do understand your ire, and your response. BUT, I recall the third or fourth leading cause of motorcycle accidents/injuries is due to the road rage of others drivers, and doing what you did COULD cause some idoit out there to show you a thing or two. I recall last year I was riding to work on the Interstate, and this Semi ran right up on my ass, ( might add I was going over the speed limit myself) and when I saw him in my mirror, he was within a foot of my bike. I immediately got off in the emergency lane and once he passed me, he changed into the passing lane. I was so pissed, I started following him. I wanted to pass him and flip him off, but once I calmed down and thought about it, I realized he was in a much bigger vehicle than I was. The point is, be careful what you do to other drivers even if they are in the wrong!! jrlakin
post #17 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about this!
Deputy- Funny thing is, if I was in my truck it would'nt even faze me. But on a bike it just pisses me off. People just don't give bikes any regard.
I fully agree. I was in a TC six weeks ago and totaled my LT, and I am still off work and going to PT daily. But, it could have been a LOT worse, and I am happy to be here.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #18 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Venting

Refer to thread on carrying personal protection.

Ultra LT
post #19 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:15 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

We had a road rage similar to yours a few years ago. The truck driver ramed the bike. I beklieve the rider lost a leg.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #20 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Quote:
But, it could have been a LOT worse, and I am happy to be here.
So are we buddy, so are we!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #21 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:21 pm

While I am as pissed off at assholes like this woman as you are, you can't let people like her get to you. If you do in the end you will have a heart attack and she will still be a stupid bitch talking on her cell phone...

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #22 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Here in NJ there is a law against driving with a cell phone up your ass. We're always a step ahead of the rest of the country!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #23 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 4:54 pm

I always give them the horn and as I pass them I point to my eyes, as in PAY ATTENTION MORON!

So far, I haven't been shot!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #24 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I always give them the horn and as I pass them I point to my eyes, as in PAY ATTENTION MORON!

So far, I haven't been shot!
Brett, you are a disaster waiting to happen!!! And that would be a bad thing!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
Here in NJ there is a law against driving with a cell phone up your ass. We're always a step ahead of the rest of the country!
But you're one step behind the great state of NEW YORK, the first state in the UNION to ban cell phones.

Not that it does much good. People still talk away on those blasted things. The only thing that changed is that now people hid the phone in the car as they drive pass a LEO.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #26 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Wink We need those milliseconds

This was posted some time ago. It's about multi-tasking and the cost in reaction time while driving.

Drivers, Put Away Those Cell Phones: Study Shows Multi-Tasking Comes with a Cost
12-08-05

By Mark Floyd, 541-737-0788
Source: Mei-Ching Lien, 541-737-1375

CORVALLIS, Ore. - Most people can rather efficiently walk and chew gum at the same time, but when it comes to more complicated "multi-tasking" - like driving and talking on a cell phone - there is a price to pay.

And no one, it seems, is immune.

"There is a cost for switching from one task to another and that cost can be in response time or in accuracy," said Mei-Ching Lien, an assistant professor of psychology at Oregon State University. "Even with a seemingly simple task, structural cognitive limitations can prevent you from efficiently switching to a new task."

Psychologists who study multi-tasking have argued for years about whether these "information bottlenecks" occur because people are inherently lazy, or because they have a fundamental inability to switch from one task to another. New studies by Lien and her colleagues at the NASA Ames Research Center in California suggest it is the latter.

Results of their study have been published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology.

In their study the researchers asked volunteers to respond to a variety of auditory and visual cues then measured the responses. When the volunteers prepared for one task, such as responding to the color red, their responses were swift and accurate. When the researchers added a second element - the recognition of shapes as well as color - the task switch considerably delayed the responses, even when the volunteers were prepared for it.

"People are surprised that there is such a delay," Lien said. "Practice can help a person reduce the 'cost' of switching tasks, but it apparently cannot eliminate that cost."

Lien said the study can be applied to the real world, especially to drivers who talk on cell phones. On the surface, she said, it appears that drivers are trying to accomplish just two tasks - driving and conversing. But each task is complicated and multi-faceted, greatly increasing the "cost" of switching.

The result: inattention and slow reaction times.

"A lot of people think talking on the cell phone while driving is natural, but each time someone asks a question or changes the subject, it's like taking on a new task," Lien said. "It requires a certain amount of thought and preparation. It's actually quite different than listening to the radio, where you don't need to respond.

"And it's also different from talking to a passenger in the vehicle," she added. "In most cases, a passenger can observe when there is a dangerous traffic situation and keep quiet. But someone calling you on a cell phone won't have a clue."

There are individual differences in the costs of multi-tasking, Lien said. In her lab studies, a typical response to a single stimulus might take 300 milliseconds. Adding a second task increases the response to about 800 milliseconds.

A millisecond is 1/1000th of a second, so the delay may not seem like much - until you extend the difference to a car driving 60 miles an hour and realize the response rate more than doubles, Lien said.

In her lab studies, she has yet to test any volunteers who are immune to delays in multi-tasking, though she says some students do much better than others. "I have to say that the best ones are those who play a lot of video games," she pointed out. "Those are lab studies, however, and not driving tests."

She became interested in multi-tasking while working at the NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett, Calif., where she was part of a team analyzing cockpit design and pilot function. One of the projects focused on how much information can safely and efficiently be included on screens and monitors so the pilots' delay and loss of accuracy are minimized.

"We learned to modify some of the screens to mitigate their weaknesses," she said.

While Lien's studies suggest that simplifying tasks leads to greater efficiency, technology is complicating everything we do - including driving. Drivers often use cell phones, CD players, global positioning systems, radar detectors, complicated dashboards and other devices. At the same time, they must navigate increasing traffic, read a plethora of signs, and handle other distractions.

"We may be undermining our ability to drive safely," Lien said.

About Oregon State University: OSU is one of only two U.S. universities designated a land grant, sea grant, space grant and sun grant institution. Its more than 19,000 students come from all 50 states and more than 80 countries. OSU programs touch every county within Oregon, and its faculty teach and conduct research on issues of national and global importance.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #27 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cell phones seem to be the least of my concerns this day and age. Last ride I took up I-95 there was a driver coming up fast behind me, left lane is packed so he tries the right lane to get around. He is all over the road, as I watch him looking down at the steering wheel trying to type on his Black Berry with both thumbs not even looking where he is going. At least while talking on the phone most time you have an eye on the road. If anything should be banned it should be typing on a hand held while driving. As far as laws go, I think that no body should be able to drive a car until they have logged a years worth of miles on a motorcycle, if they survive then they can apply for a car license (talk about helping population control)

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #28 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 7:36 pm

The Hells' Angels in San Diego have a solution for your problem:

A rather (ahem) large ball peen hammer that is carried in a holster, perfectly legal and excellent for smashing side view mirrors. They call it a "Policeman".

Message sent to the offender with an extremely expensive and time consuming repair "out of pocket" from the insurance deductible, and the results of dealing immediatley (think Zen moments) with anger management issues are cheaper and faster acting than Prozac.

My best advice? Get a hyperlight and run it on high beam ALL THE TIME.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 25th, 2007 at 7:43 pm.
post #29 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't get me started

There are so many idjits out there behind the wheel of a car who are
  • talking on a cell phone, or doing associated tasks (connecting, disconnecting, charging; futzing with their Bluetooth earpiece)
  • reading (maps, books, newspapers, magazines, owner's manual)
  • working the crossword puzzle (and now, Sudoku)
  • eating (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks; my favorite was the guy eating breakfast cereal... from a bowl... with a spoon!)
  • drinking (water, coffee, pop, beer, liquor)
  • smoking (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, dope)
  • making out (or petting, or worse)
  • messing with the radio/cd/tape
  • adjusting the climate control
  • checking on "junior" in the back seat
Which of these activities do we make illegal? And if they're all illegal, who's going to enforce it? I think the police have better (more serious) things to do and can't/won't respond until it causes a problem, unfortunately. Tying another thread into this one: How about traffic cams that spot this kind of behavior?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #30 of 46 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Cell phone banned by city ordinances

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Albuquerque banned cell phone use for drivers. It is a good start ... make up, eating meals, napping, sex, and monopoly should be added to the list of don'ts.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #31 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 1:22 am

Passing on the Left

I agree about the cell phone users but most of my issue is that they should stay to the right. I HATE passing on the right but most of the people on the highway that I end up passing on the right are on a cell phone. I do admit that I may take the cage to work some times so I can make some calls on the way but when I do I am cognizant of the traffic around me. No matter what I am driving don't cruise in the left lane!
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #32 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 4:36 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

I feel better now.
Yes, Bruce, and why do these chicks always seem to be driving those 3 ton SUV's getting 8 MPG, also?!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #33 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 5:55 am

making out (or petting, or worse)

This does distract the driver! It sure is fun, kinda like th mile-high club!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #34 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
making out (or petting, or worse)

This does distract the driver! It sure is fun, kinda like th mile-high club!
Unless the cager is *alone*. Yes, I *have* passed someone doing this. Ick.

Here's the next thing to worry about: I just saw an ad on TV last night for a cell phone that is also a digital TV. Great! Junior will be propping that up on the dashboard and watching South Park while driving.

I hope our resident LEOs will correct me if I am wrong... we have all the laws we need: Driving while distracted, and reckless endangerment. We just need to educate folks about what "distracted" means, and enforce the laws. No?

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #35 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:08 am

You know, it's one thing when an inattentive driver cuts you off because they are not paying attention but on the way to work this morning (down 4 lane I-635) I get cut off by not 1 but 2 cars (tailgaiting each other) who pass me, I am doing 65 in a 60 next to the inside lane, because some idiot driving in the inside lane is going too slow for them. I saw what was coming and was ready for it thank God. They knew I was there but they didn't give a #%*@. I was just on a motorcycle and what could I do. There are always going to be as#&^%*& out there so we have to just be ready and not let it get to us. Takes the fun out of riding. However that shotgun idea sounds...........

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #36 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:19 am

Thumbs up

I always just assume that every cage out there is trying to kill me. So I'm rarely surprised at being cut off or having cars pull out in front of me. I'm also pleasantly surprised when I'm not rear-ended at red lights.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #37 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
. However that shotgun idea sounds...........
I'm thinking strongly about the ball peen hammer, you could just chuck it in the weeds after you knock out a window........
post #38 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:48 am

This reminds me of a time last year when I was riding my Honda ST1100 while following my wife who was also on her way to work. There is a 45 mph road leaving my town that is about 2 miles long for some reason, but it is posted quite well and everyone feels the need to drive 65 on this 4 lane 45mph road. Anyway a guy on his phone cut my wife off on which caused me to also slam on my brakes and well I don't put of with that crap. I was on a bike that accelerates quit well and I got in front of him and slowed him down to 55mph(the speed limit for the next 10miles) the rest of the way as my wife was driving next to me in the other lane. When I got to work that same guy pulled into the same parking lot and well he was a big guy, but so am I at 6'2" 220lbs. I marched right over to him in full gear minus the helmet and began to let him have a piece of my mind and told him if he cut anyone off again I would report him for wreckless driving. He now takes a different route to work through the country. I Have only seen him once or twice since then.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #39 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:18 am

Have you ever noticed, when you're driving, that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a *maniac*?

George Carlin
post #40 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:32 am
JDW

Yeah I think we need a new law for everything that makes us angry. I dont think we have enough laws yet. Forget about educating the public, never works. In fact i am hoping that a law is passed that requires us to wear full body armour before leaving the house. Just think how many lives that would save. Yep definitly more laws needed.
post #41 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:35 am

I know my actions probably wasn't the safest for me, but a 55mph is a 55mph. Technically speaking I wasn't breaking the law. I was that guy in the left lane though, so I apologize for that but an eye for and eye or something like that.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #42 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Venting

Risky Business in this town. home of road rage. Could easily not be talking about it here.

Ultra LT
Charlotte (home of the worst drivers anywhere in the USA - China is much worse)
post #43 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 1:49 pm

If cell phone use while driving here were banned, what would the police do ?

I see them on the road constantly yakking away on cell phones, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, and rarely using turn signals. It seems the only time they DONT seem to be using the phones, is when they are on an emergency call and are using the warning lights.
I'm on the road most of the day, and see it everyday. And yes, I use my cell phone while driving ( not on the bike, I rarely use the radio), because it is part of my job...a very important part.

Inattentive driving is everybody's responsibility to look out for, and educate those who are causing the problem, not emulate them.

I have very much respect for those who have chosen a carreer in law enforcement, but no respect for those who think they are beyond civil law, especially those who chose to ignore these laws because nobody is policing THEM !

Drive defensive, ride safe.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #44 of 46 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 2:26 pm

You know. Before there were cell phones, there were careless, stupid, rude drivers. Banning cell phones will not stop them from driving. They're not careless, stupid, or rude because they have a cell phone. They're careless, stupid, or rude people WITH a cell phone.

Concentrate on the action. Not the object.
post #45 of 46 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 7:10 am

Quote:
Talk about road rage, I wanted to shove that cell phone up her ass!!!!

I feel better now.
I was out riding on a country road. I pulled up behind a SUV that was stopped at a stop sign. I sat there and waited . . . . and waited . . . . and waited. Finally I blew my horn. The driver stuck out her arm and motioned for me to pass. I pulled up beside her and she was chatting on her cell phone. She removed it from her ear just long enough to say something to me. I told her she could drive a lot better if she would take her cell phone and shove it up her ass. I shouldn't have done that. But it made me feel a lot better.
post #46 of 46 Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:33 am

Brett is a disaster. What's your point?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in