1200LT oil level - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Exclamation 1200LT oil level

Hello folks, this is my first post to your fantastic site. I have a 2004 K1200LT. I have a problem when checking the engine oil level, there seems to be a black disc behind the level window that prevents you from seeing the level. Can anyone explain this or have you got the same problem? my bike is 2004.
Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 6:53 am

you sure its not over filled and all you see is oil ??
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 7:09 am

The clear plastic can get coated on the inside to a point you cannot see through it well, but if you do not have a lot of miles on it it may be just as another person said, oil level too high. Put it on the sidestand and see if you can see the oil level. If not, get a BIG friend to put the sidestand up and lean it a little more to the left to check.

The rear of the sightglass assembly is silver.

If you do find that it is a "smoked" glass, it can be replaced, a new one is around $18. There are posts here on ways to remove it, a socket the right size can be used with a hammer to knock the new one back in.

Some use a large sheet metal screw in a hole drilled or punched through the assembly to pry it out or use a slide hammer on, I used a long punch up through the oil filter cover to knock it out. I do not recommend drilling the hole, as that can leave metal particles in your oil pan. Melt a hole in the plastic with a soldering iron, then punch the hole in the metal for the screw.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:45 am

Another method recommended to me by a BMW service manager is to simply drive a screw driver clear through the plastic front and metal backing. Then simply pry it out. Works great.

-joel
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:03 am Thread Starter

No, it has 3.5 litre of oil. Thanks for your reply.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:07 am Thread Starter

I can assume now that this is a common problem, the cover behind my sight glass is definately black with a very small hole in the centre & a red ring around the outside. I cant understand why BMW make it like this. It may be on some bikes only & not othres.
Thanks for your reply.
Harry
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Try this - put the bike on the center stand and start the engine. Now look at the sight glass. It should look different as when the engine is running there will be no oil to be seen. Then shut off the engine while watching the sight glass - you will see the oil level rise. The black disc is actually the oil.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Hi John,
The oil is fresh, the disc behind looks to be inserted at the factory? I have not seen this on other bikes I have owned including a R100RT.
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryt
I can assume now that this is a common problem, the cover behind my sight glass is definately black with a very small hole in the centre & a red ring around the outside. I cant understand why BMW make it like this. It may be on some bikes only & not othres.
Thanks for your reply.
Harry
No, it is a clear plastic cover plate, which has the center and red rings marked on it. There is a small space behind this, then a silver metal plate in the rear, with holes around the outside edge of it for oil to go between the two. Normally, you see the silver metal plate behind the clear plastic, with oil between them, so you can see the level. If it is black, it is either oil filled to over top, or the plastic has become "smoked over" on its inside surface. Not uncommon, especially if you have over 40K miles. They make replacements easily available.

Go to your dealer and ask to look at a new one, and it will become clear (pun intended)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 6:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hi John,
The oil is fresh, the disc behind looks to be inserted at the factory? I have not seen this on other bikes I have owned including a R100RT.
Everything David S. said and the oil in my LT goes black the first time I start it after a change. Try my little experiment. I just realized where you are - I spent a little time over on the east coast at Fujairah back in 1992. Hope the riding is good in your area - I didn't get to ride in Fujairah at all.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Hello folks, this is my first post to your fantastic site. I have a 2004 K1200LT. I have a problem when checking the engine oil level, there seems to be a black disc behind the level window that prevents you from seeing the level. Can anyone explain this or have you got the same problem? my bike is 2004.
Thanks,
Harry
I took a couple pics for you. My bike is up on the center stand. Grab a flashlight and compare when the bike is cold, then take out out around the block to warm it up, leave it running and put it back up on the center stand and look at it while it's running. The oil should look to be lower since it's being moved thru the system. Compare and see if you can tell a difference.

If you don't see much difference it may be too full. A good way to tell is if you're spitting oil out on the ground when you start your bike up.

Right Side Snapshot:

Bike On = Oil Level Lower:

Bike Off after warmed up = Oil Level Higher:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike on.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	11204   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike off.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	11205   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	11206  

Last edited by Seattle; Apr 24th, 2007 at 8:16 pm.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Quote:
No, it has 3.5 litre of oil. Thanks for your reply.
3.5 Litres or 3.5 quarts?
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your very clear explanation, the bike has done 4000 miles only.
Regards, Harry
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

John,
I am off to Fujairah this weekend, its a 3 hour drive from Abu Dhabi. But not very interesting. Thanks for your message.
Harryt
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

3.5 litre.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in