Your thoughts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Your thoughts

Wondering what your thought are about my issue.

Took the bike out towards the end of March, started just fine no problems. Live in MN so this was the first time out. Rode the bike a couple of times then we got some snow and cold weather as a lot of people did in the beginning of April so had to let the big girl sit for a couple of weeks. This last weekend the weather was nice snow gone, so the SO and I wanted to go for a ride, went to start the bike and she would not start. I put the charger on for 15 minutes and she started right up, went out for a couple of hours and then home and then rode again a couple other times in the past few days. Nice day yesterday, taking the bike to work stopped by the club to get a little workout in and when I went to leave, nothing. I had power, radio came on, light dash, but she would not turn over, nothing. Needless to say bike got towed to the place I bought but they are busy now and it might be a week or two before they get to it. Wondering if anyone else has has this issue or what your thoughts are as to what might be the issue. Battery is the first thing that came to my mind. I did check to make sure that everything was off also (meaning I have my communications powered from the battery with a cut off switch and it was off, I checked it several times to make sure when we last rode).
Thanks for any comments you may have.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:30 am

I loved my LT, don't get me wrong, but those bikes are VERY hard on batteries. You probably just need to revitalize it with a good 2A charger overnight. Then use a trickle charges (Battery Tender) during times when you're not riding it for a few days at a time. Or . . . you may need a new battery. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that all of your recent issue are battery related.

HTH
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:32 am

Try cleaning the battery posts where the cables connect. Maybe just a little corrosion from the damp weather.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Lightbulb

+1 on what Joe said.

The LT won't start with a battery somewhat discharged, but your accessories will work. Give the battery a good charge and try again.

You did not specify how old you bike and the battery are. The LT batteries last about 3-4 years, so maybe it is time for a new one, or maybe a good charge will do the trick for you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:59 am
fas

batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I loved my LT, don't get me wrong, but those bikes are VERY hard on batteries. You probably just need to revitalize it with a good 2A charger overnight. Then use a trickle charges (Battery Tender) during times when you're not riding it for a few days at a time. Or . . . you may need a new battery. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that all of your recent issue are battery related.

HTH
+1

My LT ate three batteries in four years. I always used the BMW trickle charger too. My dealer (I adore) gave me two free. IMNSHO, put a new battery in her and ride.

SO's GT-S has a battery warning indication so you don't get stranded with low power batteries. The techs there at TRD told me their batteries last four to seven years then they just drop below the power to run the systems on even keel.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:24 pm
jsr

Likely Battery

From your profile I see you have an 05 and my 05 needed a new battery this year. I could tell it was headed south at the end of last year by how it cranked on the starts when temps were in the 35-45 degree range.

Hope that is it for yours as well as it is a simple fix.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My 05 ate the battery back last summer... at 9 months of age...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
My 05 ate the battery back last summer... at 9 months of age...
You must be power hungry!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You must be power hungry!
Howdy, Gilles! Yup.. is there EVER enough? I bought the new battery.. did not even ask for a warranty ticket on it... Guess I'm used to the old HD 9-12 month rule...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2007, 6:53 am

Battery needs a good charging. Mine was like that back in the "cold" of winter here in NC. Wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few days. Now that I got it charged pretty well and been riding more, it's fine. Best I can tell it's original battery in an 03.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in