CLC 2 LT or Not - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

CLC 2 LT or Not

Hi Y'all

As an acknowledged and distinguished member of the ND (Non Droppers) society, I got to thinkin' I might have to move up to the LT class to become a member of DA. Seriously ... as a new and very happy owner of a new R1200CLC, it seems like I've got all the goodies you guys have (heated seat and grips, large trunk, side bags, AM/FM/WB/CD/Intercom available, electronic cruise control, etc.). With my ZTechnic tall windscreen, I've got great wind coverage and this bike is the least affected by wind of any bike I've ever ridden. My wife says she's in love with the bike and we can never sell it! I was actually looking at LT's when I bought the new CLC. I kind of got scared away from the big girl while reading about all of the mechanical failures. I've never ridden an LT but put many miles on a GL1800 and two Harley Ultra Classics. What am I missing out on ... what does the LT do much better than the CLC? Anyone wish they hadn't left their CLC behind?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'04 R1200CLC, Mojave Brown, tan seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you're happy with your bike! I came from HD Banishment directly to the LT... some say it stands for "Light Truck".. I say "Lunch Truck" =)

One thing for sure, it doesn't stand for "Lame Tourer". This is a fine motorcycle... I may have an additional one, but the LT's here for good.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmUU
... as a new and very happy owner of a new R1200CLC, it seems like I've got all the goodies you guys have ......My wife says she's in love with the bike and we can never sell it! ......What am I missing out on ... what does the LT do much better than the CLC? ....
In short, don't change a thing. If you're happy and the S.O. is happy, then stick with it and enjoy the ride.

The difference between them is "potential" pace. I say potential because it's a function of how YOU ride. With the right rider the LT will run away from the CLC top end and cornering. However, if that's not your style, then there really is not going to be a difference in favor of the LT. The CLC has a lower CG and seat height for those with average inseams. Giving it somewhat better low speed manners.

I love the looks of the CLC and, but for the existence of the LT, we would have gone that route. For us, see reasons above, the LT fits us the way it seems the CLC fits you two.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 2:27 pm
fas

your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmUU
Hi Y'all

As an acknowledged and distinguished member of the ND (Non Droppers) society, I got to thinkin' I might have to move up to the LT class to become a member of DA. Seriously ... as a new and very happy owner of a new R1200CLC, it seems like I've got all the goodies you guys have (heated seat and grips, large trunk, side bags, AM/FM/WB/CD/Intercom available, electronic cruise control, etc.). With my ZTechnic tall windscreen, I've got great wind coverage and this bike is the least affected by wind of any bike I've ever ridden. My wife says she's in love with the bike and we can never sell it! I was actually looking at LT's when I bought the new CLC. I kind of got scared away from the big girl while reading about all of the mechanical failures. I've never ridden an LT but put many miles on a GL1800 and two Harley Ultra Classics. What am I missing out on ... what does the LT do much better than the CLC? Anyone wish they hadn't left their CLC behind?

Thanks.
Stephen,

The GT is better than the top heavy LT, IMNSHO. GT has power and low cog with dry sump. I prefer K over R. LT is really a fine machine and I loved mine for four years. But this GT is just an amazing package.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 2:42 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Stephen,

The GT is better than the top heavy LT, IMNSHO. GT has power and low cog with dry sump. I prefer K over R. LT is really a fine machine and I loved mine for four years. But this GT is just an amazing package.
Howdy Rob,

A word of caution, Stephen mentioned that his wife "loved" riding the CLC. No slight is intended, but the GT is not anywhere near as pillion friendly as either of two bike Stephen mentioned. IMHO, worth exactly what you're paying for it.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 5:06 pm

If you like it, and you are happy and so is the SO, then that is all that matters. I had a Harley Utra Classic, and was considering either an LT, or a CLC, so I test rode both of them at my dealer. He happened to have a CLC left over. I liked the CLC, but didn't really think it had anything over my Ultra Classic, and since the Harley was paid for, why spend more money on something that didn't WOW me. I then rode the LT, and immediately loved it and knew that was my next bike. I actually didn't buy one right way, but it was only a few months later I had a 2000 LT with 8500 miles in the garage. I have a friend who has a CLC, and he loves his. Again, if you like it and so does the SO, who cares what we think.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 6:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. While I'm pretty sure I've already got the right bike, I'll probably end up test riding an LT just to make sure.

As to comparing the CLC to the Ultra Classic, I think the CLC has quite a few advantages.

1. More room for the pillion
2. Seems more planted the faster you go, CLC happy at 90, Ultra feeling light on the front end above 80
3. Much better ride with fewer bottom outs
4. Huge improvement in braking
5. No back cylinder burning my right leg problems
6. Less chrome to have to polish

1. Nice low COG on the Harley
2. Great EFI and low speed throttle control
3. Less driveline slack with the belt drive
4. Belt drive totally quiet

Stephen
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 9:06 am

The CLC is a good looking bike and if Mama is happy....

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 9:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

"DON'T TEST RIDE THE LT!!" if you really like your CLC. I had, and loved, an '04 CLC and made that mistake. After 10 miles into a demo ride I knew the LT had to be my next bike. I put 36k(22 months) on "Blackie" before she was totaled and allowed me to move to "Ophelia" much sooner. She now has 36k since 10/1/06 and I don't look back.
There was not one thing wrong about the CLC, they are just two different rides.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 6:44 am

I test rode the CLC after owning an LT for over a year. If you are willing to consider a change and will take action if it makes sense, then you really need to test drive an LT. If you are just curious about it, and won't do something about it after you test ride it, don't take a test ride!!! Once you do, you will not be content until you switch or own both.

In my opinion, there really isn't any similarity other then they both have two wheels. I own an LT and will continue to do so. If you are interested in better handling, smoother ride, better performance, more comfort for your wife, better protection just to name a few things you both should give it a try. If you have an attachment to your CLC and never want to let it go, then don't. Just test ride the LT and you will be glad you did one way or the other.

Good Luck
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:42 pm

Thumbs up I owned an

03 CLC and 04 CL. Was very pleased with them. SO Liked the ride much better then the R80RT. The vibration on the 03 made the mirrors useless.
(though it did get better with new tires and service. With close to 24K mi.
I trashed it and replaced it with 04. Twin plugs smoothed out vibration and also the surging. Very smooth. both had enough power for what I needed,
Bike would pull in any gear but to really enjoy the ride i was downshifting a lot. There was also a side stand problem that BMW finally fixed by doing a change of model and just transferring the great financial deal to the LT.
This does all I want, not just what I need. SO loves the smoooooooth ride and heated seat.

The LT is a joy.
I miss the CL a little and may add one to the garage someday

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 4:09 pm

When I took the 05' LT in for intercom to be installed they gave me a blue CLC to use until they had mine done. I rode it for a week as they waited for a part they forgot to order. I don't want to "dis" one's ride but to tell the truth the CLC is not even close to being in the same league as the LT. If your happy with your bike thats whats is important then keep it, if your thinking about a change then go give the LT a test ride, a long one and give it a good test.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Well ... I think I'm going to try and hold off. Maybe test ride the K12LT replacement if one comes along in a year or two. But then on the other hand, there's temptation to deal with. Have to attend an Oracle University class up in Orlando Tuesday and Wednesday. It's dangerously close to BMW of Orlando and I see they've got a gold '05 LT in the pre-owned section of their web site.

Stephen
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:05 pm

Well you asked for opinions so here's a free one .. To ride in all kinds of weather and have the confidence that the bike isn't going to let me down,well it can only be the LT for me....

Allot of talk about a new LT maybe on the horizon as a Goldwing killer,, but that doesn't make allot of sense cause the LT sticks with the wing in most areas and excels in many more..... Just my opinion but you and the wife need to test the LT.......... Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in